Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2010, 15:50   #61
BHPian

@gopikb,

Thanks for your comments and suggessions. I spoke to the dealer and he said please hold on the wheel balancing and alignment as it could void your warranty! Anyways he said that he will cehck and get back to me. i was shocked. By the way was is hard or to reach the 150kmph mark? or you reached it in No time? what was the rmp showed @ that time when it was cruising at that speed!.

I have one more doubt. What is the RUN IN period for Punto MJD? i have crossed 1400km by now and after 1000km only i managed to take it beyond 200rmp till 2500rmp before 1000km i never took it above 2000rmp.

So my questions are.

1. Do i need to wait for futher more KMs on my ODO to cruise?
2. What is the RUN IN Period
3. after 1000km, till what RMP i can take my car?

Guys i think you can get my point!!!
Old 1st December 2010, 21:06   #62
Senior - BHPian

Answers to your queries!

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnanimousdude View Post
By the way was is hard to reach the 150kmph mark? or you reached it in No time? what was the rmp showed @ that time when it was cruising at that speed!.
IIRC, Fiat Punto does 150km/hr somewhere around 3.75k - 4k RPM.

Quote:
1. Do i need to wait for futher more KMs on my ODO to cruise?
Pardon me, I didn't get you!

Quote:
2. What is the RUN IN Period
The Fiat Punto owner's manual does not mention about run-in-period. Moreover, most of the modern engines are pre-run and may not need running in. And yes, Fiat Punto is no different.

IIRC, transmission, tires etc needs running in. Correct me, if wrong.

PS: The Premier Padmini / HM Ambassador type of running in is not needed for engines anymore.

Quote:
3. after 1000km, till what RMP i can take my car?
We had religiously followed the 'running-in' during the first 3k kms.I mean, we kept the engine running below 2k RPM most of the time.

Even then, we had revved the engine hard during few occasions.During those days, my father had revved till 3.75 RPM when a reckless private bus owner was tailgating us.

EDIT: It is RPM and not RMP. RPM stands for 'Revolutions per minute'.

Last edited by Klub Class : 1st December 2010 at 21:08.
Old 3rd December 2010, 11:39   #63
BHPian

@Klub Class / To ALL BHPians:

Thanks for your answers, sorry for the mistyping RMP instead of RPM.

I understand and went to the internet to find about the runin of the Punto, some says that the Run in is not required and some play it safe with runin. I investigated a bit and come with a solution that it might need runin as you can see the below image, where it says
"When the car is new, the engine needs to run in, therefore the engine oil consumption can only be considered stabilised after the first 5,000 - 6,000 km." this particular lines were taken from the Punto Owners manual under section ENGINE OIL CONSUMPTION".

If i read between the lines i could find some interesting fact.

1. When the Car is New the Engine needs runin, which means IT needs Run IN ( Controversial Points, if the FIAT says that it does not need run in they shouldn't have put these lines, as they would already have done those things)

2. Techinically why engine OIL consumption is increasing: When The engine is new, the Piston and Piston Rings wouldn't have got the fexiblity and the carbon deposit wouldn't have happened. it need run in for those things to happen. When the Piston and Piston rings are New they certainly develop some clearence between the piston ring and the walls through which the engine OIL enters the cylinder(not fully) and the burning area by which the Engine OIL gets its level decreased(This is the fact why we say Engine OIL level gets decreased during initial RUNIN) and the fuel consumption is LOW becasue of the OIL burning with the fuel ( some new car outputs some smoke as well, this is the reason behind it). After the RUNIN, there is certainly NO CLEARENCE between the piston rings and the walls by which, the OIL level stays as it is and the Fuel is alone burnt by which we get the full power of the engine ( this is the reason why engineers says that all diesel and petrol engine needs to complete certain KMs to deliver its full torque and power) and this is the another reson why any service station engineer or automobile engineer says after 10K km the fuel consumption will be constant until which then will be fluctuation in the FE. So this again Proves why FIAT explicitly given this particular ENGINE OIL CONSUMPTION topic in Manual. This proves it. to my understanding and from the theory i believe the RUN IN period for FIAT PUNTO Diesel as per FIAT Single "ENGINE OIL CONSUMPTION " is 5K ~ 6K km. I believe all TBHPians accept this!!!

Now People what would you say? FIAT Manual INDEED says it needs run but in indirect way. or
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Punto MJD Boso Nova White : 8000km Update-runin.jpg  

Last edited by magnanimousdude : 3rd December 2010 at 11:50.
Old 3rd December 2010, 20:14   #64
BHPian

@mdude - For your left pulling issue take it any Tyre alignment centre, It seems a little strange that VST Motors SA told that you can't do it outside. I was informed by a SA that they actually get it done from Lals. Lal's if I'm right is on the Whites Road and they have branch in Gopalapuram as well.

I got my alignment done yesterday for Rs350/- which includes further alignment done for free at the next 2500 Kms & 5000 Kms.
Old 3rd December 2010, 20:59   #65
BHPian

170 is the max I've reached
Old 4th December 2010, 16:13   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teky View Post
@mdude - For your left pulling issue take it any Tyre alignment centre, It seems a little strange that VST Motors SA told that you can't do it outside. I was informed by a SA that they actually get it done from Lals. Lal's if I'm right is on the Whites Road and they have branch in Gopalapuram as well.

I got my alignment done yesterday for Rs350/- which includes further alignment done for free at the next 2500 Kms & 5000 Kms.
Thanks, by the ways my vehicle is wobbling when i drive pass 85kmph and not pulling towards the left. Sure will do the Wheel alignment in lal's itself.
Old 5th December 2010, 12:06   #67
BHPian

I went to lal's Alignment center in Whites road yersterday, asked for the wheel balancing and alignment. they did it and to my surpise i was changed Rs.950 . still i am not able to digest the amount which i paid for it!! four wheels balancing 600 and alignment 350. after i drive and take home i could feel that the steering is slightly tilted towards its left side (vehicle goes in straight line) now where do i go and Hit myself
Old 5th December 2010, 23:30   #68
BHPian

Today i did a round trip of 160km, nice drive and awesome experience, it was dark after 6 pm today, switched on the Head Lights in the higways. The headlights performance on Higways was very poor (that too it was raining in chennai here). Litterly i couldn't see any potholes or patches on the road, if there is anyother light other than my headlights i couldn't notice anything. Only when there is complete darkness on the road or in other words when i dont see anyother headlights or other lights i could notice my headlight :(. the stock headlights are horrible. please suggest me some nice headlights! meanswhile confirm me if i change my headlights would it viod the warranty? ( why i am asking this is i read in our site that for a swift car, the SA denied changing things in engine resulting that your warranty is viod becasue you change the headlights , if i am not wrong the swift car is facing some issues related to the Engine Oil leaking stuff)
Old 6th December 2010, 00:24   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Today i did a round trip of 160km, nice drive and awesome experience, it was dark after 6 pm today, switched on the Head Lights in the higways. The headlights performance on Higways was very poor (that too it was raining in chennai here). Litterly i couldn't see any potholes or patches on the road, if there is anyother light other than my headlights i couldn't notice anything. Only when there is complete darkness on the road or in other words when i dont see anyother headlights or other lights i could notice my headlight :(. the stock headlights are horrible. please suggest me some nice headlights! meanswhile confirm me if i change my headlights would it viod the warranty? ( why i am asking this is i read in our site that for a swift car, the SA denied changing things in engine resulting that your warranty is viod becasue you change the headlights , if i am not wrong the swift car is facing some issues related to the Engine Oil leaking stuff)
I too was facing the same problem. For some reason the 60 /55 W Headlamps of the Punto are not at all powerful and safe. The Alto too has the same ones and they seem to be okay.
I have now upgraded to Hella 100*95 Headlamps with a relay and the visibility has increased phenomenally. The headlamps now are very bright, and clear. I have head people say that the 100/95 halogens generate too much heat for the headlamp assembly to handle. I have used it for a week now and I haven't seen it heat that much.
I am not sure if this upgrade will void my warranty or not but I feel that the value my safety is more than the warranty.
Old 6th December 2010, 08:17   #70
BHPian

As long as ur not fidling with the original wiring no way can the warranty can get void.
Also u can look into goin in for HID's, though expensive come in quite handy and if u wish to go further, wht better than projectors
Old 6th December 2010, 08:52   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Go for Phillips Xtreme Power, no need to change wiring, it comes as 60/55w, I am using it and belive me the performance is great. Don't use HIDs without projector lense, thats illegal, and if you want to put lense lot many things has to be replaced(costly affair too).
Old 6th December 2010, 12:44   #72
BHPian

MDude,
My vehicle has a peculiar wobbling issue. I can feel the wobble at 50 to 60 and after 70 there is no wobbling. Anyways went to VST chennai today. The service guys asked me to do the wheel alignment at LAL's. I refused and there is an appointment on wednesday for me. Will VST charge for the same?

I have crossed 1000 kms till now. Its been 5 days since i took delivery and never took it beyond 2k. Lets see what happens. The mileage on the Chennai-bangalore highway was 26 kmpl. I seriously doubt that. After we made the manual calculations it came around 21 kmpl. A +5 error. Any experiences like this ?
Old 6th December 2010, 22:04   #73
BHPian

@Rubbertramps,

Whobbling is whobbling, it happes with the bad tyres weights. this happens only when the weight mismatches, this weight mismatch may happen @ 40kmph or 50 or 90 or 120 even (not necessaryly the numbers which i had mentioned it can happen @ any speed). but not after it!!! so i suspect once you get the wheel alignment and wheel balancing done, there is no issues for you, by the way lal charges 950 for alignment and balancing and got to tip even the assitance ( i paid 950 inside AC room and 30 outside) and more informations when you take the car to the service stations you can get it done freely, i mean yes in VST motors it can be done free of cost.

@ All,

I am planning for Phillips xtreme Vision 60/55W (next version of Phillips X-treamPower) any suggessions please
Old 7th December 2010, 06:51   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I went to lal's Alignment center in Whites road yersterday, asked for the wheel balancing and alignment. they did it and to my surpise i was changed Rs.950 . still i am not able to digest the amount which i paid for it!! four wheels balancing 600 and alignment 350. after i drive and take home i could feel that the steering is slightly tilted towards its left side (vehicle goes in straight line) now where do i go and Hit myself
Why don't you take your car to them (lal's) again and get it re-aligned? Usually they give 90 day warranty for the wheel alignment. Just check with them.
Old 7th December 2010, 10:53   #75
BHPian

@rameshnanda,

Yes, i thought of it the next day itself but what to do, rather taking the car and halting it in the middle of flooded road and BIGGG POTHOLES is better than keeping it and doing it after some time

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks