Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2011, 01:02   #76
BHPian

Re: First Drive: Skoda Fabia F/L 1.6 petrol

@rajcs: You couldn't have answered all my questions together, better, buddy!

What surprises me at this N-th hour is the lack of remote opening of fuel lid. Yikes !Would it be possible for you to post a pic of the same.

Thanks for your figure of the FE. I was really in doubt cos the dealer told me 12, and hence I was beginning to expect only 9 - which could mean, I can spend more time at the fuel station than the roads..

Once again, appreciate your effort to answer all my questions. DOUBLE-LIKE !

Memphes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajcs View Post
@mempheS.D: After a thorough examination they decided it could be a problem with a link on front axle. Although nothing was visually wrong with the part, they replaced it and the noise never appeared again in last 3000 km.

I was told that Baja Allianz offers a Zero Depreciation package for cars upto 3 yrs old, which would cover all parts at a marginally higher premium. It will be wise for you to choose such a pakage for a new car.

Secondly regarding performance: I didn't feel the bottom scrape anywhere inspite of some very poor roads from Manali to Solang. Any way the bottom is all covered with metal cladding as part of India Package.
FE is also quite good : I have been getting around 13 kmpl in city with AC on all the time.

What I don't like in the car:
Lack of rear wiper and defogger even as an option
DRL can't be turned off: Many people wave at you to tell you that the lights are on.
Only one reversing light. I wish they had given two reversing lights instead of the DRLs.
Indicator stack on left hand side.
Owners manual is not for the Indian version.
Horn is hard to press.
No cooling in glovebox. Rear ac vents are near passengers feet.
No split folding of rear seat.
No remote opening of petrol lid.
I hope above info will help you in your choice..
Old 4th May 2011, 12:57   #77
BHPian

@mempheS D : As you wanted here's a pic of the fuel lid on Fab 1.6. The lid itself is never locked. However, the cap can be locked or unlocked only using the ignition key - which means you have to switch off the engine before you can fill fuel, unless ofcourse you carry both the keys with you or you choose not to lock the fuel lid at all,
Another point to note is that the minimum recommended fuel is 91 octane, which means you would be filling speed, xtrapremium, power etc. I think the regular unleaded available India is 87 octane.
Also note that the rear tyre pressure varies substantially with load being carried - from 2.1 bar (31 psi) to a whopping 3.2 bar (47 psi). If you plan to carry heavy load you may like to take this into account.
Attached Thumbnails
First Drive: Skoda Fabia F/L 1.6 petrol-snc00078.jpg  

rajcs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2011, 18:41   #78
BHPian

@rajcs: My apologies for not recognizing your post on the other forum. Owe this one to you bhpian. I begin to realize the true spirit of being part of this forum.

ABOUT Fuel: Now, this one came like a bummer! The sales guy mentioned normal unleaded but looks like the manufacturer clearly recommends nothing lesser than 91 grade unleaded fuel. Now, this is a good catch to void warranty. So, do you strictly use 91 grade? I was preparing myself to pay that extra 2rs for fuel at Shell station near my place which is where I normally tank up my Bullet! Do I really need to do a re-estimate here ? Yikes!

The PIC: Beautiful, surprisingly.. I'm beginning to like this idea. The conventional remote lock on other cars have a lid that can be easily ticked off and then, the fuel cap is open for misuse. This way, the misuser can only go easily until the cap which needs the key to unlock. Another advantage is, this idea should seal those miscreants at petrol bunks where they distract your attention before they start fuelling up taking advantage of the fact you are inside the car and you can't see their hands do the trick.

Thanks again rajcs.

Memphes.
Old 5th May 2011, 11:47   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mempheS.D View Post
ABOUT Fuel: Now, this one came like a bummer! The sales guy mentioned normal unleaded but looks like the manufacturer clearly recommends nothing lesser than 91 grade unleaded fuel. Now, this is a good catch to void warranty. So, do you strictly use 91 grade? I was preparing myself to pay that extra 2rs for fuel at Shell station near my place which is where I normally tank up my Bullet! Do I really need to do a re-estimate here ? Yikes!
I may be wrong about RON of regular petrol in India. Websites of both IOC and BPCL indicate that regular uleaded petrol meeting BSIII and BSIV are 91RON. BSII which was 88RON is no longer sold. Therefore, it would be safe to use normal unleaded petrol meeting BSIII / BIV. My apologies for the misinterpretation.
Old 5th May 2011, 13:20   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Total bill was around Rs 40000 and I had to pay about Rs 10000 since rubber/ plastic parts / headlights were covered only for 50% in my policy. I was told that Baja Allianz offers a Zero Depreciation package for cars upto 3 yrs old, which would cover all parts at a marginally higher premium. It will be wise for you to choose such a pakage for a new car.
Have you taken insurance from outside? Or are you referring to the Skoda Shield + Assure package?
Old 5th May 2011, 14:00   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Have you taken insurance from outside? Or are you referring to the Skoda Shield + Assure package?
I have skoda shield + assuare package taken from the skoda dealership. The insurance cover in the package is provided by Bajaj Allianze and it is not a zero dep policy. Probably the dealer didn't offer me the zero dep because the premium would have been higher which would have pushed up the overall cost of the car. I would definitely recommend a zero dep package for a new car.
Old 5th May 2011, 14:42   #82
BHPian

Point taken @rajcs !! I spoke to the dealer today and requested them to upgrade by insurance coverage to a zero dep which is from Tata AIG, and not Bajaj Allianz which is the comprehensive insurance. I owe this one to you for your honest experience and recommendation. Thanks a BUNCH ! But, as I mentioned earlier, I opted out of the Shield as I almost fished out everything that I had for a car. A pie more would be like eating into the money saved for tanking up this maiden!!!

Cheers !

Quote:
I have skoda shield + assuare package taken from the skoda dealership. The insurance cover in the package is provided by Bajaj Allianze and it is not a zero dep policy. Probably the dealer didn't offer me the zero dep because the premium would have been higher which would have pushed up the overall cost of the car. I would definitely recommend a zero dep package for a new car.
Old 5th May 2011, 16:45   #83
Senior - BHPian

When I was interacting with Skoda dealer, I had spoken to the head of the financing arm of Volkswagen. He had indicated that the Skoda Assure is actually nothing but the zero depreciation add-on to the policy.

If you already have the package, why did you have to pay anything more than Rs. 1000 for the claim?
Old 5th May 2011, 17:22   #84
BHPian

Quote:
When I was interacting with Skoda dealer, I had spoken to the head of the financing arm of Volkswagen. He had indicated that the Skoda Assure is actually nothing but the zero depreciation add-on to the policy.

If you already have the package, why did you have to pay anything more than Rs. 1000 for the claim?
The service centre (Fahrenheit Auto, Delhi) took a day to check if my policy was zero dep, It was confirmed y Bajaj Allianz that it is not zero dep and I had to pay for 50% for rubber / plastic parts. Do you also have a Bajaj Allainz insurance or is it Tata AIG? I am beginning to wonder if the dealer from whom I bought the car (Jai Auto, Delhi) short changed me on the skoda shield. Will have it checked with Skoda I guess.
Old 5th May 2011, 17:28   #85
Senior - BHPian

@rajcs: I don't own a Skoda, but when I was interested in a new Fabia, I had lengthy discussions with various people at the dealer's end.

The extra Rs. 5500 that you have paid towards Skoda Assure is primarily for the zero deperciation clause.
Other Skoda car owners can confirm.
Old 5th May 2011, 18:37   #86
BHPian

Quote:
I don't own a Skoda, but when I was interested in a new Fabia, I had lengthy discussions with various people at the dealer's end.

The extra Rs. 5500 that you have paid towards Skoda Assure is primarily for the zero deperciation clause.
Other Skoda car owners can confirm.
Just checked the skoda web site on what is covered in skoda shield. Here's the definition :

I. Basic Motor Insurance - Basic Motor Insurance consists of a one-year comprehensive insurance policy. This is clubbed with 24x7 Roadside Assistance for the same term as the insurance.

II. 24x7 Roadside Assistance for the period of insurance - 24x7 Roadside Assistance will offer on-site support to customers in case of breakdown or accident. , so that they may carry forward on their journey without major interruption.

III. Extended Warranty for additional 2yrs/1,00,000 Kms - Extended Warranty is an extension of the new car warranty offered by Škoda Auto India and increases the coverage by two years or upto 1,00,000 Kms over the standard warranty. Hence with extended warranty the cover will be 2+2 years/100,000kms (whichever is earlier).

So, I think zero dep insurance is not included. Only attractive thing is the four year warranty. I think mempheS.D has rightly declined the skoda shield and opted for zero dep.
Old 6th May 2011, 09:35   #87
Senior - BHPian

^ I am referring to Skoda Assure which is over and above the Skoda Shield. Please get this clarified from Skoda or your dealer. Skoda Assure is around Rs. 5500 and offers zero depreciation benefits.
Old 6th May 2011, 16:12   #88
BHPian

@rajcsoes the stock CD player play audio CDs only or MP3s too? Just thought I should be careful about what I should carry with me in order to do the pre delivery inspection, hopefully early next week. Yup, it's almost here. :P
Old 6th May 2011, 17:18   #89
BHPian

@mempheS.D: The stock CD player plays MP3 CDs. There is no USB support. However, there's an Aux port provided near the handbrake and you can conveniently play songs from your ipod or cell phone through a compatible cable. Also there are no speakers in the rear; only wiring is provided. There are four speakers in the front - two on either doors and two tweeters on A-pillar. Performance is adequate but nothing great. The large display is wasted and does not show track details. There is no control on steering wheel either. However, volume and tuning control is through large knobs and is very convenient while driving (better than the +/- buttons in many HUs).

@S_U_N. I do not have Skoda Assure. I was not offered anything like that by the dealer. Possibly not adequate research on my part.

Last edited by rajcs : 6th May 2011 at 17:19.
Old 6th May 2011, 20:22   #90
BHPian

Geez! Thank em manufacturers. It's going to be quite a job to replace the sound system then. Well, all that will need to wait a while.

As for Skoda Assure, I dont even think the dealer has heard that yet cos he was surprised and started googling when I mentioned to him about the Zero depreciation package... hehehe. This is the best part about this forum. Walk into a showroom and chances are very high that you know the pros and cons about the machine more than the sales guy himself. Thanks to the great reviews posted on the forum.

Is it only me or have you all experienced the pleasure and satisfaction derived from correcting the sales person at any of the car showrooms you visited, using info from this forum??? psst pssst psst.

Quote:
@mempheS.D: The stock CD player plays MP3 CDs. There is no USB support. However, there's an Aux port provided near the handbrake and you can conveniently play songs from your ipod or cell phone through a compatible cable. Also there are no speakers in the rear; only wiring is provided. There are four speakers in the front - two on either doors and two tweeters on A-pillar. Performance is adequate but nothing great. The large display is wasted and does not show track details. There is no control on steering wheel either. However, volume and tuning control is through large knobs and is very convenient while driving (better than the +/- buttons in many HUs).

@S_U_N. I do not have Skoda Assure. I was not offered anything like that by the dealer. Possibly not adequate research on my part.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks