Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2010, 22:46   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
So Maruti sells the new WagonR K10 in CNG and the old model in LPG (duo).
Yes, to the best of my knowledge, when the K10 Wagon R was launched, the earlier generation Wagon R was fully discontinued, including the Duo version. But due to popular demand and also because of increasing competition, Maruti restarted the earlier generation Wagon R Duo.

Also, in our Wagon R, we are yet to remove the plastic seat where its written YR9 LXi. So YR9 = New Wagon R.
Old 30th November 2010, 04:06   #17
Senior - BHPian

@aggoswami

Presuming that at the time of your purchase both the LPG and the CNG versions of the Wagon were available which one would you have picked. Given your existing experience with CNG (your M 800) especially in view of the perceived technical advantages of LPG over CNG and the actual market situation in terms of price+mileage difference / ease of availability for the two gases. Usage being the same what with mostly city driving with occasional highway runs.
Old 30th November 2010, 20:25   #18
Senior - BHPian

@ aggoswami > thanks for a very very practical and useable ownership review. i will be buying the waggie in a months time and was looking for a practical ownership review and yours nails it spot on.

One question > How practical is it to buy the Vxi over the Lxi ? Is it worth the extra features for the price ?
Note, im not buying the cng version.
Old 2nd December 2010, 20:58   #19

Really useful review...I'll come up with one too...I must say, MSIL has done some really clever targetted product development. They kept their diesel product line up intact and very smartly went CNG for models preferred by high usage city drivers.
Old 7th January 2011, 22:59   #20
Senior - BHPian

re: Maruti Wagon R CNG Review, 31,000 kms update and first breakdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
@aggoswami

Presuming that at the time of your purchase both the LPG and the CNG versions of the Wagon were available which one would you have picked. Given your existing experience with CNG (your M 800) especially in view of the perceived technical advantages of LPG over CNG and the actual market situation in terms of price+mileage difference / ease of availability for the two gases. Usage being the same what with mostly city driving with occasional highway runs.
I feel that CNG is better with the technology getting better.
CNG is also lighter than air and hence safer. We have been using CNG since long in M800 so were sure about this company fitted stuff.
LPG does not give out as good efficiency as CNG IMO. About performance drop for normal usage, well, this K10 CNG Waggie is much better in CNG mode than F10D LPG run Waggie.

I suggest you test drive both to get more feel out of the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
@ aggoswami > thanks for a very very practical and useable ownership review. i will be buying the waggie in a months time and was looking for a practical ownership review and yours nails it spot on.

One question > How practical is it to buy the Vxi over the Lxi ? Is it worth the extra features for the price ?
Note, im not buying the cng version.
Hi Jay, my view are :

1) Thanks for appreciation.
2) VXi is better any given day. We ended up on LXi only because of CNG. Next, we had to install 19K work accessories specially the audio which my father believes is better for warranty, etc. and is better fit.

VXi has much better things like 4 power windows which are quite practical. If I am not wrong, you do get ABS as an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankcase View Post
Really useful review...I'll come up with one too...I must say, MSIL has done some really clever targetted product development. They kept their diesel product line up intact and very smartly went CNG for models preferred by high usage city drivers.
Yes, its a very smart move by Suzuki and practical too. And the best thing they have done is proper engineering and testing. I rarely feel loss of power in CNG mode as compared to Petrol mode.

Update for 5.4K kms.

I met with an accident on 7th dec 2010 which was a bit bad crash and I think I was doing pretty good speed on bike ( considering the damage the bike has taken ). My exams were from 20th dec to 30th dec., hence could not reply or update this thread.

1) I am using this car since 20th dec in place of my bike. I must say that this car is one of the best in city driving mostly due to car occupying less real estate on the road.

2) Suspension needs a special mention here. Very nice suspension setup for city driving. At very low speeds there is stiffness for sure, but after that the suspension is less audible and does the job pretty well for such a car.

3) K10B is a real gem. Today a truck overtuned at Shastri bridge in Vadodara, there was traffic jam so had to take highway to come home. I was in CNG mode and tried to accelerate to redline. Trust me, the engine even in CNG mode felt like it can go on and on. 2nd was good for approximately indicated 85 kmph. After that the revv limiter steped in which I did not like. I think this engine can revv for 500 rpm more. After 45 kmph in 2nd gear, the pull was strong and consistent. 3rd quickly took me to 120 and after that I slowed down. High revs is where the engine shines.

Its low rpm where the problem comes in. This small motor lacks bottom end teeth. And its a bit irritating. In traffic, I am constantly hunting between 2nd and 3rd gear. This car wont pull seamlessly from 20 kmph in 3rd gear the way F10D waggie can. Its not that bad, but still a bit more grunt would be beneficial.

To engage 3rd gear, minimum speed must be of 30 kmph, else the car wont pull well.
To engage 4th gear, minimum speed must be of 40 kmph, else the car wont pull well.
To engage 5th gear, minimum speed must be of 50-55 kmph, else the car wont pull well.
Similarly, one needs to have around 15 kmph speed to engage 2nd. This is bad as I have to cross many bumps, so the car wont take off in 2nd at 10 kmph, I have to engage 1st.

Compare this to Baleno which would cleanly pull from 20 in 3rd.

If the above thing is done then after certain speed, one can feel a surge like in G series where in after certain rpm engine would flex muscles. That fun compensates for lack of low end strength. Real fun from such a small engine and all this in CNG mode.

4) I hate A-pillars of modern cars. Love the A-pillar of 800, Baleno, G1HC ( OHC ), Lancer, etc., but not these modern cars. But overall visibility is excellent.

5) Gearshift is very nice. Smooth and slots in well.

6) Space is appreciated by all who sit in this Waggie.

7) I miss tacho. ( @ jaysmokeleaves, go for VXi that comes with tacho ).

8) Handling is good for a car so tall with compact dimensions.

9) Clutch is light and stress free to use.

10) Its advisable to get a leather steering wheel cover from outside rather than buying as MGA. I am not happy with it.

11) The audio system has good functions that are again quite practical. Like a special mute button, and features like if one presses CD button, the CD will stop at that location and start from where one had stopped.

12) Temp gauge is what I prefer to have for mental peace ( and planning in case of problems ).

13) Idling.
Suzuki is acting a bit smart here. Daily when I start the car, the car would idle at high rpm. So high that I need not use the throttle also even in 2nd gear. But this is of a problem when I am taking sharp turns ( I have to encounter 4 90 degree turns to reach main road, 3 of them within 15 mtrs. of my home ) where I need to slow down. Its a bit odd to have such high rpm idling, leave the clutch and you are with speeds higher than normal. My guess is that the engine idles at more than 2000 rpm which is odd. Positive side is that vibrations are minimum and no fear of stalling.

Overall, not bad move but lowering the rpm from above 2000 to 1800 rpm would help. Please note that I am just guessing it to be more than 2000 rpm.

14) I am getting more than 26.2 kpkg maruti claims. Efficiency is very nice.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 7th January 2011 at 23:04.
Old 9th January 2011, 08:37   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
13) Idling.
Suzuki is acting a bit smart here. Daily when I start the car, the car would idle at high rpm. So high that I need not use the throttle also even in 2nd gear. But this is of a problem when I am taking sharp turns ( I have to encounter 4 90 degree turns to reach main road, 3 of them within 15 mtrs. of my home ) where I need to slow down. Its a bit odd to have such high rpm idling, leave the clutch and you are with speeds higher than normal. My guess is that the engine idles at more than 2000 rpm which is odd. Positive side is that vibrations are minimum and no fear of stalling.

Overall, not bad move but lowering the rpm from above 2000 to 1800 rpm would help. Please note that I am just guessing it to be more than 2000 rpm.

14) I am getting more than 26.2 kpkg maruti claims. Efficiency is very nice.
It was your review that helped me decide on my SX4 cng, thanks a ton friend.

Doesn't the idling rpm come down once the engine has reached its optimum temp.? I too can drive my sx4 in 1st gear when I start in a cold start.. The starting rpm is about 1100 but it settles down to about 700 when it warms up.

For a car of this size I too am getting at least a km or two more than what maruti gives for the sx4 (21.6 kmpkg)..
Old 9th January 2011, 19:08   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LithiumSunset View Post
1) It was your review that helped me decide on my SX4 cng, thanks a ton friend.

2) Doesn't the idling rpm come down once the engine has reached its optimum temp.? I too can drive my sx4 in 1st gear when I start in a cold start.. The starting rpm is about 1100 but it settles down to about 700 when it warms up.

3) For a car of this size I too am getting at least a km or two more than what maruti gives for the sx4 (21.6 kmpkg)..
1) Thanks LithiumSunset, glad that my review was of help.

2) Yes, the idling rpm does come down after the engine is warmed up, problem is only during start up that too during cold morning. In the evening this is not a problem. An inexperienced driver will be caught offgaurd by the high rpm. I think Waggie is doing quite a bit of rpm as compared to SX4 that does only 1100.

3) Yes, the efficiency on CNG is excellent. The best part is that this comes without considerable loss of power even with full load + AC.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 9th January 2011 at 19:10.
Old 9th January 2011, 23:31   #23
BHPian

Congrats for the CNG WagonR. Excellent review. Somehow, not many Green Maruti model reviews have not come up on the forum, I could recall only Lithium's only.
MSIL has certainly worked hard on this iGPI technology of theirs. I recently got an oppurtunity to drive the Alto CNG and I must say, the drive is pretty decent within the city.
Old 10th January 2011, 11:55   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey, nice writeup. Congrats on the WagonR GREEN Keep updates coming. I hope no more of them will have dog-hit reports.

BTW, nice to see an LHD Waggie . Some basic image editing s/w could mirror them to reality. Anyway, wishing you & your family unlimited safe and happy miles with the blue eyed boy.

Last edited by Reinhard : 10th January 2011 at 11:58.
Old 10th January 2011, 14:08   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian View Post
Congrats for the CNG WagonR. Excellent review. Somehow, not many Green Maruti model reviews have not come up on the forum, I could recall only Lithium's only.
MSIL has certainly worked hard on this iGPI technology of theirs. I recently got an oppurtunity to drive the Alto CNG and I must say, the drive is pretty decent within the city.
Thanks! Yes, to the best this review of mine is the first one on this forum and next is lithiumsunset for SX4. I was expecting Eeco but looks like Eeco is getting attention of other segment of buyers.

Regarding alto CNG, I too drove one, but it was less than 2 kms in city where in the car is already strong. So was not worth mentioning it. But I must say that almost no difference is felt even in alto which ( which I came to know during my brief drive ) is an achievement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Hey, nice writeup. Congrats on the WagonR GREEN Keep updates coming. I hope no more of them will have dog-hit reports.

BTW, nice to see an LHD Waggie . Some basic image editing s/w could mirror them to reality. Anyway, wishing you & your family unlimited safe and happy miles with the blue eyed boy.
Thanks for appreciating review. Dog hit reports are now not absent and more care is taken during drive. But some how it just happened earlier.

About LHD waggie, well things are bit odd. My only camera was my laptop ( HP dv4t 1600 CTO ) where in earlier before taking images I did settings for NOT taking mirror images, but I think I messed up there.

I know it looks odd, so I am now uploading the images again. Sorry for the team-bhp watermarked inverted images, but these are the only images I have with me right now. I will try to upload other images later.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Wagon R CNG Review, 31,000 kms update and first breakdown-snapshot_20101108_1.jpg  

Maruti Wagon R CNG Review, 31,000 kms update and first breakdown-snapshot_20101108_2.jpg  

Maruti Wagon R CNG Review, 31,000 kms update and first breakdown-snapshot_20101108_3.jpg  

Maruti Wagon R CNG Review, 31,000 kms update and first breakdown-snapshot_20101108_4.jpg  

Maruti Wagon R CNG Review, 31,000 kms update and first breakdown-snapshot_20101108_5.jpg  

Maruti Wagon R CNG Review, 31,000 kms update and first breakdown-snapshot_20101108_6.jpg  

Maruti Wagon R CNG Review, 31,000 kms update and first breakdown-snapshot_20101108_7.jpg  

Maruti Wagon R CNG Review, 31,000 kms update and first breakdown-snapshot_20101108_8.jpg  

Maruti Wagon R CNG Review, 31,000 kms update and first breakdown-snapshot_20101108_9.jpg  

Maruti Wagon R CNG Review, 31,000 kms update and first breakdown-snapshot_20101108_10.jpg  

Maruti Wagon R CNG Review, 31,000 kms update and first breakdown-snapshot_20101108_11.jpg  

Maruti Wagon R CNG Review, 31,000 kms update and first breakdown-snapshot_20101108_14.jpg  

Maruti Wagon R CNG Review, 31,000 kms update and first breakdown-snapshot_20101108_15.jpg  

Maruti Wagon R CNG Review, 31,000 kms update and first breakdown-snapshot_20101108_16.jpg  

Maruti Wagon R CNG Review, 31,000 kms update and first breakdown-snapshot_20101108_17.jpg  

Maruti Wagon R CNG Review, 31,000 kms update and first breakdown-snapshot_20101108_18.jpg  

Maruti Wagon R CNG Review, 31,000 kms update and first breakdown-snapshot_20101108_19.jpg  

Maruti Wagon R CNG Review, 31,000 kms update and first breakdown-snapshot_20101108_20.jpg  

Maruti Wagon R CNG Review, 31,000 kms update and first breakdown-snapshot_20101108_21.jpg  

Maruti Wagon R CNG Review, 31,000 kms update and first breakdown-snapshot_20101108_22.jpg  

Maruti Wagon R CNG Review, 31,000 kms update and first breakdown-snapshot_20101108_23.jpg  

Maruti Wagon R CNG Review, 31,000 kms update and first breakdown-snapshot_20101108_24.jpg  

Maruti Wagon R CNG Review, 31,000 kms update and first breakdown-snapshot_20101108_25.jpg  

Maruti Wagon R CNG Review, 31,000 kms update and first breakdown-snapshot_20101108_26.jpg  

Maruti Wagon R CNG Review, 31,000 kms update and first breakdown-snapshot_20101108_27.jpg  

Last edited by aaggoswami : 10th January 2011 at 14:11.
Old 16th January 2011, 23:18   #26
Senior - BHPian

Time or update.

This car is has now completed approx. 6500 kms. In recent days, the car has seen around 660 kms. of driving in 5 days via two highway trips.

My views :

1) CNG pressure at pump can make a lot of difference.

2) The ambient temperature can also make a lot of difference. Eg. In morning, the CNG gauge will show only 3 lights ( 4 = full/highest ) and in afternoon would be back to full. This is around 25 kms. after I have filled in CNG i.e. after full tank of CNG, I have driven 25 kms.

Similar story goes for filling. At a station where in pressure is less than what we get on highway, we managed to fill in 10.3 kg early at 4:30 in the morning.

3) Performance as usual is good.

4) Tyre pressure if high, will contribute to significantly increased road noise on less than near perfect surfaces. If anybody is buying LX/LXi, upgrade the tyres immediately. Stock are not that good and the car is better with wider rubber.

5) FE with CNG.
With me driving, for 330 kms. I got 26.8 km/kg. Hmm...I drove fast on a few stretches. Fast means fast for this car. I drove at over 100 kmph for quite sometime on windy day. This took its toll on FE. Plus there was a lot of traffic, a lot. 330 kms took me 3 hours and 15 mins.

On similar route today, dad got an astonishing 34.6 km/kg!!!! Yes, you read that right, almost Rs. 1/km as far as fuel goes.

How ? Driving at constantly 80 kmph ( in that zone, not even touched 90 ). Just for reference of traffic on the day I was driving, even at max. 80 kmph, dad finished the route in 2 hours 45 mins. I took half an hour longer despite driving at higher speeds due high traffic for last 100 kms of journey.

I would say, excellent FE on CNG.

6) This is not a car for high speed lane changing ( more than 100 kmph ). Else things are all fine.

7) A slightly lower, more aerodynamic Wagon R with K12M would be appreciated. Ops, MSIL does make one, its Ritz!
Coming back, Ritz is better for long distance highway driving and IMO, if Maruti comes up with K12M CNG Ritz, it would be a runaway success.

8) Till 90 kmph, things are fine in Waggie. Cross 100 and you need to more attentive specially on not so good roads. Otherwise things are ok till 120.
Acceleration after 130 is a bit slow. This is max I did for overtaking an Innova on normal highways. It was a bit insane IMO, so returned back to 100 for that road.

This is clearly not an ethusiasts car. Any other query just post on this thread. I will try to answer them as per my knowledge.

9) Even in LXi there is feature to adjust the instrument cluster lighting. I never knew it even existed.

Nothing more to update.

Within 4 months this car has completed more than 6400 kms. We are satisfied.

@mods :
Now that I have uploaded images and updated the thread as and when there were some updates, can we change the thread title to "K10 CNG Wagon R Initial Ownership report.6500 kms. update "
( OR Any title which is more beneficial as per your view ) from Driving report ?
Old 17th January 2011, 09:49   #27
Senior - BHPian

A few images. Also the car has completed 6677 kms. This time I am uploading a few images of engine bay also.

The images of legroom at rear are with left seat all the way back and then the driver's seat setting of my father ( me and my father both prefer driving style where in the seat is quite a bit back ).
The rear seat base is quite deep.

There is enough space for a bigger unit. I think a smaller front would have been sufficient for K10B.

@mods :
Can we change the thread title to " K10 CNG Wagon R Initial Ownership report.6500 kms. update " ( OR Any other title you feel will be more beneficial ) ?
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Wagon R CNG Review, 31,000 kms update and first breakdown-photo0059.jpg  

Maruti Wagon R CNG Review, 31,000 kms update and first breakdown-photo0066.jpg  

Maruti Wagon R CNG Review, 31,000 kms update and first breakdown-photo0067.jpg  

Maruti Wagon R CNG Review, 31,000 kms update and first breakdown-photo0068.jpg  

Maruti Wagon R CNG Review, 31,000 kms update and first breakdown-photo0069.jpg  

Maruti Wagon R CNG Review, 31,000 kms update and first breakdown-photo0070.jpg  

Maruti Wagon R CNG Review, 31,000 kms update and first breakdown-photo0071.jpg  

Maruti Wagon R CNG Review, 31,000 kms update and first breakdown-photo0072.jpg  

Maruti Wagon R CNG Review, 31,000 kms update and first breakdown-photo0073.jpg  

Maruti Wagon R CNG Review, 31,000 kms update and first breakdown-photo0074.jpg  

Maruti Wagon R CNG Review, 31,000 kms update and first breakdown-photo0075.jpg  

Maruti Wagon R CNG Review, 31,000 kms update and first breakdown-photo0076.jpg  

Maruti Wagon R CNG Review, 31,000 kms update and first breakdown-photo0077.jpg  

Maruti Wagon R CNG Review, 31,000 kms update and first breakdown-photo0078.jpg  

Maruti Wagon R CNG Review, 31,000 kms update and first breakdown-photo0079.jpg  

Maruti Wagon R CNG Review, 31,000 kms update and first breakdown-photo0081.jpg  

Maruti Wagon R CNG Review, 31,000 kms update and first breakdown-photo0082.jpg  

Last edited by aaggoswami : 17th January 2011 at 10:08.
Old 17th January 2011, 21:06   #28
BHPian

A detailed and comprehensive cng report. With the rising cost of petrol each month I think it is time to switch to CNG instead and with a running cost of approx 1 Re per km it is cheaper than running an activa today
Old 22nd January 2011, 13:08   #29

Great reviews.. I also purchased a WagonR Green about 3 days ago and its a fun to drive car. Not much of a lag driving around the city. Havent been on the highways as yet but on reading the reviews, i dont thing it'll be a problem
Luggage Space is an issue and i am strongly thinking on a removable 'carrier'. Anyone already has that?

Another issue i face is the CNG filling. I read about the pressure issues but can we get the pressure changed at the pump or do we have to go to another pump with lower pressure to allow in more gas? On the day i got the delivery i could manage about 7.5 kgs or gas to full. Had to fill in again yesterday. Now that could be irritating! Also, the Maruti guy told me the tank capacity is aboiut 14-16 kgs !! How do we manage that!!

Anyone from Mumbai who knows pumps around Santacruz where we get the right pressure??
Old 22nd January 2011, 15:05   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saumil_b View Post
Great reviews.. I also purchased a WagonR Green about 3 days ago and its a fun to drive car.
Congrats saumil on a very sensible buy!
Please start a thread with lots of pics.
What color ??
Quote:
Luggage Space is an issue and i am strongly thinking on a removable 'carrier'. Anyone already has that?
I have CNG in my Alto, we even procured a carrier for an outstation trip but we managed to do without it so we returned it. If you're not travelling frequently with 4-5 people i think it is manageable.
Quote:
Another issue i face is the CNG filling. I read about the pressure issues but can we get the pressure changed at the pump
Yes different pumps have different pressure but you CAN'T get it changed.
Quote:
do we have to go to another pump with lower pressure to allow in more gas?
And to fill more gas you have to go to a station with HIGHER pressure not lower.
I Agree its very irritating on the pumps with low pressure first you wait in the line 5-10 mins and even then you have to come back the next day!
The waiting is more in NGV dispensers as they are at max 2 at a station as far as I've seen.
I'll tell you what there is this station close to my place, during the day you'll get at max about 160Rs worth gas and at night around 11PM you get around 240-250Rs!
Quote:
the Maruti guy told me the tank capacity is aboiut 14-16 kgs !! How do we manage that!!
And as far as cylinder capacity is concerned i think its 12kg for WagonR owners please clarify and NO you can't do anything about it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks