Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2010, 18:44   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmitr13 View Post
26) Yesterday, on my way back to Bangalore, turned on 4H on a heavy pour in Krishnagiri ghats. Normal operation, no quirks. Able to still cruise at 80 kmph.

28) I hear a whistling sound from my ride side when gradually raising the speed. It comes like every 2 mins.

31) Need a left side bonnet mirror just like the Fortuner.
Buddy ...
26) 60 KMHP should be the MAX for 4H [as per the manual OR the Tech Sales told me, I think]
Also, we dont need 4H for those sections - I often drive in there and never felt a need for 4H and I think, its better not to use 4H in TAR roads and NEVER use 4L mode at all TARMAC roads.

28) Whistling sound - I hear from the passenger side [front] when the window is rolled down. SA said its just wind sound in the triangle area [Glass to A pillar], but I dont hear the same in my [driver] side !

Prem.
Old 2nd November 2010, 19:04   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
Buddy ...
26) 60 KMHP should be the MAX for 4H [as per the manual OR the Tech Sales told me, I think]
KHT SA (service advisor) suggested that 4H could be used just as normal during a heavy pour!!! I am aware of the fact that 4H/L should NEVER be used on a tarmac (prominent sticker on the driver side windscreen.)

Quote:
28) Whistling sound - I hear from the passenger side [front] when the window is rolled down. SA said its just wind sound in the triangle area [Glass to A pillar], but I dont hear the same in my [driver] side !
SA called me to assure that it is the VTT noise. Not convinced though.
Old 2nd November 2010, 19:14   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
.. the headlamp comes on, once this happens, just switch on and switch off parking lights, the headlamps go off, you can then lock the car and the headlights will not come back on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
In my LX I am doing Lock - Unlock - Lock to switch off headlights.

Please try this combination.
Thanks. Both works.

Quote:
Few Photos from the past 2 weeks.

I don't know yet how to add captions for each photo
I am also yet to upload. I guess, you should click on the picture icon (in the editor) instead of the attachments icon.
Old 2nd November 2010, 19:26   #34
BHPian

Quote:
27) Oil lamp suddenly came ON during my onward journey. Was quite concerned, but after a stop-start, it went off. Just like the ABS lights.
My mistake. It was Malfunction Indicator Lamp and not the Oil Lamp.
Old 2nd November 2010, 19:28   #35
BHPian

@sgmitr13,

Congrats for the new safari. Please do post some more pics of the interior. Heard that there is improvement in the fit and finish in 2010 model. Is that true?

Wish you many more happy miles with the beast.
Old 2nd November 2010, 19:33   #36
BHPian

32) One annoying experience: The AC blower is not perfect to my likeness.
There are leakages and when driving in the night, condensation forms from the outside around windscreen bottom area. Ideally it forms when the air-flow knob is set 4th or 5th position during opposite climate conditions. One can feel a slight escape of air when kept at the 1st position (front or face facing). This is one heck of the problem, not suitable for night driving (just after a shower).
Old 2nd November 2010, 19:45   #37
Senior - BHPian

One question. Why did you feel the need to switch to 4H on good 4 lane roads? Were you feeling lack of traction with new tires because of wet conditions?

P.S
I was driving back in pouring rain from Kerala on the same highway at around 3.30 pm and was doing speeds of 110 kmph without any loss of traction.

Last edited by Lukeskywalker : 2nd November 2010 at 19:48.
Old 2nd November 2010, 19:58   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Buddy ...
BTW, 65 KMPH is the max speed to SWITCH to 4H and back to 2H, not necessarily the top speed for the 4H. Obviously, one must slow down to consciously roll the wheel. Good thing to keep that small roller wheel at almost inaccessible place.

One more thing, even if one engages 4L accidently, 4x4 will not engage unless the car comes to a complete stop, as told by SA.
Old 2nd November 2010, 20:21   #39
BHPian

Quote:
One question. Why did you feel the need to switch to 4H on good 4 lane roads? Were you feeling lack of traction with new tires because of wet conditions?

P.S
I was driving back in pouring rain from Kerala on the same highway at around 3.30 pm and was doing speeds of 110 kmph without any loss of traction.
I just gave it a try for that short distance, that's all. I didn't find any noticable difference and the vehicle stability was never a doubt even in 2H. My intention was to test all features at the first given opportunity.
Old 2nd November 2010, 20:34   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I just gave it a try for that short distance, that's all. I didn't find any noticable difference and the vehicle stability was never a doubt even in 2H. My intention was to test all features at the first given opportunity
Fair enough, hope you stopped and reversed the vehicle once you switched back to 2H. A better way to check 4WD is to actually drive on surfaces with very less traction like sand or slush.
Old 3rd November 2010, 06:13   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Fair enough, hope you stopped and reversed the vehicle once you switched back to 2H. A better way to check 4WD is to actually drive on surfaces with very less traction like sand or slush.
I thought, this is needed only after 4L mode - NO ?
Anyway, I have never turned the wheel [2/4H/4L] yet. So, didnt do anything stupid

Prem.
Old 3rd November 2010, 08:33   #42
Senior - BHPian

@ Kavi, every time you drive in 4wd, High or Low, you need to unlock your hubs, this happens automatically once you change the direction of travel in 4wd.
Old 3rd November 2010, 10:02   #43
BHPian

Quote:
I thought, this is needed only after 4L mode - NO ?
Anyway, I have never turned the wheel [2/4H/4L] yet. So, didnt do anything stupid
According to SA - the opposite direction driving for 3 wheel rotation is required only for 4L. However, the manual says "for effective front free wheeling" STOP and drive in opp direction, even for 4H. However, it is a MUST for 4L.

This beats the idea of on the fly change over to 4H <-> 2H. Also my biggest concern of leaving the car with family or friends.

Had a terrible lesson, when a family friend tried real hard to engage reverse in Palio, resulting a broken bracket.
Old 3rd November 2010, 12:06   #44
Team-BHP Support

If you drive at 80kmph with front hubs locked on any surface, you are looking at potential hub damage. Do not exceed 60-70kmph with the front hubs locked.
Old 3rd November 2010, 13:22   #45
BHPian

@Luke & TSK: Point noted, thanks for the tip.

@Luke, have seen your photos, did you sign-up for such outdoors? Should hook-up.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks