Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2010, 10:52   #1
BHPian

My Sleek Silver Chiquita.. - My Hyundai i20

Hello!

Finally, I get to post a thread in this section!

[Skip these para(s) if you just want the ownership report]

The story goes such, September 30th, my mom sends me a text along the lines of "son, we can get a car" I don't believe her at first because it has always been "let us see" when the topic had been broached. Then, an hour later, she calls and says seriously, lets get a car. And thus the dream begins!

First week of Oct, mom explains that we have a budget of about 3-4 lks So I said lets go test the Figo, but since the Hyundai showroom is closer, lets test the i20 too, So go to Kun Hyundai and it's pretty late at the time (7ish). The salesman explains all the different features of the car and then lets us go for a short test-drive around the block. Dad drives it for about 100 meters and then hands it over to me. Took it around the block and mom liked the suspension and the rear seat comfort. I didn't get to really play around much with the car, and I war REALLY apprehensive about driving, because all my driving experience to date has been mainly on jeeps and tractors Then the salesman gives us the price list, we say thanks and get back home.

A few days later, we hit the Ford showroom. Again it's 6:30 ish and the roads are packed. We reach the showroom, walk in and have to wait for about 10 min for a sales assistant. So meanwhile, I show mum and dad all the various features of the Figo. Then the sales guy comes over and gives us the costs. We ask for a test drive, but since the main road was full of traffic, he said within the dealership compound we could go up and down.

with that done we(dad and me) headed back home to contemplate. Mom was sure the i20 was out of the question due to budgets.

Then the next Sunday, we arrive early at the Ford dealer and go for a proper test-drive. After that while returning home, decided that we might be able to stretch a bit and get the sportz version of the i20 into budget, so went back to KUN and got a longer test drive.
Then the confusion began, so started a thread here, and got more inputs..

Meanwhile, KUN explains about the 1 and a half months waiting period, and that there were some people who had started paying the EMI's too(Nonsense! you have to pay only when the car is allotted and before it's registered right?)
So as we wanted the vehicle quick, spoke to a dealer that dad knew, he said waiting period is not an issue, and thus one negative point from the i20 was canceled.

Anyway, Then mom and dad spoke and decided if we going as far as 6.5, might as well stretch and get the fully loaded i20 Asta crdi.

So 17th Oct, paid a token booking amount of 5000rs at V3 Hyundai.
28th Oct, we get a call saying our vehicle has just been unloaded from the container. I had an exam, so decided to go on the Saturday to do the PDI.

Saturday, it was Pouring and we go to the stock yard, and there I catch my first glimpse of her! That was such a joyous moment! However, my joy was short lived.. I found a small tiny scratch on the bumper(just a surface scratch) I right away wanted to switch our allotment with a diff silver i20 parked in the yard. Then we got back to the show room, all the while dad explaining that it was a really small surface scratch, and a little wax and it will be gone. once there the sales guy takes me up to the accounts dept and we check that the vehicle has already been invoiced to someone else, plus that it has been sitting in the yard for a month. So I thought of it as a charm or "Drishti"

Then we had to pull some strings to get the car registered on a Monday as mom had some issues with Tuesday registration and then, comes Wednesday!

[Now the actual Initial Ownership Report]

Wednesday, Get up at 9Am, we had decided to leave at 9:30 Am to be at the dealership at 10:30. We get up and then are at a loss as to how to get to the dealership, cause we didn't want one person to have to drive either our beloved jeep or the new car alone!

Finally dad and I grudgingly decide to take and auto to Thiruvanmiyur from Kilpauk
By the time we get ready et all, it's 10:15 and we get an auto at 10:30, we go about ten min, and he stops saying some prob with the auto, no pick up.
yeah, long story short, we keep stopping(his carb was chocked) and then resuming our journey, so finally reached the dealership at 11:30. Mom wanted to take delivery before 12, so we arrived and immediately I went and checked that the scratch was no longer there! Then a quick pooja ceremony followed and the keys were handed over to day with a photo. The sales guy took us up and showed us all the paperwork. Then we get to our car and he explains in detail all the various gizmos and features.
This was VERY confusing esp for dad at first. We are all old school, our garage consists of an '88 Jeep and a '79 Bullet. so getting used to the different switches for the powerwindows/mirror adjust etc took time!

Then, with the odo reading at 46kms (the correct distance from the showroom to the RTO) Dad takes her out for the first time. We head straight for the service yard as dad and me wanted to check her out fully, plus learn more about newer technology.
We met the service manager, and then got our girl into the service yard and onto the jacks. Hoisted her up and got a really detailed idea and crash-course of the full vehicle. the various oil drain points, the suspension etc.. At this point, I found that the rear mudflaps weren't attached at the bottom, so the guy quickly did it.
Then got her down, and brought her home! One the way, topped up that tank with 51 odd lts of diesel.

That night, after dinner, we decided to go for a nice ride and run-in the car (dad still maintains that it is a good practice even if metallurgy has improved from the old days) So went for a nice long drive, and on the beach road, dad is in 4th at 50, and I was like, try the 5th Gear also! So he slots in the 5th and then 6th.
The expression on his face was such bliss! We drove from Thiruvanmiyur to the ECR toll gate, all the while in 6th gear, with his foot of the accelerator. She just cruses at 60 in 6th and at this rpm, the turbo is just beginning to spool! He keeps calling it cruise control, saying he just has to steer the car!

So at the end of day one, we had done 147kms
Today, is my turn to drive!

Few Minor things we noticed.

-There is no light under the bonnet. Dad argues that we aren't meant to go poking under the hood anyway. We kind of felt bad when the service guy said all we have to do is top up the windshield washer fluid.
-The air pressure was at 45psi from the dealer!
-Spare key doesn't flip and lock properly, shall get it replaced.

Phew! that was one long post! Sorry for the rambling!
It's not everyday that you can say, I am 20, and I have an i20! {Cheezy, I know! but hehe!}

[Ps: Mods, I hope you don't mind, I have surpassed the two smiley limit for this one post, too much emotion you see!]

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Yes we do mind and hence your post is edited . Smilie usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. So please stick to that rule.
Attached Thumbnails
My Sleek Silver Chiquita.. - My Hyundai i20-03112010203.jpg  

My Sleek Silver Chiquita.. - My Hyundai i20-03112010204.jpg  

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 4th November 2010 at 11:08.
Old 4th November 2010, 13:22   #2
BHPian

Congratulations spyking. Wish you many many happy miles with your car. Drive safe.
Old 4th November 2010, 13:24   #3
BANNED

Congrats spyking. Hope you have a trouble-free ownership!
Old 4th November 2010, 16:12   #4
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Spyking for the new ride. A very good choice of car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyking View Post
Anyway, Then mom and dad spoke and decided if we going as far as 6.5, might as well stretch and get the fully loaded i20 Asta crdi.
Asta CRDI had a On-Road price of Rs. 8.02 Lakhs when i checked it three weeks back. What was the price you paid? Any free bees?

The expression on his face was such bliss! We drove from Thiruvanmiyur to the ECR toll gate, all the while in 6th gear, with his foot of the accelerator. She just cruses at 60 in 6th and at this rpm, the turbo is just beginning to spool! He keeps calling it cruise control, saying he just has to steer the car!
At 60kmph in 6th, the on-board computer would have suggested to downshift.
Wish you many miles of safe & happy driving
Old 4th November 2010, 17:23   #5
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Man.
The car looks realy nice , and i must say to increase the budget from 4 lacs to almost 8.5lacs needs a lots of thinking.
Apart from figo was there any other car that were considered, like the punto or any other .
Also let us know about the on road price and any offer/discounts .

Cheers Mate and drive safe .
Old 4th November 2010, 17:57   #6
BHPian

Congrats Spyking,
Your Chiquita looks good in Silver!
Are those wheel covers ? I thought the top-end version would have come with alloys.
Old 4th November 2010, 18:12   #7
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations spyking on your Hyundai i20.

How about taking you car to a beautiful spot to take the pics? Yes, I'm waiting for the picture!

Wish you many many happy miles with your new car. Make sure that you always wear your seat-belts and drive safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigid Rotor View Post
Are those wheel covers ? I thought the top-end version would have come with alloys.
They're alloys for sure.

Amith
Old 4th November 2010, 19:26   #8
BHPian

Thanks everyone

@MAS : we got it finally for 7.97 with sunfilm, anti-rust, teflon and seat-covers free They don't give discounts to people generally, dad knew the owner of the dealership, hence got a little extra. And about the onboard computer, yeah, at times it was suggesting to shift into 3rd at about 55. The engine didn't seem to be struggling though. Are we doing something wrong? casue she was cruzing along just fine with no accelerator input at 60 in 6th!

@Schoudhury Yeah! I really do have to thank mom for that! And well, the Punto was a contender too, but never got to the test-drive stage as dad was very unhappy with the A.S.S Polo, wasn't familiar with VW A.s.s and didn't want to be the guinea pigs

@Rigid Rotor Thanks! It was choice between the gray(heart) and this(head), They are std OE alloys! They seem to have a plate to cover the lug nuts though.

@Klub Class Yep Yep! Those were just phone pics, The Dsl will come out soon! And, the she MAKES sure you wear the seatbelt! 20 beeps otherwise, so we always belt up.
Old 5th November 2010, 03:17   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

What RPM does it do 60 in 6th?
Generally, one should avoid a very low rpm to keep the engine from lugging.
Personally, I like the rpm to be over 1300 minimum in each gear.
Old 6th November 2010, 12:28   #10
BHPian

^^ I just got back from a trip with 5 people and the AC on, with this much load, she wasn't comfortable at 60Kmph in 6th.. She was however, quite happy to do the same in 5th..

And with no ac and no load, 60Kmph @6th is ~1200 rpm and there is no lugging!
Old 6th November 2010, 13:30   #11
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the car man. That is one hot hatch you have got yourself !! Wishing you many more happy miles with it
Old 6th November 2010, 15:49   #12
BHPian

Congrats Spyking, way to go, started with a 4-5 Lakh budget and ended up getting what your heart desired!

The i20 CRDi is a car that I just loved during our test drive/hunting sessions. Except for the lack of steering feedback, it was a hoot to drive and the engine is no doubt a power horse and the best in the segment in terms of both refinement and raw power.

If it were not for the generic issues faced by the i20s, we would have certainly gone for the CRDi (Magna), since the engine is just so great!

Hope your car stays niggle free. Hyundai have finally started acting in terms of the AC and the steering column issues. Have a great time with your car
Old 6th November 2010, 22:03   #13
BHPian

Congratulation Spyking, hope my posts during your buying experience was helpful.
What make is the tyre and what are your plans for accessories?
Could you please post some pictures of the interiors?
Would like to see the seat covers and the tint provided by the dealer.
Are they branded and please provide the spec.

HC
Old 9th November 2010, 17:46   #14
BHPian

Hey HC, yeah! They were very helpful!

Tyres are Apollo Acelere and come with a 3yr warranty.

The seat covers are the OE beige ones provided by the dealers for the i20 (it has the i20 logo embroidered in the front)
The tint is only on the sides and on the back and the dealer said it was garware.

I shall take a few more pics after my exam.

One bit of sad news though, I got a scratch. On the left corner of the hood. That to it was on the first day. I hadn't yet removed the ribbons and the garland and we went out after dinner to celebrate, Someone has with a key, made a 2inch scratch on the hood. :(
Old 10th November 2010, 16:27   #15
BHPian

spyking, Congrats and have a happy and safe drive.
From which dealer did you take the delivery.. i took my i20 CRDi form Express. How was the service and what are the offers you got?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks