Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2011, 13:22   #46
BHPian

Re: A New Breed Indeed. White Tata ARIA Pride.

Congrats psbali. The car looks stunning in white. Love the way you have captured those headlights and also the pic with the seats reclined. The car looks better with your photography skills

Last edited by aviorp : 1st February 2011 at 13:59.
Old 1st February 2011, 18:09   #47
Senior - BHPian

Thanks psbali for updating this thread at regular intervals. Your ARIA is munching miles at a brisk pace - Mumbai, Nagpur, Hyderabad. At this rate you will soon be writing a Long Term Ownership Report based on the ODO reading.
Old 2nd February 2011, 01:50   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psbali View Post
And oh yeah.. Just a bit of addition. The car is quite capable of delivering 25 kmpl if driven sedately at a continuous speed in the range of 80 to 110 which is only possible on highways. But I am quite surprised at the figure..
Are you sure? ARIA would be the most fuel economic S/MUV out there then

I mean are you able to get around 25kmpl consistently?
Old 2nd February 2011, 10:54   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviorp View Post
Congrats psbali. The car looks stunning in white. Love the way you have captured those headlights and also the pic with the seats reclined. The car looks better with your photography skills
that is anvancy's(team-bhp member) magic and not mine
though thanks a lot...

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
Thanks psbali for updating this thread at regular intervals. Your ARIA is munching miles at a brisk pace - Mumbai, Nagpur, Hyderabad. At this rate you will soon be writing a Long Term Ownership Report based on the ODO reading.
you are welcome amitwlele. well there are more trips planned in the car. i guess with Aria we'll be ditching air travel for a while now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gshanky View Post
Are you sure? ARIA would be the most fuel economic S/MUV out there then

I mean are you able to get around 25kmpl consistently?
well that figure is possible only between 80-110 and the car should be driven at a constant speed. for eg. driving constantly at 80 would give 25kmpl and driving constantly at 110 would also give 25kmpl but the acceleration from 80 to 110 would mess up the FE and could go as low as 5 kmpl which causes the average to go down as well. but yeah acheiving 20-25 on highways is quite possible if there is minimum braking and acceleration.

Another Update.

1. The reverse camera is not working properly. It switches off half way through reversing at times and needs to be engaged the second time. Have sort of missed hitting a motorcycle while reversing by a small margin due to that. I have noticed that it happens once the clutch is released.

2. Again got ESP, TCS and ABS fault yesterday. Issue gets solved after restarting the car. Have never got such ABS errors in my SX4. Really concerned that such errors should not crop up while the safety features are actually needed.

3. Car is still shaking while idling. Oh my!!

Error 1 & 2 maybe due to some lose connection like LobsterB's "Restricted Performance" case.

Will talk to dad before sending an email to Tata Aria Customer Care.

and yeah

Last edited by psbali : 2nd February 2011 at 10:58. Reason: Highlight. Addition.
psbali is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2011, 23:20   #50
BANNED

Quote:
and yeah
i know that it can be disheartening to have such issues, that too with a new vehicle!

Has the problem been resolved,any updates?

Last edited by DMehta : 7th February 2011 at 23:22.
Old 8th February 2011, 10:50   #51
BHPian

Seeing your updates only now...

Quote:
2. Again got ESP, TCS and ABS fault yesterday. Issue gets solved after restarting the car. Have never got such ABS errors in my SX4. Really concerned that such errors should not crop up while the safety features are actually needed.
One thing I had noticed regarding those sensor errors - it happened when the surrounding temperatures were well below normal in the night (< 15C). Hope that the issue is resolved now.
Old 25th February 2011, 17:08   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Will talk to dad before sending an email to Tata Aria Customer Care. and yeah
Hi @psbali,

I was following your thread since quite some time. Are you still facing the issues you mentioned above? it would be really helpful if you could provide any insight on how the problems are solved, that is, if they are?

Also eagerly waiting to hear on how Tata handled your problems.
Old 25th February 2011, 19:17   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LobsterB View Post
Seeing your updates only now...

One thing I had noticed regarding those sensor errors - it happened when the surrounding temperatures were well below normal in the night (< 15C). Hope that the issue is resolved now.
well I must say that it is a very accurate observation. I have never got the errors during the day and they have been only at night. And the temp being below 15Deg is quite possible as well. I didn't get the time to take it to the TASC but the error hasn't cropped up since. My fingers are crossed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappex View Post
Hi @psbali,

I was following your thread since quite some time. Are you still facing the issues you mentioned above? it would be really helpful if you could provide any insight on how the problems are solved, that is, if they are?

Also eagerly waiting to hear on how Tata handled your problems.
Hey Zappex you can't imagine the surprise I got when I saw my thread revived didn't not expect that at all.

Well I had no intention of updating it so soon but now that I am at it ill first answer your doubts.

1.The rear camera is still giving problems. But it is not as frequent nowadays. 4 year & 150k kms warranty has sort of spoilt me a bit so that is the reason why I am not taking it to the TASC yet.

2. As mentioned in the above post I haven't got the EPS, TCS & ABS error after the 2nd time. Though I read somewhere that if an equal tyre PSI is not maintained in all 4 tyres of a car that got traction control then there could be a problem. As TCS would constantly monitor traction of all 4 tyres and having an unequal tyre PSI in different tyres would have an impact in the traction reading. So I am guessing that unequal PSI could be the culprit.

3. Excessive vibration nowadays is not that frequent. Will still get the car checked for any issues.

The main problem is that there is only one TM dealer in Pune at present. And their workshop is very far for my place.. I guess an ex maruti dealership is gonna open a TM showroom soon. They seem to be better than Pandit Auto so Ill be waiting till they get their facility in place.

Driving this car on a 2lane highway is a totally different experience. Recently drove it from Akola to Pune and the 500 kms long highway is a mix of 2 lane and 4 lane highway. Never had so much fun on that stretch of highway before as this time I got to drive through out. While approaching Pune near Ranjangaon (4 lane) there was this Laura trailing a truck(on the right lane) and it had blocked the road by driving in the middle so that it could overtake that truck from whichever side. what I did was I took the car off-road and overtook the laura from left.

Sorry for being so rash and irresponsible but such drivers dont leave you with a choice. Also I could feel that the ESP was helping me. I could feel the steering control that I had momentarily lost was regained. And my main emphasis is not on breaking any rules but the car's off-road capability. And we didnt feel a thing inside the cabin when it was off-road.

The car is a totally different beast on the highway. I drove between 80-100 all the time but maintaining a constant speed did not feel like a task. And the best part is when you reach your destination after a long drive. The passengers would not be tired but would feel refreshed instead. It happens with me at least and the reason could be that I am used to travelling so much by car.

One of my few grouses with Aria is that the 3rd gear is the most useless. There is no low end punch while you are in the 3rd. And also what were they thinking by not providing us with a Dead Pedal for god's sake???

Ill also like to provide a little perspective.
I Dont know whether Aria's quality is comparable to Innova's or not. But let me tell you that I am really enjoying the exclusivity. There are quite a few Arias around but they are not carrying yellow number plates. It is a very custom made product and not a mass product. And it is any day a better attempt at providing the customers with something without charging them astronomical rates. Aria has created a new segment and my dad was exactly waiting for a car like Aria to launch. Otherwise he wouldn't have bought it on the first day of its launch when cars like laura, cruze, innova were already present. I am strictly speaking about the price segment.

Last edited by psbali : 25th February 2011 at 19:29. Reason: Addition.
psbali is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2011, 19:30   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Zappex you can't imagine the surprise I got when I saw my thread revived didn't not expect that at all.

Well I had no intention of updating it so soon but now that I am at it ill first answer your doubts.
Thanks a ton for the promt reply! and good to see that your experience is pleasant so far.

If you don't mind me suggesting please give your car for a thorough checkup to TASS. Its best to nip such problems in the bud!

Anyways, Congrats and enjoy your ride!
Old 2nd November 2011, 12:48   #55
BHPian

I am updating this thread after a really really long time. Last update being in February.

The car is about to complete 14k KMS and I gave the car for its 3rd Free Service.

The car is getting only better with time. After the 3rd service I feel the engine has become more refined or maybe it is just a perception that engines should get better and more free revving after their proper running in? Don't want to bother with that but driving my Aria is a totally different experience nowadays. Gearshifts are super slick and only a level below what I have in my SX4 Diesel.

A lot has happened since Feb. We have taken it to nearby places and long drives have been put on hold. We were supposed to drive to delhi for a wedding but my dad then realised that it would be too much. Is he really getting old or what. In feb we took the delivery of our SX4 Diesel and it has clocked 30k Kms already and I am little surprised that even after having such a smooth, comfortable and a spacious vehicle we have to rely on Air travel.

Now A friend of mine who works in DC (Dilip Chabaria wala DC, Obama wala nahi :P) payed a visit and being surrounded by different cars he was really very interested in getting a round in the car. We were off on our way, drove a bit and came back. Upon getting down from the car I saw that the driver side front tire is flat. Quickly got into mechanic mode, removed the stepny and changed the flat tire. Upon inspection I didnt find a single nail or anything that had caused that so thought that the Air valve might have burst and leaned the tire against the pillar in my parking.

Now I started tightening the screws and got up to put the tire in the designated place and to my horror I saw that the tire got a Cut on the sidewall all the color from my face and environment drained. I knew that this one thing cannot be repaired. A whole freaking tire worth 13k is just a normal rubber now. My friend freaked out too and till date apologizes as he thinks that it wouldn't have happened had he not asked for that round.

Then what? Called up the dealer and informed him about it and was asked to take it to the service center. I submitted the tire for inspection and was informed that night that it is not a manufacturing defect but road impact. Called up my uncle who works in good year and he got us 25% discount on the new tire. Now it could have easily been 50% but I sent a very strong worded email to goodyear which my uncle also got along with his counterpart in Pune. Guess I should have had some patience. Now when I called the dealership and spoke to the manager who handled our purchase informed that goodyear tires that came with initial Arias have a problem. They deflate on their own and one of their cars even got a sidewall cut in a stationary position. I thought that it is a manufacturing defect and bashed them up in every way possible. Complained on FB page, sent emails to higher ups in Tata Motors, Registered a complaint with consumer forums and also with goodyear.

Result? Could have easily got 50% but I had to open my mouth and not be the diplomatic person I normally am. Anyway it is past now and I am really happy with my Aria. Just that I still get scared when I have to go over broken roads which are available in wholesale in Pune. I dont feel very confident driving it over such roads. In case I go even a little fast over bump or anything the moment I stop the car I get down and check all the tires.

I have had zilch niggles after my complaints were sorted out. But I now know how Tata just induces that fear in you. It is like customers wait for and expect things to happen with their cars.

My rear view cam was fluttering and used to engage at times and other times it was intermittent. They repaired the unit without the need of any replacement. And it has worked just fine.

I had that ABS Fault, TCS Fault and ESP Fault very frequently and during my 3rd free service I pursued it a lot with them and they connected their laptop and showed me that it is not an electronic failure but when the power supply to the ECU falls below 10v it shows error. And yeah even the comp diagnosis showed the same result, other possibility could be in case the fuse had blown but that would render the feature useless unless the fuse is replaced.

It is more of my error than an electronic error. As my Aria was just parked for a good part of this year the battery used to take time to recharge fully and hence the error which goes away after switching off and switching on the car.

But now that I have been driving my Aria a lot since my petrol sx4 finally got a buyer, that problem hasn't surfaced. Even the massive vibration problem that we had is gone now.

The drive is a lot smoother and there is a very refined growl to the engine that I have started loving. I got the engine oil changed @ 12k when I went to get the reverse camera prob sorted out.

All in all really happy with the vehicle.

And yeah my response to Aria being a DUD. Let me tell you 250+ nos IMHO is not bad. That was the segment(or is it in any?) average before Fortuner came into picture but I also agree that there were buyers but apart from few options they didnt have much choice. The moment Fortuner was introduced those buyers came forward.

Also with all the comparison with XUV500.. It is damn good vehicle and has repeated what fortuner did. But I would say I prefer the clean looks of Aria over XUV's Quircky looks. And as for interior quality I again prefer the way Tata hasn't used shiny plastic inside. As for all the gizmos I would have doubts with Mahindra and Tata combined. But I beleive that Mahindra will have a more sorted out product but Aria hasnt given me a reason to complain either. It is more of a 7 seater as compared to XUV.

And as for Aria being overpriced by what 1.5 to 2 lacs? Fortuner is 10 lacs more than what it should be sold at.

It is all about the product and not about the pricing. Make your peace with it. It is because of TATA Motor's past mistakes that this car is not selling. It is definitely not just because of pricing. Pricing plays an important part but only upto a certain level.

Though would have been interesting to see how XUV would have done at the exact price point. Well we will know when they re-open bookings and introduce new prices.

I have also read few people commenting on how no one will buy an MUV like Aria for offroading. I would only say that it is a soft roader. And offroading is a job best left to cars like Fotuner, Endeavor & Pajero. Not XUV, Aria, Captiva, Cr-V.

Though I hope I myself haven't deviated from my own topic. Just there are too many thread on this topic.

And oh it is my Aria's birthday month. I took the DELIVERY on 19th Nov. My dad's birthday as well.

And apologize for not sharing actively in the forum as I didnt have much to share. Will keep this thread going regularly now.
psbali is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2011, 14:33   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Now when I called the dealership and spoke to the manager who handled our purchase informed that goodyear tires that came with initial Arias have a problem. They deflate on their own and one of their cars even got a sidewall cut in a stationary position. I thought that it is a manufacturing defect and bashed them up in every way possible. Complained on FB page, sent emails to higher ups in Tata Motors, Registered a complaint with consumer forums and also with goodyear.
One of my Aria's goodyear also had a sidewall cut (almost 4cm long and very close the rim) at around 17K Kms (May 2011). The vehicle was parked at the shoulder of highway for lunch when we noticed a very audible air leaking sound. At that point of time I thought it was due to some sharp object like broken glass bottle. We had stopped for lunch after a non-stop 300+ Km run and was wondering how something could cut it that close to the rim for a tyre of this profile. I still have this tyre at home, may be will take this up with Goodyear and Tata Service Center guys.
Old 2nd November 2011, 14:40   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am updating this thread after a really really long time. Last update being in February.

The car is about to complete 14k KMS and I gave the car for its 3rd Free Service.

It is all about the product and not about the pricing. Make your peace with it. It is because of TATA Motor's past mistakes that this car is not selling. It is definitely not just because of pricing. Pricing plays an important part but only upto a certain level.

Though would have been interesting to see how XUV would have done at the exact price point. Well we will know when they re-open bookings and introduce new prices.

I have also read few people commenting on how no one will buy an MUV like Aria for offroading. I would only say that it is a soft roader. And offroading is a job best left to cars like Fotuner, Endeavor & Pajero. Not XUV, Aria, Captiva, Cr-V.

And oh it is my Aria's birthday month. I took the DELIVERY on 19th Nov. My dad's birthday as well.
Welcome back to your thread psbali That was really a long time.

Good to read that most of your niggles are gone now and it has been a trouble free ownership.

I agree with both the above points that you have mentioned about the Aria. I also strongly feel that lot of people stay away from TATA cars because of the bad image that it has created for itself. I know they are themselves to blame and i think they are doing a good job in carrying out improvements. But it is going to take some time. Enough of off topic rambling.

Before i forget wishing your dad and the Aria a Very Happy Birthday in advance.
Old 2nd November 2011, 15:54   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LobsterB View Post
One of my Aria's goodyear also had a sidewall cut (almost 4cm long and very close the rim) at around 17K Kms (May 2011). The vehicle was parked at the shoulder of highway for lunch when we noticed a very audible air leaking sound. At that point of time I thought it was due to some sharp object like broken glass bottle. We had stopped for lunch after a non-stop 300+ Km run and was wondering how something could cut it that close to the rim for a tyre of this profile. I still have this tyre at home, may be will take this up with Goodyear and Tata Service Center guys.
Shoot!! My main concern was my safety. Aafter that drive with my friend I couldnt believe that it could be a road impact as I had just taken the car for a spin around my society which got really good and smooth road. I was really scared that in case it is a manufacturing defect then the tire might just burst while driving and god knows what would happen. And even the cut on my tire's side wall was running from the rim till the tread.

I know one Aria owner from Aria's FB page. He had a massive problem with the alignment and he complained with TM and got all 5 tires changed to bridgestone free of cost. Should have updated this earlier then we could have both complained to TM. And I have erased all the proof from my mobile but you can seriously pursue it.

Though they sent me the report stating that the sidewall cut was due to road impact and I dont think so I can do anything about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
Welcome back to your thread psbali That was really a long time.

Good to read that most of your niggles are gone now and it has been a trouble free ownership.

I agree with both the above points that you have mentioned about the Aria. I also strongly feel that lot of people stay away from TATA cars because of the bad image that it has created for itself. I know they are themselves to blame and i think they are doing a good job in carrying out improvements. But it is going to take some time. Enough of off topic rambling.

Before i forget wishing your dad and the Aria a Very Happy Birthday in advance.
Thanks a lot Amit. Yeah I am having a trouble free ownership. And really enjoying the vehicle a lot. It is really light on your pocket as far as service goes but things like tire sidewall cuts can really ruin that experience. My oil change costed me just 3k with the filter and on the other hand an out of the blue 10k gone with no error of mine just sucks.

And yeah Ill pass on your wishes to my dad and my Aria

Last edited by psbali : 2nd November 2011 at 15:56. Reason: additon
Old 22nd November 2012, 15:36   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Shoot!! My main concern was my safety. Aafter that drive with my friend I couldnt believe that it could be a road impact as I had just taken the car for a spin around my society which got really good and smooth road. I was really scared that in case it is a manufacturing defect then the tire might just burst while driving and god knows what would happen. And even the cut on my tire's side wall was running from the rim till the tread.
Yup totally second your thought that it happened in your society. Shudder to think if something like this happens on the highway.

Good to know that there is atleast your Aria other than mine which is not yet in the 30k to 40k mileage range like most others here on TBHP.

Enjoy the ride as always.

Cheers
Old 24th January 2013, 18:11   #60
BHPian

Congrats on the buy. The car is an absolute stunner for a MPV and the Range Rover inspired interiors just look brilliant. Sad that it doesn't sell more and managed a nearly non-existent 5 buys in December 12. Would love to see this beast more often out on the open road.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks