Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2011, 08:56   #181
Distinguished - BHPian

re: TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!

The night breaker had this problem and hence the product is replaced by night breaker plus which has addressed the fusing problem.

Bu the down side is these bulbs are costly.

On the HID, most of the kits come as OEM plug and play, so it should not pose a problem if you want to install it. Myself and my friend installed the Osram H1 HID kit ourselves in the punto without a hitch. No cutting nothing, just plug and play. HID with projectors is what the doctor ordered to enhance the looks as well as the visibility at night. But note, do not go over 5000K, else it would be all show and no visibility.
Old 7th September 2011, 00:10   #182
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele

@ACM - So do the SA's kind of cajole you to give them very good rating in the evaluataion form that they hand over while delivering the car? This has been my experience with the Vista with Pandit Auto.
It gets quite.funny observing.the.guys going for a higher rating. I observed the SA giving the feedback form to a driver with a cross marked where we are supposed to sign. The driver signs next to the cross and hands back the form. After which the SA cooly marks ticks against 10 points - full marks all across and places the form below the bill to be handed over to the cashier. The number of drivers coming for collecting cars ensures a steady flow of full marks.

Am travelling right now. When I get back will check headlight improvement options for the aria again and report back with what I get done.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2011, 11:23   #183
BHPian

re: TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!

Hi ACM,
I am using a Pride since Jan and has clocked just over 14K Kms. I had a fairly trouble free time with Aria so far, including a 6500 Km run to Rajasthan and back from Cochin.

This time when I was in the service center for the third service and oil change, I was told that, there is a "clutch update" for certain models. (Mine is one among it.) They will be replacing a unit called "Peak Torque Limiter". It looked like a small orifice to me. They have had two Arias in the service center for clutch issues and this probably looks like a follow up for those faults.

I will be getting it done by Last week of October as I will be away for work.

BTW, your ownership report had helped me a lot when I was buying my Aria. Thanks for those detailed reports.
ANUJ GEORGE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2011, 13:15   #184
Senior - BHPian

@ACM: It's been long time since you updated the thread with ARIA pictures or any niggles you might have had. Seems like TATA's have made a SOLID product finally.
Old 19th September 2011, 17:46   #185

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANUJ GEORGE View Post
Hi ACM,

This time when I was in the service center for the third service and oil change, I was told that, there is a "clutch update" for certain models. (Mine is one among it.) They will be replacing a unit called "Peak Torque Limiter". It looked like a small orifice to me. They have had two Arias in the service center for clutch issues and this probably looks like a follow up for those faults.
I get a noticable smoke when I have to drive my Aria in bumper to bumper traffic conditions partly on clutch. I had a doubt that the covering on the clutch plate might be getting burned.

I also once had a lot of white smoke come out of the bonnet when my Aria was stuck in mud at the parking location and I had to use clutch and 1st gear in medium rpm to get it out.

From your comment I believe that there is some issue with running Aria on clutch at medium or high rpm and potentially this device would solve this.

Did you get a chance to ask the dealer on what issue does this device fix? I called up my dealer ship and they have no clue about this peak torque limiter device.
Old 20th September 2011, 12:19   #186
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

BTW, your ownership report had helped me a lot when I was buying my Aria. Thanks for those detailed reports.
Thanks, Happy driving.

Have also had the gearbox update done a long while back, they rechecked if it was pending for me at 21 K service and confirmed that it is already done.
I believe it reduces gearstick vibrations (Hunting) which was present in some of the earlier Aria's. And makes it overall smoother. I could not make out a difference or issue before or after the update.
Old 20th September 2011, 15:01   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by par# View Post
I also once had a lot of white smoke come out of the bonnet when my Aria was stuck in mud at the parking location and I had to use clutch and 1st gear in medium rpm to get it out.
That doesn't sounds good to me at all. I know two cases of clutch disc burn outs in Cochin, and if I am correct, this clutch update is related to it. See below picture of the Peak torque limiter (PTL), old and new.

According to the service manual, PTL is fitted between the clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder. This kind of regulates the clutch engagement. PTL does not affect the clutch during normal driving conditions.

The service guys didn't explain much, but I got a chance to read the related page from service manual. They will never admit that the clutch burnout issue was due to PTL. They said this clutch update is just a precautionary measure. I could give you more details when I get chance to do this change (Last week of Oct.)
Attached Thumbnails
TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-ptl.jpg  

ANUJ GEORGE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2011, 15:53   #188

Quote:
That doesn't sounds good to me at all. I know two cases of clutch disc burn outs in Cochin, and if I am correct, this clutch update is related to it. See below picture of the Peak torque limiter (PTL), old and new.
Thanks for the pic Anuj. Would wait for your update in october after you get this fitted.

By the way how can I make out for sure if there is any burn out in my clutch disc. I do not notice any issue with clutch operations.
Old 12th October 2011, 16:21   #189
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quirks, tit bits and tips

1) The Civic like front wipers- To get the flat blades get the driver side blades for both sides. - Syndicate has options for Rs. 800 a pair. (Civic passenger side is small for the Aria passenger side wiper)

2) Rear Wipers - To get the flat blade style- There are many options in the market for about Rs. 200, One can simultaneously increase the wiper size by 2-3" without them hitting any obstruction or causing significant problems with the motor. I first increased the size by 2" and then by one more to 3" larger size. There is still scope to increase size by 1" more but the current size is sufficent. - During highway driving in the monsoon it is irritating if most of the rear glass is covered with muck even after a wipe as with the OEM sizes.

3) The front wipers require 1.5" space left on both sides due to the design where in the Windshield glass is not flush with the outer edge of the car but inset by about 1" as a newer kind of design - but this does not allow the water to be washed off the glass soon enough if the wiper is right next to the edge and needs a 1.5" margin on both sides.

4) If you keep any additional stuff that you carry along in the boot (like tyre polish cans or interior / cleaner sprays) they keeping them with the tool kit under the cover provided in the rear will ensure they don't make audible noise.

5) Tyre upsize to 265/65 R17 (fortuner size) from the 235/65 R17 is possible in the tyre well.

6) Stock Wrangler tyres provided with the Aria cost about Rs. 13K each, upsize 265/65 R17 Michelin Latitude Cross cost abot 17K, Latitude Tour does not have this size.

7) The Chrome Strip on the door handles is delicate. Changed 1 within warranty. Stuck one more back on. Have lost one more (third one) and will have to buy a handle to replace the strip. The strip is not sold seperately and cost about Rs. 550 (for the door handle) - dont get the handle painted - just change the strip from the new handle. Also strips of all handes fit all handles, the Front door handles cost more Rs. 550 compared to the Rear door handles so try to get the rear door handles. -Have asked the SA to give feedback to the company to make a set of door handle chrome strips available seperately.

That's all that comes to mind right now.
Old 12th October 2011, 16:38   #190
Senior - BHPian

Re: Quirks, tit bits and tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
6) Stock Wrangler tyres provided with the Aria cost about Rs. 13K each,
I must say I'm stumped! The stock tyres are so expensive, that's almost double the price of a Safari Yoko Geo tyre?

I thought the X1's Runflats were exhorbitantly priced at 16k each, heck even the regular tubeless lowprofile Yokos cost around 12k each!

Last edited by suman : 12th October 2011 at 16:39.
Old 12th October 2011, 16:57   #191
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
I must say I'm stumped! The stock tyres are so expensive, that's almost double the price of a Safari Yoko Geo tyre?

I thought the X1's Runflats were exhorbitantly priced at 16k each, heck even the regular tubeless lowprofile Yokos cost around 12k each!
How about this;

Fiat Tyres 1994 - 4K set of 4 - Ceat Extra wide non radial
Cielo Tyres 2000 - 9K set of 4 - Goodyear radials
Safari Bridgestone Duellers - R15- 2003 - 14K set of 4
Safari Brdigestone Duellers - R15- 2007 - 16K set of 4
Laura Yoko SDrives - 205/55 - R16 - 25 Set of 4
Safari Michelin LTX AT - R15 - 2009 - 22K set of 4
Laura Yoko ESS - 225/55 - R16 - 34 set of 4
Aria - Stock Tyres Goodyear Wranglers - 2010 - 235/65 / R17 - 52K Set of 4
Aria - Michelin 265/65 / R17 - 68K Set of 4 -- Next up.

And R17 Tyres have negligible resale even if new as the kind of people buying 17" tyres dont buy even just used one.

It is basically R17 , width 265 and inflation that is all the culpit.

Am sure the XUV - JK and Bridgestone Duellers also would be in the range of 11-13K each - makes the price even better VFM considering how much just the tyres cost for R17.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2011, 16:59   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is basically R17 , width 265 and inflation that is all the culpit.
Yup, even the X1 has 17 inchers which is why I was surprised - so the runflats are really not that exhorbitantly priced!
Old 12th October 2011, 17:04   #193
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

The Runflats may today cost much more? We have had a fair bit of inflation in the recent past? when did you last check?

Or may be the 65 profile meaning a lot more rubber is the culpit. Are the runflats (which I too have perceived to be more expensive than regular tyres) just 16K had a figure of 1L for a set of 4 in mind all along for some reasons.
Old 12th October 2011, 17:09   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Runflats may today cost much more? We have had a fair bit of inflation in the recent past? when did you last check?
Couple of weeks ago, when a fellow X1 owner had to change one of his.......of course, these are 225x50x17s

Last edited by suman : 12th October 2011 at 17:12.
suman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2011, 14:04   #195
BHPian

@ACM - Going thru your thread you have had a pretty good time with your Aria with minimum issues but there are others with major issues.

What do you think with the ongoing discounts on the Aria. Do you think it makes sense to go ahead and bite the bullet.

Would you using your ownership experience recommend the Aria or just ignore it till an updated version come out.

Its really confusing when there are almost 20% discounts on, to not bite the bullet and hope you won't be stuck with a lemon.

Please advise.

Cheers

Most Viewed