Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2010, 22:48   #16
Senior - BHPian

Congrats buddy. Good decision. May you enjoy miles of peaceful driving & blissful ownership experience with your scorpio.
Old 24th November 2010, 23:09   #17
Senior - BHPian

Congrats buddy. Happy and safe driving. A very unique colour too, not seen too many in this colour.

IMO Scorpio dont have ACC and I really need Mahindra to provide in next 6 months when I would be buying.

BTW did you test/confirm more about ACC?
Old 25th November 2010, 08:55   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

You don't need to check the car manual for ACC. There will be an auto switch on the dash along with a digital/analog switch to set the desired temperature. I will be pleasantly surprised if it has ACC. I find it very useful, but the boffins at Mahindra have given priority to Rain sensing wipers and automatic headlights !!
Old 25th November 2010, 11:47   #19

I am very much thankful to you-comfortablynumb,NFS,Jeeva,gshanky,4x4addict,raj_5004,TaureanBull for your wishes.
No,I had no idea about ACC and how it operates, I asked him because it was in Team-BPH PDI checklist. I did not look for or noticed any such switch mentioned by 4x4addict so I assume that there is no ACC.
@4x4addict and raj_5004 : I am great fan of yours and probably have read every word in all your posts about Scorpio. I welcome any of your suggestions regarding any aspect. I am a LKG student among all you Doctorates.
@raj_5004:I remember having read in your's and GTO's posts that sun films of V-Cool are best( Prabhadevi) and for seat covers of g-sport near Milan Subway. Is that still same or any change of place?
@comfortablynumb: I also don’t like idea of BulBar as well,none of my earlier cars had that. But, in Mumbai,the traffic is horrible and cars and all sorts of vehicles love and frequently kiss each other. They don’t damage but the love bites remains. I thought the front and hind bars would at least protect those parts. I am in double mind.
I am adding one more photo of engine.
Attached Thumbnails
Scorpio VLX 4WD finally arrived home !!!!-img00120201011231426.jpg  

Old 25th November 2010, 11:57   #20
BHPian

Congratulations. I like the color options for the 4x4. I like that you convinced your wifey, the same way I did. Sure they like the drive and big presence. All the best for your new vehicle and wish you many more happy miles.
Old 25th November 2010, 12:40   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwakarmuthu View Post
Congratulations. I like the color options for the 4x4. I like that you convinced your wifey, the same way I did. Sure they like the drive and big presence. All the best for your new vehicle and wish you many more happy miles.
Thanks a lot for your wishes. In fact photo of stockyard in your post inspired me to go all the way to Khopoli stockyard and take photos.
I agree convincing wife and daughter was the most diffecult part. In towns and smaller places this brand has been notoriously monopolised by men in "white" and "black" as well. I don't know how you did it? But in my case its the Java Brown colour which made the difference. I had an argument, you all liked this colour and none of these Ws and Bs have that,so we are different and in much sobar league .
Old 7th December 2010, 16:44   #22

Hi again

Hi. Returning after a long gap. Meantime lots of things happened such as closing and then opening of this thread with new heading with help from MODs. Delay in registration .. etc. Finally my dear Scorpio arrived at home on 30th Nov’2010.
Booking and Buying experience: I have already written as to how I chose Scorpio so not going into it. My company booked Scorpio VLX BS4 4WD with Airbags directly with Mahindra’s. The RTO registration and other formalities to be done by dealer G3, Mumbai ( On road cost 12lakhs approx). Mahindra delivered Vehicle to dealer within a week i.e. on 17th Nov.Then my trauma of documents bungling by my company people/dealer started, the model details, address of my company, every possible details- not matching in each document -to be corrected on all ends including cumbersome SAP systems. Then my going out of station also didn’t help. There was a RTO problem about address proof but finally on 30th Nov all was well and Scorpio was registered and home delivered to me. I have not visited the dealer yet. The dealer has been cooperative and I must mention that Mahindras were very quick and most helpful. The driver, who delivered had no clue about vehicle. But I was confident because of Team BHP. I read all the threads about Scorpio 4WD.
When I started driving this majestic vehicle, I have observed and experience few aspects.
Cons: When I went to fill Diesel, to my horror I found there is considerable leakage. So, I requested petrol pump to use funnel, it helped a little but it’s very slow. Now I am filling few liters’ at a time with funnel. Luckily there is no leakage except while filling. But I can not calculate mileage till I rectify it.
The blue tooth worked a while but now it doesn’t. It calls or accepts call but immediately transfers to handset. Basically not working.
The AC vent knob (Middle left) Jam refuses to budge.( Poor workmanship)The tyretronics may not have been showing correct readings. I went to petrol pump,set 32psi in each tyre. But the instrument reads 31 to 37 psi for different tyres. Probably need to check at Service center.The duplicate remote key not functional.
There is much scope for improvement in fine tuning and finishing of Plastic interiors. Another, aspect which I noticed is lack of compartments for keeping things. There is a small glove box, which is hopelessly inadequate. There are three holes near gear handle; I am trying to figure what those are for. There is a compartment in door. But if I want to put or take wallet, I have to bend sideways so much that I fear a sprain in my waist. If I keep anything in Dickey or on seat, it tends to roll over. I really want some suggestions, as to whether is it possible to add some compartments anywhere so that things like CDs, Laptops, small bags can be kept without rolling. May be with Lock.
Dealers expert came to give me demo but he couldn’t add to anything more. He couldn’t explain immobilizer coding and functions. Also in 4WD the knob shows 4H and 4L, he explained 4H is high, hence more powerful than 4L (4Lower). I thought it was other way round.
So my visit to Service Center is imminent to sort out all these technical issues.
Pros :
As soon as I give ignition, the engine throbbed, the engine pulse resonating with my own; we both knew that we each found a perfect match. Then I slid up the glasses, it became silent inside.( I love silence). The sound system is good and functional; I say it because my wife and kids and certified it so. The clutch and gear shifts is very smooth and is as good if not better than that of optra/civic/swift all petrol, which previously I owned. ( Only thing I observed is low fast vibrations in gear lever at high speeds, I don’t know whether it is standard or will go with time ? Also there is a lag of second or two when I accelerate, which was not observed in optra/civic/swift). Or else, it has power, looks mighty and monstrous (I now get a second looks from some people, who otherwise ). The high seats give a commanding position to drive and are comfortable and keep my back straight. All the auto gizmos have manual override. Ac is cooling well. I also like microhybrid system and its quick response. Now I don’t fear three wheelers and mobikes. The suspension gives comfortable ride even on rough roads. The Cruz was very relaxing. I simply put it on cruz mode at 85kmh on expressway and then did nothing but to relax. I have yet to test the 4WD system, but I will soon.
Overall, I finally found what gives me pleaser and pride.
On the basis of Team BPH posts info, I called VKool guys. They came home and fitted economy 60L films, very efficiently, not a bubble or scratch. (Rs.13000). Vkool is very good and effective. I could feel the difference.
I am confused about bulbar and seat covers, the more posts I read more I get confused. Are the sensors/lights not vulnerable and can get protection due front and rear bulbar? Any words of experience from Mumbai about both? Other things I have in mind is wall to wall poly-mat.
I have earlier posted pics when Scorpio was in stockyard. Now, I have some more photos but I am figuring out as to how to remove that registration number and post. I will narrate further experience and output of my visit to Service center and also post Pics.
Anil
Old 7th December 2010, 18:22   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankaps View Post
Cons: When I went to fill Diesel, to my horror I found there is considerable leakage. So, I requested petrol pump to use funnel, it helped a little but it’s very slow. Now I am filling few liters’ at a time with funnel. Luckily there is no leakage except while filling. But I can not calculate mileage till I rectify it.
The blue tooth worked a while but now it doesn’t. It calls or accepts call but immediately transfers to handset. Basically not working.
The AC vent knob (Middle left) Jam refuses to budge.( Poor workmanship)The tyretronics may not have been showing correct readings. I went to petrol pump,set 32psi in each tyre. But the instrument reads 31 to 37 psi for different tyres. Probably need to check at Service center.The duplicate remote key not functional.
So many issues should not be present in a brand new vehicle.

Quote:
Now, I have some more photos but I am figuring out as to how to remove that registration number and post. I will narrate further experience and output of my visit to Service center and also post Pics.
Anil
Use MS paint to erase the number, simplest method.
Old 7th December 2010, 19:30   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Hi. Returning after a long gap.
========
I will narrate further experience and output of my visit to Service center and also post Pics.
Anil
Hi Anil,

Please accept my heartiest congratulations on getting the beast. It indeed is a great vehicle (although with minor niggles, guess those are ok for a vehicle this size and it's Indian heritage, hope nobody shoots for me after this). I had the same dilemma when I was looking for a new car/SUV last year. I switched between ANHC/Laura/Octavia/Linea and eventually settled for Scorpio VLX (Java brown, 2WD). I bought the car on 28th Sep'09 and since then have clocked 32K and enjoyed every bit of it. The best part of my day is my commute to office and back (total of 90 KMs per day). Love the enviuos looks I get from everyone around and you are spot on about ricks/mobikes etc keeping safe distance.

I too thought of going for Vcool but then dropped the idea since VLX comes with tinted windows/windscreens by default (not sure if that's true for Sle/Lx). I can vouch for it since my windscreen has been replaced thrice in last 14 months (company lease, depreciation is covered, I don't have to pay a penny) and each time service center insisted that they will put the recommended windscreen only. I do Gurgaon-Faridabad stretch everyday (notoriuos for trucks and loose debri everywhere, new highway is being made). So loose rocks from trucks ahead of me/in the opposite direction and bang, there you have a chipped windscreen. My bad, has happened thrice already but no chips from my pocket, hence am all relaxed. I think the default tints pretty much do the job, my two cents.

Cheers, Sid
Old 8th December 2010, 10:51   #25

Re: Scorpio VLX 4WD finally arrived home !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
So many issues should not be present in a brand new vehicle.

Use MS paint to erase the number, simplest method.
Yes I agree that so many issues should not be present though they are minor ones and actually not affecting on road performance. I really wonder about the quality of those PDI checks they do at factory and by the dealer. I am just waiting to go to service station to resolve these issues at one go. I am sure they will. And thanks for MS paint tip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sid1509 View Post
Hi Anil,

Please accept my heartiest congratulations on getting the beast. It indeed is a great vehicle (although with minor niggles, guess those are ok for a vehicle this size and it's Indian heritage, hope nobody shoots for me after this).Cheers, Sid
Thanks a lot sid1509. You have realy put me at ease. I think you are safe,we have to accept our heritage with equanimity.
Yes,the VLX comes with tinted glasses. But I added VKool as additional protection. And it is making the difference. Thanks again.
Anil
Old 16th December 2010, 21:34   #26
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hi again

Congrats on your new acquisition. I got my Rocky Beige VLX 4WD a few days after yours. However touchwood, its been issueless.

Quote:

Then I slid up the glasses, it became silent inside.( I love silence).
What I found was that the engine sounds courser than before, maybe some cost cutting has happenned in terms of sound deadeners. Obviously the rear mudflaps has turned black (uncloloured) from the previously body-coloured ones.

Quote:
The sound system is good and functional;
Yes just good enough, but speaker quality could be better (much better for a vehicle costing 12lakhs plus)

Quote:
Now I don’t fear three wheelers and mobikes.
Oh how do you say that?!! I am having sleepless nights because of them. Earlier I used to think that driving an SUV keeps you above everything. However that very fact becomes a disadvantage, as you do not see those poor chaps (overtaking from the left) till they reach the bonnet. Theres always a constant worry of running them over. Atleast in a car, you are sure that the damage will only be yours.

Quote:
The Cruz was very relaxing. I simply put it on cruz mode at 85kmh on expressway and then did nothing but to relax. Anil
The manual advises avoiding to drive at fixed speeds for extended periods in the first 1000kms.

The manual also advises not to drive at low speed and high gear in the first 1000 kms.

Enjoy your 4x4!
Old 16th December 2010, 22:29   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

ankaps, firstly congratulations on getting the car.

I was shocked to see the number of issues you are having with the vehicle. However small they might be. Make sure you get all of it rectified in time, sooner the better. My advise, don't wait for 1st service etc and pay a visit to the service center as soon as possible.

Wishing you many happy miles with it! Both on road and off it
Old 17th December 2010, 07:35   #28
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

some suggestions for you my friend. and congrats too!

Quote:
Cons: When I went to fill Diesel, to my horror I found there is considerable leakage. The blue tooth worked a while but now it doesn’t. It calls or accepts call but immediately transfers to handset. Basically not working.
The AC vent knob (Middle left) Jam refuses to budge.( Poor workmanship)The tyretronics may not have been showing correct readings. I went to petrol pump,set 32psi in each tyre. But the instrument reads 31 to 37 psi for different tyres. Probably need to check at Service center.The duplicate remote key not functional. These are definitely unacceptable problems and should not have happened. Take it straight to the workshop and demand rectification.
There is much scope for improvement in fine tuning and finishing of Plastic interiors. Another, aspect which I noticed is lack of compartments for keeping things. There is a small glove box, which is hopelessly inadequate. There are three holes near gear handle; I am trying to figure what those are for. There is a compartment in door. But if I want to put or take wallet, I have to bend sideways so much that I fear a sprain in my waist. If I keep anything in Dickey or on seat, it tends to roll over. The three holes near the gear lever - one for the ashtray and a couple for bottle/ glass holders. Accessing the door compartment when the door is closed is a pain I agree. Glove box in general is quite small and quite useless except for small things like sunglasses etc. Things rolling over in the rear side is a normal problem. Best is to invest in a tool kit bag/gym bag type thing and keep all car related things inside that and let it remain permanently in the boot. Thats what I do.
I really want some suggestions, as to whether is it possible to add some compartments anywhere so that things like CDs, Laptops, small bags can be kept without rolling. May be with Lock. No this is not normally possible. What you can do however, is to buy a separate hard box, with lock for storage of all these odds and ends. It is possible to install such a box in the dickey area with a couple of velcro straps to secure the same, but it involves some little effort and a good chap to install the same for you without spoiling the vehicle.
Dealers expert came to give me demo but he couldn’t add to anything more. He couldn’t explain immobilizer coding and functions. Also in 4WD the knob shows 4H and 4L, he explained 4H is high, hence more powerful than 4L (4Lower). I thought it was other way round. 4H is used for relatively easier going while off the tarmac where you can go at slightly higher speeds. 4L is for really low gear, super slow going on extremely slushy, wet grass type surfaces and extremely rutted or otherwise bad roads. DO NOT switch your vehicle to 4WD mode while cruising at higher speeds on tarmac, you will ruin the 4WD system. Only use 4WD while driving on no road type areas or while if at all going cross country on a softer surface. This is a good practice to ensure longer life of the vehicle, its 4WD system and the differential gear system as well as the engine because it causes less strain.
( Only thing I observed is low fast vibrations in gear lever at high speeds, I don’t know whether it is standard or will go with time ? Gear lever does tend to vibrate a bit. Also there is a lag of second or two when I accelerate, which was not observed in optra/civic/swift). Yes it is after all a Turbo Diesel. There is always a marginal turbo lag between 1000 RPM and 1500-1800Rpm when the turbo kicks in.But overall once you get used to it, you will learn to budget for that while driving. The transition from a petrol driven car normally causes this fact to get highlighted.
Anil
Old 17th December 2010, 09:38   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@shankar: I like your idea of keeping a small gym bad with essentials in the Scorpio. I find it difficult to find place to keep stuff I need in the like hand wipes, basic first aid kit etc as there is not space at all for these things.
Old 17th December 2010, 09:51   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Obviously the rear mudflaps has turned black (uncloloured) from the previously body-coloured ones.
Damn, I noticed it in the pics after this comment of your's. A very very bad move by mahindra who is generally not known for such cost cutting measures. Infact in my pre-refresh scorpio, they have been generous in sound deadening.

Now this is typical toyota attitude mahindra is trying to copy.

Can we be sure that this is a cost cutting move or this has some other purpose - either aesthetic or functional?

Last edited by raj_5004 : 17th December 2010 at 09:52.

Most Viewed