Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2011, 14:52   #151
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

re: TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
The "Number of Wheels" line item is really enlightening.

Good review going there and nice points put up as enhancements. Am hoping to see a lot of similar fit-n-finish improvments in the Merlin also.

Would you ever evaluate a tuning box or remap post warranty? Do you think an Aria needs more power? Another user in his review mentioned that power is just enough but never lacking. What do you think?

Cheers,
Adi
Avr Adi.

Plan to go for a remap during the third year itself while it is still in warranty.

The power is sufficent but it is something that one always wants more of. The same engine can definately give out more power and TATA it self is sure to do something about that sooner than later. So yes 2.2 ltr dicore with about 150-170 bhp from TATA itself cannot be ruled out in later versions. Am sure I will be able to get those changes if purely in ECU (or even if in a specific external component) added to the current car.

Yep the Merlin (which is just an inhouse design purpose name) - It will be the Safari itself for us, will have a lot of improvements coming in soon it will narrow the gap onto the Aria and take the game away from the Scorpio (not in sales numbers but as a product), but I think there might be a slight increase in prices as well. Some of the features will remain exclusive to the Aria and yet a lot os what is new and better will go into the Safari as well.

PS: No of wheel: Do remember that TATA was first a Truck manufacturer and is now a Passenger vehicle major. It will have some carry on effect.

Thankfull they have not attempted an 6+1 wheel passenger car as yet.

Last edited by ACM : 27th April 2011 at 14:55.
Old 9th May 2011, 16:50   #152
Senior - BHPian

Re: Improvement Ideas for the Aria - how to better what is already quite good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
One can always make a good product even better, so here goes - some dreams..Ideas for TATA to make the Aria even better.

1) Wiper Blades should be like those in the Laura, Linea, Punto, Civic – Bosch Aero Twin single slab of rubber. Yes the movement style is similar to that in the Civic but similar rubber should also have been used, this would cost so less yet and would make the vehicle seem better compared to the present inelegant blades.
Came across pictures of the Aria at the Geneva Auto Show this year. Apart from the wiper blades, also noticed that the front lip (?) which in the Indian Aria is like that on the Indica/Manza/Swift (rubber strip mounted vertically, running below the bumper and some distance behind the front edge of the bumper):

TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-tataariageneva201003.jpg

http://www.automobilesreview.com/img...va-2010-03.jpg

The wipers look pretty awesome apart from also being probably better. The "new" or redesigned bumper lip also adds to the looks IMHO

Looks like Tata's listening, but maybe taking the learning to Europe

Last edited by VeluM : 9th May 2011 at 16:54.
Old 10th May 2011, 09:32   #153
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

re: TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!

Yep Velu I was talking about just this type of wipers. Anyways will be procuring them (flat kind like those in the snaps) just before the monsoon for the looks though the current ones function fine.

There is a rubber stip (lip) at the base of the current Aria but the execution in the one at Geneva is oh so much better.

Now next when I have the time will bug TATA guys to get me one like that.
Old 31st May 2011, 18:28   #154
BHPian

Hi ACM,

Long time since you updated this thread; Eagerly awaiting updates!

One more thing I came across was the fact that you had promised us that you would do a proper photo-shoot, It is long overdue!

Please do the needful,

Furebo
Old 17th June 2011, 17:29   #155
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Aria in the Rains..

Furebo yep will do some monsoon shooting in some time, in the meanwhile some monsoon update:

Getting the Aria ready for the rains:

Am at 17000 kms, it is business as usual till date with no real issues worth mentioning beyond the minor stuff pointed out in earlier posts.

1) Washer fluid - Got Abro washer fluid. It is supposed to take care of freezing issues (which I won't face in Bombay (especially with Global Warming)) as well.
Was using just plain tap water or at times soapy water prior to this. Yep know that one is not supposed to use soapy water but it really did not cause me any problems and kept the wipers smooth. Of course now have migrated to Abro
Positives - The bottle has a nice resealable childproof cap.
Negatives - The bottle is not to clear in in explaining how many capfuls per litre. As in most cases with automotive products the proportions are given in the US measurement system.
Neutral - Washes well, wiper wipes without squeaking but it did so even before I started using the liquid. It right now is more a mental improvement than measurable one.
Price - Rs. 180

2) Rear Wiper - The rear OEM wiper from syndicate had a rubber blade torn at the end. Got that replaced by the newer "skoda type" as they say, went in for 14" ones in place of the OEM 12" ones.
Positives - Improved coverage area., clean wipes, squeaking reduced, since it is the rear it will end up wiping a dry surface from time to time in the intermittent mode.
Grudge against TATA- Why give a 12" wiper when a 14" one fits and works better. Why give the cheap looking normal wiper on an 18L rupees vehicle.
Price - Rs. 220
Brand - Coozo

3) Front Wipers - The front OEM wipers are 26" ones, they were wiping the glass area very well. But they were again the standard syndicate ones that did not look great.
The civic / merc logic for wipes (scissors wipes) one wiper from the right and the other from the left is superb, wonder why all cars don't adopt it. It gives the best visibility.
Love TATA for having this system along with a very intuitive and exact auto wiping function that requires minimum fiddling with the wiper stalks. The Laura auto wipes are thrash in comparison.
Grudge against TATA - Cheap standard syndicate wipers in an 18L vehicle. Don't have a grudge against Syndicate, but it's about the type of wipers used. Also the normal wipers due to the height eat into visibility.
Price - Rs. 850
Brand - Syndicate Yep went for the same brand was explained it is much better than the Coozo brand.
Coozo has a max of 24" size at Rs. 450 for the pair. Syndicate has only for 26" for RHS - Driver side (civic) and 24" for LHS (Civic) Passenger which obviously would not do for the Aria so just too the RHS driver side one for the LHS passenger side as well.
It would normally not make a difference even if it is scissor shaped motion from the LHS, but in the "Skoda flat blade style" or rather the Bosch Aero Twin style (these are hard to get in the sizes I want and was not prepared to wait) it makes a difference in terms of how the rubber blade is designed to take pressure as the leading edge become the returning one. Maybe a few snaps later can explain this better.
Positives - Loved the looks, pricing is decent and it wipes well without squeaks, but then they never squeaked in the first place.

4) Full Rubber / Plastic matting.
Price - Rs. 750
Colour black
Advantage, will help keep the car dry in the monsoon the original mats procured are carpet material and not suitable for the monsoon.
Positives - The mats sit well and fit well with nice Velcro to keep it in place.
Disadvantage - 4 piece mats kept on top of the plastic mats keep sliding all over.
Colour options - Beige and transparent with beige borders both do not suite the Aria.
Note: Standard 4 piece rubber matting does not fit the Aria front foot wells at all. Since TATA has not introduced OEM options for these, and since I desire those kind of mats will have to buy standard ones and cut them up to fit. Next Stage.

5) All cars today have sufficient underbody protection for the monsoon rusting so did not go for this treatment.
more later..
Old 18th June 2011, 03:36   #156
BHPian

Few pics of new front & rear wipers please. Where did you get this wipers in Mumbai?
Old 18th June 2011, 05:51   #157
Senior - BHPian

Any niggles that you faced ACM? Aria i think is a much much refined product from TATA and i am hoping the Merlin will have some of these positives when its launched.
Old 18th June 2011, 12:14   #158
Senior - BHPian

Re: Aria in the Rains..

Quote:
Furebo yep will do some monsoon shooting in some time, in the meanwhile some monsoon update:
Hi ACM,
1. Nice to see the update. Awaiting the snaps of the wipers.
2. I have been using the windshield wash of water + 5 drops of 'Oneder drop' which is a Modicare domestic scouring product for utensils. Have been doing this for years now with no ill effects, I think.
Haven't ever used any branded wash additive. Any advantages in using one ?

3. Still awaiting the detailed snaps of the engine bay - a request which was applied for and processed here long time ago !

Last edited by Guderian : 18th June 2011 at 12:19.
Old 20th June 2011, 14:33   #159
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devenashani View Post
Few pics of new front & rear wipers please. Where did you get this wipers in Mumbai?
Coming in next post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Any niggles that you faced ACM? Aria i think is a much much refined product from TATA and i am hoping the Merlin will have some of these positives when its launched.
Yes there are some very minor niggles, but possibly these won't be noticed by most, I have a particualar eye for these kind of details so do notice them, and get them corrected, as yet none of these have necessited an extra visit to the service centre, beyound the routine service. I believe Merlin (just a working project name) will surely have a lot of these improvements carried over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Hi ACM,
1. Nice to see the update. Awaiting the snaps of the wipers.
2. I have been using the windshield wash of water + 5 drops of 'Oneder drop' which is a Modicare domestic scouring product for utensils. Have been doing this for years now with no ill effects, I think.
Haven't ever used any branded wash additive. Any advantages in using one ?

3. Still awaiting the detailed snaps of the engine bay - a request which was applied for and processed here long time ago !
Like you I too used the utensils liquid wash for a few months, and have not seen any side effects, am told that this can cause scaling and result in blockage in the sprinklers, has not yet happened to me, but who knows about the effects in the long term. The fear at least ensures some sales of so called professional automotive products.

Yep got the engine bay snaps, will post them soon, the engine bay is not exactly too clean in the monsoon and I don't really give it the kind of attention that you do. So the visuals will be a bit messy, was earlier waiting go do it after the 22k service but that could take a couple of months so went ahead with the engine bay the way it was after a couple of minutes of clean up with a wet cloth.

Last edited by ACM : 20th June 2011 at 14:35.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2011, 14:59   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. Like you I too used the utensils liquid wash for a few months, and have not seen any side effects, am told that this can cause scaling and result in blockage in the sprinklers, has not yet happened to me, but who knows about the effects in the long term. The fear at least ensures some sales of so called professional automotive products.

2. Yep got the engine bay snaps, will post them soon, the engine bay is not exactly too clean in the monsoon and I don't really give it the kind of attention that you do. So the visuals will be a bit messy, was earlier waiting go do it after the 22k service but that could take a couple of months so went ahead with the engine bay the way it was after a couple of minutes of clean up with a wet cloth.
1. Thanks. Blockage of the nozzles should be simple to solve. Not sure where else the liquid can impact - yes the washer pump/motor can be impacted especially the rubber components.

2. Awaiting !
Old 20th June 2011, 16:14   #161
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Rains Part II

The Rains Part II

6) Window Spoilers - Window rain/sun Shades - Yep got those,
The bad bit about Aria being homegrown is that it restricts access to good quality accessories that say a Fortuner, Endy, Pajero or an Innova have. The accessories like fiber front guard are just not available, except from say "Ajanta" presently but really did not like the look of the options available too much. The same is the case for rear spoiler, side foot rests and for window spoiler / rain shades.
But the curvy design is such that when one brings down the window one has excessive amounts of rain drops immediately fall right in on the switch gear on the door side armrest. Yep one hopes that these are designed to not be affected by the water, but can we be sure? besides one get wet in the process and end up cleaning the door trim (remover water drops) every time it gets wet.
The Solution of course is those back external stuck on window shades/spoilers. The quality of the ones available is not really great and then there is the gold coloured TATA ARIA printed on each of them, making it a bit too loud for my liking. They also do reduce visibility as they are like those really dark tints, though one can see through them with some effort. They were a necessity so went ahead and got them fitted. Though the guy who fitted them used hot air in a covered place (It was cold and raining outside) yet one of them did not stick that well, and my cleaner took care of the edge of another piece on the passenger side later. Had used 3 sets during the course of 10 years with the safari.
These will last just this monsoon and even if they stay stuck will get them off, as I simply don't like how they look. Hope some better quality stuff is available soon.
Cost Rs. 1650

7) Hammer - Have been through living with a totally submerged Safari since July 2006. Parents of course insist that I carry a hammer in the car, so got one from D-Mart. 126 bucks

8) Add a couple of packets of biscuits and 3 bottles of water and am almost ready to get submerged again - or am I. Wish there was a chemical toilet as well.

Besides have pasted some snaps of the
1) TBHP Sticker on the rear glass, and front quarter glass (have one on each side).
2) Engine bay from all angles- in the monsoon - just cleaned with a wet cloth, so do excuse the filth. Love the 2.2 VTT Dicore Embossed on the Plastic Engine cover.
3) The Front Syndicate wipers - note the right to left difference in the wiper blade direction orientation.
4) The Rear Coozo wiper
5) The newly procured full plastic matting
6) The Abro Windshield cleaner concentrate liquid. No clear directions on how much to add to water in the Indian / UK measurement system. (Made in USA - of all things they now manufacture liquids?)
7) The Window spoiler / shade - The loss of visibility and the loud TATA ARIA in Gold being visible.
Do excuse the reflection from the trees all around. Will do a proper shoot with a) A clean Aria post service and B) A really messy Aria after a 400 kms monsoon drive.
Attached Thumbnails
TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-p1050877.jpg  

TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-p1050878.jpg  

TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-p1050879.jpg  

TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-p1050880.jpg  

TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-p1050881.jpg  

TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-p1050882.jpg  

TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-p1050883.jpg  

TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-p1050886.jpg  

TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-p1050887.jpg  

TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-p1050888.jpg  

TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-p1050889.jpg  

TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-p1050890.jpg  

TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-p1050891.jpg  

TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-p1050892.jpg  

TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-p1050893.jpg  

TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-p1050894.jpg  

TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-p1050895.jpg  

TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-p1050896.jpg  

TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-p1050897.jpg  

TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-p1050898.jpg  

TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-p1050900.jpg  

TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-p1050901.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by ACM : 20th June 2011 at 16:20.
ACM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2011, 10:11   #162
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devenashani View Post

I got mine in Thane - Teen petrol pump, Anand Traders.

These should be available with multiple shops at Milan Subway and Sion Koliwada besides Opera House in Mumbai.

Already posted the snaps in the previous post.
Old 30th June 2011, 15:09   #163
BHPian

Thanks for the pics ACM!

But can we please have proper ones with exteriors and interiors? I mean the ones that show the profile of the car.

Still waiting,

Furebo
Old 30th June 2011, 15:34   #164
Senior - BHPian

Hi ACM,
Thanks for the snaps and especially those of the Engine Bay.
Though in some of the engine bay snaps one can't make out the features due the light and shadow play !
But - very nice indeed.

Last edited by Guderian : 30th June 2011 at 15:36.
Old 8th July 2011, 12:53   #165
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Furebo will get down to doing the profile snaps some time later.

In the meanwhile. Ajanta has made Aria the cover for its latest printed accessories brochure.

Pls find one of the inside pages attached.

Am still undecided if any of them will really look good on the Aria, also there is the aspect of compromising pedestrian safety. The models with only fiber do not allow for addition of extra lights.
Attached Thumbnails
TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-842.jpg  

Most Viewed