Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2011, 22:34   #46
BHPian

Re: My White Maruti Swift VDi (ABS)

Thanks @bhp_maniac. I shall get that one. Also I recently got a can of WD40. I was searching everywhere but I found it in a small shop just beside my house. If anyone is looking for the case PM me and I shall mail the address. It costed me Rs 235 only for 400ml.
Old 18th January 2011, 05:41   #47
BHPian

Car is running great as usual. Brought some cleaning stuff that is worth recommending here.
My White Maruti Swift VDi (ABS)-car-cleaning-products.jpg

Micro fibre from turtle:
My White Maruti Swift VDi (ABS)-img_5348.jpg

Last edited by Anandg : 18th January 2011 at 05:44.
Old 21st January 2011, 23:41   #48
BHPian

Took my car for a long drive with my family today at 10:30pm towards EC / hosur rd.
The city looked awesome. The best part was I could floor the pedal on the car due to no traffic and the car showed its true potential. Every one inside asked me to slow down within seconds the turbo at 2k kicked in, due to speed goosebumps. It has only covered 1400kms so far and I am eager to see 3k on odo. City rides are equally comfortable in the car. This car fulfills what I expect from a car to be.
Old 30th January 2011, 02:07   #49
BHPian

I visited my friends newly purchased flat in shanti nagar. The parking lot entrance had a steep slope,may be of gradient of 40degrees. While moving down the slope I was confident that my tiger shall come down with no hitch as I know it had a good ground clearance. Skreech.. a harsh sound that almost gave me a attack. Then I braked my car in the after 3/4th of the slope and got down to see that the chin on the car (underside of front bumper) had scrapped the rough floor. And due to high slope I cannot take the car in reverse as well. This even made my friend wonder as his Jazz never got scrapped! Hell that means swift nose is lower that Jazz! and this makes it more vulnerable to damage by stones on the rough road. Is Maruti Listening!! Honda appears to have better understood the roads than maruti in this case.
Somehow my friend offered to bring the car down but it further got scraped again. Finally when it was on the flat surface I inspected the "chin" and yes it was badley scrapped. I felt really sad to see and feel my new car getting badly hurt. Would definitely write to maruti about it.

When the time to return came I used some unused wooden flatboards/support towards the start of the slope to increase the height at the start point of elevation of slope. Myself very nervous, swift was able to climb up the slope without scrapping itself. What a relief! Friend promised to get slope fixed as reaching the end of the slope his Jazz too gets scrapped under its belly.

I reached home with heavy heart and keep consoling myself and car that I shall be more careful next time onwards.

Last edited by Anandg : 30th January 2011 at 02:09.
Old 30th January 2011, 08:09   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Welcome to the Swift family. I liked theions way you systematically ticked off all your options to arrive at your decision. And I noticed my name in your thank you list- you're quite welcome (though I have no recollection of what I had advised you to go for )

I noticed that the interiors are the same as my 2006 Vxi. They're nice enough but Maruti really needs to start pampering its customers a little. 4 months wait? That's longer than I waited for my Vento! And I did notice- no music system. My Vxi came with OE Kenwood CD/MP3 player. Probably the Diesel discrimination GTO talks about in his thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anandg View Post
I would like bhpians to pour in their expert opinions about the following upgrades:
1) I have got MRF tyres with car instead of pathetic JK. Should I still go for upgrades to Michleans etc?
2) I am looking for budget audio system. Would Pioneer 6050 double din make a good buy? what about speakers?
3) What should be ideal tyre pressure on front and rear wheels?
4) I have got 3M film -20 installed with help of dealer. Is it ok?
5) Should I go for anti-rust/corrosion coating and 3M paint protection?
6) I have got seat covers. Any recommend place in south Bangalore where I can get them fitted?
7) Team-bhp stickers- I am not able to order via debit card. Not sure why?
8) Anything else I missed?
Trying to answer some of your questions with my suggestions:
- MRF is not exactly the best choice in tyres. Suggest you upgrade to Yoko A drives in 185/70R14 (there is a Swift tyre upgrade thread you should not miss). Michelins are nice too but a little on the expensive side.
- Recommended tyre pressure will be printed on a small white sticker under your seat. Do look for it. Curiously different Swifts seem to have different recommended tyre pressures (no kidding- there is a thread on that as well).
- Get a nice 1DIN USB/AUX player (I got a Kenwood for under 6K). You can use the second compartment as miscellaneous storage . Invest in a nice set of speakers, maybe Sony Xplod.
- Film is a must-have and since you've already got 3M fitted don't worry about it. In Bangalore's moderate climate you may not really need anti-corrosion, paint protection etc. but anything to preserve the finish on your baby is welcome!
- Stick with the original fabric upholstery. A 2 member family should not get the seats too dirty anyway and the Swift has decent OE seats.

I just read your first post and then commented- am thinking you may have already made all these changes, in which case am sorry!

Last edited by noopster : 30th January 2011 at 08:20.
Old 1st February 2011, 02:26   #51
BHPian

Thanks Noopster,
Have a look at your PM box for queries that I have posted you and your apt reply to them.
Yes I have got my seats done in light color so as to lighten up the dark interiors of the car (and hence the claustrophobic feeling) and they look good except the headrests that were shabbily fitted. Need to get them done.
I have got a 2 din pinoeer 6050 system with hertz speakers and you have to hear it to believe it. I am a bass lover but do not want woofer et all due to space constraints in the car and also to avoid any source of distraction while I am driving. This system costed me 19k but provides a very good bass.
Due to prohibition of funds from Home ministry the tyre upgrades went back but do tell me which tyres are best -- bridgestone / Michleans or Yokos and they costs as well. Please let me know the link that you said.
Also I have got anti-rust coating done to preserve the belly.

Any other suggestions are most welcome.
Old 1st February 2011, 10:12   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats Anand. Welcome to Swift family. How about sharing your mileage/ kms covered and some interior shots showing your seats.

Safe Driving.
Old 5th February 2011, 00:29   #53
BHPian

HI Naveen,
Thanks for the welcome. My car has covered 1500kms only;( due to getting busy in office for a month lately but yes travel bug is very much active and car is waiting for a fresh breath of air. I have been getting 19kms as an average mileage. 17 being lowest due to maddening city drives in Jamaluru. I promise to post the pics of the seats tomorrow. However attached are the some for your interest.
My White Maruti Swift VDi (ABS)-img_4821.jpg
My White Maruti Swift VDi (ABS)-img_4822.jpg

And hey Naveen, those angel eyes on the car look very awesome. I see your signature mentions Vento Diesel. How is it compared to swift?

Last edited by Anandg : 5th February 2011 at 00:34.
Old 5th February 2011, 08:16   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Ah now I remember! Well, you need to upgrade tyres early on to get maximum mileage. The stock JKs get a lot of beating on this thread (mea culpa!) but they are pretty stable and rock solid (in many cases, literally so!) After 1500 km not sure you will get what you had originally sad you would from your dealer, but no harm in checking.
I would recommend Yoko A drives in 185/70R14 blindly for the Swift. Michelin in 195/60R15 is also an excellent option. Michelins are reputed to have soft sidewalls and not that smart an option if your regular ride is bumpy/jagged. But I know people who use 'em and are thrilled to bits! Do read up the Swift tyres thread in detail.
Old 5th February 2011, 08:30   #55
Senior - BHPian

Just loved the way you compared all those cars. Very Good Evaluation. Very Crisp and to the point.

Being a Figo TDCi owner i am a bit jealous about you 19km/l mileage. Are you sure you are calculating rightly. Coz when you crossed 600km you put in 33 litres and calculated 18km/l. But what about the diesel put in by the dealer? Anyways. Hope your calculations are right. ENJAY!!!
Old 6th February 2011, 01:48   #56
BHPian

Hi Noopster,
I shall ask Madhus here in bangalore about what is the best he can offer.

Hi Gemithomas,
Thank you for the compliments.
Yes the mileage i have calculated is based on tankful to tankful method. The dealer delivered the car at his sub dealership place at a walking distance from my house. The place where the car was to be originally delivered(main showroom) was 36 kms from my place and dealer said they put 5 ltrs for the car to reach closest fuel station. So in my case that fuel that they put inside initially 2ltrs was used while car came from main showroom to their sub dealer point.
Hence I initially filled up 40ltrs(tankful) so tank has is 43ltrs (its total capacity) with 36kms on odo. Now when the refilled it, Odo was 630 and it gulped up 33ltrs = 18kmpl. I presume the reason for good mileage was the highway distance of 300kms that I covered initially.

Last edited by Anandg : 6th February 2011 at 02:19.
Old 9th February 2011, 10:35   #57
BHPian

We went to Gopalswamy betta- Hills 70kms further form mysore. There was temple 5 kms uphill. Noticed a new thing, when I changed from 1st to 2nd gear the rpm suddenly dropped and car become powerless, I had to immediately change it back to 1st gear. It happened twice. Then after for most of time I drove in 1st gear and occasionally 2nd when the road was a bit straight. I would like to know from bhpians that is it normal or was I driving incorrectly? let me know the correct way.
The hills were not very very steep but yes were appreciable and my car has covered 1800kms till now with no issues in any gear on flat roads.
Old 9th February 2011, 11:12   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
We went to Gopalswamy betta- Hills 70kms further form mysore. There was temple 5 kms uphill. Noticed a new thing, when I changed from 1st to 2nd gear the rpm suddenly dropped and car become powerless, I had to immediately change it back to 1st gear. It happened twice. Then after for most of time I drove in 1st gear and occasionally 2nd when the road was a bit straight. I would like to know from bhpians that is it normal or was I driving incorrectly? let me know the correct way.
The hills were not very very steep but yes were appreciable and my car has covered 1800kms till now with no issues in any gear on flat roads.
Hmmm....may be the infamous Fiat 1.3 MJD Turbo lag is catching up on you . With AC, you'd have to time your upshifts on inclines well. What RPM were you shifting into 2nd? On steeps, make sure you shift into 2nd at an RPM such that, when you release the clutch pedal, you are still above 1100-1200 RPM. That way the turbo will still kick in soon and you won't feel the enormous lack of power. The art of SDE (Small Diesel Engine) driving!

I don't think there is any problem. But if this was happening even when you were above 1500-2000 rpm, you may want to visit a service station...
Old 9th February 2011, 12:22   #59
BHPian

Thanks Reinhard,
I first thought may be due to low rpm this might have happened but i was on 1800rpm and as soon as I upshifted to 2nd it went down to 600rpm! This is making me worry.
Old 9th February 2011, 17:23   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Reinhard,
I first thought may be due to low rpm this might have happened but i was on 1800rpm and as soon as I upshifted to 2nd it went down to 600rpm! This is making me worry.
I went to nandi hills recently and found that if you keep the rpm high and then upshift you should not face any issues with the turbo lag.

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks