performance.
ride
ac
high speed manners
very comfortable on long drives.
allmost everything about it.
what i dont like-
still thinking.
but sometimes i think am using outdated car.(but who cares untill it put smile on my face everytime i drive it)
so planning to modify it step by step.
Love happens only once..my Baleno Altura-09022010193.jpg

Love happens only once..my Baleno Altura-09022010194.jpg
procircuit_234 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th November 2010, 05:34   #2
Senior - BHPian

maybe a body kit like this..
Attached Thumbnails
Love happens only once..my Baleno Altura-baleno-copy2.jpg  

Old 6th November 2010, 08:11   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hi Procircuit,

This will probably be the first ownership review of a Baleno Altura on tbhp. The Altura was one of my personal favourite cars which sadly got discontinued far before I had the dough to buy one. Though a competent car in every aspect, the car didn't become so much of a commercial success. It was far ahead of its time considering the mindset of Indian car buyers then.

In July 2001, Autocar India carried out a comparison test between 3 estate cars sold in India - The Baleno Altura, the Fiat Siena Weekend (remember it, anyone?) and the Opel Corsa Swing. Since most of the members who'll view this thread have not seen an Altura in detail, let alone drive it, I thought giving them some excerpts from that test about the Altura will help set a stage for what you're about to review.

Please feel free to delete this post if you feel applicable.

1. Styling - The Altura is the Estate version of the Baleno and it looks better than the car it is based on. The wraparound flush mounted rear wind-screen gives it an expensive and upmarket look. If the Weekend is chunky and the Swing cute, the Altura looks classy. The well shaped tail lamps and the very attractive front end help make it the best looking estate car here. The independent strut front and four link suspension have been specifically tuned by Maruti engineers for Indian roads. The springs are taller and the ride more pliant as a result. Japanese designers always try and keep the kerb weight of a car as low as possible for reasons of performance, and this is clearly demonstrated when a comparison of kerb weight is made. Despite easily being the largest car here, the Altura is also the lightest by a fair margin.

2. Interiors - The Altura is typically Japanese, comfortable but understated. Dials are clear and stalks and buttons function efficiently, but their functioning is not as well damped as those on the Opel. And though the sliding control look ancient, the airflow is directed by electrically operated push buttons, a nice touch. What lets the Altura down are the plastics and the trim quality, which just don't feel worthy of a car in this price bracket. Also missing is a parcel tray or any sort of cover for the luggage area, which Maruti should have provided as standard fitment.

Dimensionally, the Altura is the most generous with the rear bench being the widest in the upper midsize segment. The seat is wide, nicely raked and supportive in the right places. In addition you have decent legroom available, and this, along with the pliant nature of the suspension, means the Altura is a good contender for chauffeur driven transportation. While the loading bay is amongst the largest here, the strut towers of the suspension reduce the usable space considerably.

Engine - Generous amounts of torque is something the Altura's long stroke motor also has in abundance. In fact the lighter weight and the 13 kgm of torque available all the way up from 2500rpm means the Suzuki is no slouch. The healthy torque means you rarely need all the rpm, unless you're in a real hurry. Whilst the motor is extremely smooth at idle, extend the engine past 4500 and the note harshens considerably, a buzzy resonance present till you shift a gear and drop the rpm of the engine. But don't get us wrong - like all Suzuki motors this one revels in being pushed hard. And thats the great part about this motor - it will perform just as well at low or high rpm. As a result, load hauling is also no sweat, the loaded Altura pulling like its got much more than 1590cc at its disposal. Driving an unloaded Altura in the city is a breeze. Just select third gear once you're past 20Ks, and drive in semi automatic mode all the way to 100ks. Who need an auto anyway?

Ride & Handling - The Altura's ride is superb as well, the handiwork of Maruti's engineers who have fine tuned the suspension. Except for a jiggly low speed ride on poor surfaces, the Altura's ability to cope with bad roads is equally impressive. What lets the show down are the wimpy 165/80 R13 tyres, too tall and too narrow to give the Altura the true dynamic capabilities it deserves.

An Estate car the size of an Altura, we believe, needs a wider footprint, especially with all the weight hanging over the rear wheels when fully loaded. Ground clearance is a problem with both the Weekend and Altura when fully loaded and scraping the underbody on a large speedbreaker is all too easy.

Fuel Efficiency - The Altura wins here easily beating its rivals in both our city and highway cycles. We achieved an impressive figure of 10.3 kmpl in the city and 12.7 kmpl in the highway, with just 2 passengers on board and no luggage.

The Altura's superb efficiency is offset by high purchase cost, and if you're looking for low running costs, it makes sense to consider the more frugal Swing 1.4 or the diesel Siena Weekend

There, magazine review given, now we're waiting for your personal review on this beauty!
predatorwheelz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2010, 16:01   #4
BHPian

one of your statements says it all, that the car puts a smile on your face. That's what a car should do!
Old 7th November 2010, 00:45   #5
BHPian

the car is complete package.as they say old is gold.and its one of its kind.

Last edited by procircuit_234 : 7th November 2010 at 00:48.
Old 7th November 2010, 03:20   #6
Senior - BHPian

Procircuit, you own one of the rare cars in India. I congratulate you for being a proud owner of the same.

I know you have got more pictures to share with us. Keep them coming.

Please do keep us updated on the modifications.

Always wear your seatbelt and drive safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
This will probably be the first ownership review of a Baleno Altura on tbhp.
I'm sorry to say that you got it wrong. This is not the first ownership review of Maruti Baleno Altura on T-BHP.

Here are some reviews :

Amith

Last edited by Klub Class : 7th November 2010 at 03:24. Reason: Fixed the links.
Old 7th November 2010, 10:00   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
Procircuit, you own one of the rare cars in India. I congratulate you for being a proud owner of the same.

I know you have got more pictures to share with us. Keep them coming.

Please do keep us updated on the modifications.

Always wear your seatbelt and drive safe.

I'm sorry to say that you got it wrong. This is not the first ownership review of Maruti Baleno Altura on T-BHP.

Here are some reviews :Amith
thank you klub class.planning for bumper repaint and numberplate replacement first.will post more pics soon.
Old 23rd February 2011, 23:59   #8
BHPian

re: Love happens only once..my Baleno Altura

Love happens only once..my Baleno Altura-img_2275.jpg
got bumpers painted and number plates changed.
procircuit_234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2011, 01:00   #9
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm a big fan of the Baleno and the Altura. My dentist uses a black Baleno Altura and the car is in pristine condition. Even now the car turns enough heads in my colony than even a Merc C or a BMW 3.

Beautiful estate. Great ride mate !!
Old 24th February 2011, 03:12   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

I've never even touched an Altura, but I just adore the way, its rear 3/4 looks. Its too sophisticated. And I'm sure there is oodles of space in there for that perfect weekend getaway.

Congrats on the ownership mate!.

Do update us on the mods you are planning.

Last edited by dhanushs : 24th February 2011 at 03:54.
Old 2nd March 2011, 21:07   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
I'm a big fan of the Baleno and the Altura. My dentist uses a black Baleno Altura and the car is in pristine condition. Even now the car turns enough heads in my colony than even a Merc C or a BMW 3.

Beautiful estate. Great ride mate !!
yes i have got rare machine!c and 3s are common these days.
Old 7th April 2011, 23:24   #12
BHPian

my baby needs clutch replacement..should i consider performance clutch and pressure plates?as for now my car is stock.but planing for FFE,headers and porting and polishing in future.or just stock clutch will suffice?
Old 7th November 2011, 00:35   #13
BHPian

new clutch,pressure plate,flywheel..still my baleno vibrates!

i have 2004 model baleno altura.done 75k.recently i changed my clutch plate,pressure plate,flywheel,cable(all MGP)i didnt change the bearing as it was in good condition and the new one costs 1800!!all the work done was in front of my eyes.the car has improved for sure but still there are significant vibrations while releasing clutch.now what are the other things to be checked???
procircuit_234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2011, 02:18   #14
BHPian

Re: new clutch,pressure plate,flywheel..still my baleno vibrates!

Change the bearing. It must have done that together with all other parts. If that is not working you can check also the flywheels.
Old 7th November 2011, 07:19   #15
Senior - BHPian

Re: new clutch,pressure plate,flywheel..still my baleno vibrates!

Quote:
Originally Posted by procircuit_234 View Post
changed my clutch plate,pressure plate,flywheel,cable(all MGP)i didnt change the bearing as it was in good condition and the new one costs 1800!!all the work done was in front of my eyes.the car has improved for sure but still there are significant vibrations while releasing clutch.now what are the other things to be checked???
Is the vibration only on first gear at the time of starting or on all the gears? Also when you say vibrates is it like engine jerks while moving forward or general body shuddering.

More description will help, in my case the drive shaft teeth had gone bad and had to be replaced before they went bad the car used to shudder in all the gears. Have you replaced the drive shaft (as per my knowledge they last 70-80K Kms.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks