Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2010, 00:02   #1
BHPian

My new Chevrolet Captiva LTZ

I had been researching SUVS for over 6 months and finally postponed a decision till the SANTA FE and the YETI were launched. The SF disappointed me on the pricing and after the experiences of others on this forum with SKODA, I decided not to risk a SKODA.

That left me with little choice, as i found the ARIA and the ENDY too big for me and the safari looked dated. I finally plumped for the CAPTIVA LTZ and my decision was hurried along as the dealer with I had been talking to, rang up one day and said they have recieved 3 vehicles booked by themselves for diwali delivery, and I could have the white LTZ .
I fell for it and got delivery on 3rd Nov. I got a reverse car parking system with camera and sunfilm thrown in for free, but no other discounts on the list price. Based on the advice I found on BHP , I saved Rs 20,000 on the insurance!

I like the car for its roomy interiors, the smooth acceleration and pick up and I really did not find a noticeable lag in gear change in the autobox.The engine sound is well dampened. I also like the way the 3rd row folds up.
What I dont like is the quality of the music system and the positioning of the various switches. I cant adjust the base / treble either, on the music.

The 2nd row legspace is quite good for tall persons too.The braking is outstanding.I have been revving upto 2000 rpm and touched 2500 rpm occasionally during the running in period. Once the autobox gets into the 5th gear, the car hits speeds of over 80 kms at a shade less than 2000 rpm

Just waiting to hit the highway next week to Hyderabad, after the 1000km running in period and checkup/servicing as per manual.
But on the whole, i am delighted with my buy.
Old 12th November 2010, 11:50   #2
BANNED

Congrats on your purchase. Is yours an AWD version? Why not the T-Fort? What did it cost you OTR Blore? Did you manage any discounts/freebies? What is the warranty?

And a detailed delivery experience and pics please. Its been quite some time since a Captiva has come on TBHP.
Old 12th November 2010, 11:59   #3
BHPian

Congrats Vgsr for the new Captiva and a warm welcome to Team-BHP. as n.devdath said its been quite some time since a Captiva has come on TBHP.
Please upload some snaps of you white beast and please share the price details too

Thanks
S-G
Old 12th November 2010, 12:55   #4
Senior - BHPian

I totally love this car except for the fact that it does not have rear AC vents. Congrats on the purchase buddy. where are the pics & other details?

Happy motoring.
Old 12th November 2010, 14:03   #5
BHPian

Congrats vgsr on being the proud owner of a Captiva LTZ. Did you test drive the LT manual version as well or went straightway for the auto one. Is there a great price difference between the two. Do post some pics especially of interiors. And Happy and Safe motoring miles to you.
Old 12th November 2010, 15:14   #6
BHPian

hey VGSR
congratulations on your white beast, i too was contemplating buying it but decided to wait as new captiva is already out in international markets and will hit india mid next year..
even i was impressed with its breaking abilities, it kind of stops without any jerk, i mean it doesnot throw you out of seat it just settles you deeper
neverthless its great SUV and wish you many many happy miles in it.
regards
Old 12th November 2010, 15:47   #7
BHPian

Captiva is a real good choice...i love its looks...good choice!! Do post a few snaps buddy!!
Old 12th November 2010, 16:17   #8
BHPian

Thanx everyone.
I did not go for the Fortuner as I dont like to book and wait 6 months for a car, especially as i have long drives planned in in the next 4 months. Besides, I am not a hard core off roader. I went for the auto box LTZ as its good to have some extra torque on all the wheels if one is a in a sticky piece of tarmac especially if it weighs two tonnes. It cost me 24.03 OTR , after saving close to rs 20,000 on the insurance , thanks to BHP ( even before i joined).I got reverse sensors with camer and poly film for the windows as freebies. No discounts though. The manual Captiva LT costs about rs 2 lac less OTR. road
And ZZZ, as for the new captiva, its being launched in Europe in April 2011, and I gathered from the international websites that its likely to hit India only by Diwali, next year. The GM guys here dont seem to have a clue on the India launch of the 2011 Captiva and I didnt want to wait that long. Besides, with constant upgrades and new models, , there is always something new round the corner.
The rear vents is not a big issue for me as its usually my wife and I who are in the car. The 3rd row is unlikely to be used and so i have a huge boot space.
The warranty is a standard 2 years/50,000 km and no extended warranty is available.
I was not planning to post any photos as in a earlier captiva thread , someone else from ludhiana had posted quite a number , and I didnt want to repeat it. But if you guys think its alright to upload photos, i will.
And I must add that though I really enjoy taking the captiva out at the slightest excuse, I will really miss my Elantra GLS when it goes. Its truly a lovely car and its given me no trouble at all over 5 years of great driving.
vgsr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2010, 16:55   #9
Senior - BHPian

Congrats vgsr.

Who was the dealer and how was the experience with them?

Do post some pictures. If possible, a snap of the third row with someone seated.
Old 12th November 2010, 17:33   #10
BHPian

No I could not test drive the LTZ as no dealer had one. I did drive the manual and then spoke to 2 others who had recently bought the auto version. Info came from KROPEX auto, the dealer They had good things to say about the auto version , so I went for it.

Devdath asked for the detailed delivery experience. Kropex auto was my dealer. I had earlier been talking to Trident Chevrolet but they showed a disticnt lack of enthusiasm, The Kropex guys not only followed up but when they were about to get delivery of the dealer booked captivas, they called up and invited me to the showroom. They also brought the manual version home so that my wife could have a look feel. The came again on the 24th oct and took the booking amount. Since i had told them that i was getting a better quote on the insurance outside, they went ahead and arranged a a even better quite from TATA AIG and I went along. It took a week for the SBI loan to come through. It was relatively easier for me, I must confess because i had earlier worked in SBI.. So by, saturday the 30th Oct evening. my documentation was done. 1st Nov, Monday , being a holiday, the dealer went and picked up the cheque the next day, and promised delivery on the 3rd Nov. Though not planned , it turned out to be auspicious,the day of lakshmi puja , the day before Diwali, and a very busy day for the dealer. My sales person offered to pick us up, which I thought was very thoughtful. They picked us up a bit late by 6.30 pm. After some formalities and a reasonable explanation of the various knobs and switches we drove off at 8.30 pm.It made my day when the the guy who who took delivery of his new CRUZE, right next to my captiva , did a double take and paid more attention to my Captiva than his Cruze with a smile bigger than mine pasted on his face. Neighbours envy, owners pride ?

All temples were closing by then , so our formal temple puja happened early next morning by 7 am. probably better because it was peaceful and not rushed at all.

I had picked up all the tips from BHP so, i had checked that the car was in the show room all the time and not used as TD.It had 13 kms on the odo. I also checked the date of manufacture(Aug 2010 in Korea).

Overall the dealer experience was good. I could not meet the service/workshop manafger, ay the time of delivery as it was late. i will be meeting him next week to get to know about service details and get more familiar with the car when i go in for the 1000 km 'check' as GM calls it. The service interval as per manual is 5000 kms but the oil change etc is at 15000 kms.
vgsr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2010, 17:48   #11
BHPian

Congratulations vgsr on your buy

This is infact a lovely vehicle. It has good road presence, although not as big as fortuner. But as you had mentioned engine noise is well insulated and the engine is a tried and tested one, so no hassles on this too..

Have a happy and safe drive
Old 12th November 2010, 22:39   #12
BHPian

Congratulations on your buy. Please post some pics soon (as and when you get time ). More pics the better .
A year ago when I had test driven the captiva (just as a time pass ), I noticed a huge amount of turbo lag (not sure if it was specific to the test vehicle). Did you notice the same when you test drove the LT version.
I guess the turbo lag will be minimal in the Auto version.
Old 10th January 2011, 09:23   #13
BHPian

Re: my new captiva LTZ

hi VGSR
we are still awaiting pics for your white beast.
I have still not decided but more seriously thinking of captiva, what's your take on BMW X1 petrol being available at same price.
do pen your thoughts on it.
regards
Old 10th January 2011, 10:05   #14
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Actually now with the X1 on road for as less as about 27L, the Captiva seems a bit pricey for those who plan to travel max as a group of 5 but then the base X1 won't be AT so the comparo would be a 5L differential, and the Captiva may be better specked with diesel.

We need to see how the pricing changes with the new captiva being lauched next year. Do they go downward to match the competition.

Vgsr congrats. You made the best AT SUV selection possible today.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2011, 11:33   #15
Senior - BHPian

vgsr; seems you are busy with the Captiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Actually now with the X1 on road for as less as about 27L, the Captiva seems a bit pricey for those who plan to travel max as a group of 5 but then the base X1 won't be AT so the comparo would be a 5L differential, and the Captiva may be better specked with diesel.

X1 cant even sit 5 people in comfort. And I think base X1 wont stand anywhere near the gadgets Captiva has. And I guess Captiva's ride quality would be better.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks