Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2010, 17:11   #46
BHPian

Congrats on your acquisition, magnanimousdude! The Punto looks classy in Bossa Nova White.

Nice pictures too - Pic 2 is especially cool! I guess the Punto's charm makes your grandma want to drive it too.
Old 17th November 2010, 22:36   #47
BHPian

Wow! First of all, hearty congratulation for owning Fiat Punto

I really liked the pictures. The pic of your Grandma holding the steering wheels looks seriously awesome.

She must have grown up seeing Premier Padminis and HM Ambassadors during her early days. So, I bet that your Grandma is a hardcore Fiat fan

Do drive your car safe and keep us updated.

Best Regards,
Surviving Brain
Old 17th November 2010, 22:41   #48
BHPian

@magnanimousdude!

This is what I am following
1st Gear - till 15kmph arround 2250 rpm
2nd Gear - till 30kmph arround 2000 rpm
3rd Gear - till 50kmph arround 1500rpm
4th Gear - till 70kmph arround 2000rpm
5th Gear - after 70kmph@ 2500rpm

Note:- These are only my views and driving habits and anyone not following this is also my friend
Old 17th November 2010, 22:47   #49
Senior - BHPian

@magnanimousdude!

My father drives Fiat Punto 1.3 MJD. He shifts up at around 2250 - 2500 RPM and down the gear when the RPM drops below 1300 RPM.

When driving spiritedly, he shifts up at around 3500 RPM and shifts down when the RPM drops below 2200 RPM

PS: I'm yet to receive my driving license and that's why I'm posting my father's driving habits.

Amith
Old 18th November 2010, 14:39   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindoc View Post
Nice pictures too - Pic 2 is especially cool! I guess the Punto's charm makes your grandma want to drive it too.
yes she did liked the Punto charm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surviving Brain View Post
I really liked the pictures. The pic of your Grandma holding the steering wheels looks seriously awesome.

She must have grown up seeing Premier Padminis and HM Ambassadors during her early days. So, I bet that your Grandma is a hardcore Fiat fan
Thanks and yes she was married to an Automobile Engineer. Yes my Grandpa is an automobile engineer who was running his own garage where in Ambassadors, Padmini moutain climbers (in which the clutch acts as a second brake) she has seen more apart from lorry and tractors. She was amazed with this car and so do my grandpa. the moment he saw the car, he didnt look for the charm rather he asked me to open the bonnet and checked the sound of the engine and others finally certified that this engine is BEST IN CLASS. He used to say me FIAT IS ALWAYS FIAT. He is now 89 . He said me if i am hale and healthy now i would have tunned this particular engine so that it will give you 18kmpl in city with A/C but unfortunately his ears are losing its sharpness...

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
@magnanimousdude!

This is what I am following
1st Gear - till 15kmph arround 2250 rpm
2nd Gear - till 30kmph arround 2000 rpm
3rd Gear - till 50kmph arround 1500rpm
4th Gear - till 70kmph arround 2000rpm
5th Gear - after 70kmph@ 2500rpm
Thanks asdon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
@magnanimousdude!

My father drives Fiat Punto 1.3 MJD. He shifts up at around 2250 - 2500 RPM and down the gear when the RPM drops below 1300 RPM.

When driving spiritedly, he shifts up at around 3500 RPM and shifts down when the RPM drops below 2200 RPM

PS: I'm yet to receive my driving license and that's why I'm posting my father's driving habits.

Amith
ah! thanks man, by the ways get your license and drive the car which is always safe.
Old 18th November 2010, 22:44   #51
BHPian

REGARDING GEAR SHIFTS
while puttering around in city usually upshift before turbo kicks in i.e @1800 rpm
so corresponding speeds would be
1st Gear - till 15kmph
2nd Gear - till 30kmph
3rd Gear - till 50kmph
4th Gear - till 60kmph
point is just dont lug the engine.notice first two gears will be very short so upshift quick before a longish burst in 3rd followed again by short shifts in next two.once you up the momentum 5th will be fine in city even as low as 50kph.this will ensure max economy
However in highways upshifting 2500 rpm gives steady acceleration.no point in revving beyond 3500 though.
Old 19th November 2010, 14:57   #52
BHPian

@aditya116, Ya got it mate and thanks for your suggessions, one more doubt

Is there a ways to reduce the size of the Radio antenna? i feel its too Long, do we have any settings to strink the size?
Old 29th November 2010, 15:49   #53
BHPian

Got Home the Angel: Fiat Punto MJD Bosso Nova White Emotion Pack: 1300KM Update

Hello Guys,

I am back with my latest updates, Sorry to have not keeping in touch

Small Glimpse about my car!!! ( just for the people who see this thread for the first time!)

1. My Car - Fiat Punto MJD Bosso Nova White Emotion Pack
2. Got my Car delivery on the day of Diwali (Nov 5th)
3. its been 24 days so far

Niggles so far:

1. Wheel Whobbling above 85kmph ( need to check it )
2. Had a confusion about the Performance issue but i verified it with some ratios and techinical aspect, found there was NO Performance issue.
3. Hissing noise.

My Review:

Since Nov 5th till now i am a very happy and a satisfied customer/Owner. Every moment i drive my car there is a smile on my face, either or the other by some means. either by performance or by features or by ride quality or by confortablity or by suspensions. Now that i have crossed 1300km with my long drive to Pondy via GST and ECR, it is a pleaure to drive the vehicle. During my 1300km Tenure here is what i have observed.

Driving, confortablity, handling of Fiat Punto has been discussed to death in this forum so i am not going to touch those areas

Turbo Lag & performance:

This car is really made for what it has to deliver and to achive!!! yes the turbo works excellently after 1750rmp, no matter @ what speed and gear. to check the performance and the Turbo here is a small test that you can perform. Drive alone the car, for the people who maintain the car not more than 2000rmp till the Run in state. 3rd gear @ 2000rmp will reach to the speed of 40kmph. 4rd gear @ 2000rmp will reach to the speed of 60kmph. 5rd gear @ 2000rmp will reach to the speed of 80kmph. This should be same with the AC and without AC (With Full load and without Full load). This is the simple test test i performed to check the Performance and MY car Passed the test

Engine and Noise levels:

The engine is absolutely Super. there was some noise before 1000km inside the cabin and when i took my car to long drive i could notice the Noise level is reduced. AC-ON, music-ON and @ 90 or 100kmph i could notice almost no Noise. without music and ac @ same speed very less noise. after driving for almsot 2 hours non-stop, i took and break, just thought of checking the heat radition touching the bonnet. I was very surpised and fainted that the Bonnet was chill!!! the sides of the Bonnet felt the heat. Good Thermal Packing!!! Kudos to the team who did it.

Mileage:

I was getting 13~15 inside city with AC where in i can drive only with 20~30kmph speed. these figures i got it in initial 1000km, When i plan for the Long trip i decided to take the vehicle Without AC for the TO trip and with AC for FRO trip so that i can get some good understanding about Highways mileage. The figures are

Without AC on Higways: 23kmpl driving below 100kmph
With AC on Highways: 20kmph driving below 100kmph

Note: Last time when i took my car to higways for a short trip to mahabalipuram i got the FE of 17kmpl with AC. So there has been some considerable increase in FE after 1000km

On the higways:

Dead Pedal is Boon, Music volume increases according to speed, wiper Interm works superbly according to speed. The thirst for cruising never ends, i managed to take the car till 2500rmp where you will reach 100kmph, the thirst was still more... I felt more confortable driving with Seat Belts .

So far satisifed with the Performance and the agile of this Car.

Now the Other part!!!

Whobbling & issues:

My car starts whobbling Exactly after 85 or 90kmph, i can feel the steering shake, its horribe to drive with that shake. really dont know whether it could be wheel balancing issue or it could be tyre issue (mine is GoodYear Tyres). Another issue is while on Plains when i brake its very good and no sound but when on slops, expecially on steeps when i brake i can feel that as if the wheel gets loosen up and i can hear a "Tak" Sound. I dont know whether its a good sign or Bad sign!!!. Still the hissing noise from the fuel tank pressure valve continues, i have done several tank to tank fill ups. Please through some light on this guys!!!

Questions:

1. Can i take the car to a nearest private wheel alignment center for the check up? will it void the warranty???
2. What about this hissing noise, any idea?
3. have any one undergone with this type of whobbling issues and the solutions are?
Old 29th November 2010, 16:07   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnanimousdude View Post
Questions:

1. Can i take the car to a nearest private wheel alignment center for the check up? will it void the warranty???
3. have any one undergone with this type of whobbling issues and the solutions are?
1. Why do you want to take it to the alignment center when the A.S.S guys do it free of cost, a part of the free service.

2. It might just be the turbo whistle. However, get it checked at the A.S.S

3. Sorry, cannot comment on this.

Cheers.
Old 29th November 2010, 16:23   #55
BHPian

@nkrishnap,

I checked with the Fiat Service Station and they said it will take atleast one week to check the car as their reservation is full and if i come with the car the car will be parked outside as there is no space. Actually there is NO good response from V.S.T Motors Fiat Service :( Bad. That is the reason i thought of checking it outside for this wheel alignment (to save more time probably in days as i cannot be without car). Will this viod the warranty?
Old 29th November 2010, 18:20   #56
BHPian

Quote:
@nkrishnap,

I checked with the Fiat Service Station and they said it will take atleast one week to check the car as their reservation is full and if i come with the car the car will be parked outside as there is no space. Actually there is NO good response from V.S.T Motors Fiat Service :( Bad. That is the reason i thought of checking it outside for this wheel alignment (to save more time probably in days as i cannot be without car). Will this viod the warranty?
NO. I wont void warranty. Wheels alignment and balancing are done better at exclsuive shops than the TASC
Old 29th November 2010, 19:22   #57
BHPian

@Soccerfan,

Thanks, i am skeptical about the warranty issue only. That is the reason i asked people.

Moreover can anyone let me know about the RUN IN Period for Punto Diesel. Tips of taking the RMP in RUNIN Period?
Old 29th November 2010, 22:09   #58
BHPian

MDude,
I am about to take delivery of my MJD on 1st december from VST Motors.

1. Did you get the car cover at the time of delivery. These guys say it ll take 10 days.

2. Did you get any tefon/anti-rust/under body coating done from these guys. If yes then how was it?

3. "Bad service"
Old 30th November 2010, 09:07   #59
BHPian

@Rubbertramps,

VST motors is good,expecially Mr. Rama Rao & Fazil. But what is the problem is you will have to follow like anything to get your work done. i bought my car on Nov 5th and yersterday only they have called and informed that they have got the Car cover and it will be delivered to you.( my freebies are sun film, mudflop,car cover, and floor mates). That time i had asked under body rust coating and teflon polish. Rust coating i believe its costlier for them but they could have given the teflon coating. till the very last min they said they will do the teflon coating but they didnt. to be frank they didnt even wipe/clean the car properly. So to get things done from them please follow it up. Bad service i quotted for Service station of VST motors as they said it will take nearly 1 week to check the car to know what exact the issue is, if at all you bring the car we will have to park it outside only as we are flooding with cars as of now ( if they cannot accomadate and if they cannot check the issue why are they having service stations? FIAT wake up)

Last edited by magnanimousdude : 30th November 2010 at 09:10.
Old 30th November 2010, 09:54   #60
BHPian

Reply to Questions

Quote:

Questions:

Hi magnanimousdude

1. Go ahead and take your car to a private wheel alignment center and get it aligned. It wont void warranty for sure.

2. We have never had hissing noise from our Puntos. Something to check with TASC. It could be a minor screw tightening issue as of now. Stay there and get it corrected before it causes any other issue

3. Punto is known for its stability and have touched 150kms/hour and there was absolutely no wobbling or steering vibration. I had this issue once when one of my tire got punctured due to bad roads and I ran the car with a patched tyre. At speeds of 80km/hour there was wobbling in the car. The next day I went and changed all 4 tyres to Yoko C-drive and got the wheel alignment and balancing done. The car was back to its original self again. So I am pretty much sure you should be ok once you do the wheel alignment and balancing in your car

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks