Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2010, 22:23   #1
BHPian

2010 Tata Safari 2.2 VTT LX Black - 24000 KM Update

Hello to All,

I have wanting to do a small write-up about my drives since the time I was inducted in, however, have been quite busy since May and hence, did not find enough time (some times less on Energy as well),

But it seems now the fruit has started ripening on seeing the beast reach its new den in full harmony and the time to pluck and enjoy it is just around the corner, the festive season would only lead it to full maturity.

Well, to start off, I have been buying new vehicles almost each year since 2005 and now feel amazed how was I able to pull off things, I had been a pure petrolhead since 2001 and this was first time I was plunging into an unknown category when I started calling myself a DieselJunkie.

I had relocated back to my hometown Gurgaon in September and sold off my Accent (bought in Mar 2010), I was initially planning to use WagonR and not thinking of buying any other car this year, However, as they say, everything is already planned for your life by the almighty and we are only a puppet on his hands.

It was decided by my family that we required another car, I had no say in this, I was just elbowed out of any related discussion, as they knew I wasn't interested in buying a car this year. Finally, I relented but only on condition that we will go in for a used car rather than a new one, They hesitantly agreed and asked me to search for a good vehicle, The price range was not decided and was open from 2L to 10L (Please dont get shocked, we always start from the lowest and end up at the high note). Then began my search for a used vehicle but could not find a decent vehicle (dont get astonished), finally I agreed for a new car after a search for more than 10 days (didnt had more energy or time to invest on this),

One day, I just heard of a good Car Loan offer from Corporation Bank, first year @ 8%, second year @ 10%, however, the best part was that they had no minimum no. of EMI payments required and I could repay/prepay almost immediately after receiving the sanction letter. I thought this as a good opportunity as I never wanted to take any loan for more than 12-15 months.

Now, the countdown for the battle begins

1 Vacant Parking Space,
Contenders > 10,
Price Barrier < 10L,
Time < 20 Days,

Keep waiting for more.....

P.S. - This story is going to be somwhat big, pls bear with my poor writing skills.
Old 2nd November 2010, 10:19   #2
BHPian

Well, the Hatchbacks were instantly ruled out as we already had a WagonR and i10 at our disposal, Swift Dzire, Indigo CS, Tata Manza & Mahindra Logan didn't qualify the prelims,

The Top 10 contenders were

1. VW Polo
2. Hyundai Accent
3. Chevrolet Aveo
4. Ford Fiesta
5. VW Vento
6. Chevrolet Optra Petrol
7. Mahindra Xylo
8. Mahindra Scorpio
9. Tata Safari
10. Toyota Innova

Now started the weeding out procedure,

1. VW Polo - Decent car at a good price, However, Mom and wife not too keen, but we were excited about this, so, was shortlised for the next round.

2. Hyundai Accent - Too old, Design still stands out and looks good from some angles, however, had kept one for about 4 months and was not impressed, hence, ruled out.

3. Chevrolet Aveo - Impressive Feature list, drove it and was very smooth and refined for the city, on the highway, the story was altogether different, but pretty exceptable, Price was tempting, shortlisted for the next round.

4. Ford Fiesta - Impressive vehicle, almost shortlisted, however, Figo and Fiesta sharing same specifications was not helping the matters, hence, ruled out.

5. VW Vento - A new entrant from a German manufacturer with high expectations, Waiting of 3 months was a big deterrent over here. Ruled Out.

6. Chevrolet Optra Petrol - A Decent Car, had kept one for about 5 months when one of my friends left his with me, Impressive throw from the engine, spacious, Luxurious interiors, GC is a bit of an issue, Chevrolet still does not aspires confidence after 3-4 yrs, The front fascia was not exactly to my liking, I believe the earlier Bow-Tie Grill was much better than the current one on the Magnum. Ruled out after much deliberation.

7. Mahindra Xylo - Very Spacious and comfortable, shortlisted right away without any much fuss.

8. Mahindra Scorpio - Good Car, but cramped seating and bad Ride Quality was against it, Was also not impressed with the mixed up looks which ended up in ruling this out.

9. Tata Safari - I had been dreaming to own one since ages, The engine is excellent, Ride quality is Good, Spacious Interiors, the beast actually raises you to a new height, the SUV factor was a big plus, was Shortlisted

10. Toyota Innova - It always was a winner, Good Interiors, and Decent space for 7/8, However, price was a big deterrent, The basic model with only AC was costing around 9L on road, Ruled out because of pricing.

At the end, below were shortlisted to run for the final medallion.

1. VW Polo
2. Chevrolet Aveo
3. Mahindra Xylo
4. Tata Safari

The Race is about to finish with an exciting end.
Old 2nd November 2010, 10:47   #3
BHPian

Congrats on your dream come true beast.I'm guessing its the Safari going by your signature right?
Old 14th November 2010, 21:20   #4
BHPian

First of all, Really sorry for loooong delay over here, was extremely busy with Diwali, then lot of guets coming around and extremely hectic work schedule, I didnt, get enough time to finish this story. I will cut this story short as I am almost 1000 kms old with my beast.

Continuing now, out of the 4 semi-finalists, Aveo and Safari zoomed past the Polo and the Xylo,

I had almost finalized Aveo looking at the VFM and the features and the Equipment provided, when one day, I had to make a Gurgaon to Faridabad trip in the Altis, and this trip made me realised the folly I was going to make by choosing another Sedan and traveresing the so-called roads between Faridabad and Gurgaon ( I am not sure whether to call them roads).

Everything was just a passe now and the Safari was now finalized without any more discussions.

Now came the toughest part of selecting the model, the color was already decided as Black as I had never owned a black car and was desiring one for a long time,

Looking at all aspects of the Safari and speaking to a lot of owners, finally LX was decided and thats when I decided to roll the dice and go ahead with the decision.

I would extend my sincere thanks to Raktim (rideon) who really helped me patiently in deciding this beast.

So, 10th Oct was when I decided to take the plunge to buy one of my longest dreams of owning a Safari, LX Black color.

Coming up, Booking experience, Loan Experience, Waiting Period, Delivery Experience and 950 Kms of pure Driving Nirvana.
Old 14th November 2010, 21:35   #5
BHPian

Finally, on 11th Oct, visited Corporation Bank to start the loan procedure, they had some Loan Mela running and I decided to take the advantage (really one?, find out below).

Read the URL for the Loan Details

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/2113797-post243.html

They gave me a really long form and a more longer list of docs required, It took me full 3 days to arrange everything (Imagine my plight).

Meanwhile, on the morning of 13th Oct, I booked a Black Safari LX from ABS Motors, Gurgaon by paying 10K as advance.

By 5 pm on the same day, I deposited all the required docs with the bank as 14th was an Off day and 16th, Bank had a holiday and with the weekend coming up, I didnt wanted to waste more time. I had to really run from pillar to post for arranging all the docs required by the bank. With the lawyers strike in Gurgaon during those days and the commonwealth closing, I had to dig out all my past resources and acquintances to get Stamp Papers for signing on Saturday. The last nail in the coffin was that just as I got everything, my shoes deserted me, I literally tore off my brand new shoes but had a a feeling of winning a big war.

But was it really just one war or just the begining.

Read On.

Last edited by shantanumishra : 14th November 2010 at 21:41. Reason: Added URL
Old 17th November 2010, 16:16   #6
BHPian

The Wait and the Agony of owning the Beast

Finally the first hurdle was crossed and now began the most boring part of any purchase, the agonising wait. I was promised an intial 10 days of booking period and the delivery was scheduled for 23 Oct 2010, but the fate had its own choice of road.

The Bank could not process the loan on time (the fact their Verifying agency had rejected my application - reason given was customer non-supportive), Hell they never contacted me for any verification and rejected the application, I Immediately took a day off and visited their branch and escalated this to the Bank Manager, He arranged for a verification and asked me to come on a Sunday (24 Oct 2010) for signing all the required docs, Yes, the Nationalised bank opened its branch for me to sign their required docs

Meanwhile, the dealer started playing his own normal Car Delay Pranks, Also, I got news of the CWG cars available for sale (another thread exists for this - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...l-go-sale.html)

After All these Distractions and swaying around, I decided to wait for my Black Beauty patiently and began to prepare myself to get it to its full glory.

The Dealer confirmed me that on 28 Oct, I can take the delivery of the vehicle, so I took another day off from my Office and reached the dealership at sharp 11 AM in the morning for the PDI and other neccessary documentation to start a new Ininings, but the race had not yet finished.

I had to cross some more Hurdles before I could grab my prized possession and sail through.

More coming up.
Old 17th November 2010, 17:50   #7
BHPian

I reached the Dealership at 11 AM sharp only to know the salesman say that my car has not yet arrived and it would only come the next day and after their PDI, delivery would happen the day after,

After waiting for so long, this was another big jolt for me and I was literally out of my minds, I rushed to the GM, who assured me that the car had indeed arrived and was at their Stockyard and I could go to their service centre at 2 PM to do the PDI and then he would arrange the delivery by evening.

Based on his confirmation, I reached the Service centre at 2 PM only to find another hurdle waiting for me, the car had not yet reached the service centre for a PDI and it was still in the stockyard. The GM called me and said that due to some mistake, the Truck loader had taken the car keys with him and they are waiting for him to return the same to their stockyard and once the car keys are received, they will immediately start off for the PDI and subsequent delivery. I told him that I will be waiting at the service centre for the PDI and would leave with the car to the showroom for delivery.

My biggest mistake was to believe him. He wasted about 3 hours, when finally I decided to go to the Stockyard myself and see the real story

On reaching the Stockyard, I found to my horror that my car had already reached the Dearler's Stockyard 1 day before and all this time, he was only making a mockery of my patience. The truck loader was standing there waiting for his copy of Blue Form (Presumely Delivery confirmation reciept) and the Dealer had also kept him waiting.

I cross-checked the Chassis no, engine no (given earlier to me), did an initial PDI and apart from couple of things, everything else was good to go. The ODO read about 57 km and the loader confirmed that he had picked up a fresh piece from the company, which pacified me that atleast I got a literally brand new car.

I was very angry with the GM and the entire Dealership on this harrowing experience, but one look at the Black beauty and all my anger vanished and I just wanted to take it home as fast as possible,

I Immediately spoke to the GM and told him that the keys are very much present inside the car and he should send a driver immediately to pick this and take it to the service centre for the PDI

Well, at the service centre the PDI, washing, cleaning and other small works were done and by the time everything was completed, it was already 07:30 PM, my brother told me that lets take the delivery on the next day, but I was not reluctant and wanted to take the delivery the same day, even if it meant late nights for the dealer, (Hell, I had already invested one full day for this).

I called up the GM and told him that we would be taking the delivery now and he can clear the remaining pending jobs later

The issues as per GM in delivery were as below

1. The Front Grill was broken, Dealer promised to replace it.
2. Driver Side Inner Fender lining was broken at one place, replacement was promised.
3. Mud Flaps/Foot mats were not available, this was not a show stopper for me. Promised to hand over in next 2 days.
4. Insurance guy had left and he could not hand over the vehicle without proper Insurance, I signalled him to call that guy and ask him to complete the formalities.
5. Accounts team had left for the day and they could not bill it to me.
6. They could not prepare the temp registration at this late hour.

However, I was not buying any of these things and I only asked the GM, If he had been promising me delivery since morning, why wasn't documentation completed till now, I was non-moving and wanted the delivery the same day. At last, the GM relented and entire documentation was arranged and finally I took the delivery at around 08:30 PM in the night of 27 Oct 2010.

Finally the Beast did reach its Den on the stipulated day, but the battle had just begun and the end was still very far.

Here's a Teaser Pic for you all to Enjoy

2010 Tata Safari 2.2 VTT LX Black - 24000 KM Update-28102010855.jpg

Wait for more.

Last edited by shantanumishra : 17th November 2010 at 17:51.
Old 17th November 2010, 23:30   #8
Senior - BHPian

Congratulatios
Do post a comprehensive driving experience. And more pics!!
Old 18th November 2010, 00:18   #9
BANNED

Congratulations Mishra saab

Welcome to the ever growing clan on this forum.

Hope all your troubles are taken care of. Enough of the teaser pics, can we now have some Real Good pics

Wish you a long and a trouble free ownership experience.
Old 18th November 2010, 11:26   #10
Senior - BHPian

Heartiest congratulations Shantanu on being a proud owner of the Safari.

Appears that you had a horrid time before delivery. Hope you can put that aside and look forward to a nice long term ownership experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantanumishra View Post
Finally the Beast did reach its Den on the stipulated day, but the battle had just begun and the end was still very far.
Wait for more.
Now, what battle is this ?
Old 18th November 2010, 13:55   #11
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the beast! Safari does have its own fan following

BTW going by yourtrack record, how long do you intend to keep the Safari
Old 18th November 2010, 18:26   #12
BHPian

Hey Congrats. A similar buying criteria as mine... With a Happy Beginning.

Wish you happy mile munching and unveil the black beauty
Old 19th November 2010, 19:22   #13
BHPian

Congratulations ! .

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantanumishra View Post
My biggest mistake was to believe him. He wasted about 3 hours, when finally I decided to go to the Stockyard myself and see the real story

But why would these make wait deliberately ! Pardon my innocence. I dont get the reason !
Old 19th November 2010, 23:12   #14
BHPian

Thanks all, The Pics are underway, just that I am still in the process of raising the Beast to its full Glory. The process is yet to complete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Appears that you had a horrid time before delivery. Hope you can put that aside and look forward to a nice long term ownership experience.
Perhaps, it was my worst delivery experience till date, Guess What, the experience is yet to finish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Now, what battle is this ?
Because of the marriage season and my preparations for an on coming Trip to UP, I am busy with toning her flexes, I am too busy to complete the story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Congrats on the beast! Safari does have its own fan following

BTW going by yourtrack record, how long do you intend to keep the Safari
You are correct, After dreaming for her for last 8 years, the fact is still not digestable.

Hey, I have only sold 3 cars in 9 years, Esteem had done about 75K in 4 yrs, NHC did about 97K in 4 yrs, Accent was an exception (Relocation to Gurgaon took its toll).
WagonR (35K in 4 yrs) and Altis (50K in 2 yrs)are still with me, For the Safari, its just the begining, we will talk after about 2 yrs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by druva View Post
Hey Congrats. A similar buying criteria as mine... With a Happy Beginning.

Wish you happy mile munching and unveil the black beauty
Thanks, The market is always very confusing if you take the plunge to pick one out. Best of luck for your search.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubbertramps View Post
Congratulations ! .

But why would these make wait deliberately ! Pardon my innocence. I dont get the reason !
I donno, I was initially very angry and upset but after setting my eyes on the beast, I almost forgot and forgave all wrongdoings of the Dealer.
Old 20th November 2010, 01:49   #15
BHPian

Congrats for the vehicle. Tata's service is not consistent. Hopefully it will get better as you start using the vehicle. Wishing you a happy and niggle free ownership of you dream car.

@milecruncher: The safari fan following is increasing day by day here at tbhp. I m beginning to think that its everyones dream vehicle at one point of time or the other :P and I would be surprised if safari was not a dream vehicle for any person.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks