Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2011, 10:03   #91
BHPian

Re: A new beginning - Tata Safari 2.2 VTT DICOR EX QUARTZ BLACK

Fourth free service (30K) was completed yesterday smoothly; brake pads still have 5000kms left, so I think I will wait and pick up the TVS pads from JC Road sometime for the replacement.

Bulgy feels more tighter after the service with less of the rattles and somewhat more composed. Finally got the broken rear fog lamp replaced, it was looking little ugly with the broken one. By the way, I also noticed that some other Safaris on the road had this fog lamp broken, looks like one of the first things to take a hit from behind.

Wiper blades were also replaced, working smoothly now. I was expecting clutch fluid replacement in the final bill but only brake fluid was mentioned, when I enquired SA said both brake & clutch use same dot 3 oil or something.. is that so?
Just hoping they did change clutch fluid.

Had refused wheel alignment & balancing since I had done it a month or so ago at Tyre Empire, maybe I'll go in for it separately after anothder 5000kms.

I think time for some waxing, the earlier waxing seems to have faded away.
Maintenance sheet looks like this.
Attached Thumbnails
A new beginning - Tata Safari 2.2 VTT DICOR EX QUARTZ BLACK-30k.jpg  

verditer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2011, 17:22   #92
BHPian

Hi
I just TD-ed the Safari yesterday. I've never felt the kind of one-ness with a vehicle as i felt it behind Safari. It was percepion altering!!!

I was just perplexed and deeply perturbed with so many passing references about 'regular Safari niggles' that your thread came as a silver lining. I must tell you that your regular updates on your exxperiences, niggles and highs of living the Safari way meant a lot ...seeing someone detail out the experince so clearly just works like magic in cutting the seemingly humungous 'issues' that one imagines and putting them to rest.

Thanks!

p.s:
I had been looking at sedans till recently, but have revaluated my needs and have been looking at SUVs in a budget of 10-11 L. Safari induces sheer positive vibe and infuses passion. I think i'll stretch my budget a bit and got for ABS-EBD option ... its on-road price is around 12 L in delhi. Since you drive a lot on highways, do you think ABS-EBD is going to be helpful?
Old 2nd September 2011, 17:18   #93
BHPian

inomad: You've just experienced a cult vehicle. However hard you try to look away, you cannot - she'll pull your heart strings like no other.
Niggles or no niggles, she'll keep you grinning end to end, kilometer after kilometer.
Safari is always a heart buy; Love her for all she is, and no hate for what she is not.

ABS EBD is a good thing to have, go for it if you can afford. Anyway you anyway get more goodies in GX, VX than EX. I have skidded a few times, ABS might've helped, may be to an extent.

And pls start a thread when a Safari is at your command. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by inomad View Post
Hi
I just TD-ed the Safari yesterday. I've never felt the kind of one-ness with a vehicle as i felt it behind Safari. It was percepion altering!!!

I was just perplexed and deeply perturbed with so many passing references about 'regular Safari niggles' that your thread came as a silver lining. I must tell you that your regular updates on your exxperiences, niggles and highs of living the Safari way meant a lot ...seeing someone detail out the experince so clearly just works like magic in cutting the seemingly humungous 'issues' that one imagines and putting them to rest.

Thanks!

p.s:
I had been looking at sedans till recently, but have revaluated my needs and have been looking at SUVs in a budget of 10-11 L. Safari induces sheer positive vibe and infuses passion. I think i'll stretch my budget a bit and got for ABS-EBD option ... its on-road price is around 12 L in delhi. Since you drive a lot on highways, do you think ABS-EBD is going to be helpful?
Old 4th October 2011, 18:01   #94
BHPian

The brakes are nearing end life, and it looks like time to change them; TASS had quoted around Rs.5K for new set + labour; and I read in the Safari problems thread that you can get full set for around Rs. 2K in JC Road, and labout would be around Rs. 400.
Need to visit JC Road soon.

Bulgy is at 32000kms now and doing splendid. No long drives in recent past, has been helping me do the daily Hosur-Whitefield runs in a breeze. The engine purr is a pleasure to hear, and is very smooth and silent.
Yes there are few rattles here and there that annoy me, I try to fix them now and then as time permits.
Old 4th October 2011, 18:33   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by verditer View Post
The brakes are nearing end life, and it looks like time to change them; TASS had quoted around Rs.5K for new set + labour; and I read in the Safari problems thread that you can get full set for around Rs. 2K in JC Road, and labout would be around Rs. 400.
Suresh, Its better to stay with TASS for a sensitive and serious changes like Brakes though its expensive, agreed, though its doubly expensive. My sincere advice would be to go with TASS.
I think, you are used to KHT service center and happy with it. If you have doubts, go to Concorde service center in Hosur road.
If you need a personal reference in Concorde, I can get you one.

Prem.
kaviprem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2011, 18:42   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
Suresh, Its better to stay with TASS for a sensitive and serious changes like Brakes though its expensive, agreed, though its doubly expensive. My sincere advice would be to go with TASS.
I think, you are used to KHT service center and happy with it. If you have doubts, go to Concorde service center in Hosur road.
If you need a personal reference in Concorde, I can get you one.

Prem.
Thanks Prem. You are right, I'll stick with KHT.. My plan is to buy the pads and take to KHT for fitting, and pay them only labour.. They had said it is ok to do this, and warranty will not affect as pads are wear and tear item.
Will confirm once again with them before I do this. Lets see how this turns out.
Old 4th October 2011, 20:19   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I got the set of Brake pads from Yelahanka for 1350/-, even took it to Prerana where i confirmed it's authenticity, but the S.A told me there that my Safari's Brake pads still have life in them and would change them at the next service (60k).

Old 5th October 2011, 14:12   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
I got the set of Brake pads from Yelahanka for 1350/-, even took it to Prerana where i confirmed it's authenticity, but the S.A told me there that my Safari's Brake pads still have life in them and would change them at the next service (60k).
Are these pads specific to Safari, or generic? I'm thinking I might even get this in Hosur, the pads being TVS make. That will save me a 3 hour trip to JC Road...
Old 5th October 2011, 16:10   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by verditer View Post
Are these pads specific to Safari, or generic? I'm thinking I might even get this in Hosur, the pads being TVS make. That will save me a 3 hour trip to JC Road...
I think somewhere there is photographs in forum of packaging of Safari brake pads. It will give you fair idea.
Old 5th October 2011, 20:25   #100
Senior - BHPian

They are specific to Safari 2.2 Dicor, the package has a part number on it, they are manufactured by TVS Girling.
Old 16th October 2011, 21:12   #101
BHPian

Had the first puncture yesterday; The right rear one had lost almost all air; The foot pump came handy to fill in some to drive to the nearby roadside guy who fixed it quick for Rs.150.
Old 16th October 2011, 22:47   #102
BHPian

Sorry to hear about the puncture, but have you ever tried to remove the punctured tyre yourself. It would have been a nightmare if you had tried it.
Old 15th November 2011, 13:21   #103
BHPian

5 Days short of 1 Year. Insurance policy had to be renewed, went in with Royal Sundaram who offered best quote.

Bulgy is at 34,300kms on ODO now. Over last few weekends fixed the rattles, not much rattles now. Main culprits were front passenger seat, seat belt harness level adjusters, rear door and the front seats push-pull mechanism.. Some lubrication resolved these nicely.

No other issues to report, fuel efficiency should be around 12, haven't checked in a while closely.

Need to get around to change the brake pads too, been held up with other chores...
Old 21st November 2011, 14:13   #104
BHPian

Well, Bulgy completed the first year with me yesterday rather quietly.
ODO at 34500 odd kms.
Spent the Sunday cleaning and resting her well.

Has been a trouble free, incident free year and looking forward to more such years.
Old 22nd November 2011, 18:02   #105
BHPian

Good to know about your Safari experience. There are a few other threads as well of largely satisfied owners.

My family and myself love this car and wish to buy one. We have some outings planned in Dec and my family insists we must do those in a new Safari!

I am in favor of waiting for Merlin though the wait just keeps getting longer.

In the meantime, our residential society is re-allocating parking lots for a fee. I need one since I am not going to sell off my well doing Wagon R so soon. They are offering parking lots only against an existing car - not against soon to be bought one!

So we are close to deciding in favor of GX - white.

I know, a tough call. What if Merlin lands up within a few days of buying GX?

Suggestions please!
mayuresh is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed