Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2010, 21:05   #16
Team-BHP Support

Congrats on your car. Honda engines really are very good. BTW the Vtec activates only after 5200 odd rpm, so by keeping it around 4000odd rpm you arent really using Vtec.

Also a new way to run in. Most people stick to unnaturally low rpms, like 2000rpms for a petrol engine whereas they are actually lugging the engine.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2010, 21:21   #17
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the car. You sure do travel a lot and you mentioned you were addicted to torque, which makes me think that a diesel car would have been perfect for you (and all your journeys would be considerably cheaper as well, considering the distances you drive).

Any reason for not choosing a diesel car. The Vento TDi is a great car and would handle much better on the highways. Which cars did you consider before settling on the ANHC.?

Sorry to hear about the accident. It always hurts more when the car is new. Our NHC ZX met with a similar accident when a swift rear ended us. The repair bill came to 60K

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 11th November 2010 at 21:26.
Old 12th November 2010, 10:25   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.anand View Post
Congrats on the new car @nanduchitnis, its a wonderful review indeed.

The best manufacturer recommendation I have come across is from the VW/Skoda, they insist on not revving beyond 75% of the maximum engine power i.e., starting of redline. I feel this is the middle path and sounds logically right too. What is your take on it?

Absolutely correct. On the ANHC, the 7 k rpm is well below the red line. Rally drivers who I knew used to fit brand new engines on old modded chassis and do the run in by revving up and down in 2/5th gears max 70 % of engine power. Then they used to analyse the oil in the sump and look for metal particles. More the particles happier they were for the engine and the auxiliaries they run. Funny thing, they used to just filter the oil, mix with some new oil and with this mix of old and new oil, run in again. Their logic was something to do with viscosity and gears lubrication.

Ofcourse my Rally Driver friends were of the 1975 era. But the logic of running in remains correct to this day.

I am for VW/Skoda way of running in a new car. And all my M-800 x 2 cars, Santro, and nw ANHC and 3 mobikes I followed the same process.

Now what happens if you run in at only 2500 rpm is that the meshing in of gears with the engines is only half done. Revving up to 7 k rpm (albeith for a few seconds only) and then down to 2 k rpm, the meshing in takes place properly. Also temprature varies and plays a great role in thinning down the oil viscosity which in turn causes small metal particles to lodge off the gears and get drained into the sump.

What people do is run in at 2.5 k RPM and then rip the car...big problems crop up and engine life reduces. KPL/FE reduces.

This is my take and there should be a new thread for engine run ins.

Now that my run is complete I drive max @ 4000 rpm which translates to around 120 kmph and returns FE of around 14.6 km/liter on the Expressway. The engine sound is like music to the ears....

Rgds

Capt Nandu Chitnis
nanduchitnis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2010, 10:56   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Congrats on the car. You sure do travel a lot and you mentioned you were addicted to torque, which makes me think that a diesel car would have been perfect for you (and all your journeys would be considerably cheaper as well, considering the distances you drive).
My Take: I did ride on a Fiat Linea as a pax back seat from Vashi to Pune. I was super impressed. When I test drove the diesel version, I found the pick up was too slow in 3rd/4th gears for my style of driving. Still I was carrying my cheque book at the show room of Linea and cell foned Mr Priyadarshani and Dilip Desai from Zigwheels and asked them which car Lenia or Honda City. Both recco ANHC. But yes for my kind of long distance driving, I should have bot a Mahindra Zylo or some such vehicle. Which I will some day.

>>Any reason for not choosing a diesel car. The Vento TDi is a great car and would handle much better on the highways. Which cars did you consider before settling on the ANHC.?>>

My Take: I considered only Linea and ANHC...was a mistake. But after driving to Jaisalmer and down to Kerela, I am still happy despite low GC and undercarriage damages.

>>Sorry to hear about the accident. It always hurts more when the car is new. Our NHC ZX met with a similar accident when a swift rear ended us. The repair bill came to 60K>>

But I got Zero Depreciation Insurance. I dobt if I will pay a penny for the damages. Besides my wife was driving so if any expenses she will pay!

Rgds

Captain Nandu Chitnis

Last edited by Stratos : 24th February 2011 at 14:21.
Old 25th November 2010, 11:42   #20
BHPian

10,000 kms Serving and Accident Repair Job done

After logging 10 k kms in the month of September, the servicing is done.

I was keeping my fingers crossed for Insurance to assess and clearwork on the starboard stern light, the replacement of the entire bumper, body and paintwork.

The billing was Rs 42,000/- by Crystal Honda, Pune. Am very pleased to report that the entire Rs 42 k was cleared and paid for by Honda Assure (Bajaj Allianze) The picture of damages are on the page 1 of this thread.

There were no other issues with the car. I will have to wait till mid Jan 2011 to drive the White Angel of Desire after i sign off from the ship mid January 2011. Meanwhile my wife Medini will drive her 2 times a week till I return.

to Crystal Honda and Bajaj Allianze.
Old 23rd February 2011, 20:25   #21
BHPian

Re: 2010 White ANHC SMT Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Congrats on your car. Honda engines really are very good. BTW the Vtec activates only after 5200 odd rpm, so by keeping it around 4000odd rpm you arent really using Vtec.

Also a new way to run in. Most people stick to unnaturally low rpms, like 2000rpms for a petrol engine whereas they are actually lugging the engine.
Today I hit the 5000 rpm on the Expressway which translated to 180 kmph ! But seriously dont get many oppurtunities to drive at that speed !
Old 1st March 2011, 18:22   #22
BHPian

Will be posting a few more pics here soon

2010 White ANHC SMT Ownership Review-honda-city.jpg
nanduchitnis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2011, 09:05   #23
BHPian

Pan Shots of the ANHC
Attached Thumbnails
2010 White ANHC SMT Ownership Review-anhc.jpg  

nanduchitnis is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2011, 12:48   #24
BHPian

11,000 kms done

My car has done 11,000 kms now. Recent drives were Pune to Mumbai and Pune to Mahableshwar.

The Pune -Mumbai FE on th Expressway was around 18.

On the Pune Mahableswar ghats, the car was great on the twisties.

Thus far I am happy with the performance of the motor and service at Crystal Honda Pune.
Old 2nd February 2012, 19:22   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post

How do I know that the Vtec is activated? 5200 RPM translates to 160 kmph. We dont have roads where we can drive safely at that speed !
Old 2nd February 2012, 19:26   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanduchitnis View Post
How do I know that the Vtec is activated? 5200 RPM translates to 160 kmph. We dont have roads where we can drive safely at that speed !
From the discussion we had on the other thread we presumed that i-vtec kicks in somewhere after 4K when we feel sudden rush of power and acceleration.

Read from post 52 onwards http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2292813

5200 RPM is too high and not doable on daily basis at least in cities. Any link which shows 5200 RPM is the point?

Last edited by bluevolt : 2nd February 2012 at 19:28.
Old 2nd February 2012, 19:59   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Sir but the Vtec will not only activate in 5th gear. If you rev the car in first or 2nd gear you will feel the vtec kicking in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
From the discussion we had on the other thread we presumed that i-vtec kicks in somewhere after 4K when we feel sudden rush of power and acceleration.

Read from post 52 onwards http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2292813

5200 RPM is too high and not doable on daily basis at least in cities. Any link which shows 5200 RPM is the point?
Yes i-vtec does alter the vtec activation point a bit. It may just be 4000rpm odd. But on all the older vtec engines it was 5200rpm odd.

IMO it all depends on the roads in the city right? In Mumbai I redline the Accord everytime I take it out.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2012, 21:03   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Now what happens if you run in at only 2500 rpm is that the meshing in of gears with the engines is only half done. Revving up to 7 k rpm (albeith for a few seconds only) and then down to 2 k rpm, the meshing in takes place properly. Also temprature varies and plays a great role in thinning down the oil viscosity which in turn causes small metal particles to lodge off the gears and get drained into the sump.

What people do is run in at 2.5 k RPM and then rip the car...big problems crop up and engine life reduces. KPL/FE reduces.

This is my take and there should be a new thread for engine run ins.

Now that my run is complete I drive max @ 4000 rpm which translates to around 120 kmph and returns FE of around 14.6 km/liter on the Expressway. The engine sound is like music to the ears....

Rgds

Capt Nandu Chitnis
Sir,
If I may,
The most critical reason for the variation in RPM during the run in period is to allow the piston rings to take a good seat. I am not too sure about the gear meshing in part. Reason being, after your run in is completed, you drain engine oil and not gear oil so I am a bit confused.
The higher you revv, your engine gets used to those high revvs and won't cause problems in the long run when you want to have a few spirited drives with redline shifts.
If the rings don't take proper seat, a few high revv drives might cause problems with oil entering the combustion chamber because the rings hadn't taken a good seat.
As far as I know, this is the most vital reason for a proper run in.
Why else do you think that VW/Skoda specifically mention in their manuals, especially in the case of their 1.8 TSi engines that there would oil consumption for 5k kms or so. Turbocharged engines usually have a slightly higher piston to wall clearances to avoid seizure when boost builds up and the clearance is too tight.
Therefore, until the rings take proper seat, these engines eat up oil, they are designed in that fashion.

Anyway, did you change oil after the run in was completed ?
Amey is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2012, 20:08   #29
BHPian

Just for the record MY FIRST JEEP, 1954 model, made in UK
Attached Thumbnails
2010 White ANHC SMT Ownership Review-my-first-car.jpg  

nanduchitnis is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th February 2012, 20:41   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Just for the record MY FIRST JEEP, 1954 model, made in UK
If this was your first ride, then why settle for a honda ?
a Jeep would have been a befitting ride to make you nostalgic; btw we do have the Rajmachi drive in March to take you back to your childhood days.
kpbhatt is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks