Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2010, 01:14   #1
Senior - BHPian

After a long wait - The Ritz VDi

Hello all,
A brief history - After numerous problems with the ikon, with a heavy heart decided to sell it off. The ikon served well on many of the highway drives and it complemented nicely with the M800.

The ikon was retired on August 2009 and on April, the ikon was taken to its new home, with a trusted friend. and i started the hunt for a new car.

After a lot of debate at home on what to pick up, all the 7 seater cars were ruled out. After a strict warning not to pick up any more second hand cars from home, i started looking at brand new cars. After the usual trip to many of the dealers the usual first round of cars came up. on the second round, 3 cars really started showing OFF. these were the ritz, i20 and Manza. Manza was later grounded for financial reasons, while the i20 sports really called out to me.

The i20 is a nice car especially on the Sportz trim, but why oh why did hyundai leave the ABS out of it? A car with airbags, but no ABS? This tilted the scale in favour of the Ritz.

Started on the loan proceedure from SBI and recovered the rest of the amount from my friend to who the ikon was handed over. Long story short, the ritz was delivered to me on deepavali day Nov 5th 2010.

Some points about the car:
  • Handles really well. It doesnt not give the tall boy feel of I10 and Santro.
  • Step inside the ritz and it feels like you are in a large car. definitely more room that hyundai boys.
  • When driving the hyundais, i get severe cramps on the right foot. none in the ritz. ( I looked at i10 asta with sunrrof for a while, but was ruled out due to this)
  • The ikon and the M800 are low slung. Every time i have to enter/exit i have to bend/bang my head. I am 6foot1. I did not want this in my next car.
  • Between the swift and ritz, i felt that swift is definitely a better handler due to wider track, but also dangerous. there are too many swift/desire accidents.
  • The rear comfort due to taller sitting position in the ritz translates to a slightly better leg room in the rear for the rear passengers.
  • The lumbar support is just about adequate in the front seats. but comfy none the less.
  • Love the retro look of the speedo and the pod mounted tacho.
Dealer offers: underbody, interior panel coating, floor mats, seat covers, 3m RE50(after much delebration, and taking a chance), central locking (nippon) all for; get this 10290/-

The 3M RE50 changes the way it looks under different lighting conditions, but thanks to the sunfilm thread, i decided to take a chance and am happy.

Oh yeah, picked up vanity plates so that both the M800 and the ritz has the same number.

some pictures:

After a long wait - The Ritz VDi-img_1535.jpg

After a long wait - The Ritz VDi-img_1534.jpg

After a long wait - The Ritz VDi-img_1537.jpg

After a long wait - The Ritz VDi-img_1538.jpg

After a long wait - The Ritz VDi-img_1540.jpg

After a long wait - The Ritz VDi-img_1541.jpg

After a long wait - The Ritz VDi-img_1542.jpg

After a long wait - The Ritz VDi-img_1543.jpg

After a long wait - The Ritz VDi-img_1546.jpg

I am glad to be on the ritz club, and have read almost all the user reviews there are about this car.

had taken the car to 3 different temples and finally today the car is now free to be driven.

Am running in the car as of now and the odo reads 85 KMs. (13 when seen at the yard, 24 while taking delivery) - I must say the PDI checklist is extremely helpful.

Any tips on running in the Diesel car? i am keeping the revs under 2k rpm. There will be a 450 KM run the coming weekend.

Thank you to all the ritz owners whose review was very helpful in the decision making process.
govigov is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2010, 10:00   #2
Senior - BHPian

Congrats buddy.

with reference to your 6th pic, how come your car has the boot open lever inside the cabin, besides the fuel lid open lever?

My Ritz ZXi does not have this!
Old 8th November 2010, 10:17   #3
BHPian

Congrats! I too had planned to get a Ritz VDi but the end moment drive in the Swift changed my mind

By the way, whats the alarm button for? Is it some Anti-theft

Enjoy the ride!
Old 8th November 2010, 10:41   #4
BHPian

Congrats on buying the Ritz. Its a very practical car. The front seats are very comfortable and the seating position and ergonomics are spot on.

The only thing I dont like about the Ritz is its back end and lack of boot space. The back end look is growing on me, and now no long looks weird, but the boot space is certainly a concern.

How long did you have to wait for ABS model?

Do keep posting in your updates.

Raj-: The ZXi works like the Getz. Unlock the central locking and the boot is also unlocked. There is no seperate lever for it. The other models of both Swift/Ritz works with the lever only.

Last edited by krish3 : 8th November 2010 at 10:43. Reason: Reply to Raj's query
Old 8th November 2010, 11:05   #5
BHPian

Congratulations.You have got yourself a great car.It will serve you well.
Old 8th November 2010, 15:55   #6
Senior - BHPian

thanks raj, samigo, krish and drchernish.

as said the zxi has it integrated with the key fob.
@samigo, yes i had opted for the central lockking from nipon which has that switch (albiet for configuring, not for turning ON/OFF of the alarm.)

There was a waiting period of about a month before the car arrived. I had seen and booked the car in august but was only able to take delivery on nov 5th.

Found out something new today, under the passenger seat there is a small tray, in which manuals, papers and the copy of the DL can be kept. neat!

keeping the rpm below the 2k mark until the first service.
Old 8th November 2010, 16:00   #7
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on the car man. Drive Safe.
Old 8th November 2010, 16:55   #8
BHPian

Ok, I see. Do a proper run-in of the car. Check the Team-BHP article on that. The DDiS will spoil your driving for sure My Swift D, I simply cannot drive it slow. Very peppy and powerful! I enjoy driving it soo much that I have completed > 20K Kms in just 9 months of ownership.

Regards,
Sam
Old 8th November 2010, 18:12   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish3 View Post
Raj-: The ZXi works like the Getz. Unlock the central locking and the boot is also unlocked. There is no seperate lever for it. The other models of both Swift/Ritz works with the lever only.
I mean opening the boot buddy & not unlocking it. to open the boot, i have to use the lever provided under the number plate cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
as said the zxi has it integrated with the key fob.
my ZXi does not have a boot release in the key fob. it has only lock & unlock buttons on it.
Old 8th November 2010, 19:26   #10
Senior - BHPian

@samigo,

Yeah, i hope so too. any tips on running it in?

@raj, oh now i get you. may be you can do a DIY. the release harness should have a provision to hook on to the cable.

Does, the zxi model have a power outlet in the boot, Ala the swift zxi?

few more points
  • Theater style dimming lights, did not expect this.
  • Key in Ignition reminder -
  • It makes a long beep when you open the door with the park lights on.
  • let me just emphasize on the front seats. They are fabulous. Got a good driving position today, still experimenting.
  • The central locking locks all the four doors once the speed reaches 25 kmph. good.
  • if i lock the power windows using the button it locks the windows on all the 3 doors, except the drivers. the weird thing is, in the ikon i was still able to open/close the rear windows using the driver side buttons. In the ritz, i have unlock the power window using the button and only then can i open/close the rest of the windows.
  • Auto power down on the driver side, but will not auto close.
regards,
govigov
govigov is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2010, 22:24   #11
Senior - BHPian

Congrats and welcome to Ritzy Club :-).
Try to keep below 2200 rpm till the first few thousand kms and also make sure to idle the car after starting and before switching off for 30 sec to 1 min.
And also if you do some highways runs, please try to get the headlights upgraded to something better.The stock lamp on Ritz are real crap, i used to find then useless in city drive only forget about highways.
The seat cover looks really nice, how much did you pay to for the same .
And also the remote locking, is it with sensors and all.
Anyways drive safe and keep us posted .

Last edited by Schoudhury : 8th November 2010 at 22:32.
Old 8th November 2010, 22:45   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@raj, oh now i get you. may be you can do a DIY. the release harness should have a provision to hook on to the cable.

Does, the zxi model have a power outlet in the boot, Ala the swift zxi?
Nopes. No power outlet in the boot. I hope i have not missed it, will check it anyways!

Not fair. the top end has not got the internal boot release whereas the lower version has it. what was maruti thinking?

or is it that diesels have got this feature whereas petrols dont... no logic but God knows!
Old 9th November 2010, 03:33   #13
Senior - BHPian

thanks schoudry. yes the lights are really bad. any suggestions for upgrades?

do get back raj, regarding the rear power outlet. i am sure we could run a line there get one working. i just would like to know the position if it is present in the zxi.
Old 9th November 2010, 07:19   #14
BHPian

govigov, congrats on your new Ritz! Happy driving! Please do upgrade to better tires.

How much did you pay to get the new numbers?

Doesn't Ritz has waiting period like the Swift? Who is the dealer?

Have you planned on any modifications?

What brand of seat covers have you put in?

Hope to meet you in one of the Cochin meets.

Thanks,
Jose.
Old 9th November 2010, 08:17   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
do get back raj, regarding the rear power outlet. i am sure we could run a line there get one working. i just would like to know the position if it is present in the zxi.
I checked & my Ritz ZXi does not have a rear power outlet.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks