Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2010, 23:40   #1
BHPian

Dashing Grey Polo TDI Highline

Here is my experience/ decision factor on buying Polo. Though this is done by everyone here in Team-BHP, I feel this is important, since it tells you the reason behind buying a vehicle. Who knows there might be another person who could be in a similar state as you going through this phase and it can be useful to him/her. Pardon my language here since I am narrating down my experience for the first time.

HOW IT STARTED

It all started in the month of June, when my Office was changed to a far away one from my home. I felt, though my Swift was still going great guns, that I need a change of car – a diesel perhaps, especially since I was looking at a per month travel of over 2000kms.
A diesel car was something new to me, since in our family, we never had taken a diesel car. And I should say I, or rather we, are lucky because there are a lot of diesel options to look at compared to maybe 5 years back.

THE CARS

I started off with i20 only as I was deeply impressed with i20 CRDi Asta model and was planning to zero in on it, without even TD’ing it; which is when I thought I will TD Fiat Punto as well before deciding. And to be honest, I was mighty impressed with Punto. I asked the dealer to bring the vehicle to my office in Bannerghatta Road. I took it straight to NICE road, and smoked the road with it. The vehicle was just eager to do more.
The only thing I disliked in Punto (at first itself) were the Interior design and quality of plastics used. But thought I will give it a pass because otherwise the car was too good to resist.
Then I TD an i20, and my belief that Punto was a very good car was only strengthened (primary reason – handling/steering feedback of Punto).

So this was first change of interest for me; which is when I saw that VW delears have got display vehicles of Polo. I went and checked – first impression was that Polo is a well put together car, especially in its class. I enquired for a TD, but there weren’t vehicles available.
Yet another change of Interest is what I would prefer describing after checking out Polo. Then one day, I got a call saying Petrol vehicle was available for TD. I thought I’ll check it out first, though not a diesel one. To be honest, I was not mighty impressed with the Petrol engine – since I was using a Swift and regularly drive my dad’s fiesta as well. For a petrol engine, it was tad noisy and felt not too much of power/torque play as well to keep you interested. So I thought diesel would not be even driveable.
I was getting confused whether to go for a feature rich Punto or wait and TD a Polo. Somehow, my office life got the better of me, for which I would thank god always, though I was cursing at that point of time, and I was kept busy for almost 2 months.
In and around July/august, I got a call from the dealer saying even a diesel car for TD have come. So I went and took a TD. It was a new vehicle which ran hardly 300 kms when I went for a TD.
I again took the vehicle on NICE road and tested the handling/ stability of the car and was really impressed with handling skills of the car. But again, I felt it is slightly on a slower side. I thought, maybe it is because that was a new car and would take time for the engine to settle in comfortably.

THE FINAL DECISION

This is when I started following Chethan’s ownership report of his Polo TDI Highline, and with his experiences, I slowly was gaining confidence on the car and realized it is quite powerful, maybe not class-leading, but is economical as well. And then I made up my mind and walked in to a VW showroom again and took a TD, it felt a far better car this time around.
So now I have two options – Punto (again 90 hp was launched and did a TD – didn’t find too much of a power surge difference from the 75bhp one, but was still a wonderful car). I left the decision to my wife and parents on what they like. I asked Fiat and VW dealer to bring a Punto and Polo to my house in Kerala (where my parents live) and also took my wife for another TD on Polo and Punto here in Bangalore.

BOOKING AND DELIVERY

The unanimous decision came out – Polo. So thus it was decided and I booked a Pepper Grey VW Polo TDI Highline on 04/10/10 at EVM Motors, Cochin.
After 4 days from the date I booked, I got a call from the dealer saying my car is ready. I was a little sceptical at first thinking how come I got one so fast when people usually had to spend around 2 months waiting; then I talked to the dealer and came to know that the person who was supposed to get this had some loan approval issues. So to confirm everything is fine, I send my brother to the dealer on the same day to check the car, and came to know that car is in good condition, and when I checked the VIN number – came to know that the production date was on 18/09/10. So everything looked fine and in place. I was able to go to Cochin only on 18/10/10. Got it registered on Tuesday, 19th and took the delivery on Wednesday 20th.
I got a corporate discount of 5K from the dealer, and for that amount purchased mud flaps and mats for the car.
After taking delivery, went straight to a temple, did vahana pooja, and first drive was to Bangalore.
Pics following.

Last edited by n_aditya : 27th October 2010 at 16:27. Reason: extra smiley removed.
Old 26th October 2010, 23:53   #2
Senior - BHPian

Congrats!! Even I own the pepper grey beauty. It's a lovely color. The best shade of grey i have seen so far. Some pictures please
Old 27th October 2010, 00:47   #3
BHPian

Thanks dude!!!!Yes, indeed it is one good looking color. In fact, one of my friend who was not a big fan of Polo, seeing it in other colors, saw the pics of my car and fell in love with the car, especially the color. Quite a good amount of people in my office also complemented me about the color.

Time for few pics. Pardon the image quality.
Attached Thumbnails
Dashing Grey Polo TDI Highline-c.jpg  

Dashing Grey Polo TDI Highline-c1.jpg  

Dashing Grey Polo TDI Highline-c2.jpg  

Dashing Grey Polo TDI Highline-c3.jpg  

Dashing Grey Polo TDI Highline-c4.jpg  

Dashing Grey Polo TDI Highline-dscf2432.jpg  

Dashing Grey Polo TDI Highline-c5.jpg  

Dashing Grey Polo TDI Highline-c6.jpg  

Dashing Grey Polo TDI Highline-c7.jpg  

Dashing Grey Polo TDI Highline-c8.jpg  

Old 27th October 2010, 01:54   #4
BHPian

Wow! The car looks gorgeous. I too have become a fan of the understated elegant VW design.

Thanks for the excellent report! Enjoy your car and wish you several years of trouble free ownership.
Old 27th October 2010, 05:20   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations. Now looking forward to your drive report.
Old 27th October 2010, 06:12   #6
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Kiran! Nice color. I am sure you will like the car all the more, after running it for about 5000 Kms. Engine / power delivery becomes a lot smoother. It is a rev happy engine - Diesel at that!
Old 27th October 2010, 09:00   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on the Polo TDI. This color I sighted only a week ago and should I say it looks very very good. Nice pictures there. Get some during broad daylight as well to complete the photo package.

Enjoy many more happy miles with the Polo.
Old 27th October 2010, 09:06   #8
TOR
BHPian

Congrats on the buy!

Drive safe and keep us updated with the story here on. Wonder how the JK vectra's would compliment the car?
Old 27th October 2010, 09:28   #9
Senior - BHPian

Hey thats a really nice color and its looking great on Polo. Congrats bro
Old 27th October 2010, 10:35   #10
BHPian

First thank you, all!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjimmy View Post
Wow! The car looks gorgeous. I too have become a fan of the understated elegant VW design.

Thanks for the excellent report! Enjoy your car and wish you several years of trouble free ownership.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Congrats on the Polo TDI. This color I sighted only a week ago and should I say it looks very very good. Nice pictures there. Get some during broad daylight as well to complete the photo package.

Enjoy many more happy miles with the Polo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Hey thats a really nice color and its looking great on Polo. Congrats bro
She truly is a head turner. One such experience is when I went to my office. I couldn't get Parking space in the basement and I had to park in the open near "The smoking area" in my office. When I went near my car to show her to one of my friend, there was a small crowd around my car. At first I thought, while parking somebody did damage to my car....But then, when I went near it, there were just checking her out....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Congratulations. Now looking forward to your drive report.
Sudev, I am going on a trip to Bandipur National Park this weekend, I will post my detailed drive report post that, since I think I can comment her performance on all terrains then. Though I have already driven her on highways and I am highly impressed. Come this weekend, and I can test her on ghat terrain as well.....

@krishna, I will post pictures taken during broad daylight as well, when I go for the trip..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Congrats Kiran! Nice color. I am sure you will like the car all the more, after running it for about 5000 Kms. Engine / power delivery becomes a lot smoother. It is a rev happy engine - Diesel at that!
Chethan, It would be unimaginable, how much would I be liking her after doing 5K kms!!!!
Now what is happening is, every km passed and I am beginning to like her all the more, and yes it is a rev happy engine, though I have not tried revving past 3K RPM. I have already crossed 1K kms, and it is not even 1 week passed since I got it. I am enjoying every moment of it!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOR View Post
Congrats on the buy!

Drive safe and keep us updated with the story here on. Wonder how the JK vectra's would compliment the car?
I asked the dealer, why there was a change of tire from Apollo, especially since Cochin has 2 Apollo factories. He said, Apollo is facing some kind of employee union problems and their production has come down. Hence JK....

One very amusing thing that I noticed was the paint quality. Have not used a car which has a better paint quality. The instance of my enlightenment came when I was returning home from Office and a bike was coming in opposite direction. There were a few pot holes in the road, and the guy took evasive measures. He was heading straight for my car, so I just stopped. But he couldn't stop his rear view mirror from hitting mine!!!!I was furious.

However, when I reached home and checked it, I could feel a small rough patch on the mirror, and I just took some water and tried wiping it off and alas MAGIC....it is shining as ever and no scratches/problems!!!!Hope it remains like this all through....Touch wood!!!!

Overall, I couldn't be more happy with a car...
Old 27th October 2010, 11:25   #11
Senior - BHPian

Woah Kiran awesome acquisition bro!!

People are going in for the Polo inspite of still questionable VW service. Just hope VW will take note of this and ensure they don't repeat Skoda experience to its customers.

I have been a big fan of Dark colors all my life but this Grey and the Figo Grey are some of the best colours on any Indian car....EVER!!

Last edited by Vik0728 : 27th October 2010 at 11:27.
Old 27th October 2010, 11:51   #12
Senior - BHPian

Wow! Congratulations on the buy. And the color too is my favorite! looking for more reports and pictures!
Old 27th October 2010, 16:01   #13
BHPian

Congratulations Kiran!

Superb color... does VW give alloys on the TDI version? I thought all variants had hub caps.

If you don't mind my asking - how much did you end up paying for it?

All the best and drive safe!
Old 27th October 2010, 17:39   #14
BHPian

Kiran, Congratulations and an excellent color choice. Loved the Polo in this color even better than the red one. Enjoy your drive with your new acquisition.
Old 27th October 2010, 17:56   #15
BHPian

Congratulations on the Polo.

Had a query, are the two keys in the last pic the same? The first one looks a bit worn out!

Last edited by eagle_bush : 27th October 2010 at 18:10.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks