Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2010, 17:48   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopikb View Post
I guess you need to take it to the workshop and fix it. There is some issue which needs to be addressed soon. Dont take any chances on this one.Hopefully it is just a minor fault
Thanks . I have talked with the Fiat customer care and they assured that
the service people will contact me.
Old 12th November 2010, 19:44   #32
BHPian

Even I get the 'excess fluid temp' message occasionally. Tomorrow I will be visiting the SC for replacing the rear wiper. Will check with the SA too. Please Keep us updated on the resolution to your issues.
Old 12th November 2010, 21:39   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientmariner View Post
Even I get the 'excess fluid temp' message occasionally. Tomorrow I will be visiting the SC for replacing the rear wiper. Will check with the SA too. Please Keep us updated on the resolution to your issues.
I got a call from Manager of Tata SC as promised by the Fiat customer service and asked me to bring the vehicle for computer diagnosis. This was my first call to FIAT and happy to see that they are serious in customer satisfaction. The CS person was very friendly and even told me that he can even look at the problem after the showroom hours near his residence. Tomorrow I will take the vehicle and will update on service.

Another thing I have noticed is that Fiat is very honest in it's FE claim. For my 1.4 FIRE I am getting 15.8 -16 range on highway(40km) with moderate traffic and the figure settle down to 14-14.5 if combines with many small trips of equal distance. FE figure of 13.8 which they claim looks very reasonable in a heavy traffic in approriate gears. Many of my colleagues are reporting that they are getting 13-14 for their i10 where hyundai claims 18 km/l(i10 owners can correct me). I have not tested the vehicle on a long higway strech.
Old 15th November 2010, 22:58   #34
BHPian

Today I took the vehicle to Tata motors.No fault was found in computerised diagnosis. Today morning also there was a jerk and EBOD system failure lamp just appeared while the rpm needle changed abruptly. The Manager asked me to keep the engine idling for 40 min while taking the vehicle early morning. Engine rpm while idling will be above 1000 and comes down to 800 rpm value after 30 -40 sec which is ideal for taking the vehicle in gear. I also observed absence of jerk if I wait the temperature gauge needle to move a little further. There is absolutely no problem once the engine attain the optimum temperature.
service station is 20 km away from my residence and I had a some FE check with a light foot on accelerator, maintaining 65-80 range. I got a fuel efficiency
of 18.1(I forgot to turn off the engine while preparing camera ready and FE dropped from 18.1 to 17.9) and 17.1(return journey) with 100 % AC on.
Attached Thumbnails
My  Grande Punto 1.4 Emotion in Red has arrived :Initial ownership & review-dsc01521.jpg  

My  Grande Punto 1.4 Emotion in Red has arrived :Initial ownership & review-dsc01522.jpg  

My  Grande Punto 1.4 Emotion in Red has arrived :Initial ownership & review-dsc01523.jpg  

My  Grande Punto 1.4 Emotion in Red has arrived :Initial ownership & review-dsc01524.jpg  

Old 16th November 2010, 02:57   #35
BHPian

vsk2009, did the service manager ask you to keep the engine idle after cold start for 40 seconds or 40 min? I guess it is 40 secs.

I am glad that the computer diagnosis did not show any issues. Hopefully this is a minor issue because of new engine and it is taking time to settle down. By the way, I have never made a conscious attempt to idle the engine after cold start with my Punto till date. So I am not sure if this is the right reason. Let us see if your problem doesnot recur if you follow the service manager's advice
Old 16th November 2010, 05:43   #36
BHPian

Quote:
vsk2009, did the service manager ask you to keep the engine idle after cold start for 40 seconds or 40 min? I guess it is 40 secs.
Yes it is 40 sec. Thanks!. I also not fully convinced by the reason. If 40 sec idling is needed it should have pointed out in Team bhp Forum. I am trying to capture the video of the problem and send it to Fiat.
Old 16th November 2010, 09:30   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsk2009 View Post
I got a fuel efficiency
of 18.1(I forgot to turn off the engine while preparing camera ready and FE dropped from 18.1 to 17.9) and 17.1(return journey) with 100 % AC on.
I did this last night and the actual was arround 30 with no AC at 60kmph@1500 rpm, on my return journey from Eletronic City to Whitefield via SH 35.
Attached Thumbnails
My  Grande Punto 1.4 Emotion in Red has arrived :Initial ownership & review-punto_milage_3.jpg  

Last edited by asdon : 16th November 2010 at 09:32.
Old 16th November 2010, 12:31   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
I did this last night and the actual was arround 30 with no AC at 60kmph@1500 rpm, on my return journey from Eletronic City to Whitefield via SH 35.
Amazing FE!. You should get an award from Fiat. Cruising in 70-80 is a different kind of pleasure in Punto. You feel a as if you are moving in a carpet in a relaxed way.
Old 16th November 2010, 13:48   #39
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsk2009 View Post
It is not loose. The cover is not joining properly because the Punto's steering is not uniform and it is bulky on both left and right ens.The steering wheel coming in E Pack are perfectly fitted. But I don't think they sell it as accessaries.
For about 2K you can get perfect fitting leather steering covers fitted on the steering wheels. These feel the same as the original leather provided by the car manufacturers. Most car accessories shop would be able to do this for you - you do need to leave the car for most of the day as they remove the stearing and send it for stiching, The guy who fitted stanleys for you should be able to do it for sure.
Old 16th November 2010, 20:27   #40
BHPian

asdon, very good figures on the fuel efficiency. The best I have achieved till date is 24.3km/l on a 650km trip from Bangalore to Melmarvathur and back. I was driving sedately all along at 70~80km/hr even in the Bangalore-Krishnagiri road. We were driving in two separate cars (the other one being zen estilo) and hence was driving slow.

But 33.6 is very good. The only time I have archived >30km/l is while driving down the Ooty ghats. But this came back to 20km/l by the time we reached Mysore.

Last edited by gopikb : 16th November 2010 at 20:31.
Old 16th November 2010, 22:25   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
- you do need to leave the car for most of the day as they remove the stearing and send it for stiching, The guy who fitted stanleys for you should be able to do it for sure.
Thanks ACM.

Quote:
asdon, very good figures on the fuel efficiency. The best I have achieved till date is 24.3km/l on a 650km trip from Bangalore to Melmarvathur and back.
On a plane road if one relax the accelerator IC can show a max value of 50 km/l in 1.4 petrol. I remember the figure was around 80 km/l in MJD during my test drive. So Max IC reading in MJD is 60% more than that of 1.4 FIRE. This will put an upper limit of MAXFE_FIRE * 1.6 for MJD. I remember the best FE reported for 1.4 FIRE is 19 km/l by Nav75. So adson's figure is close to that.
Old 16th November 2010, 23:50   #42
BHPian

Warning light while idling

Today morning after starting the engine kept it in idling for 3 min. I had observed the ignition failure light appeared after 53 sec in idling. But this time there was no jerk. So this contradict the service managers claim that the jerking is due to taking the vehicle immodestly after starting. Since the computer diagnosis didn't shown any error I think there is some problem. For video see the following link which I captured while idling

Appearance of warning light can be seen between 52-55 sec. Does the rpm needle behave in the same way in your car while idling(Punto 1.4 owners). Can it be due to improper fuel injection? Why it is only appearing in cold start? I have not taken the vehicle above 80km/hr(or 300 rpm) till now and also using Normal petrol as mentioned in the manual. I am going to send this link to FIAT and now they should give me a complete technical explanation.
Old 17th November 2010, 07:16   #43
BHPian

vsk2009, Since this appears only for a few seconds, it is possible that we might have missed noticing this in our cars. I am not sure. I will check everyday this week and let you know if such phenomenon occurs during cold start
Old 18th November 2010, 23:44   #44
BHPian

FE update

Yesterday I had travelled 31 km from Vasco to Panaji during 6 PM in moderate traffic and got a FE of 19.4 Km/L(with 2 adults and a child with AC on always). I would have crossed 20 if I get more km to drive. I am happy with this figure since this is the kind of traffic that I will be facing most of the time. I don't think currently my alto touches this figure. Fiat's petrol engines with drive-by-wire are indeed fuel efficient and one need to use the pedal economically. Make use of the inertia of the vehicle while driving on a plane or sloppy road as much as possible to get a better overall average. Climbing up is a costly affair with it's heavy mass which will bring down the average.
Attached Thumbnails
My  Grande Punto 1.4 Emotion in Red has arrived :Initial ownership & review-17112010003.jpg  

My  Grande Punto 1.4 Emotion in Red has arrived :Initial ownership & review-17112010005.jpg  

Last edited by vsk2009 : 18th November 2010 at 23:48.
Old 19th November 2010, 00:10   #45
Senior - BHPian

Vsk2009, the mileage figures are impressive to say the least. I must say that you're really a maestro in extracting the maximum from each and every drop of petrol

I'll be looking forward to see more impressive mileage figures from your side. Keep us updated.

Wish you a happy & safe motoring

Amith

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks