Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2010, 15:57   #16
BHPian

congratulations

You have a way with the words.

I really liked the last Para of your post.

So have got the emblem prefixed? If not I can help you.

In some way, your ownership report is inspiring confidence in me, to go for A SONY Bravia LCD 40EX400 even after reading nightmarish A.S.S. reported by people here. Truly speaking, I just love those night scenes diaplayed on a SONY panel. No other panel can give you that in a LCD/LED. I am dying to watch my favorite flick "The Dark Knight " on it.

As you said “to tell everyone to buy something because they really want it. Not because they need it or not because, they want to look like they didn't get…”. Struck a chord here!!!

Note from Team-BHP Support Staff : Post Edited. Please refrain from posting with HTML tags. Posting with such text formatting should be avoided as it is inconvenient for members to read post.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 18th October 2010 at 23:35. Reason: See Moderator note in post.
Old 18th October 2010, 17:13   #17
Senior - BHPian

congrats buddy! The pics are awesome to say the least. Which cam is it? Taking night pics without a tripod is really difficult unless you cam has got a very good image stabilization (particuarly for someone like me whose hands shake like hell due to lots of smoking

The passion towards your Polo is evident in your posts. Really appreciate that.
And I agree with your thought that life is too short to repent for not buying the car of your choice for a couple of thousand bucks!

Have a blast with you Polo and ride safe!
Old 18th October 2010, 21:05   #18
BHPian

Hi Anubhav. Congrats on your new buy.Happy motoring.

What is the on road price and how is the engine sound. Is it audible inside the cabin when the windows are rolled up.
Old 18th October 2010, 21:12   #19
BHPian

Congrats Anubhav on your Polo!

With your flair for writing, I would say this has all the makings of a 5-star thread... IF you update it regularly.
Old 18th October 2010, 22:44   #20
BHPian

@ Anubhav , Awesome or awesomest !! I cant find better words with my limited vocab to describe your post and pics ! N trust me I havent seen any other ownership in this forum which has better Polo pics . There are many threads in our forum with Polo HL , but yours really deserves a thumbs up !
I thought I would need to buy one and post some good pics and start a trend ( which god knows how long would it take ) . But I am happy that a trend to start updating post with good pics and angles has just begun !
Good going buddy , enjoy your tenure with this hatch .
Old 21st October 2010, 10:43   #21
BHPian

Heyy Anubhav,

Great pics !! And a nice writeup.I totally echo your emotions on the Polo TDI,being a proud owner of it.
Specially liked the pic from under the Rear Bumper.Amazing.!!
Keep it going,and do write about your experiences about the Turbo-Lag,specially as you have owned a Swift VDI.(Although a no-comparo ) But would love to see your views.
Rgds,
Sachin.
Old 21st October 2010, 14:19   #22
Senior - BHPian

Congrats buddy! Lovely choice.

My friend also got a similar Red Polo recently, though a Petrol base model.

When first took the car for a drive, the feeling was really really good.

Exteriors:
There is some 'magic ingredient' in the paint which makes it really shine so well. Once there were 2 red cars standing next to the Polo. A red Swift, a Red i20. The red colour on both these cars looked 'not-red' compared to Polo's red.
The car has a lower stance, but ground clearance is good. The design is attractive. I just love the part where you press the VW logo to open the boot. Thats a personal touch!

Interiors:
The first impression after entering into the car was great. Superb quality interiors. Even though they are not as flashy as i20(Blue backlight and all), they are well in place and very neatly tucked in. No uneven gaps, no loose stuff. All the knobs have a feel-good feeling while rotating.
All variants get chrome door handles. Man that rocks! It gives a very rich feeling to the car.
The space on the rear seat could have been better, but then which other hatch (except Vista and Figo) have it.
A/C took some time to cool.

Performance:
All the myth about the 3-cylinder engine vs the 4-cylinder engine was finally a MYTH only. I found the pick-up of the car really good in the lower RPM bands also. Even with the A/C on at full power, there was no major degradation in the performance.
My friend is getting a FE of about 14-15 consistently. Thats damn good I feel.

Cons:
1) Individual passengers can not lock their doors.
2) Rear seat windows don't open fully. Call it 'child-safety' feature, like never heard before.
3) The boot lid remains open untill the car is completely locked.
4) Small rear-view mirror. Does not cover the rear view fully.
4) Just one dealer per city. Too too thin network. Hope it improves speedily.

The biggest factor against this car could be its price band. For 5 lakhs OTR, you get only the base variant of Petrol. Instead of spending 6+ lakhs for the top-end, people might go for a Sedan also.

The 2nd irritating factor could be the long long waiting period. Belive me this waiting period is not really because the demand is super-high. It is because the VW India is getting all the parts from their parent company and the transit is taking all the time.

Please correct me If I am wrong, but the plant at Chakan, Pune is not really manufacturing the Polo. It is just putting all things together.

But but but...all said and done. Polo marked an entry of A GERMAN powerhouse in the Indian Automobile industry. Though VW has been here for sometime now(Jetta, Passat), Polo made them noticeable to all.

Now Vento will put them even higher on the ranks...very soon. God I wish Vento makes a crater-size dent in the Honda City's sales. Honda needs to lower their prices to be more humane.

Just for the info, I might upgrade my car to a Vento Diesel. Always wished to own a German car.

Finally, I wish when I bought my Vista a year back, only if I had an idea about the Polo's launch, I would have waited...waited...waited...
Old 21st October 2010, 15:27   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Congrats buddy! Lovely choice.

My friend also got a similar Red Polo recently, though a Petrol base model.

When first took the car for a drive, the feeling was really really good.

Exteriors:
There is some 'magic ingredient' in the paint which makes it really shine so well. Once there were 2 red cars standing next to the Polo. A red Swift, a Red i20. The red colour on both these cars looked 'not-red' compared to Polo's red.
The car has a lower stance, but ground clearance is good. The design is attractive. I just love the part where you press the VW logo to open the boot. Thats a personal touch!

Interiors:
The first impression after entering into the car was great. Superb quality interiors. Even though they are not as flashy as i20(Blue backlight and all), they are well in place and very neatly tucked in. No uneven gaps, no loose stuff. All the knobs have a feel-good feeling while rotating.
All variants get chrome door handles. Man that rocks! It gives a very rich feeling to the car.
The space on the rear seat could have been better, but then which other hatch (except Vista and Figo) have it.
A/C took some time to cool.

Performance:
All the myth about the 3-cylinder engine vs the 4-cylinder engine was finally a MYTH only. I found the pick-up of the car really good in the lower RPM bands also. Even with the A/C on at full power, there was no major degradation in the performance.
My friend is getting a FE of about 14-15 consistently. Thats damn good I feel.

Cons:
1) Individual passengers can not lock their doors.
2) Rear seat windows don't open fully. Call it 'child-safety' feature, like never heard before.
3) The boot lid remains open untill the car is completely locked.
4) Small rear-view mirror. Does not cover the rear view fully.
4) Just one dealer per city. Too too thin network. Hope it improves speedily.

The biggest factor against this car could be its price band. For 5 lakhs OTR, you get only the base variant of Petrol. Instead of spending 6+ lakhs for the top-end, people might go for a Sedan also.

The 2nd irritating factor could be the long long waiting period. Belive me this waiting period is not really because the demand is super-high. It is because the VW India is getting all the parts from their parent company and the transit is taking all the time.

Please correct me If I am wrong, but the plant at Chakan, Pune is not really manufacturing the Polo. It is just putting all things together.

But but but...all said and done. Polo marked an entry of A GERMAN powerhouse in the Indian Automobile industry. Though VW has been here for sometime now(Jetta, Passat), Polo made them noticeable to all.

Now Vento will put them even higher on the ranks...very soon. God I wish Vento makes a crater-size dent in the Honda City's sales. Honda needs to lower their prices to be more humane.

Just for the info, I might upgrade my car to a Vento Diesel. Always wished to own a German car.

Finally, I wish when I bought my Vista a year back, only if I had an idea about the Polo's launch, I would have waited...waited...waited...
Ajay, few comments on your post :-
1. VW at Pune has a modern manufacturing facility in line with the latest trend in automobive business - one where you source parts from the suppliers( inland or abroad). It has integrated set-up right from press shop through body work to painting & finally assembly. It is different from a facility where CKD kits are merely assembled.
2. Polo, being manufactured, has started with 50 % or higher localisation. The production ramp-up curve must have calculated gradient. Going full swing from the initial months can be dredful.
I have first hand experience about this. While working in a start-up manufacturing company in Aurangabad, I have seen production going to full capacity within two months of comissioning. Since every single aspect was new - Man/machine/material/method - So when problems surfaced ( customer complaint / machine breakdown etc) it was litterally a headless-chicken-run on every front.
3. IMHO, the rear door glass not opening completely is a safety feature & cannot be considered a con.
Cheers!!!
Old 21st October 2010, 21:41   #24
BHPian

What a passionately written review. And beautiful photography. Wish you a wonderful journey in your Polo. Safe!
Old 22nd October 2010, 02:14   #25
BHPian

The POLO is eye candy. I have not sat inside or driven one, but I could not help drooling over the polo's when I went for a long drive couple of weekends back. Maybe its the stunning paint quality, maybe its the finish, may be its the shape or may be she is just hot. The last time I felt so good looking at a hatch was for the Red Palio. Red Palio, still Number One.

Enjoy your new car. Congragulations.
Old 22nd October 2010, 08:17   #26
BHPian

Okay first of all

Thank you everyone for your wishes!!

@Ritzy: Car inspiring to buy a TV, hmm nice. I think I might have achieved something here

@adimicra: I have used a Nikon D40 with a standard KIT Nikon 18-55 ED lens which does not have vibration reduction or image stabilization. Pretty hard stuff for me.

@sachinsumant: Yes a very important thing here. The turbo lag is obviously present, but what differentiates it from my Swift is that the lag itself is spread out on the RPM curve while on the swift you get a feeling that the car comes in a power band. This is just an illusion. If somebody tells you a polo is faster in acceleration then he or she is not judging the car objectively because they are almost exactly the same. I still have to get used to the clutch and the gearbox, it is absolutely nothing like on the swift. I personally think its because of the turbo charger being a variable geo. I would love if someone technically gifted would confirm whether the POLO has a VGT which might be the culprit of my low rev sudden pick ups.

@rki2007: The on road price for my car was Rs.6,96,900. Yes the cabin noise is one of the weirdest things in this car. Why? Because at times you begin to feel this car is extremely refined, but in city traffic or slow driving the engine noise is extremely reminiscent, almost reminding me of bigger Mahindra or rather Skoda engines "We the people" are used to.

@nowwhat: Thank you for that remark, I think Im happy enough that I have like minded people here to share my car. But still that is a tall compliment!

@rejoycjohn: Wow, Thank you so much

@ajay_satpute:

Thanks for the reply, and well like me you are also a keen observer. But like any car owner I would love to correct some things that you might have "misunderstood"

You see no matter how much linear the company tries to make all cars, it has come to attention that not all cars are built alike. Even the same models. This is where your A/C experience comes in. The air conditioner in the Polo is extremely powerful, and one of the problems that owners are facing is the fogging of the windshield due to all that cooling. No offense, but your friend needs to get his AC checked if the problem persists.

You are right on so many aspects of the car, such as the rear cabin room and leg space. The dealer network is thin and it may cause a lot of problems right now to all owners not living in metro cities. But some of the problems you pointed out are in fact not a problem for some people. Such as : The rear view mirror is small, but it shows you exactly how much you need to see. For instance I don't need to see the entire road when Im driving, just the cars.

The boot lid switch is as easily accessible as your doors. If you lock the doors, you lock the boot. Correct me if Im wrong but I will not leave the car unlocked anywhere, and lets face it who is going to look up my boot while Im driving! The boot lock does not need to be independent, logically its still inaccessible while your driving or while your standing next to the car!

The rear windows didn't open fully on my Accent as well. The reason I think this exists is not child safety, but the space in the doors that are also shaped to accommodate the shape of the rear wheel. The door itself cannot accommodate the entire glass piece and still retain that shape. If you can compare the windows of the Polo and the Swift then you might notice that the rear window sill has a separate piece of glass attached which makes the glass size very cleverly smaller. Giving you the ability to roll them down completely but the Polo instead does not have that piece of glass and hence ends up with a huge rear glass window and rolling down up to a certain level. I don't have any problem with that feature, giving the car still has a big rear window.
VW Polo - The mint with a hole :)-swift.jpgVW Polo - The mint with a hole :)-dsc_2529.jpg

And well for everybody who wants the current stats of the car,

VW Polo - The mint with a hole :)-img00059201010181853.jpg

So far so good is all I can say, I couldn't be happier with the mileage. More long posts to come, stay tuned.
Old 22nd October 2010, 11:47   #27
Senior - BHPian

Good One anubhav!

You've put it right dude! Especially your reasoning for the rear glass. Very detailed and informative. Frankly, I was not aware of this.

Well, the reason I put some points under the Cons, is just because they are unconventional for the layman Indian car buyer.

But what I really think is a problem is the way VW launched the Polo and the Vento without being prepared to tackle huge demand. The huge demand was just obvious, wasn't it? So many of my friends who booked Polo / Vento are frustrated to the core for the long long waiting periods. The waiting does not end even after the car is ready. You keep waiting for stupid things like car covers, floor mats, mud flaps. I know of 3 persons who went for Micra/i20 because of the irritating waiting periods of VW.

I really really hope VW tackles this soon.

I wish you many many happy miles with your red beauty.

VW Rocks!
vbmenu_register("postmenu_2114186", true);
Old 22nd October 2010, 12:22   #28
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Abhinav. Excellent narration and Pics!!

Your photographic skills are more than evident!! All the best. Drive safe!!
Old 22nd October 2010, 16:48   #29
BHPian

@Chethan B G: Thanks for the remark sir, but kindly check my name as some Abhinav is getting the credit for my work

@Ajay : Glad to help. And the waiting periods, I almost forgot to answer that one. VW apparently is the apple of the car industry. It is one of the biggest car companies in the world and their cars are the sum result of learning from the other cars, or taking ideas from their sub divisions such as Audi to create something almost what we call "Perfect". Just like the iPhone it was a phenomenon when the Polo was launched, almost everybody wanted it. And as I mentioned about the hatch back being a trend, people wanted to run to a showroom and throw their money just to get one.

So what Im saying is that VW knows how irresistible this car is and people would create a "want" factor for it. The cars are available, but the waiting period is to attract the so called Exclusivity that most other expensive cars have. I hate this stupid marketing gimmick. And just to prove that there are cars available you can see how I brought mine through a broker who had several of these Polo's in the VW warehouse itself. Besides I have been quoted by several showroom representative saying indirectly that the car can be assigned to my name very quickly but at a little incentive.

VW is going to be obnoxious, we can't help that. But bear in mind, the marketing and the company's intention is not acceptable, but the car certainly is

Blame the company that is creating this hole in the minds of the people, not the car. The car in question is still, Superb.

Its a dog eat dog world out there, I'd better end up on this side than that.
Old 22nd October 2010, 17:45   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anubhavarya View Post
@Chethan B G: Thanks for the remark sir, but kindly check my name as some Abhinav is getting the credit for my work

@Ajay : Glad to help. And the waiting periods, I almost forgot to answer that one. VW apparently is the apple of the car industry. It is one of the biggest car companies in the world and their cars are the sum result of learning from the other cars, or taking ideas from their sub divisions such as Audi to create something almost what we call "Perfect". Just like the iPhone it was a phenomenon when the Polo was launched, almost everybody wanted it. And as I mentioned about the hatch back being a trend, people wanted to run to a showroom and throw their money just to get one.

So what Im saying is that VW knows how irresistible this car is and people would create a "want" factor for it. The cars are available, but the waiting period is to attract the so called Exclusivity that most other expensive cars have. I hate this stupid marketing gimmick. And just to prove that there are cars available you can see how I brought mine through a broker who had several of these Polo's in the VW warehouse itself. Besides I have been quoted by several showroom representative saying indirectly that the car can be assigned to my name very quickly but at a little incentive.

VW is going to be obnoxious, we can't help that. But bear in mind, the marketing and the company's intention is not acceptable, but the car certainly is

Blame the company that is creating this hole in the minds of the people, not the car. The car in question is still, Superb.

Its a dog eat dog world out there, I'd better end up on this side than that.
Anubhavarya - Sorry!! That was a bit of oversight!! But the credit from my heart goes to you. That is what is important!!

It is very surprising to read this post of yours. How corrupt can people be? The car, as you say is Supeeerrrbbbb!!!!!

I will be adding a Caska HU to my Polo by this month end. Warranty does not get effected, if wires are not tampered with. So use proper lugs & connectors. Never cut / sleeve any wire.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks