Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2010, 17:48   #1
BHPian

My Grande Punto 1.4 Emotion in Red has arrived :Initial ownership & review

We were using Alto Lxi for the past 5 years and seriously thought of replacing the car few months back. Sine my alto was running without any problems I thought, initially to wait till the launch of 2011 Fiesta to take a decision. But who knows when they will launch it ? Also my Alto is an outside state vehicle and I need to register the vehicle to current location for selling/Exchaning . So I thought I will go for a new one and peacefully transfer my old one. So the search for new one has started. I had test driven almost all the hatches during the last one year except Micra and Polo/1.6. Micra has no dealer in Goa and Polo 1.6 is not available for test drive. So with the help of excellent reviews by Team Bhp the task was pretty easy and what I need was to focus on my requirements and budget and a final round of test drives.

My requirements : Hatch back, Safety, handling, suspension(MUST), looks, adequate power, decent FE and delivery before Dussera.
Budget :6.5 L can stretch to 7+ if not satisfied with what is available below 6.5L.

Cars Considered : GP 1.3 MJD E, GP 1.4 E/EP, i20, Figo TDCi Titanium, Polo Highline Petrol, Jazz S MT(discounted)

Selection : GP was my natural choice and the final test drives reinforced my choice. Punto was a clear winner according to priorities followed by Figo and Polo. But my wife had felt that the head room was less in Punto and keen on a car with more head room and space. So our next target was Figo and on the way to Ford showroom we just dropped in to Skoda showroom to have a look at the Fabia.(Just for curiosity since I was not keen for it after reading reviews about it). The sales person had arranged a test drive and I was very much impressed with the handling , build quality and roominess of the car and more than that(or equally) the precision in making the interiors. My wife was in favor of Fabia Elegance I made my mind to take a risk. Booked the Fabia . But after a one and half week of waiting for the quotation for loan process I realized that I need to consider other options considering 4-5 days for loan approval. Also I was almost sure that many of the features that is available in current Fabia will not be available in the new Fabia. So had a final round of detailed inspection of three cars Figo, Polo 1.2 , Punto and i20 . With little bit of confusion caused by 1.4 TDCI finally decided to go for Punto 1.4 Emotion and booked the Red colour at Auto Industries Goa . For my current use and the loan amount it will take 5 years for Diesel to make a considerable effect on my pocket. So 1.4 Petrol was justified even though I feel diesel is more fun to drive. The Loan has been taken from SBI and it was a very easy procedure.

Offers and Total cost : Free insurance, 4 year extended warranty and road side assistance at a cost of 3000 . Corporate offer of 9000. Antirust coating for 3 year warranty. I did the registration since Tata motors will take extra 3000 for it. I paid 1150 for two years extra warranty for antirust coating and 3500 for paint protection (3M) . So total cost was 5.76L. Dealer was refused to give any other accessories like Mudflaps, floor mats , perfume etc. So I was ready to pay for it.

Delivery : Received the car on 16th October. The car was clean. The engine was little bit noisy(out side) while idling. Rear right door was not closing properly since the rubber covering was coming out (A problem that I have noticed in some other Puntos in showroom)I was aware that this car can give small problems that can be fixed without much trouble. The floor mates were not there since it was not in the stocks. They some how adjusted with a cheapest mudguards. I really felt bad about Tata motors and sympathetic about Fiat . A car made with passion in non passionate people’s hand. It was a rainy day and I was given some papers, FREE OF COST, by the dealer to protect my carpet. Thanks for Tata Motors!!!. Will it happen with Land Rover or Jaguar customers?

First impression : Even though engine was noisy while idling it was very smooth while running. The road immediately outside the showroom was in bad condition and Punto was happy to get a chance to show it’s capabilities. I looked at my wife’s face and she was happy. Till we reach our home we felt that we are passing through the finest roads that we were ever traveled. Thanks for Punto !
Old 28th October 2010, 18:18   #2
Senior - BHPian

Congartulations.
I have "almost" exactly the same car.
Red Emotion Punto but MJD
Welcome to the club.

And where are the pics?
Its a criminal mistake not to post pictures in ownership threads.
Old 28th October 2010, 19:29   #3
BHPian

Congrats. Welcome to the punters group. So is it E or EP?
Old 28th October 2010, 19:32   #4
BANNED

Congrats on the Punto! Welcome to the world of Fiatism and you now have the right Fiattitude!

Asdon, pri2, me all had an Alto before migrating to a Fiat!
Old 28th October 2010, 19:32   #5
BHPian

Congrats vsk2009, Excellent choice.
I too own a Punto (Mjd) and I am totally in love with it.
Old 28th October 2010, 20:16   #6
BHPian

Congrats on the Punto and welcome to the ever growing Punto club on T-BHP. I think for the price your car in Goa , in Bangalore we would only get the 1.2 Emotion :(
Old 28th October 2010, 21:52   #7
Senior - BHPian

Congrats

Congrats VSK. Welcome to Fiat's world. Exotica Red is a very beautiful color.
Booking and buying experience is always fun to read.
Waiting for more updates and enjoy your beauty.
Do add cream to the cake by adding some pics.
Old 28th October 2010, 22:22   #8
BHPian

Thanks all. Here is some photos.
Attached Thumbnails
My  Grande Punto 1.4 Emotion in Red has arrived :Initial ownership & review-dsc01473.jpg  

My  Grande Punto 1.4 Emotion in Red has arrived :Initial ownership & review-dsc01475.jpg  

My  Grande Punto 1.4 Emotion in Red has arrived :Initial ownership & review-dsc01478.jpg  

My  Grande Punto 1.4 Emotion in Red has arrived :Initial ownership & review-dsc01488.jpg  

My  Grande Punto 1.4 Emotion in Red has arrived :Initial ownership & review-dsc01490.jpg  

Old 28th October 2010, 23:02   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
Congrats on the Punto and welcome to the ever growing Punto club on T-BHP. I think for the price your car in Goa , in Bangalore we would only get the 1.2 Emotion :(
Thanks. On road price is very low in Goa. i20 Asta-6.35L, Polo 1.2 Highline(P)-6.33L, Jazz SMT(discounted)-7.34L, Figo 1.4Tdci Titanium- 5.8L.
Old 28th October 2010, 23:03   #10
BHPian

Wow.. She looks stunning in RED! Punto is one of the rare cars out there where all available colors look good on her.
Old 28th October 2010, 23:27   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on the Red Hot Punto. Get dark tints and a nice set of alloys for the beauty.

Do enjoy many more happy miles with the red hot hatch.
Old 29th October 2010, 08:38   #12
BHPian

Congrats VSK2009 and welcome to the Grande Punto club. Migrating from an Alto, the Punto is sure to blow you away with her capabilities. Enjoy your drive
Old 29th October 2010, 09:24   #13
BHPian

Congrats VSK2009, and welcome to the Punto Club. I did the same Alto to Punto upgrade on 1st October and everyday the car gives me a surprise hope to see similar stories. But little upset that the dealer did not give you any free item, and why 3000 extra for RSA? that is comming free with all Puntos!!!
Old 29th October 2010, 12:17   #14
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to FIAT family. The car is looking hottttttttt... A nice set of alloys will make it a complete drool material
Old 29th October 2010, 16:15   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
Congrats VSK2009, and welcome to the Punto Club. I did the same Alto to Punto upgrade on 1st October and everyday the car gives me a surprise hope to see similar stories. But little upset that the dealer did not give you any free item, and why 3000 extra for RSA? that is comming free with all Puntos!!!
Thanks! Car is really marvelous. First of all it has a very distinct character and very unique styling. I simply enjoy every moment inside the car. While driving get a feel that it has some life. The dashboard is very attractive and driver centric. No doubt it is a car for any one who has a passion for cars. 3k extra was part of the scheme which was not there in September and also there was a 5K cash discount on petrol in September. So I lost 9K because of my delayed decision.

Last edited by vsk2009 : 29th October 2010 at 16:16.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks