Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2010, 12:03   #1
BHPian

White POLO HL Petrol finally arrived

After long wait of more than four months I finally got delivery of white Polo 1.2 petrol Highline on 15th July 2010. Soon after taking the delivery I was travelling for work almost for three weeks (Not in my Polo). I thought I should drive the car for atleast couple of 100 kms before I write something about it. Yesterday I finished about 250 kms. So now I am writing.

Although wait was long and somewhat frustrating, delivery experience was quite good. I was promised delivery on 15th. It took little more time than expected for finance disbursement, still delivery was given to me on 15th July at 5.30 pm. The concerned sales person explained me functioning of various features and support features in Detail. It took almost 20 minutes for all the explanations. The Pooja was also arranged by the dealer. After thanking the saleman and handing him over token gift I cranked the engine of my new polo to drive home the beauty as dusk time.

Some of the features (outside the care) he explained are:
During warranty just a phone call is enough to get help even if wheel gets punctured one call to VW toll free number and company mechanic will come and change the wheel. If you get stranded away from home town and vehicle needs repairs for couple of days, you will be provided free accommodation in 5 star hotel by VW for such time. If more time is required, you will be provided standby vehicle and your vehicle will be delivered to you after repairs at your home town, etc. Unfortunately all this was told in words. I am trying to locate the document that explains these features.

After driving the car for more than 200 kms, mostly within the city I have following comments to offer –

1. For city driving POLO 1.2 petrol car appears little under powered. OR at least the low end torque is dismal requiring frequent down shifting. (This is my personal opinion as I was using Palio 1.9 D for 7 years and low end torque of that car was fantastic as compared to Polo).
2. Controls, i.e. steering, gear shift, clutch and brakes are very smooth and easy to operate.
3. Even seat belts are very smooth as compared to other, even more up-market sedans.
4. Suspension is soft and hence shock absorbing is great in city over the speed breakers. What will happen during fast ride on highways need to check later.
5. I must be getting almost 11 kms per liter of petrol for city ride with AC always on. This is not bad figure translating to Rs. 5/km fuel expense.
6. Engine is bit noisy. Engine note during pick up and driving @ 50 / 60 kmph is very unusual. It sounds more like a motorcycle or six seater fut-fut. I trust this is because of three cylinder set up.
7. There is sure vibration during idling. One can feel it on the driving seat. It helps you confirm that engine is running but not very welcome feature.
8. Responses are good and you always feel in total control.

What I liked –

a. Very good build quality and design. All small details are very well attended.
b. Smooth controls always responding to your command.
c. Quality of interiors, upholstery, plastics is good.
d. Car is spacious enough for its category.
e. Behaves well on road.
f. Certain features: Boot opening – normal as well as emergency, auto central locking, lane change signal, headlight adjustment, European style door opening in stages.

What I did not liked –

i. Engine noise character.
ii. Vibrations in idling.
iii. Reverse way controls for turn signals and wipers.
iv. Head lights are not powerful enough for Highway driving.
v. Manner in which reverse gear is engaged.
vi. Unfriendly user’s manual.

The user manual is common for all Polo and other similar models sold by VW throughout world. It is therefore quite confusing and unfriendly. It also tells us that VW has heavily cut-down on features for Polo Indian version.
Still, I believe there are certain features that would not have added much to the cost should have been incorporated.

They are –
1. Vanity mirror in sun visor for passenger
2. Ash tray
3. Cigar lighter (there is 12V socket but no lighter)
4. USB port for music system
5. Foot rest next to clutch
6. Seat belt warning

These Six features together will surely not cost more than Rs. 1000~1500.

Some more features, little costlier than above, if added, will certainly go long way in making the car much liked –

o Electric folding of ORVMs (adjustment not very essential but folding/unfolding is, for Indian Road conditions)
o Climate control system.
o Insulation for engine compartment for petrol version also.
o Rain sensor for wipers.
o Bluetooth for cellphones.
o Better wipers like passat/ punto emotion+

Irrespective of all the criticism I have listed above, the car is good. It gives you the assuring feeling that you are in safe environment when you shut the door. I hope it will also give long service.
Pictures to follow…
Old 24th August 2010, 12:37   #2
BHPian

Congrats on your new car.
A good report, I must say.
Now, when can we have the pics.

wish you many miles of safe driving.
Old 24th August 2010, 13:21   #3
BHPian

Congrats

Hey Canpush,

Congrats on the car, the number of Polo's is slowly increasing on T-BHP and looks like a winner after initial surge of Figo's. It would be interesting to see that once the waiting period comes down for Polo then who would win.

Also do post lots of pics and I guess you are fine with the high clutch position.
Old 24th August 2010, 23:30   #4
Senior - BHPian

Congrats CANPUSH! Do post pictures of the white beauty. Seems like 4 months is an average waiting period for a Polo. I'll be getting mine this week mostly, after 4 months of booking! I wonder if this car will go the Fortuner way and VW would be forced to stop taking bookings for some time.
Old 25th August 2010, 10:21   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on the Polo. Completely agree with you on the missing list of features. These features would not have pushed the cost by even 1%. Not sure as to why VW skimmed so much on these little features.

Do enjoy many more miles with the Polo and post the pics of the car.
Old 25th August 2010, 11:40   #6
BHPian

Many Congrats on your new Polo Canpush !!! White looks elegant !!! Waiting for your pictures. Your write up was brief - yet - Comprehensive - covered lot of things in small section. Any add-ons to the car ?Any additional costs ? what is OTR in Pune ?
Old 1st September 2010, 18:45   #7
BHPian

Here are photos

As promised posting photos.
In the mean while I have received two dart boards from VW saying my polo is on the way to delivery and enjoy till such time.
It's a waste. Each gift with courier charges must have costed them more than 500 Rs each. Instead they should have added
1) Mirror to sunvisor on passenger side (like Vento)
2) USB port to music system
3) Ash tray
4) Cigar ligher (Socket is already there)

All these together would have costed almost same as cost of these gifts.

Here are some photos of the white beauty..

That's how she looks..
White POLO HL Petrol finally arrived-16072010.jpg

White POLO HL Petrol finally arrived-23082010002.jpg

White POLO HL Petrol finally arrived-25082010001.jpg
Music system is in built but does not have USB port

White POLO HL Petrol finally arrived-25082010002.jpg
Rear view mirror give truncated view but ORVMs are good to give you
comprehensive data

White POLO HL Petrol finally arrived-25082010003.jpg
Lot of space for small things but ash tray is missing even with high end model

White POLO HL Petrol finally arrived-25082010.jpg
HL has chrome trim around AC outlets. But their reflection is seen in the OVRM thats confusing and irritating. I trust lower models do not have this problem. (Sorry for photo quality. Its a rush job between tours)
Attached Thumbnails
White POLO HL Petrol finally arrived-23082010001.jpg  

White POLO HL Petrol finally arrived-16072010001.jpg  

Old 1st September 2010, 19:25   #8
BHPian

Congratulations, Mate. White looks very executive class! Your wait was worthwhile, as you said. I agree that the car appears a tad underpowered specially in the 2nd gear - all the more so if you were driving a 1.9D. However, as you say - you can learn to drive around this, and the car responds happily as you rev it. I actually like the engine sound - gives you a sporty feel as required, and it does tend to be silent if driven easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANPUSH View Post

Some of the features (outside the care) he explained are:
During warranty just a phone call is enough to get help even if wheel gets punctured one call to VW toll free number and company mechanic will come and change the wheel. If you get stranded away from home town and vehicle needs repairs for couple of days, you will be provided free accommodation in 5 star hotel by VW for such time. If more time is required, you will be provided standby vehicle and your vehicle will be delivered to you after repairs at your home town, etc. Unfortunately all this was told in words. I am trying to locate the document that explains these features.
This sounds a bit fantastic - maybe an over eager salesman! Can you please double check if possible? If so, I am taking a trip tomorrow to Mysore and will arrange to get my Polo stranded!

Liked your rear view mirror pic, dont think we other Polo owners have managed that. I agree with you - the rear view combined with the ORVMs does do a decent job. I have refrained from getting rear parking sensors, and am having no trouble so far (about 500 kms on the ODO).

All the best, happy mile crunching!
Old 7th September 2010, 15:48   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
Congrats CANPUSH! Do post pictures of the white beauty. Seems like 4 months is an average waiting period for a Polo. I'll be getting mine this week mostly, after 4 months of booking! I wonder if this car will go the Fortuner way and VW would be forced to stop taking bookings for some time.
Zohaib, whats the update on your Polo? Hope youre starting the ownership thread soon!
Old 7th September 2010, 17:24   #10
BHPian

Congrats Canpush, for the lovely POLO. I too feel its a bit underpowered but its fun to drive POLO. The handling is so easy and feel inside the cabin is just great.
Old 7th September 2010, 21:49   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver2000 View Post
Zohaib, whats the update on your Polo? Hope youre starting the ownership thread soon!
Yep! It comes tomorrow The first pepper grey on TBHP!
Old 8th September 2010, 09:54   #12
BHPian

After writing my piece I had a little long trip to neighbouring town 20 kms away.

I agree that once revved up Polo moves like a cat. very quickly it reaches 80 kmph (limit on highways). Still while overtaking around 50-60 kmph you need to work with gears a bit more.

I still dont know what made VW people cut on certain features in High end model - Electric folding for ORVMs, Foot rest near clutch and Climate control. Indian customers going for high end would have happily paid extra little for these features.

I have already got a scratch on ORVM from passing auto in small lane. (We have many small lanes in all cities and Metros that we can't avoid. and the parking spaces also are too tight.) Electric folding could have saved this. And this is one feature you can not add as aftermarket. VW should offer them as optional extras.

(Is VW listening?)
Old 11th October 2010, 19:08   #13
BHPian

White POLO HL Petrol finally arrived

Yesterday, I had my first highway drive on my Polo 1.2 petrol HL from Pune to Shirdi and Back. 400 kms to and fro.

I drove from Pune to Shirdi on via Sangamner on Pune- Nashik Highway and returned Via Ahmednagar. First road is four lane for first 40 km than two lane very busy for next 40 km, fairly busy for next 70 km and not busy for last 40 km. road quality except for last 40 km is good. In last 40 km although its a toll road and they have tried to fill up pot holes but its a shoddy job. On return it is all four lane but between Shirdi and Ahmednagar, road quality varies from good to bad and there are unexpected big potholes and short very bad patches at places, particularly on bridges. You need to crawl at 10 kmph at these places. Between Ahmednagar and Pune road is four lane and very good surface condition. Traffic on this road is fairly high but not as much as Nashik road. On both roads occasionally you have to deal with extra long trucks.

I was not very fast, usually driving between 70 and 80 seldom touching 100 if and when traffic and road condition permitted.

It was a hassle free drive, quite smooth. I took my Polo outside the city limits for the first time.

Although Polo reached 70-80 quite easily, reaching from 90 to 100 does take a little while. It is surely not a very quick car for overtaking. Driving at 70+ hardly any kick-down acceleration is possible. You need to work with gears for quick overtaking. Also, when you need to slowdown behind a slow mover or two wheeler to allow the on coming vehicle to pass acceleration is not quick as one expects. In fact, many small cars quickly shot off overtaking me on such occassions. May be I do not have heavy foot for the purpose or need to learn dealing with gears in better manner.

Ride is smooth. Suspension does take care of most of little bumps and small potholes. Road holding is good but not perfect. Doing a curve at 80 kmph did not inspired the same confidence as my previous vehicle (Palio Diesel) and I actually slowed down fearing overturning. Good part was while braking to slow down behavior was excellent.

I need to take it some time to Borghat. the small turns at Khandala on the flyover and big U turn while climbing before you head towards Amrutanjan bridge will give me better Idea. I had done these turns many times in my Palio and I know by heart what happens at what speed.

Engine note at 80 kmph is quite loud in the cabin and it's much different in character than other cars (May be due to 3 cylinders?) One need to get used to this different note.

Factory fitted tyres were generally quiet but bit noisy on cement concrete surfaces.

I am worried of little squeaky (kar-kar) sound that has begun from my left rear door towards end of the journey. I did not expected it so early (1000 km) from apparently well built car of European descent.

Headlight lower beam is good enough to tell you about road surface but high beam is weak if you wish to drive at 80 kmph. It does not have that range. You can not see anything beyond 100 meters whereas you must see everything at 300 meters at that speed. Can any one guide me if any good replacement of lamps is possible to get this additional range?

As per my estimate car consumed 25 litres of petrol for this trip. (I will confirm at next fill up.) So I can safely assume that I will get approx 16 km/l average for highway drive. For city it is approx 12.5 km/l.

Sorry friends! I forgot to carry camera with me so no photos of this trip.
Old 11th October 2010, 20:58   #14
Senior - BHPian

CanPush, congratulations on your new buy.

From your post, I came to know that you had owned a Fiat Palio Diesel in the past. So, I'm curious to know the reason why you chose a petrol VW Polo over a diesel. Or, is this your secondary vehicle?

Btw, you didn't mention the color of your VW Polo. I hope that you'll upload the pictures at the earliest.

Drive safe. Always wear seat-belts

Amith

Last edited by Klub Class : 11th October 2010 at 21:00.
Old 11th October 2010, 21:08   #15
BHPian

Hi Canpush,

Thanks for the very honest review with your take on a 3 cylinder engine on highway. You will soon learn to adjust and extract the best out of car once you do some more long trips on highway.

I had a very same feeling when I took my first car maruti 800 with 5 people from mumbai to shirdi. I had to slow down to give way to faster moving traffic. POLO is a very good car in terms of braking and suspension. I did not have these luxuries on the maruti 800, but soon got used to it.

But a word of caution though, be safe on highway as Indian highways though double barreled are filled with ignorant drivers.

Take care, drive safe.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks