Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2011, 11:07   #91
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)
Re: Ownership report : Chevrolet Optra Magnum LT 2.0 TCDI

what do you guys think of this new deal on the Optra Magnum Diesel 2 litre fully loaded with ABS, Airbags, Alloys etc etc at 8.56 + taxes and insurance in Bangalore?

Its a bomb of a car in my opinion but since it appears to be at the end of its product lifecycle it seems to me that they are trying to bring down inventory by offering very good deals.
Old 15th April 2011, 11:29   #92
BHPian

Shankar Balan can you give the tele no of the dealer.
Even if its going to be phased out in an year or so I think its a terrific deal.
All cars go out at some point or other.
Example - Old Honda City, Ikon and many more.
Old 15th April 2011, 11:42   #93
BANNED

I was actually looking forward to buying an Optra, but a few undisclosed changes are holding me back, few being:

1) Latest brochure states changes in the torque and power figures, my take might be due to BS 4 implementation.

2) Sorabh told me that the fuel tank has been resized from 60L to 40-45L odd.

3) A change in the way VIN's are now being rolled out.

All these leave me wondering, what else might be in store that has not been disclosed.

But again it's a phenomenal bang for your buck !
Old 15th April 2011, 12:02   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
what do you guys think of this new deal on the Optra Magnum Diesel 2 litre fully loaded with ABS, Airbags, Alloys etc etc at 8.56 + taxes and insurance in Bangalore?

Its a bomb of a car in my opinion but since it appears to be at the end of its product lifecycle it seems to me that they are trying to bring down inventory by offering very good deals.
I guess you are going as per the advertisement. What they (and most manufacturers) do is to put up the features of the higher models and the price of the lower/lowest one with a few stars thrown in!

They had a similar on in Delhi, where they even talked about a sunroof etc (which is only available on the diesel model) and mentioned prices of the lower/lowest models in both petrol and diesel. The showroom guys termed it as a "marketing strategy". Felt a bit cheated to start with, but then that is what had led me to enquire and TD the Optra to start with and let to many deliberations ( discussed here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans...continued.html )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
I was actually looking forward to buying an Optra, but a few undisclosed changes are holding me back, few being:

1) Latest brochure states changes in the torque and power figures, my take might be due to BS 4 implementation.

I think I read about this in one of the posts on the forum. The difference in figures seemed minor enough to not make a significant difference.

2) Sorabh told me that the fuel tank has been resized from 60L to 40-45L odd.

That is bad news. It was amongst the smaller but significant pull factors towards this car.

3) A change in the way VIN's are now being rolled out.

I have no idea what that could suggest. Could you please elaborate.

All these leave me wondering, what else might be in store that has not been disclosed.

But again it's a phenomenal bang for your buck !
Old 15th April 2011, 12:07   #95
Senior - BHPian

Chevy's website still says 9.5lacs for the LT, ex-showroom.
Old 15th April 2011, 12:26   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAV1 View Post
Finally ! Got a confirmation on my Optra Magnum on Friday and completed PDI today. Needless to mention, the posts from were very useful. Looking forward to joining the Chevy family in a couple of days. Thanks to all BHPian's who provided info on, well, everything ! the "before" pictures are below ("after" pics will be posted post delivery and some minor changes)

@drive_or_die I did talk to Ayub and Prasanna in Kropex, response was very prompt from GM & the dealer after I sent them an e-mail, thanks for the info !

@roadwarrior I would be glad to provide inputs based on my experience, i'm from Bangalore, Whitefield area.
Congrats. The colour looks fabulous. The Magnum is an awesome car in that price range.

Are those OEM alloys? I see the Chevy emblem on the center of the alloys is missing.
Old 15th April 2011, 12:49   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
Many congrats, RAV1 on your new Magnum. Drive the beast safely. What are the goodies yuo got with the car? What was the final price you paid? Did you opt for the GM insurance or go for an outside insurance?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Congrats RAV1 on the Optra.

It indeed is a stonker of a car. I agree that the alloys look quite insipid and along with its change, recommend a better rubber to enjoy its full potential.

Btw, what was the landing price and discounts offered?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Congrats RAV1. Wishing you many happy miles ahead.

Any thoughts and experiences you may want to share on the purchase and negotiation phase would be very much welcome.
Thanks @NoRules, @mobike008 & @Poitive - I will be posting an initial ownership review in a few days with all the details :-) Stay Tuned !
Old 15th April 2011, 12:53   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
Congrats. The colour looks fabulous. The
Magnum is an awesome car in that price range.
Thanks @fuel_addict, the Optra is the definitely one of the best VFM cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
Are those OEM alloys? I see the Chevy emblem on the center of the alloys is missing.
Yes, they are OEM alloys - the Chevy emblem was added before delivery, these pics were taken during PDI (BTW, the spare alloy does not have the emblem)
Old 15th April 2011, 12:54   #99
BANNED

Please read my posts on the folowing thread for the VIN Related issues.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...ure-vin-4.html

Happy Motoring !!
Old 16th April 2011, 12:34   #100
BHPian

It seems I need to catch up little more on our portal.

@RAV1 CONGRATS & welcome to family
Old 16th May 2011, 19:18   #101
BHPian

Congratulations on your purchase mate.
Would be glad to meet up and share views. I could be reached at iam.mad.who@gmail.com

Will look forward to hearing form you.

@Saurabh: I understand it is a part of the forum rules...i could be reached at iam.mad.who@gmail.com

Thank you again.

Cheers,
Maddy
Old 3rd June 2011, 00:50   #102
BHPian

Hey man good choice, I've a small question for you at this moment. Given a choice right now which one will you prefer New Verna, VW Vento, New Fiesta or Optra Magnum I think all fall in the same price range. Please QUOTE me whenever you get a chance.
Old 3rd June 2011, 09:19   #103
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejinair View Post
Hey man good choice, I've a small question for you at this moment. Given a choice right now which one will you prefer New Verna, VW Vento, New Fiesta or Optra Magnum I think all fall in the same price range. Please QUOTE me whenever you get a chance.
My take, good first followed by the bad part (colon separated), for each of the above mentioned:

1) New Verna: Looks, Gadgets, Resale: Ride and Handling.
2) Vento: Build Quality, Minimum Turbo Lag (good for In -City driving), mileage: Not a highway star, not loaded with gadgets.
3) ANFF(Fiesta): Ride, Handling (no one has driven, but Ford's have been known for this and my 2 cents from driving a Figo): Performance, Resale, A$$.
4) Optra: Performance, Performance & Performance, Interior Space: Resale, Chevy A$$.

My final word: if it has to be performance that you are looking for and plan to keep the car for 5-7 odd years, Optra is the best bet, looking at the price that it is being offered at this point in time.

Happy Motoring !!
Old 3rd June 2011, 10:32   #104
BHPian

@ Shankar Balan: I purchased a Optra Magnum 2.0 Tcdi LT at Chennai this March. On road cost post discount was 10.3 Lakhs. This is with Alloys, ABS, Airbags, 6 CD changer (Clarion), Leather interiors. They throwed in Sun film and reverse parking sensors as freebies. Considering this, i think this is still a steal. When i did my checks, i understand that Chevy does not have any plans to stop the Optra. My take is they have cut the price to undercut the Cruze, which would otherwise bring two products at the same price point.

With regard to the fuel tank resize, I can assure you that my vehicle's fuel tank capabity is defnitely more than 45 litres. I understand it is around 60 litres. I also checked my Manual when Torquedo mentioned about a change in power, but i still see the same retained.
Old 3rd June 2011, 10:34   #105
BHPian

@ Ravi: Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the Optra family. I envy you for the colour as this was my first preference. Instead, i got a black

Most Viewed