Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2010, 21:13   #1

My White Stallion - Volkswagen POLO 1.2 Highline

First of all my big thanks to the moderators for approving my membership to Team - BHP as I really wanted to be a part of this amazing community of serious car enthusiasts who love cars/driving not for the sake of driving but for the joy that it brings to our otherwise everyday mundane work life.
Now let me share my whole experience with you all about how i narrowed down my intricate search for 'the' car out of the various options I had in our Indian market. Then I shall begin my initial ownership review on my POLO 1.2 Highline.
To give a brief about the cars that i have driven, I have had the great pleasure of driving Maruti 800 (make 1994) ever since i learnt driving. That car has given me many sweet memories from the numerous drives around my neighbourhood & then there have been the break down memories which brings a smile whenever I think of those adventures. In today’s world of hi-tech cars, that car had the old school charm which I feel blessed to have experienced in my early years of driving. The best thing me & my best friend loved about the drives in that car were the revving sound of the vintage engine & the slick manoeuvrability.
Later I went on to drive my father's Maruti Zen (make 2002). According to me and I’m sure many of you guys would agree, that series of Zen is the best of all the versions till now. I simply love the pickup & the manoeuvrability of that car on the road. But lack of Power Steering was a real problem for me in my every day drives.
Then in 2008 we brought home the Toyota Corolla whose raw power & handling completely blows me away every time I take it out on a drive. If only the roads were as clear as they are at night, i believe i wouldn’t have been writing this post. But driving the Corolla everyday on city roads was never going to be easy.
So, I began my search for a new car in September. Initially I was inclined towards Linea but after taking its TD I found the quality of the interiors way below standard. Besides the pickup was pathetic in Petrol (T-Jet was launched a month later but was way over my budget in terms of price)
From Linea I then shifted my focus to Honda Jazz. I loved the looks of that car and the interiors also felt good with lot of space & good features. I was offered 55K discount on the Select model of Jazz & the on-road price was coming out to be around 7.15 lacs in Faridabad. I almost made up my mind for the Jazz Select in Blue colour but my family didn’t approve of the car in the end.
So that bought me back to square one. All along the way I had my eye on the Volkswagen Polo as well and my admiration got bigger every time I saw it on the Road or some Parking lot in Delhi. One fine day i decided to call The Volkswagen dealer in Moti Nagar & was told that there is a 2 month waiting for Polo. But i was willing to wait for that long for this beauty. I had made up my mind for POLO 1.6 and proposed the car to my family who again disapproved of my choice for a ‘new’ Car manufacturer Volkswagen in comparison to Hundai or Maruti Suzuki.
My father pushed me towards i20 and i even went to a Hundai showroom to look at the i20 in more detail. Honestly, i must say that i was very impressed by the i20, great looks, great service, great interiors and better features in terms of USB in music system. But deep inside my heart had already been committed to Polo for its unique lines an contours in styling. I reluctantly convinced myself towards i20 & almost finalised the booking for it in white when one fateful day my father came home with a new found liking for Polo. The story goes that he saw a Red Polo on road and was impressed by its looks. With that chink in his armour I pushed all my force ahead to convince him for that car & with the help of my relatives i got him convinced for Polo finally.
The next day i called the sales guy in Moti Nagar & asked him if he could deliver the Car to me in 10 days on Dhateras. He was again giving me the 2 month waiting period story but i told him that he has to give it to me by then otherwise i will have to book the i20. Within 5 minutes he gave me a call back & confirmed to me that he can deliver me POLO 1.2 Highline or 1.6 in white. Two days later i went to the Moti nagar showroom & asked him to book the POLO 1.6 but to my sheer disappointment i was told that the POLO 1.6 was just booked a day ago & that i can only take 1.2 highline in white. I decided to book 1.2 Highline for Dhanteras as i was afraid that i waited any longer then i might have to wait till Dec.
After all the paper work & another trip to the showroom for various formalities, i reached the showroom on Dhanteras with my father in the evening to take the delivery. The first look of My White Stallion in white colour with those new Alloys totally blew my mind. I drove the car back to my house with my heart in the mouth, feeling scared of the city traffic bumping or scratching the car.
I decided to go for the following accessories from the Volkswagen Showroom :

1. Mud Flaps
2. Rubber Mats (Black)
3. Floor cotton mats (Black)
4. Body care package

I decided to buy the Car cover from outside which i did from Khan Market (saved 500/- & the quality was far better) & am planning to get the Sun film from Vcolor soon. Besides i really wanted to go for a Witson OEM & hopefully will upgrade my system very soon.
In the next few days i plan to pamper my Car with various accessories & am looking forward to all your suggestions. Here are a few pictures i took with my mobile phone. Cheers !
Attached Thumbnails
My White Stallion - Volkswagen POLO 1.2 Highline-p051110_11.54_01.jpg  

My White Stallion - Volkswagen POLO 1.2 Highline-p051110_11.54.jpg  

My White Stallion - Volkswagen POLO 1.2 Highline-p051110_11.53.jpg  

My White Stallion - Volkswagen POLO 1.2 Highline-p051110_11.54_04.jpg  

My White Stallion - Volkswagen POLO 1.2 Highline-p051110_13.36.jpg  

My White Stallion - Volkswagen POLO 1.2 Highline-p051110_13.36_02.jpg  

Old 9th November 2010, 22:24   #2
BHPian

Congrats, varun_jay!

Your pictures haven't come.
Old 9th November 2010, 22:29   #3
Senior - BHPian

Congrats and welcome to the POLO club What's the Body car package that you've gone for?
Old 9th November 2010, 22:51   #4
BHPian

I must say, this is the bestlooking Hatchback on indian road today. Congrats, Looks great in white too.
Old 9th November 2010, 22:57   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
Congrats and welcome to the POLO club What's the Body car package that you've gone for?
Thanks ! i'm referring to the Teflon coating for Exterior, Underside & Silencer coating. I really hope they actually did it as i'm yet to receive the certificate of warranty.
Old 9th November 2010, 23:33   #6
Senior - BHPian

WOW,the Polo in white looks really nice.
Im sure, 1.6 would have been a real nice icing on the cake ,isn't ?.
Anyways, drive safe and take care.
Cheers
Old 10th November 2010, 00:55   #7
BHPian

Nice car there and congrats on the beauty Varun. The quality of VW products are simply terrific and Polo justifies this position.

The mudflaps takes away the sporty stance though IMO but I agree with its utility. However, the number plates are horrendous , how did you even allow the dealership to put those onto your car? Its got so much details cramped into it, makes me wonder why they missed out on putting up their address even. On a serious note, its illegal to put up anything other than registration numbers on the plates and also its you who would have paid for it and its not a freebie. Take it up with your dealership and ask them to change it.

Wish you many happy miles in your Polo.
Old 10th November 2010, 09:16   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on the purchase of the polo. The car in white looks good. Add dark tints and get 16 incher wheels to complete the look.

Do enjoy many more happy miles with the Polo.
Old 10th November 2010, 11:15   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoudhury View Post
WOW,the Polo in white looks really nice.
Im sure, 1.6 would have been a real nice icing on the cake ,isn't ?.
Anyways, drive safe and take care.
Cheers
I really wanted to go for 1.6 but its not easily available with the dealers all over NCR. But after driving the 1.2 on the highway i have been really impressed by the smooth drive. Overall am satisfied considering i will be driving mostly within the city traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.anand View Post
Nice car there and congrats on the beauty Varun. The quality of VW products are simply terrific and Polo justifies this position.

The mudflaps takes away the sporty stance though IMO but I agree with its utility. However, the number plates are horrendous , how did you even allow the dealership to put those onto your car? Its got so much details cramped into it, makes me wonder why they missed out on putting up their address even. On a serious note, its illegal to put up anything other than registration numbers on the plates and also its you who would have paid for it and its not a freebie. Take it up with your dealership and ask them to change it.

Wish you many happy miles in your Polo.
thanks Anand ! The number plate is temporary for a month until i get the permanent one by Dec 1st week. Will make sure that the dealer gives me the number plate without their details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Congrats on the purchase of the polo. The car in white looks good. Add dark tints and get 16 incher wheels to complete the look.

Do enjoy many more happy miles with the Polo.
thanks Krishnap ! i always wanted the Black & white look when i decided to go for white color in POLO. My next stop will be at V-KOOL for the dark tinted film.
I really like the look with 16 inch alloys but i'm quite happy with the meaty look of the 15 inch alloys that came with the car.
Old 10th November 2010, 11:57   #10
BHPian

Congratulations Varun! Looking forward to your ownership experience from time to time.
Old 10th November 2010, 12:06   #11
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Varun. Extremely wise decision you have taken. Polo 1.2 has enough grunt to satisfy the power requirements of most. Also the mileage you get is the icing on th cake.
Old 10th November 2010, 14:37   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevGin View Post
Congratulations Varun! Looking forward to your ownership experience from time to time.
thanks... will give my detailed feedback of my first week's ownership experience very soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Congrats Varun. Extremely wise decision you have taken. Polo 1.2 has enough grunt to satisfy the power requirements of most. Also the mileage you get is the icing on th cake.
Thank u... initially i was dissapointed for having missed out on 1.6 but after driving 1.2 at night from Delhi to Faridabad i was very happy with the drive experience.
Besides i was able to clock FE of 15 with 1.2 on highway & am getting a decent 13.8 - 14.4 within the city traffic in Faridabad. Mileage of 1.2 will definitely make a difference in the long run when compared with 1.6.
Old 7th December 2010, 13:29   #13

1. Mud Flaps
2. Rubber Mats (Black)
3. Floor cotton mats (Black)
4. Body care package

Excellent choice my friend, but I am so happy and surprised you could get the car in 10days, I waited for over 3 months.
Anyway I wanted to know the Body care package that you went for, what is it all about and price.

By the way have you figured the digital display, I couldn't and the manual wasn't much help. If there is anyone who has it figured out please do write in.
Old 9th December 2010, 23:31   #14
BHPian

Re: My White Stallion - Volkswagen POLO 1.2 Highline

Quote:
Originally Posted by varun_jay View Post
Thank u... initially i was dissapointed for having missed out on 1.6 but after driving 1.2 at night from Delhi to Faridabad i was very happy with the drive experience.
Besides i was able to clock FE of 15 with 1.2 on highway & am getting a decent 13.8 - 14.4 within the city traffic in Faridabad. Mileage of 1.2 will definitely make a difference in the long run when compared with 1.6.
The 1.2 Petrol is a VERY capable car and definitely makes sense for most. The 1.6 is basically an enthusiast's car, but it does take some work to release the horses and the torque.

Bottom-line: You are not missing much...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipc View Post
By the way have you figured the digital display, I couldn't and the manual wasn't much help. If there is anyone who has it figured out please do write in.
The display is easy to figure out. You scroll through it using the stalk on the right. Top is to go back and bottom is to go forward. All the parameters that end with a 1 refer to the trip and those with 2 are for the life of the car.

If you can tell me what you need info on, I could let you know.
Old 10th December 2010, 00:55   #15
Senior - BHPian

Re: My White Stallion - Volkswagen POLO 1.2 Highline

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
All the parameters that end with a 1 refer to the trip and those with 2 are for the life of the car.
The 2nd trip parameters can also be reset. In fact, every time I fill the tank I reset the 2nd trip meter. The 1st trip meter resets automatically every time you switch off the car for more than 6 hrs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks