Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2010, 09:18   #31
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your purchase, nice observations there Druva, I don't mean to rain on your parade but..

Quote:
The high stance and top down view. My previous ride (Santro) was not bad in road view. But Safari takes it to an elevated level.
You cannot compare a Santro to a Safari, they are in different segments.

Quote:
Brakes are effective. I think the EBD is efficient. So far I dont seem to have used the ABS.
You cannot choose to use or not use ABS, and under normal braking you will not even know it is in operation.

Quote:
The difficult gears. I still have trouble slotting first gear. I hope I am not breaking in (rather than running in). These two points make it difficult to ride within the city.
Ensure that you depress the clutch fully while changing gears, you will then have no dificulty in changing, after driving a Santro with it's light clutch Safari takes getting used to.

Quote:
2nd row AC condensation. My first time use, the AC started showing water drops. We stopped it at the time as the cabin itself became cold by then. After that I had no repeat of the issue. As per SA, its normal to see condensation but not water continuously leaking. Not sure.
Under normal conditions, there is no condensation inside the cabin anywhere, as for the water dropping, please get it checked.

Quote:
I had a momentary loss of power in 2nd gear. Fortunately I noticed that it was due to the parking brake was not fully released. Luckily I had started only then and travelled probably only 50 mts. Hope I have not damaged her much.
Was it loss of power or was the vehicle struggling to move forward? Vehicle struggling to move forward indicates that maybe you handbrake is ON. But a 50m drive in this position will not harm the vehicle or brakes in any way.
But if there is a blip in power delivery, this is the same issue that many of us face one time or the other, this happens on and off and is just for a fraction of a second.

Quote:
Hydraulic jack for lifting the vehicle. I was told that the wheels are heavy and self change of wheels would be near impossible. In all probability some truck driver is going to help me change wheels. Will I require this? Any owners have experience in changing wheels?
A hydraulic jack will only lift the vehicle, you have to lift the wheel from its mounts yourself, no two ways about it, a hydraulic jack will not help in this. It does require some effort to change wheels, but not impossible, the only downside would be if you are dressed in finery and have the unfortunate event of changing the wheel.

Quote:
Reverse Camera - mostly dropping this as I am now more comfortable with the sensors. What are other owners having/ planning?

Ditch the other accessories and go for this, this will be a boon while reversing in tight parking slots.

Cheers,
Hari.
Old 5th November 2010, 09:28   #32
BHPian

On the negatives
1 - Turning radius - No SUV's have less than that. So, we simply have to get used to it.
2 - Gears - 1st and reverse - typical new Safari and will be good after the 1st service. Also, make sure you press the clutch very full [100%] while slotting [any] gear.
3 - Rear door - has to be heavy with the huge 16" tyre/wheel. We need to eat good and build our muscle at least for this purpose This is not a negative buddy, please .
4 - I think, some indicators are blue and some are yellow/amber. I have to check. I think, I am sure about the AC being blue. Will check it out in my VX.
5 - Gear stick ergonomics - I too felt bad initially, but got used to it. And NO, I dont have greater difficulty in slotting in/out the CD while in 1st or 3rd gear. We need to find the correct angle to put in or take out the CD's. In ARIA, this design doesnt exist since the gear stick is short [compared to Safari, very short], almost like Sedans.
6 - A-pillar creating blind spot - May be due to your driving position/seat position and height. For me, there is NO blind spot at all including the REAR. Thanks to the rear camera. I repeat, there is NO BLIND SPOT AT ALL for me. I get much better views all around the cars in the right combination of 3 rear view mirrors and the rear camera.
7 - Yes - Wheel at the rear door kills the visibility through the IVRM. But, I always use the camera for my judgement and its a GREAT POSITIVE since its factory fit on VX.
8 - No space for water bottles - YES, But, I usually keep them in the door pouch itself along with my CD library. Thats OK, manageable. But, YES, Safari should have given a thought about this.
Old 7th November 2010, 17:35   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairalee View Post
Druva,

You can get good trunk organisers and rear back seat mounted organisers from Ebay.in or at many big accessories dealers...
Thanks Kairalee. Your ride looks very neat. I just saw your pictures posted in the Safari Pictures thread. Neat looking. Time to start your thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
Nice car Druva!! and a good read. Wish you many happy miles on you "Beast"

Of late I've been drawn to SUVs for a very bad reason. Well-frankly for terrorising my fellow motorists!! Pesky motorcyclists with a death wish. SUV comes along barrelling down the road and all are good boys

For a car guy and one with the hots for hot hatches it's a remarkable change of attitude i must say. The things Indian roads do to you!!

Tyre upgrade?? Those wheel wells would look swell with some wider tyres!!

Drive on,
Shibu.
Thanks Shibu. Tyre upgrade? no Vit M boss. But this is on cards. Not sure when I will do this though.

Regarding your comment about the attitude, I dont need to mention the respect Safari. I was trying to drive it sedately and noticed that others are not giving the same respect. Only if I drive faster others yield.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
Congrats on your purchase, nice observations there Druva, I don't mean to rain on your parade but..

NO SIR. No offence taken.

You cannot compare a Santro to a Safari, they are in different segments.

. Unfortunately those are my main experiences. But Santro gives you a very good view compared to even sedans.

You cannot choose to use or not use ABS, and under normal braking you will not even know it is in operation.

I meant I did not get the feedback on the pedal and hopefully will never get to use that.

Ensure that you depress the clutch fully while changing gears, you will then have no dificulty in changing, after driving a Santro with it's light clutch Safari takes getting used to.

I think, I am pressing fully. Since both you and Kaviprem have commented the same, I will be more conscious and check it.

Under normal conditions, there is no condensation inside the cabin anywhere, as for the water dropping, please get it checked.

Hmm.. Not encountered again. Hope it doesnt continue.

Was it loss of power or was the vehicle struggling to move forward? Vehicle struggling to move forward indicates that maybe you handbrake is ON. But a 50m drive in this position will not harm the vehicle or brakes in any way.

The incident I encountered is this. I have not noticed any other problem. So hopefully no issue.

But if there is a blip in power delivery, this is the same issue that many of us face one time or the other, this happens on and off and is just for a fraction of a second.

I have started facing this. In the first service, the SA added additives. I am not sure whether its because of that or something else. I just went to Tirupati and returned. I noticed this momentary loss of power on the ride in the hills. Its not that prominent in freeways. Not sure what it is.

A hydraulic jack will only lift the vehicle, you have to lift the wheel from its mounts yourself, no two ways about it, a hydraulic jack will not help in this. It does require some effort to change wheels, but not impossible, the only downside would be if you are dressed in finery and have the unfortunate event of changing the wheel.

Good to know that we can change. Thanks for the detailed feedback.

Ditch the other accessories and go for this, this will be a boon while reversing in tight parking slots.

Thanks. Hunting for this. Not sure how they will wire it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
On the negatives
1 - Turning radius - No SUV's have less than that. So, we simply have to get used to it.
Not sure about Scorpio but Xylo and Grande have significantly less.

2 - Gears - 1st and reverse - typical new Safari and will be good after the 1st service. Also, make sure you press the clutch very full [100%] while slotting [any] gear.

Will observe my clutch usage. As of now consciously attempting not to clutch ride.

3 - Rear door - has to be heavy with the huge 16" tyre/wheel. We need to eat good and build our muscle at least for this purpose This is not a negative buddy, please .

There is some issue, right from PDI. Other doors close easily. Only this requires some extra effort. Yes, with the wheels it is extra heavy.

4 - I think, some indicators are blue and some are yellow/amber. I have to check. I think, I am sure about the AC being blue. Will check it out in my VX.

Yes. There is a mix of yellow and blue. There are also some dials which seem to have indicators but doesnt glow at all (for eg. the hot/ cold dial )

5 - Gear stick ergonomics - I too felt bad initially, but got used to it. And NO, I dont have greater difficulty in slotting in/out the CD while in 1st or 3rd gear. We need to find the correct angle to put in or take out the CD's. In ARIA, this design doesnt exist since the gear stick is short [compared to Safari, very short], almost like Sedans.

Yes, the ARIA' gears are great.

6 - A-pillar creating blind spot - May be due to your driving position/seat position and height. For me, there is NO blind spot at all including the REAR. Thanks to the rear camera. I repeat, there is NO BLIND SPOT AT ALL for me. I get much better views all around the cars in the right combination of 3 rear view mirrors and the rear camera.

I cant play with the length. Let me try different heights and see.

7 - Yes - Wheel at the rear door kills the visibility through the IVRM. But, I always use the camera for my judgement and its a GREAT POSITIVE since its factory fit on VX.

Yes, I am worried about wiring. As of now, sensors are working fine. Within my parking lot the pillars do cause problem in the coverage.

8 - No space for water bottles - YES, But, I usually keep them in the door pouch itself along with my CD library. Thats OK, manageable. But, YES, Safari should have given a thought about this.
Thanks luke and kaviprem for the detailed replies. Much appreciated.
Old 8th November 2010, 15:36   #34
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Congratulations Druva! That's one heck of a detailed writeup on your buying & ownership experience. Your first post had me glued; I spent 30 minutes of last evening going through the thread in detail. I think its amazing how us enthusiasts cross-shop across segments....you went through new / used options, including sedans & MUVs. As long as you are happy at the end, that's all that matters. I especially liked how the votes kept swinging in your family

Drive safe will you!
Old 8th November 2010, 18:21   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by druva View Post
[*]Huge ORVMs and very good rear view mirror. It would be nice, if they given anti glare in ORVMs too! The rear view mirrors are top class.[/list]
I too liked the ORVMs, it was such a boon for this traffic madness. I always drive with the mirrors open, as it also acts as a deterrent! Rs. 800 was affordable when in Palio, but Rs.4500 for a Safari heated ORVM and I am little concerned, just as a TN bus stopped just an inch away from crashing it.
And this one has absolutely no blind spot, fabulous. But the center RVM is a big setback as it is not equipped with anti-glare.

Quote:
The negatives[list=1][*]The huge turning radius
I requested my SA to reduce it during the 1st service. And the result is simply awesome, I can negotiate the Forum Mall U turn in Bangalore with confidence.

Quote:
[*]The difficult gears. I still have trouble slotting first gear. I hope I am not breaking in (rather than running in). These two points make it difficult to ride within the city.
1st and Reverse are little tough, I was advised that after about 2K it would set in.

Quote:
[*]The wheels on the rear block the view of the close following vehicle. I am also not able to judge if the vehicle at the rear is too close or not.
Just a matter of time before you get adjusted to it. I am fine with my judgment

Quote:
[*]Sun Film - planning for Lumar. Havent been able to find time to complete it.
Check out my photo, I have 3M RE 35 on sides and RE 70 on rear. Nothing on the front. Good visibility in night and rainy conditions. It costed me Rs.4600 here in Bangalore.

Quote:
[*]Front bumpers - not planning to take this.
I will for sure go for it.
You see, the 2 wheelers here in Blr squeeze between the cars in a traffic stop, and a minor scrape is not felt (when idling). I like these fibre light weight bumpers to protect. The one that is made for Innova by hiker extreme, the half size one, looks nice.

Last edited by sgmitr13 : 8th November 2010 at 18:22.
Old 8th November 2010, 19:05   #36
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Druva,

One of the Macho machine in our Nation.
This SUV(Same Color & Variant) is in my list for my second car.
Enjoy the Beast and Drive Safe
Old 8th November 2010, 19:14   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Congratulations Druva! That's one heck of a detailed writeup on your buying & ownership experience. Your first post had me glued; I spent 30 minutes of last evening going through the thread in detail. I think its amazing how us enthusiasts cross-shop across segments....you went through new / used options, including sedans & MUVs. As long as you are happy at the end, that's all that matters. I especially liked how the votes kept swinging in your family

Drive safe will you!
Thanks GTO. Another comment to keep smiling about. Even if Safari doesnt give me the smile, these comments will.

BTW, with so many criss cross between car, I had written a draft one which would reveal my actual car after 3-4 posts. I changed the story line considering the "locks" on booking threads and also my own previous postings in other threads had given away the answer!

Quote:
I especially liked how the votes kept swinging in your family
My family is large enough to implement democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmitr13 View Post
... But the center RVM is a big setback as it is not equipped with anti-glare.

Are you sure? Mine is anti-glare.

I requested my SA to reduce it during the 1st service. And the result is simply awesome, I can negotiate the Forum Mall U turn in Bangalore with confidence.

My SA said.. nope that its not possible. Detail about my first service in following post

1st and Reverse are little tough, I was advised that after about 2K it would set in.

Check Luke and Kaviprem' comments. I though I was pressing full clutch. But I was not. After I made a conscious attempt, gears are slotting easier.

Check out my photo, I have 3M RE 35 on sides and RE 70 on rear. Nothing on the front. Good visibility in night and rainy conditions. It costed me Rs.4600 here in Bangalore.

I am planning to go for the front ones too. That reduces the heat more.

I will for sure go for it.
You see, the 2 wheelers here in Blr squeeze between the cars in a traffic stop, and a minor scrape is not felt (when idling). I like these fibre light weight bumpers to protect. The one that is made for Innova by hiker extreme, the half size one, looks nice.

Two points for you to think otherwise
a) Crumple zone {search on this at TBHP. There was a Safari crash itslef having a discussion on this }
b) Pedestrian friendliness. {Bumpers are not pedestrian friendly}
Old 10th November 2010, 17:08   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
This SUV(Same Color & Variant) is in my list for my second car.
Enjoy the Beast and Drive Safe
Thanks Karthik. My suggestion - If you can, wait for the next SUV release. I did TD of Aria when I went to collect my RC book and it is leagues ahead of Safari. The engine refinement and gearbox were classes above Safari. If Aria and Manza are any yardstick for TATA, a new platform SUV from TATA should be worth the wait. If you cant wait, Safari is worth the plunge.

Back to my story. Fuel economy. I am having mixed figures, so dont know how to interpret. I had three fills for her so far (with 1700 on the odo).
All the fills were stopped at auto stop. (no top up and at same bunk)

First fill, she had given 11.42 km/l - all City driving with 80% AC on and 10% dual AC.

Second fill, she had given 10.29 km/l - similar pattern of driving as above. I suspect that this figure is distorted by TASS during my first service. I think they kept the engine running at the service center.

Third fill, she returned 12.94 km/l - this was with a 300 km ride to Tirupati via Tirutani. This highway is only a 2 lane highway and mostly I was in 60-80 range and not for long stretches. Occasionally I touched 100 but no significant ripping. Considering the 25km Tirumala uphill ride, this seems to be decent mileage.

My driving style was sedate as I was running in her and mostly the RPM hovers around 1500-2000. Still I am happy with the mileage she has given.

Also the SA for my first service, asked me to use Shell. I think BS3 owners in forum are not using Shell. What about BS4 owners? What fuel are you using?
Old 10th November 2010, 23:52   #39
BHPian

Instigating

Hey Druva, i was glued to your review. Its enticing and instigated me to list Safari as an optionto consider for my next upgrade. I always liked the shape of the Safari ever since it was launched. Let me see where my destiny ends.

, i read somewhere that Tata is upgrading Safari. A new breed of Safri is in the making. Tata will sell new version along side the existing Safari. It is expected sooner.. how sooner? i dont have an idea. Does any of our fellow BHPians have any idea?
Old 11th November 2010, 10:28   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirajan View Post
Hey Druva, i was glued to your review. Its enticing and instigated me to list Safari as an optionto consider for my next upgrade. I always liked the shape of the Safari ever since it was launched. Let me see where my destiny ends.
Thanks. Do make an educated buy. TBHP is one excellent source about Safari. Still listen to your heart

Quote:

, i read somewhere that Tata is upgrading Safari. A new breed of Safri is in the making. Tata will sell new version along side the existing Safari. It is expected sooner.. how sooner? i dont have an idea. Does any of our fellow BHPians have any idea?
You can see the thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-new-pics.html

I have updated what the sales person told me there.
Old 11th November 2010, 12:27   #41
BHPian

Congrats druva on your new car. When i picked up the vtt i had no choice of GX so had to chose between ex and lx.

The first gear problem would remain throughout though it might get reduced a bit. There is a problem with the long throw and it is a characteristic of the MKI gearbox.

Whatever said, the car is worth it. I have used it for 61k in exactly two years and except few niggles (which was far too irritating) the car is faithful. Maybe i am just too superstitious, but my safari would ensure i reach workshop or home even if its limping. I even thought of selling the car in between but it did not happen and happily driving.

This being my second safari, i definitely think its VFM for those who cannot afford a Pajero. That said, i am still hoping the safari to match the NVH of new model scorpio.
Old 11th November 2010, 13:42   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post
Congrats druva on your new car. When i picked up the vtt i had no choice of GX so had to chose between ex and lx.

Thanks Sunish. Yes, GX is ideal for opting for ABS. I wish TATA makes ABS mandatory in all versions.

The first gear problem would remain throughout though it might get reduced a bit. There is a problem with the long throw and it is a characteristic of the MKI gearbox.

Yeah. It appears that way only. It was better after first service. But beginning to have same toughness again.

Whatever said, the car is worth it. I have used it for 61k in exactly two years and except few niggles (which was far too irritating) the car is faithful. Maybe i am just too superstitious, but my safari would ensure i reach workshop or home even if its limping. I even thought of selling the car in between but it did not happen and happily driving.

Happy to know that you are still happy. I am sure I will also be.

This being my second safari, i definitely think its VFM for those who cannot afford a Pajero. That said, i am still hoping the safari to match the NVH of new model scorpio.

You should TD Aria to believe. Its the same Dicor 2.2 but super silent. You should wait for next gen Safari launch and take.

BTW, BS4 variant Safari is silent compared to BS3.
Old 12th November 2010, 13:04   #43
BHPian

Good Review

Nice review Dhruv.
Congratulations on your beast.

I also bought a honda city about 5 months ago and the low ground clearance has made outings a nightmare. Specially with more than 2-3 people in the car. it scrapes even at low speed breakers.

Once on my way from delhi to Rohtak, the car almost hung in balance on a monster speed breaker. Seriously i wish i had bought a Safari.
Old 12th November 2010, 14:33   #44
Senior - BHPian

Congrats druva for you fantastic GX and it really looks nice.

Some clarifications of points

1. Hole in power window lock button: It is not actually hole. There is LED in that hole which indicates whether power window lock is on or off. But the glow of LED is very weak and you have to really bend over it to check.

2. Rear gate issue: I had same problem when I was not able to open rear gate either from inside our outside. Somehow greater push from inside helped me to open. However if gate is not locked you can see red indicator glowing in dash (Door ajar warning).

3. Back seat organizer: I am yet to get one. It is one must have in Safari.

4. Toolkit adjustment: With little effort you can fit entire supplied toolkit by TATA inside hydraulic jack compartment. Just try it yourself. But if you want to fit any thing extra it would not take. There is one more place where you can keep toolkit. It is below middle seat.

5. Hydraulic jack is already supplied by TATA. Is that not sufficient for Safari? I feel it should be sufficient.

6. I feel not much difficulties operating my after market music system. Or you can say I am getting used to it.

7. I am using reverse parking sensor (4 Nos) in my Safari. After one and half month I am quite comfortable with it.

You are getting very good average, which I am not. I am getting around 9.XX in city stop and go traffic with 100% AC. How is traffic condition in your city?

Try to keep idle for 30 seconds after engine start and before engine stop each time for prolonging turbo life. It is advised in manual.

Last edited by anujmishra : 12th November 2010 at 14:35.
Old 12th November 2010, 16:58   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaush View Post

I also bought a honda city about 5 months ago and the low ground clearance has made outings a nightmare. Specially with more than 2-3 people in the car. it scrapes even at low speed breakers.

Once on my way from delhi to Rohtak, the car almost hung in balance on a monster speed breaker. Seriously i wish i had bought a Safari.
Thanks akaush. I almost bought City and I can only Thank Almighty for the Bangalore trip. Its one of the best petrol engines and the dealership service was exemplary. I had Civic at US and the mileage I used to get out of 5 year old car was awesome. Just wish that they had adapted better to the Indian conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
Congrats druva for you fantastic GX and it really looks nice.

Some clarifications of points

1. Hole in power window lock button: ..

2. Rear gate issue: ..

3. Back seat organizer: I am yet to get one. It is one must have in Safari.

4. Toolkit adjustment: ...

5. Hydraulic jack is already supplied by TATA. Is that not sufficient for Safari? I feel it should be sufficient.

6. I feel not much difficulties operating my after market music system. ...

7. I am using reverse parking sensor (4 Nos) in my Safari. ...

You are getting very good average, which I am not. I am getting around 9.XX in city stop and go traffic with 100% AC. How is traffic condition in your city?

Try to keep idle for 30 seconds after engine start and before engine stop each time for prolonging turbo life. It is advised in manual.
Thanks Anuj for the detailed reply.

point 1 - yes. During first service my SA showed by envoloping the button with both hands. A tiny light glows in yellow. Its not visible even in night

point 2 - yes. I am getting used to it and helps building my muscle too

point 3 - planning for this month. Liked what Kairalee posted. Didnt like what ebay shows currently. Will check local shops before the plunge.

point 4 - yes. have to try this out.

point 5 - the jack supplied by TATA is not hydraulic. It will be difficult for us to use is my understanding. Not buying this month. Will let you know if I find.

point 6 - not an issue. but planning to highlight in mail to TATA.

I am following the 30 sec idle so far. Planning to rip her once a while too as per suggestions in Technical thread.

Regarding the mileage.. my office commute is 17 km one way. Mostly driven in 2nd or 3rd gear only. There are two stretches (Kathipara junction and Tidel park signal) of 1 km that will take 15-20 min each.. Overall timings vary between 45 min to 1 h 15 min.

I guess I am getting good mileage mainly because of sedate driving. I mostly change gears by engine sound (my earlier cars didnt have RPM meter). In 2nd/ 3rd gears her sweet spot is around 1500 rpm and 4th gear 1700-2000 rpm is what I drive.

I am also practicing to avoid clutch riding. So when crawling in traffic I am mostly in first gear with neither accelerator nor clutch pressed. same in 2nd gear also. Not sure if this too contributes to my mileage.

Happywheels seem to be getting the most mileage from his Safari. Let me update how it goes after the next fill.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks