Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2011, 17:21   #16
BHPian

Re: New Honda Accord AT With Elegance Kit

I also noticed that the car has a tendency to fly on some undulations making it really uncomfortable for the driver's confidence and the rear passengers are flying in the air.

The A/C was quiet good. I did not check out the Music System but I think it felt quiet adequate.

I also have to advise people to stay away from this car if you think you will have a comfortable ride as it is quiet bumpy. The car feels comfortable if driven at around 40-60 kmph.

I also noticed that the Active Headrests are a huge pain in the head or neck as the car I was driving had the Restraints in the Accident Position and they never retracted back and there was no way to adjust them. :(

So if anyone has anything to add or to contradict please quote me so I will be able to know if someone has written something here.

I will finally have to advise people not to buy the Accord and maybe look at some other alternative if available.
Old 4th July 2011, 11:25   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercars View Post
I would like to put my review of the Honda Accord here if you would not mind.

I drove a Manual Transmission Accord.

The car is very noisy and it accelerates quiet slowly. The acceleration is better once you have garnered some speed though. I think the in-cabin Noise is just too high. I did not expect this from Accord.

btw what do you mean by Brake Pedal & Steering Shaking at 130 and and above ?

The Rest of the Review in the next post.
I have not driven the Manual Accord but am pretty happy with the acceleration and the Push I get in the seat when ever accelerated hard. There is absolutely no cabin noise or road nice that I have noticed, the car has crossed 8500 kms now.

Quote:
I also noticed that the car has a tendency to fly on some undulations making it really uncomfortable for the driver's confidence and the rear passengers are flying in the air.

The A/C was quiet good. I did not check out the Music System but I think it felt quiet adequate.

I also have to advise people to stay away from this car if you think you will have a comfortable ride as it is quiet bumpy. The car feels comfortable if driven at around 40-60 kmph.

I also noticed that the Active Headrests are a huge pain in the head or neck as the car I was driving had the Restraints in the Accident Position and they never retracted back and there was no way to adjust them. :(

So if anyone has anything to add or to contradict please quote me so I will be able to know if someone has written something here.

I will finally have to advise people not to buy the Accord and maybe look at some other alternative if available.
I did not understand the flying bit but if you mean that the steering feels light at high speeds, then I would agree with you but Accord is not known for its handling and curves above hundred are handled better on my swift. But on our highways the potholes are dispatched without a fuss and straight line speeds of 120+ take no time to reach with super stopping capabilities of the car.

As you mentioned the car you drove was an accident piece which has not been fixed adequately maybe resulting in your bad experience.

There is no contradiction to your post, you drove a car, you found cons as suited to your liking and you have an opinion. Not all cars are to be liked by everyone rite.

UPDATE:-

The car has crossed 8500 kms and returning an average of 7 in city and 8 to 9 on highways (always driven hard and not for efficiency). Had a broken windshield due to a stray coconut which was replaced by the A.S.S without any cost to me not even one rupee paid under insurance no other damage done.

I am loving the car in its stock form and have no plans of any mods. I am planning to buy a new steering wheel from USA which has cruise control and Audio controls on them and have heard that the Indian Accord come wired for Audio interface but not the cruise control.
Old 21st July 2011, 03:56   #18
BHPian

The Accord I drove did not even have 1000 kms. on it and I am sure it was not involved in some heavy accident as it was looking ok from outside. I think the problem might have been that before I drove the car someone might have driven it in a way that the car expected a heavy crash and went into Crash Mode but since the car did not crash, it never came out of it. :(

I advise you to take it easy in the potholes as they can damage any vehicle. :(
Old 21st July 2011, 07:39   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercars
someone might have driven it in a way that the car expected a heavy crash and went into Crash Mode but since the car did not crash, it never came out of it.
(
What does going into Crash Mode mean? Sorry if this question is silly but not really heard of this. Do lower end cars like Civic or City also have this? Can anyone please explain this in detail?

Thanks in advance.
Old 21st July 2011, 10:43   #20
BHPian

Quote:
The Accord I drove did not even have 1000 kms. on it and I am sure it was not involved in some heavy accident as it was looking ok from outside. I think the problem might have been that before I drove the car someone might have driven it in a way that the car expected a heavy crash and went into Crash Mode but since the car did not crash, it never came out of it. :(

I advise you to take it easy in the potholes as they can damage any vehicle. :(
Companies are known to tamper the odometer especially on a test drive vehicle (assuming a test drive vehicle). Also I am not aware of crash mode, I am under the impression that Active headrest get activated the same way as SRS airbags on impact. The looks can always be deceiving, I suggest you take a test drive of another fit vehicle to get the real feel of the car. One thing I can vouch for is the butter smooth, super silent and rev happy engine of Accord. Space and Engine are the only strong points of Accord.

Wikipedia:

An active head rest is one that moves forward in the event of a collision It moves forward to close the gap between your head and the head rest to prevent whiplash.
Old 28th July 2011, 08:01   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmaan View Post
Companies are known to tamper the odometer especially on a test drive vehicle (assuming a test drive vehicle). Also I am not aware of crash mode, I am under the impression that Active headrest get activated the same way as SRS airbags on impact. The looks can always be deceiving, I suggest you take a test drive of another fit vehicle to get the real feel of the car. One thing I can vouch for is the butter smooth, super silent and rev happy engine of Accord. Space and Engine are the only strong points of Accord.

Wikipedia:

An active head rest is one that moves forward in the event of a collision It moves forward to close the gap between your head and the head rest to prevent whiplash.
I can tell a new car when I see one.

I do not think that they had tampered with the vehicle in any way and if the vehicle was not performing the way it should have been, the guys from the showroom would have advised me to come and take a Test Drive of another car.

The Engine is rev happy but it is also very loud. :(
Old 28th July 2011, 09:59   #22
BHPian

Quote:
I can tell a new car when I see one.

I do not think that they had tampered with the vehicle in any way and if the vehicle was not performing the way it should have been, the guys from the showroom would have advised me to come and take a Test Drive of another car.

The Engine is rev happy but it is also very loud. :(
The show rooms in India are pretty capable of giving you a car owned by some one else for test drive forget a car having issues. There are many topics describing the same. The fact that active headrests were deployed means the car had trouble either a manufacturing defect or be it something else.

Anyways I suggest you start a new thread about your opinion or rather a poll .

I am pretty sure you will get your notion cleared.
Old 28th July 2011, 15:40   #23
BHPian

@supercars: I own an Accord too and I don't find the car loud at all! It has a very powerful and refined engine which loves to rev. The car is also quite fast and nothing like you have described in your posts.

Maybe you just drove a lemon and there could have been some things wrong with the vehicle so you should give this car a second try. It is one of the most comfortable car around (even more comfortable than the entry level Germans).

If you have any specific questions or concerns regarding the car then you can open a new thread where we'll try to help you make a decision.

@tazman: How is your car doing? Did you get the steering wheel yet?
I am surprised to know the new generation doesn't have audio controls on the steering wheel in the Indian model. Have they added it now?
Old 29th July 2011, 14:18   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goingout View Post

@tazman: How is your car doing? Did you get the steering wheel yet?
I am surprised to know the new generation doesn't have audio controls on the steering wheel in the Indian model. Have they added it now?
No I have not got the steering wheel yet, it has been very busy for me but one day I will get it done. Yes even the new face lift version doesn't have the steering mounted controls, they all have controls on rear arm rest. I do miss the sunroof and the steering mounted controls no other gadgets are missed.

The car is performing great otherwise, specially under current condition of roads. The soft suspension does it duty well to insulate the occupants from the craters on Mumbai roads. No other malfunctions and the car is trouble free, I am in love with the paddle shifts they are just awesome and responsive.
Old 21st August 2011, 14:19   #25
BHPian

Got rear ended by a tourist vehicle. The car in front braked ( my innova) I stopped good 5 feet short and got hit from behind after 10 second by this idiot. Was with family no point fighting took his insurance papers and left. The accord took the hit well but tavera didn't, it broke down. Just a bad days will give to honda once I get back.
Attached Thumbnails
New Honda Accord AT With Elegance Kit-accord20power...1.jpg  

New Honda Accord AT With Elegance Kit-unfortunate.jpg  

Old 21st August 2011, 14:32   #26
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear about the accident. Looks like the car took the hit well. From the pics, it looks like only the bumpers have been damaged and the boot remains intact. Hope everyone in the car are safe. Keep us updated.
Old 21st August 2011, 14:48   #27
BHPian

The tavera is equally well damaged. looks like the tavera bonnet, fender and bumper needs to be repaired. But I still feel very sorry for your car alone.
Old 21st August 2011, 15:03   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narchennai View Post
The tavera is equally well damaged. looks like the tavera bonnet, fender and bumper needs to be repaired. But I still feel very sorry for your car alone.
Yes the car refused to start in case of tavera, the hit was very hard I moderated the brakes to minimize the damage. There is damage under the trunk though minor but will need to be repaired. I guess its part of owning a car and things happen. Everyone in the car are unhurt, there were 8 people in tavera who seemed shaken up.
Old 21st August 2011, 15:38   #29
BHPian

Sorry to hear about your mishap! At least no one got hurt and the repair shouldn't be too expensive.

Something very similar happened to my Accord just two weeks back. Got rear ended by an accelerating bike (after a green light, traffic moved but some idiots from the right lane still tried to carry on after their light turned red. I had to brake hard to avoid the car in front but got hit by this bike about 2-3 seconds after I stopped).

I was hardly doing 20 so not a big deal but the bike guy was accelerating when he hit the rear. He fell off but his helmet which was not strapped came flying and hit the boot. Got a dent there and the bumper folded in just like your car's!

Since I was in a hurry and that guy was properly shaken I did not create any scene and just asked the guy if he was ok. He looked scared and requested me to carry on and said he was fine. Maybe he thought I was going to slap him or something like everyone else does in this city .

Anyways, from now on I keep my rear fog light on at all times. Whatever extra visibility you can have is good in this country. It was a pretty stupid crash as that guy did not pay any attention to what was happening on the road.
Old 22nd August 2011, 10:48   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goingout View Post
Sorry to hear about your mishap! At least no one got hurt and the repair shouldn't be too expensive.

Something very similar happened to my Accord just two weeks back.

Anyways, from now on I keep my rear fog light on at all times. Whatever extra visibility you can have is good in this country. It was a pretty stupid crash as that guy did not pay any attention to what was happening on the road.
Sorry to hear about you accident but these things do happen and I guess we have to me more defensive and alert while driving.

I did have my fog lamps on (both front and rear) since it was raining and my tail lights were working too (still are no damage to lights) including mounting brackets.

I have an appointment with Solitaire Honda tomorrow at andheri. The car is insured by Honda itself ans is cashless. Lets hope for minimum damage. There is a protective bar behind the bumper which took the hit, it is damaged a bit rest all is bumper damage.

I hope they have spares available and return the car soon.

Most Viewed