Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2011, 13:02   #166
Senior - BHPian

re: TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!

ARIA front looks nice, why you need a guard? and most of them looks bad. But I liked 2nd one in first row (SMART).
Old 8th July 2011, 16:18   #167
Team-BHP Support

re: TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!

Take the democratic route and ask for everybody's opinion on the front guard for the Aria.

I would vote for the "Strong NO - If you still go ahead, I will unsubscribe from this thread" option
Old 8th July 2011, 16:59   #168
AVR
BHPian

@ACM,

Guard on the Top right looks the best of the lot though I agree with others that a good-looking front like the Aria could do without any accessories.
Ofcourse, if you had a Xylo I'd recommend a black cloth to cover the entire front

Cheers,
Adi
AVR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2011, 14:50   #169
Senior - BHPian

ACM some great pics of the engine bay there!! Tata has come a long way from its truck origins at least asthetically! Really changed perception of this Tata baby after going thru all of your posts. Happy Motoring!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
I got mine in Thane - Teen petrol pump, Anand Traders.

These should be available with multiple shops at Milan Subway and Sion Koliwada besides Opera House in Mumbai.

Already posted the snaps in the previous post.
Old 12th July 2011, 15:43   #170
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks, Latheesh, AVR and Smartcat, made up my mind - No Guard required. Thanks.

Ajanta, the Janta says no.

I still wish to explore the possibility of extra lights for dark rainy highway drives at nights. With no guard to mount them, am contemplating the set of 4 lights that come housed in a single fiber body. This is normally mounted on the roof, but that am informed by the accessories guys can cause issues leading to visible wiring, rusting and leakages from the roof. So am contemplating placing them on the bonnet. Have seen them mounted on the roof of Safari and Scorpio. Now to source them and connect the same seamlessly to the car electricals. Had played around a lot with the Safari Electricals and in the long run do not recommend that as added accessories are never fitted as well as the original electricals bringing down the reliability of the vehicle as well as reducing the time (weeks) that the car can be kept parked without draining the battery beyond the level where it will start on it's own power. That was the main reason for choosing the top spec model so that there should be minimal scope/requirement for additions to the available feature list.

When the set of 4 lights are mounted on the bonnet the auto lift hydraulic mechanism may need to be boosted with one with greater tension.

Also need to see that the lights are placed on the sloping part of the hood such that it does not obstruct the front visibility.

Always wanted the bonnet to be visible better with this change it should be, but right at the center not really at the edges.

Am planning a Mumbai -Udaipur- Mumbai trip this weekend that should take me right upto 22k kms 4th service (second oil change) since I have decided on a 11K interval instead of the prescrided 15k for myself.
Old 12th July 2011, 15:51   #171
Team-BHP Support

The projector lamps on the Aria "looks" very impressive. Isn't it good enough for those dark nights?

One option for you is to take the xenon lamps route. However, the biggest problem with xenon lamps is that even branded ones suffer from poor reliability - they might suddenly go kaput on a dark rainy day.
Old 13th July 2011, 13:44   #172
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
The projector lamps on the Aria "looks" very impressive. Isn't it good enough for those dark nights?

One option for you is to take the xenon lamps route. However, the biggest problem with xenon lamps is that even branded ones suffer from poor reliability - they might suddenly go kaput on a dark rainy day.
The Aria high beams are not too strong, they are decent, but for certain rainy night situations one wants more. The Issue with Xenon's is the rewiring bit, one needs to add addtional components and I don't want to play with then original wiring on the lighting in the interests of reliability for this critical aspect, nor do I want to use higher power bulbs in the same fixtures ss they could keep blowing up the original relays/ fuse as well as possibly darken the reflectors in time.
Old 13th July 2011, 13:51   #173
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The Aria high beams are not too strong, they are decent, but for certain rainy night situations one wants more. The Issue with Xenon's is the rewiring bit, one needs to add addtional components and I don't want to play with then original wiring on the lighting in the interests of reliability for this critical aspect, nor do I want to use higher power bulbs in the same fixtures ss they could keep blowing up the original relays/ fuse as well as possibly darken the reflectors in time.
I recommend you shift to HID lights. That should be your first option before going in for auxiliary lights. They are reliable if you buy a good brand like Philips.

I see the Aria has projectors for low beam and reflectors for high? Is that right? And do you want to upgrade both low and high or only one?

HIDs will be lower wattage than your stock headlamps which are most probably 55w. And its better since they have their own wiring, so you won't have to touch the stock wiring.
Old 31st August 2011, 15:48   #174
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I recommend you shift to HID lights. That should be your first option before going in for auxiliary lights. They are reliable if you buy a good brand like Philips.

I see the Aria has projectors for low beam and reflectors for high? Is that right? And do you want to upgrade both low and high or only one?

HIDs will be lower wattage than your stock headlamps which are most probably 55w. And its better since they have their own wiring, so you won't have to touch the stock wiring.
Thanks Akshay

HID lower wattage is an attraction.

Yep projectors for low beam and relectors for high.

The problem with addtional HID with new wiring is that they cut a hole in the back of the light fixtures to bring in the wiring and this becomes a source for humidity to enter. Let me check if they can put new additional wiring through the place where the wires enter in the first place. (Generally they don't do that as the new wiring has sockets at both end and they and I both don't want to cut any wires.
Old 31st August 2011, 15:52   #175
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks Akshay

The problem with addtional HID with new wiring is that they cut a hole in the back of the light fixtures to bring in the wiring and this becomes a source for humidity to enter. Let me check if they can put new additional wiring through the place where the wires enter in the first place. (Generally they don't do that as the new wiring has sockets at both end and they and I both don't want to cut any wires.
I don't think so. The bulbs have a plug kind of thing at the end, which is outside the light housing, so no wires really go inside. With HIDs you get new plugs which fit into those bulbs so the original thing is left totally untouched. This is what I think, but maybe you can have a look at an HID kit to be sure.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2011, 15:59   #176
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Forth Service - First medium scale issue - reverse camera.

Went in for the fourth service at 21,000 kms. (Second Oil Change).

Normal service intervals are fixed at 15,000 kms. I have choosen 10,000-11,000kms for myself, cpnsidering the mix of city and highway driving that I have.

The car is right now at 24,000 kms.

The Service was business as usual.

The main thing was that the reverse camera started getting humdity in it during the monsoon and finally stopped working.

I informed the service centre about the camera not working in advance. They asked me to get the car for a look over during the 4th service which was due a week later.
Post the Service they informed me that the camera needs replacement under warranty but they do not have it with them and need to order. They promissed to call me as soon as the part arrives.

They did not call back, but I did in about 10 days time. The operator then tried to give me an appointment that would be about 10 days later, I insisted on one in 3 days time, and raising the voice got the trick done.

The part looks strong and was heavy for a camera. Seemed to be of good quality but some washer seems to have let water in and spoilt it. It cost 10K + and was replaced at no cost. It was the first time that the service centre faced this issue and they did not have a service code for it. But this time gave me the car back within 2 hrs which I spent at the center itself.

A Plastic strip located on the roof was also replaced. This was a minor issue.

The Aria does require the reverse camera and it is a major problem if it does not work.

The overall experience was acceptable but could have been better if they has been able to stock the part, but considering that this seems to have been a one off defect that other owners have not faced, even that is acceptable.

I will probably be through all 5 free services in the first year itself. Next one at 30,000-31,000kms as per my schedule.
Old 31st August 2011, 21:43   #177
Senior - BHPian

Re: Forth Service - First medium scale issue - reverse camera.

Quote:
The overall experience was acceptable but could have been better if they has been able to stock the part, but considering that this seems to have been a one off defect that other owners have not faced, even that is acceptable.
@ACM - So do the SA's kind of cajole you to give them very good rating in the evaluataion form that they hand over while delivering the car? This has been my experience with the Vista with Pandit Auto.
Old 31st August 2011, 22:33   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Akshay

Very true! Just stick to the factory defaults, this keeps a peace for mind as far as warranty is concerned (electrical). Instead the Aux. lights or even upgrading the bulbs to higher wattage one should do the job. I am saying this as you have owned a TCIC Safari which has a similar twin beam set-up as the ARIA has.
Old 31st August 2011, 23:37   #179
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That was the main reason for choosing the top spec model so that there should be minimal scope/requirement for additions to the available feature list.
We share a lot of similar thoughts I see ! I wish to keep minimal installations [especially electric] and hence I prefer a fully loaded variant always.

Quote:
I don't want to play with then original wiring on the lighting in the interests of reliability for this critical aspect, nor do I want to use higher power bulbs in the same fixtures ss they could keep blowing up the original relays/ fuse as well as possibly darken the reflectors in time.
So the BEST option for you here is to go for Osram NB+ or Philips Extreme vision or so. The bulbs are rated at 55W [same as stock] & output is that of 100W. Includes NO splicing of wires, warranty remains intact & the throw & spread is awesome for NBs [I used it for 1 full year with lots of night driving & can vouch for it]. But down side is it's expensive & will cost close to 1000 bucks.
Old 1st September 2011, 01:33   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious
But down side is it's expensive & will cost close to 1000 bucks.
Another down side I've experienced with NB is that they tend to fuse quickly too. I've had to replace both my car's bulbs within two years as the low beam fused in each.

Most Viewed