Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2010, 17:14   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabiaous View Post
Will be intresting to see the December sales numbers polo and fabia once the festival season is over.

Polo wait period will be less once production is ramped up.
I forgot to add one missing item - Driver hand rest! This was available in the older Fabia.

I agree with you that Polo waiting period will be much lesser, once production ramps up. But then, as in Fabia - 100% parts would be localised. Right now, Fabia is a good alternative for people who have been frustrated waiting for Polo.

As you rightly said, by March 2011, we will know how things stand. According to me, both the cars are more or less the same. Only A.S.S can make the difference.

My experience after visiting Skoda showroom was like visiting another VW showroom. Surprising!!!
  1. Both the cars have 3 identical variants.
  2. Both have some features missing - few different from each other.
  3. Both priced similarly.
  4. Majority of the spares under the hood, is shared.
Now! I heard Skoda dealer's staff NOT bad mouthing VW! They almost behaved like "living under the same roof"! Looks like they have strategically teamed up!!

If Polo was readily available for me to take? I would have gone with Polo 1.6 - Simply because, as a (small) family car, I feel Polo is more complete.

Edit: With numbers increasing, Skoda's A.S.S will surely improve. Spare part prices also have been drastically reduced. Once the Dealers have viability, lot of things will change. That happens mainly with Volume.

Last edited by Chethan B G : 20th October 2010 at 17:18.
Old 20th October 2010, 17:57   #32
Senior - BHPian

On the contrary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Simply because, as a (small) family car, I feel Polo is more complete.
How so? Its the Fabia with better rear seat space and more safety features (both of which are important for families) and 'family-car-ish' styling.
Old 20th October 2010, 18:18   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
How so? Its the Fabia with better rear seat space and more safety features (both of which are important for families) and 'family-car-ish' styling.
You are right in a way. But frankly speaking, in small families (2+1), rear seat space is almost un-utilized. Whereas, 40:60 split seat & rear de-fogger helps. If rear seat is used atleast 25% of the time by adults, Fabia would do better. But again, rear de-fogger is a boon during rainy days. That will be missed.

Styling - I like both designs. In fact I love them!!
Old 20th October 2010, 19:13   #34
Senior - BHPian

Sid, wunderful review there man!

Have you inquired about the spare parts pricing? Are they the same or have been slashed?
Old 20th October 2010, 19:50   #35
Senior - BHPian

No idea about parts pricing/ punto t-jet.
Will be driving the fabia TDI soon and will add about it here. Was told that its an overall "better" package as compared to the polo TDI. I think that The fabia TDI could capatilise on pol's wait periods and have nice sales figures, more so after the massive 1,30,000-1,50,000 rupee price cut.
Old 20th October 2010, 19:56   #36
BHPian

Another good review by the ever good Sidindica.

SKODA FABIA, to say the least was car no general buyer wanted to buy for the national obsession of the maruti's and the hyundai's. Well, it was quite a boring hatch so to say (personal opinion, no offence intended) in terms of exterior styling. you say a 3 pot motor, and people start wondering did they cut a pot to save costs!
But 2010 Fabia looks a much better offering. Front looks much more aggressive, back I think is still boring. But one thing to learn is the interiors. The feeling of "Its beige, but not just beige" is quite good. (I wonder whats the obsession with a color that gets dirtier faster in Indian conditions.) I like the Stock stereo console, nice black finish, its better choice than the silver grills in the others...uhh its aweful silver plastic.
The better motor means it can be better fun, but as sidindica said, quote " We touched 130 but the car felt like doing 90. So strong is the car's speed masking abilities. " unquote, I will wait for more comments.
But are we really talking of german quality in terms of everything. Car build is undoubtedly the best, but what about Skoda India, its the most talked of brand on TBHP (unfortunately for all wrong reasons). Are they really going to live upto those owner expectations. Lets wait and watch. I don't think it can set any fire to the sales charts, but surely will attract more customers to the skoda showroom.

OT : just wondering if VW is doing a Maruti by launching family competition. FABIA vs POLO. whoever looses, profit in the same pants!
Old 20th October 2010, 20:39   #37
Senior - BHPian

The facelifted fabia isnt really a bad product per se, but the 1.6 motor could have been better tuned. When its whipped, it accelerates very strongly and all that torque gives a strong mid range. But that instant throttle esponse is what disappointed me. But given its faults, at the new price, it definitely makes a strong case for itself. If people can wait for months to get the polo, then I think this car should also improve its figures and capitalize on the polo wait period.
The TDI is expected to garner a chunk of sales, as with many VW products. I think that the tdi surely would be tempting given its free revving engine plus FE plus strong build plus class best interior fit and finish, which is thankfully maintained but at the cost of deletion of many features.
This car is so rock sturdy that it feels slower than its speedo times suggest. Drive it and you will come to know. Typical of a sturdy EU hatch.
Skoda shield maintenance package (prices shown in my opening post) should improve matters but if only dealers would pull up their socks..
Old 20th October 2010, 21:31   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
. But that instant throttle esponse is what disappointed me. But given its faults, at the new price, it definitely makes a strong case for itself.
From what I gather the 1.6 is a paper tiger whereas the 1.2 has an energetic response well suited for the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
projector head lamps, EORVM & rear parking sensors, rear de-fogger - Are sorely missed.
Hopefully parking sensors will be a dealer fitted accesory like the Polo.
Old 20th October 2010, 21:40   #39
BHPian

Quote:

Key safety equipment
  • classic= driver airbag
  • ambiente=dual front airbags
  • elegance=dual front airbags, ABS MSR (motor speed regulation) and EBC 9engine braking control)

small q.. I always thought EBC stood for electronic brake control or electronic brake regulation, is this a typo or am I wrong. If wrong, can someone please explain what is Engine Braking Control and how it works?

another interesting thing is the 'under front seats rear a/c vents'..have never seen or heard of such vents, can someone please throw some light

peace,
~kg
Old 20th October 2010, 21:58   #40
BHPian

Quote:
The facelifted fabia isnt really a bad product per se, but the 1.6 motor could have been better tuned. When its whipped, it accelerates very strongly and all that torque gives a strong mid range.
This car is so rock sturdy that it feels slower than its speedo times suggest. Drive it and you will come to know. Typical of a sturdy EU hatch.
Skoda shield maintenance package (prices shown in my opening post) should improve matters but if only dealers would pull up their socks..
I havent personally driven the 1.6 yet, however the above text is something which can very aptly fit to the dot, even to the current gen 1.2 MPI motor.

Cross 20 kmph or 1500 rpm, and you could kick serious butt right upto 120 kmph - just about in the 3/4 gears.

The 3000 rpm peak torque is what drives this mid range so strongly.

It loses steam after that, where the 1.6 would come to help.
Old 20th October 2010, 22:55   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No idea about parts pricing/ punto t-jet.
Will be driving the fabia TDI soon and will add about it here. Was told that its an overall "better" package as compared to the polo TDI. I think that The fabia TDI could capatilise on pol's wait periods and have nice sales figures, more so after the massive 1,30,000-1,50,000 rupee price cut.
Page # : 16, Post # : 239 - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post1959144

It will be interesting to read your comparo on Polo & Fabia Tdi. Looking forward to it!!
Old 20th October 2010, 23:19   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Hopefully parking sensors will be a dealer fitted accesory like the Polo.
I doubt this- Skoda dealers are also so resistant to even put in a rear speakers in Fabia. When i asked if they could put in speakers in the door pads, they say I will loose my warranty ! Guess Skoda wants to hear decent music only after the 2 year warranty period is over In any case, i didn't want to mess with them and loose my warranty so I am waiting to put speakers after 2 years
Old 20th October 2010, 23:24   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapilvgupta View Post
small q.. I always thought EBC stood for electronic brake control or electronic brake regulation, is this a typo or am I wrong. If wrong, can someone please explain what is Engine Braking Control and how it works?

another interesting thing is the 'under front seats rear a/c vents'..have never seen or heard of such vents, can someone please throw some light
It is indeed Engine Braking Control (along with MSR(motor speed regulation)). The manual provided is for the Euro version, which talks in length about ESP, but no mention of EBC/MSR. Here's what I found from the british version:
MSR: The engine torque control system recognises when the wheels are subject to too much slippage and regulates the power supply by intervening in the engine management system. This prevents wheelspin when, for example, changing down on a smooth or wet road surface. MSR is a constituent part of the ASR (anti slip regulation traction control) system.

The manual explains EBC/MSR as part of ESP, which supposedly collectively indicates ABS, TCS, EDL ( engine differential lock) and Brake Assist.

Here's for the under front seat a/c vents: fabia and linea.

@zipdrive: Warranty will not be void on installing rearspeakers, as you wont be cutting any wires, just plugging in a few in the slots provided in the head unit. I have installed a pair of two-way component speakers after getting the assurance from the dealer(but installed in some accessory shop).

Last edited by 2cents : 20th October 2010 at 23:30.
Old 20th October 2010, 23:25   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapilvgupta View Post
I don't know whether you can call them 'vents', but what Fabia has is a small pipe jutting out like a silencer in the platform under the front seats. It cannot be called a vent- but yes, it blows some cold air if you put the blower to the leg position. But it is not at all sufficient to cool the temperatures of those sitting in the back !
Old 21st October 2010, 00:03   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Since Fabia 1.6 would leave you wanting for more, I do not see a reason why one should go for ir. it is better to stick to TDI Elegance. You will save a lot of money and feel good that you have a Fuel efficient engine.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks