Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2010, 09:33   #1
BHPian

My Jewel.. “Deep Sapphire Blue - Honda JAZZ"

Today when writing this thread I can’t believe that finally I have purchased a Car that to NEW one and that to a HONDA.

Below is my roller costar experience of buying the car.

Hunt for a car started way back in 2009 almost a year ago. Yup, you all read it correctly. It took me almost a year to buy a car but I am satisfied with the final outcome.

Initially we decided that we should buy a second hand car and it should be a hatchback. So the search for the car was on & in the process I took a look at many Maruti & Hyundai cars. The resale price of Maruti and Hyundai were & still are on a higher side and did not find it like VFM.
So we decided that we need to go for new car and this was some where in Feb or March. Budget for the car was about 5 lakhs.

I thought, buying a new car would be simple as compared to buying a used car, but I was wrong. It eventually proved to be more difficult task. There were all questions like which car, what are the features required, what about A S S, What about the cost of maintaining the same etc.

Below is the 1st look at my Car
Attached Thumbnails
My Jewel.. “Deep Sapphire Blue - Honda JAZZ"-car-during-pdi.jpg  

Old 19th October 2010, 11:42   #2
BHPian

Let me be the first to congratulate you! Continue posting your experiences.
Old 19th October 2010, 11:51   #3
BHPian

So tried to list out our requirements:

1) Car should have Air Bags and ABS Safety First
2) Good leg room and cabin space to accommodate 5 and if need arise also be able to squeeze the 6th person.
3) It should be a petrol car only.
4) Good reliability and no frequent visit to service station required.
5) Boot Space should be acceptable if not great.

Then with these requirements in mind went out and had a look at almost every car on weekends (advantage of staying in Navi Mumbai as one can visit all the car dealers in 7-8 Kms range). Almost every car was considered before making the decision.

Only the below cars made into final list of buying decision:

1) i20 – It is car with all most of the gadgets that you can get in Hatchback. Took a test drive with my family. After 10 mins drive my family rejected it.
• AC was not at all Good.
• Middle passenger support was not at all good
• Overall space was average.
• Colour of dashboard some kind of chocolate brown.
• Not sure if others noticed it or was that the issue with test drive car.
a) 1st and 3rd Gear through was very long.
b) Clutch paddle had a very long range so it took some effort to change the Gear.
As I also did not like it that much after the test drive did not try to convince the same to family members.

2) Ritz – This was the car I almost finalised. As Ritz looks are like it or hate it. So most my family members were for the like part but my brother was in the hate it side. So we had to accept his decision and had to drop the idea of buying Ritz. If there was an approval received from my bro definitely would have purchased Ritz as did not find anything to complain.

How was Jazz selected????
Old 19th October 2010, 12:07   #4
Senior - BHPian

congrats dude!
Really great to see so many Jazz ownership threads coming up on this forum!
Will look forward to more details and pics
Old 19th October 2010, 12:19   #5
BHPian

Jazz was never in my list of cars due to the price.

One weekend while on a hunt for car me and one of my friend were passing by a Honda showroom. I thought, why not go and check out the Jazz. On hearing that my friend said “Are you going to buy such an expensive car?” I was like “you and me know that we are not going to buy such an expensive car but sales people don’t know we that. Dekhnae ke paise thodi lagtha hai? Lets check it out!!

So we went ahead and had a look at Jazz. 1st look at the car & heart is sold on this car. Liked the space and utility that was on offer in the car. Interior was best in the class with good quality of fitting and knobs. Took test drive of the car good handling, easy to handle and engine was very happy to be revved(Other points have been already listed by other owners so not mentioning them again). But my mind said can’t buy such an expensive car. That was the end there.

After Ritz and i20 were rejected, checked out the Jazz again somewhere in my heart it still remained as car to buy. This time heart was more convinced but mind was again saying NO. This dilemma continued and after much thought I was able to ascertain something that my mind was also convinced to buy this car.
“If I buy any other car I will need to upgrade the car in next 3 years to a sedan. But if I buy a Jazz there will be no need to upgrade to a sedan and can live with the car for next 6-7 years easily.” (My personal opinion & based on my personal requirements)

I shared my thoughts with my brother. He went on a weekend and checked out the Jazz. After returning from the showroom he was also convinced that we should buy this car. This was way back in June. After that we went to the final authority in our house my Dad and told him about the same and there was an instant “NO NO” after hearing the price. Instead dad started convincing my brother that we should go for Ritz. But to no avail. Buy this time I was completely sold on to Jazz (as there were new reviews coming up for Jazz on Team-BHP and agreed to all the points made by the owners) so was no more interested in buying Ritz.

One morning I took my family to a have a look at Jazz and understand the features. After visiting the showroom I could see my dad’s change in attitude towards Jazz. Still it took some time for my dad also to give his final approval in August. He also must have had the same dilemma whether to buy such an expensive car. But YES final approval was there and we were buying JAZZ

Thought buying would be easy as we had decided on the car, which again proved wrong!!!!
Old 19th October 2010, 12:25   #6
BHPian

Congratulations Crooze,

First time I sat in Jazz was when I left my car for servicing last time. Iam amazed by the space, interiors of this beauty.

Drive safe and have fun,

Keep updating with experiences and more pics please.
Old 19th October 2010, 12:57   #7
Senior - BHPian

@scrooze

Thats one family melodrama there. But it same case with almost every car buying. Anyways Congratulations on getting Jazzed. The blue colour looks stunning.

You haven't mentioned the OTR in your posts, do tell us that. Also any mod planned?

We definitely want some pics. Happy mile crunching and drive safely.
Old 19th October 2010, 13:37   #8
BHPian

Once there was go ahead received from my Dad, tried to get in touch with all the Honda dealerships in Mumbai to find where was I getting the best deal. Almost all the dealership offered the same discount with some freebies hear and there.

During the buying process came to know that there were no Euro IV Cars available with any of the dealers for JAZZ. Got in touch with Honda help line but was of no use as there was no clear answer received for the same. JAZZ XMT was only available in Euro IV but price difference for Select and XMT was coming to around to Rs. 80k . Did not find that I should pay 80k more for XMT so we finally decided that we should go ahead and buy Jazz Select this took us around a week’s time. The variant for Jazz was finalised as Jazz Select which comes with Alloys and much required parcel tray. Next step was i think most of the people send time after deciding the car and variant. Which Colour?

Well this proved to be a really hard decision to make. There was close fight till the end for Deep Sapphire Blue and White. But after much thought all said we should buy Deep Sapphire Blue. So everything was decided now only remaining was to buy the car and get it home. All the above process bought us to start of September. Contact all the dealers to ask if there was Deep Sapphire Blue in stock and to my surprise none of the dealers had the same in stock. I wanted the car to be delivered before 20nd September as could not take delivery due to sharad (All hindus believe it is an inauspicious 15 day period) after that. Now wanted to get the car ASAP as had been planning to buy car for a Year now.

Got a call for Apex Honda on 8th September that the car was in transit and should reach Mumbai by 16th September. It will get registered and delivered by 20th September. After knowing this I went on 11th September as it was Ganesh chaturthi and booked the car. The long wait started now & I had the feeling so near yet so far. And I was again let down as Car could reach Mumbai only by 21st September .

So the next delivery date was decided as 16th October which was long long time but had to follow the same and reverse counting of the days started. Days passed very slowly. Finally in October 1st week got all the Bank paper work completed and loan was approved. 6th October went for a PDI was excited as this was the 1st time I will get to see my car. Went to the stock yard and there was my car standing in front of me. Got the PDI as per check list. Everything was working fine and was happy with the same. Asked the sales representative to send someone and get Form 20 signed by me.

So now the final wait for the delivery started. Was following up with the sales person on a regular basis about the status of registration and on 13th October got the registration no and was confirmed that 16th October will get the delivery on time.

Last edited by Eddy : 19th October 2010 at 13:51. Reason: Please do not copy paste from an external editor.
Old 19th October 2010, 14:27   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrooze View Post
Jazz was never in my list of cars due to the price.

Dekhnae ke paise thodi lagtha hai? Lets check it out!!

So we went ahead and had a look at Jazz. 1st look at the car & heart is sold on this car. Liked the space and utility that was on offer in the car. Interior was best in the class with good quality of fitting and knobs. Took test drive of the car good handling, easy to handle and engine was very happy to be revved(Other points have been already listed by other owners so not mentioning them again). But my mind said can’t buy such an expensive car. That was the end there.
I guess if one hasn't seen the Jazz from inside that it is very natural for him to out-rightly reject it due to its price. After seeing the car from inside and driving it, it becomes the matter between the heart and the mind. I am happy that your heart has won the battle.

I also agree with your point of view that apart from the engine capacity and boot, in every other respect Jazz is nothing short of a sedan and even better.
Old 19th October 2010, 14:31   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutvij View Post
I guess if one hasn't seen the Jazz from inside that it is very natural for him to out-rightly reject it due to its price. After seeing the car from inside and driving it, it becomes the matter between the heart and the mind. I am happy that your heart has won the battle.

I also agree with your point of view that apart from the engine capacity and boot, in every other respect Jazz is nothing short of a sedan and even better.
Totally agree!
Same thing happened to me as well. In fact reading through this thread kind of reminded me of the same feelings I had during my decision to buy Jazz.
Well, the boot at 384 litres is almost the same as sedans (it is bigger than Verna ) and if you add all the flexibility of magic seats, the luggage carrying capacity of Jazz can put many sedans to shame!
I would have loved to have the 1.5 on the jazz but the 1.2 is so butter smooth and gives more than adequate power. In fact, now-a-days, i am enjoying her a lot as I build up the revs.
Old 19th October 2010, 16:29   #11
BHPian

Then finally came 16th Oct the day which I was now waiting for a year. Was awake early in the morning on a Saturday which is usually a lazy day for me. Got ready and left home. On my way was recollecting the past year how we had reached the decision of buying the car.

Reached showroom checked all the paper work and was satisfied with the same. Did PDI before taking the delivery of the car. In PDI noticed there were small scratche to the mud flap on the right front asked the sales representative to get it replaced this was done immediately (Great work by dealership). The Demo person explained every feature in detail and I made sure to ask anything which I was not aware as this will be my 1st car and did not wanted to risk it due to my lack of knowledge. After that small pooja was performed and a small pack of chocolates were given to us.

Finally we were handed over the keys for our car and were all set to take the beauty home.

This was the deal that I got 7.61 was the OTR price with Teflon, Anti rust, Mirror locks, Mats and car cover as freebies.

All the process or information provided is not entirely from a technical prospective. This was done with a purpose as there are many technical reviews of the car now from the experts who have better knowledge then me. Just wanted to highlight the non technical aspects of buying 1st car by a family

At the end of buying process will like to tell Jazz as a car can be purchased who has heart over mind and not vice versa. As mind is never 100% convinced to buy this car while heart is 200% convinced to but this car.

Some pictures below. Need to click some good pictures.will do the same on weekend.

Front View
My Jewel.. “Deep Sapphire Blue - Honda JAZZ"-picture-0.jpg
Back View
My Jewel.. “Deep Sapphire Blue - Honda JAZZ"-picture-1.jpg
Jazz looks best from this angle according to me
My Jewel.. “Deep Sapphire Blue - Honda JAZZ"-picture-2.jpg
Somethings Money can't buy
My Jewel.. “Deep Sapphire Blue - Honda JAZZ"-img_1254.jpg
Old 19th October 2010, 16:39   #12
Senior - BHPian

Scrooze congrats on your latest Acquisition and sure it's Jazzy!!

Not sure what it's priced at in Bangalore, but 7.6lks with all those accessories seems to be a steal.
Drive Safe... Moreso since your Jazz has the Most Gorgeous Driver behind the Wheel in that Pic!!
Old 19th October 2010, 19:48   #13
BHPian

Initial Impression and some fittings

Have driven the car for about 200km in 3 days. Initial impressions
  • Engine is a gem super silent. As run in period try to maintain rpm about 2000 but must say very difficult to maintain the same as it is very easy to go over so have to keep an eye on rpm also.
  • Space is excellent. There is space to keep all small things all over the car.
  • ICE provided is really very good.
  • Average displayed is around 14.5 – 15 which is agin good with 100% ac.
  • Very easy to move in city traffic and parking is like a piece of cake even for a person like me who has limited car driving experience.
  • Rear view mirrors give a clear view of the activity behind the vehicle.
Some planned fittings in next months time:

1) Sun Film : Currently thinking of getting K37 or T35 on sides and back as suggested and V Kool 70 for windscreen.
2) Seat Covers : Planning to art leather seat covers most probably G-Sports. Any more recommendations?
3) Aux to USB : This should help to solve the missing USB port from the cars features list.
4) Splitter : As power out is only one thinking of getting a power splitter which multiple USB points (As most of my electronics have a USB charger)

As will need to travel to get Sun films and seat covers. Currently not aware of any good installers in

-Ve’s
I certainly would have liked auto climate control in the car.
Old 19th October 2010, 20:20   #14
BHPian

Congratulations scrooze on the new buy!

Jazz was my initial choice when I was hunting for a car, but eventually got a ANHC.
I was totally bowled over by the space and utility in the car! My dad calls it a 'Mini Innova'!
I think the price you have paid is really worth it considering what you get:
Great space, power (best in class i think!), refinement, Honda reliability, great looks and of course the prestige associated with the Honda badge!

All the best and enjoy the new car! Drive safe!
Old 19th October 2010, 21:50   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrooze View Post
Have driven the car for about 200km in 3 days. Initial impressions
  • Engine is a gem super silent. As run in period try to maintain rpm about 2000 but must say very difficult to maintain the same as it is very easy to go over so have to keep an eye on rpm also.
  • Space is excellent. There is space to keep all small things all over the car.
  • ICE provided is really very good.
  • Average displayed is around 14.5 – 15 which is agin good with 100% ac.
  • Very easy to move in city traffic and parking is like a piece of cake even for a person like me who has limited car driving experience.
  • Rear view mirrors give a clear view of the activity behind the vehicle.
Some planned fittings in next months time:

1) Sun Film : Currently thinking of getting K37 or T35 on sides and back as suggested and V Kool 70 for windscreen.
2) Seat Covers : Planning to art leather seat covers most probably G-Sports. Any more recommendations?
3) Aux to USB : This should help to solve the missing USB port from the cars features list.
4) Splitter : As power out is only one thinking of getting a power splitter which multiple USB points (As most of my electronics have a USB charger)

As will need to travel to get Sun films and seat covers. Currently not aware of any good installers in

-Ve’s
I certainly would have liked auto climate control in the car.
Hey man, your initial mileage figures are very good, but the display in the car is normally optimistic by 1 kmpl or so. Plz check the real mileage on tankful basis and let us know. Inititally,my mileage was also very good - around 13+ with 1-00% AC in City but now with all the revving, it has dropped to around 11.5 kmpl, which is still very respectable. Believe me, it is a lot of fun to redline it and can be addictive! plz let me know if you are able to find a good enough solution for the aux to usb conversion. I have searched a lot but haven't got anything other than the FM transmitters.
I too wud luv the ACC and folding mirrors plus boot and reading/map lights. That wud have made the car perfect and fully loaded.

Most Viewed