Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2014, 22:26   #196
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ownership report : Chevrolet Optra Magnum LT 2.0 TCDI

Unless, you ride the brakes all of the time, no. The service centre is fleecing you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeo View Post
I get my 6.5 old Optra Magnum D serviced at Orange Auto, Hyd. From past 2 yrs I am charged for brakes O\H in every service. Do we need to get Brakes overhaul every 5k kms?
Old 29th April 2014, 22:47   #197
BHPian

Ownership report : Chevrolet Optra Magnum LT 2.0 TCDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_or_die View Post
I have been driving Optra for 3.5 years and completed 45K KMs. So far the experience has been satisfying

Now, the car has entered a phase where I need to plan for 2 major expenses:

1. Tyre replacement

2. Timing belt replacement at 60K KMs

Tyre replacement- I ran stock apollo tyres so far. Wanted to change to Bridgestone/Michelin 3.5 years ago but the exchange price of INR 250 per stock tyre was too low to convince me for tyre upgrade. But now I have another opportunity, so I visited Tyre Plus (Whitefield) to enquire about the options. I took my notes and shortlisted Michelin Primacy (195 60 R15- stock size), Michelin Primacy (205 55/50 R 15) or Pirelli (215 55 R15).

My optra magnum ran on Yokohama s drives (205/55/15) for almost 30k km before I changed back to stock sized c drives. Though the s drives felt good initially due to increased width, but towards midlife I began to get a feeling of lack of grip when driving continuously at triple digit speeds. My current experience with c drives of stock size is kind of ok. And by the way 60 k major service will cost around INR 30k, just incase if you dint know. Michelins are supposed to be softer ones and may wear faster if you do lot of high speed highway drives. I had michelins on my alto from tyre empire, whitefield and they were offering the best price on michelins at that time. Just check out their prices too, if you have not
done already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ555 View Post
is this thread active?
need to know timing belt, V belt replacement schedule for optra magnum
ASS recommends @ 35k kms, is this true? please share experiences

ASS and manual recommends 60k km

Last edited by shinuak : 29th April 2014 at 22:49.
Old 25th April 2015, 13:35   #198
BHPian

This year my Optra Magnum 2.0 completes 5 years and 64k. Optra needed a major servicing at 60k and I had to foot the bill of INR 52k. 15k for tyres, 11k for headlamp replacement as it had broken in a minor incident. 26k for water pump replacement, engine oil replacement & etc.
Old 2nd June 2015, 08:46   #199
BHPian

Car A/C stopped cooling last week and I took the car for check up at Aarav Chevrolet, Delhi. I was told that the engineer needs to check for the cause and the total time required complete diagnosis and recommended correction is 2-3 days. But I was not in a position to leave the car at A**for that long. So, I took the car to a service center on PUSA Road. The service guy took 15 mins to tell me that the sensor in the compressor has conked off. The procedure was to take out the refrigerant, replace the sensor and re-fill the gas (refrigerant). Total Cost- INR 3100 (1500 for gas, 1150 for sensor and 450 labor). A/C fully functional and effective

A** would have certainly replaced the compressor- costing me 20-22k in total
drive_or_die is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2015, 10:06   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_or_die View Post
Car A/C stopped cooling last week and I took the car for check up at Aarav Chevrolet, Delhi. I was told that the engineer needs to check for the cause and the total time required complete diagnosis and recommended correction is 2-3 days. But I was not in a position to leave the car at A**for that long. So, I took the car to a service center on PUSA Road. The service guy took 15 mins to tell me that the sensor in the compressor has conked off. The procedure was to take out the refrigerant, replace the sensor and re-fill the gas (refrigerant). Total Cost- INR 3100 (1500 for gas, 1150 for sensor and 450 labor). A/C fully functional and effective

A** would have certainly replaced the compressor- costing me 20-22k in total

Just happened with me , i had to take my car to Orange Auto 4 times to get it repaired. First time they changed sensor and even after paying it did not fix. I had to write to Chevy and multiple followups to get it fixed.
Old 18th December 2015, 22:47   #201
BHPian

Hello guys !! I am too a proud owner of the beast (my dad is the one of course ). Ours has done about 1,10000 kms as of now( in 3.5 years). It's shod with stock size Yoko C drives. The car is running fine*touchwood* till now only with occasional minor niggles . The FE I get is 15- 16 kmpl with mixed highway + city drives. Around 1,50,000 kms ,I am planning to change the tyres to 215/55 r 15. What are the options in that size? I am using warm tyre pressure of 32 psi all around. I have been thinking of increasing it to 34 psi. Is it okay or will it make the tyres overinflated ?
Sometime back ,I noticed that the no change occurs when I use the headlamp levelling switch. The beam seems to be out of focus. Local service personnel mentioned about faulty motor. Can anyone shed some light on it?
Is there teambhp official review of optra magnum 2.0?

Last edited by printh : 18th December 2015 at 22:49.
Old 1st March 2016, 08:40   #202
BANNED

Hello All -

The battery on Optra Magnum Diesel 2011 has died. I'm currently not based in India.

I would be really thankful if any Optra D owner may suggest the perfect replacement in terms of technical specs and the brand to go for.

Thanks Much.
Torquedo
Old 21st August 2016, 13:07   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
Hello All -

The battery on Optra Magnum Diesel 2011 has died. I'm currently not based in India.

I would be really thankful if any Optra D owner may suggest the perfect replacement in terms of technical specs and the brand to go for.

Thanks Much.
Torquedo
Amaron battery lasts longer, go for 80 or 90 ah battery for more juice
Old 21st August 2016, 13:14   #204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by printh View Post
Hello guys !! I am too a proud owner of the beast (my dad is the one of course ). Ours has done about 1,10000 kms as of now( in 3.5 years). It's shod with stock size Yoko C drives. The car is running fine*touchwood* till now only with occasional minor niggles . The FE I get is 15- 16 kmpl with mixed highway + city drives. Around 1,50,000 kms ,I am planning to change the tyres to 215/55 r 15. What are the options in that size? I am using warm tyre pressure of 32 psi all around. I have been thinking of increasing it to 34 psi. Is it okay or will it make the tyres overinflated ?
Sometime back ,I noticed that the no change occurs when I use the headlamp levelling switch. The beam seems to be out of focus. Local service personnel mentioned about faulty motor. Can anyone shed some light on it?
Is there teambhp official review of optra magnum 2.0?
205/55/15 is the right up-size, in215/55 you may not have options to freeze
getting the motor issue rectified may ease out headlamp leveling issue
Old 12th October 2016, 20:57   #205

I own a 2013 Chevy Optra Magnum 2.0 Diesel, which has done about 63k kms, and due for timing belt replacement. Authorized service center has quoted about 25k. A quick search says the same belt is available online at 1.5k. Can someone help me understand why there is so much difference?
Old 12th October 2016, 22:07   #206
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjmads View Post
Authorized service center has quoted about 25k. A quick search says the same belt is available online at 1.5k. Can someone help me understand why there is so much difference?
Though I'm not very sure, I hope A.S.S quote for timing belt kit which includes the belt & tensioners as well.
Old 8th January 2017, 23:12   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjmads View Post
I own a 2013 Chevy Optra Magnum 2.0 Diesel, which has done about 63k kms, and due for timing belt replacement. Authorized service center has quoted about 25k. A quick search says the same belt is available online at 1.5k. Can someone help me understand why there is so much difference?
Especially for optra, its ideal to stick with ASS, for my optra d, the ASS quoted 18 k with labor and 6 months warranty,
Old 9th January 2017, 08:32   #208
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi, 1.5k sounds much too low for the belt. For my Cruze, the parts (kit) was around 18k.
Old 17th May 2019, 00:28   #209
bkc
BHPian

hi,
After selling my Magnum, it's really tough to find an alternative. How about another magnum??

The new car prices have shot so much that, I am okay with lot of depreciation in 4yrs.

What price can a 2008 August 2.0tcdi LT model, single owner with genuine 50k reading command in Bangalore?
Please let me know ASAP experts.
Old 1st August 2023, 06:59   #210
BHPian

Hey Everyone

Can anyone advise how the ASS deals with Optra/Magnums today since Chevrolet's exit from India?

Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks