Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2011, 12:00   #46
BANNED

Re: Ownership report : Chevrolet Optra Magnum LT 2.0 TCDI

Hey drive to die, first of all your car is very good and the review is very crisp and nice too. I wanted to ask you a few questions.
Just a couple days back, i saw an advertisement in the newspaper about the new optra magnum (diesel and petrol) which offered new features like abs, airbags, sunroof, automatic climate control and leather upholstery.
As per i recall, the sunroof wasn't available on the diesel variants, but now is it equipped with it? Also, did you get airbags and abs in your car since your call is the top model?
GM is offering new alloy wheels too, which look stunning.

Last edited by DMehta : 27th February 2011 at 12:01.
Old 27th February 2011, 23:05   #47
BHPian

@DMehta- Yes, Magnum LT is top end. My car did not come with Sunroof but yes it is equipped with ABS & 2 Airbags.

The petrol LT has Sunroof, not sure if GM is offering with diesel too now.

On Alloys part, even the Chevrolet India portal shows some neat alloys but with an asterik saying the equipments shown may not be part of standard vehicle.

One of my friend received his Magnum LT diesel on Feb 17, 2011 and another is getting in couple of days. The Diesel LT is pretty much same, I so wish GM gives us sporty looking alloys

Anyways, buy Magnum for the engine as rest of items can be upgraded. Moreover, Magnum gives very plush interiors too, sans ICE.

Happy Motoring!
Drive_or_Die
Old 23rd March 2011, 16:36   #48
BHPian

Last week called up the Chevy dealer at Coimbatore about availability of Optra for test drive and he asked me when can he bring the car for test drive. I was impressed since I stay at Coonoor( Close to Ooty) 80 kms from the dealer. Thats called a positive attitude! The car that was brought for test drive was LT model in grey colour(same as Drive or Die's car). Took the car for a spin on some steep slopes and came back impressed with the ride and engine performance. Wife was also happy with the rear seat comfort as well as the drive. Kids also liked the comfort.
Planning to book the car towards April end.
One interesting piece of info I came across while researching the Optra. The same model is sold in Philippines but with steering mounted audio controls.
Old 23rd March 2011, 17:37   #49
BANNED

@ Highflyer - I did not see the Optra on GM website for PH, they have the Aveo and even the Camaro but not the Optra.

Another thing that I wanted to point out is:

I heard this, might be a rumor, but GM is planning to shelf the Aveo,Optra and the U-VA.

Request you to confirm this at your end before you go ahead and book the car.

The car though is AWESOME, no second thoughts here, with talks about New Verna RB doing rounds on the forum, but I still think there is nothing close to the Optra.
Old 23rd March 2011, 22:53   #50
BHPian

Sorry for the error Torquedo. Its actually Indonesia. Pl look here.
Chevrolet Optra Magnum.

Thanks for the input about shelving of Optra. I request other BHPians to give input in this regard.

If GM doesn't do anything by April then I am going ahead with Optra.
Old 24th March 2011, 08:30   #51
BANNED

These are 2 different cars Highflyer, the one in Indonesia is the petrol variant and I assume the one that you are looking for here in India is the Diesel.

I don't see the Optra Diesel being sold anywhere round the globe.
Old 24th March 2011, 10:15   #52
BHPian

Thats right Torquedo. The model sold in Indonesia is a petrol. But nothing stops Chevrolet from giving such basics in a diesel model also. Only thing that seems to be preventing them from doing that, is part sharing, which they seem to have taken too far.UVA also has same steering wheel.
USB capable ICE, Steering mounted audio controls,ESP,EBD are few things common
in this segment now.
What ever said and done Optra is still a terrific car. Hope that GM announces something by April end so that my decision making becomes easier.
Old 24th March 2011, 10:42   #53
BHPian

For the cost they are charging for top end Magnum (11.2L on road @ Hyderabad on which they give 20-30k cash discount = 10.7L on road) I do not think they can afford to give a sun roof or any other goodies. The LT model as it is comes with excellent leather seats though the ICE is not good looking at all.

It is an awesome engine costing much less than a top end Vento (if you add cost of leather seats to Vento) and the interior is very spacious.

Resale price and a suspect A-S-S are probably the only reasons why this rocket does not sell good volumes.
Old 24th March 2011, 12:44   #54
BHPian

A few value additions to Optra as stated in my previous quote would make it more competitive.
Probably ESP and EBD would add to the cost of manufacturing but I doubt that USB port and steering mounted controls would add more than few hundred bucks.
In this age and day of competition these goodies can provide that extra every customer wants. Doesn't Ford Figo prove that.
Look at the Beat cockpit here.Chevrolet Beat Interior Accessories and Features Gallery.
If Beat can have a futuristic design then why not in Optra. Why not share parts with Beat rather than U-VA.
Old 24th March 2011, 14:00   #55
BHPian

My comment was more towards the heavy duty add ons like sun roof. They can completely revamp the dash and yes, Beat looks awesome. The music system in Magnum is a total let down and so is the climatronic AC design. While the existing Magnum is value for money, agree with you, highflyer, that adding basics like USB support, steering mounted controls and making the interiors look more futuristic without adding too much to the cost will surely help the sales of Magnum.

Infact I said the same thing to the Sales guy @ Orange Chevy when I test drove Magnum last week. If I decide to buy the Magnum, first thing I would do is change the music system.
Old 24th March 2011, 16:11   #56
BHPian

A hefty price cut sometime back was an effort to increase the sales.
But the sales have remained static. An upgrade of Optra could do the trick.
Since engine and ride is already top notch, they only need to do up the cabin with features already common in this segment.
NoRules any idea, if upgrading the speakers of Optra would the job?
Somebody told me, that there is an add-on for Aux port for connecting a USB also.
Old 29th March 2011, 21:16   #57
BHPian

Wanted to see white diamond Optra but the dealer doesn't have it.
Tried Chevrolet website, but on the website all the colours look artificial and unreal.
A good example is Sanddrift Grey.
The pictures loaded by Sorabh give a good idea of this colour.
Can anyone give me a link where I can see pictures of White diamond, Linen Beige and Olympic white.

Thanx in advance.
Old 30th March 2011, 09:07   #58
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highflyer View Post
Wanted to see white diamond Optra but the dealer doesn't have it.
Tried Chevrolet website, but on the website all the colours look artificial and unreal.
A good example is Sanddrift Grey.
The pictures loaded by Sorabh give a good idea of this colour.
Can anyone give me a link where I can see pictures of White diamond, Linen Beige and Olympic white.

Thanx in advance.
Highflyer - HTH, we have everything on T-BHP.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...km-review.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ra-magnum.html

Happy Motoring !!
Old 30th March 2011, 15:46   #59
BHPian

Thanks Torquedo for the links. But the colours are Olympic white only in the links .
Any links for White diamond and Linen Beige?
Old 31st March 2011, 00:34   #60
BHPian

hi, you can check my garage for sparkling diamond magnum.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks