Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2012, 17:07   #256
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Konkan Experience with TATA Motors Full Throttle - Clips

Pls find below some YouTube Video Clips of the Konkan Experience.

Nope these are not taken by me but by the professional team that accompanied us.

Konkan Experience Teaser

Konkan Experience Episode 1

Konkan Experience Episode 2

More would be added in a few days time and I would post the same here then.

One would find clips of their Trails and the Himalayan Experience around the same links.
ACM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2012, 19:48   #257
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Konkan Experience with TATA Motors Full Throttle - Clips II

Am pasting below the links to clips to the remaining segments - he again as mentioned by me not shot by me but by professional team out there to make a video on the trip.

2) Mumbai to Goa:

3) Goa to Mangalore:

4) Mangalore to Coorg:

5) Coorg to Jog Falls:

Enjoy

Would in the next few post be posting a few snaps taken by wifee of the cars participating.

Last edited by ACM : 15th October 2012 at 19:53.
Old 28th October 2012, 14:49   #258
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Aria at 50,000 kms.

The Aria has crossed 50,000kms in less than 2 years of ownership. Have been leading a sedate life as far as driving is concerned in the last 9 months else would have crossed 65,000 kms in normal course.

Latest Significant update post the Konkan experience has been the replacement of the DMF (Dual Mass Flywheel, associated stuff and the Clutch and Pressure plates) besides the Gearbox all under warranty. Yes the Clutch and Pressure plates would have worn out in normal course as well but when checked they still had 40% + life left but it would have been fool hardy to not replace them when the other elements in the chain were being changed. Explained my position - to Tata Motors CSM who had initially felt that I should pay for the Clutch and Pressure plates since the car had reached close to 50,000 kms - that I would have possibly not needed to relplace them till 75k-80k kms if it were not for the DMF (which had developed vibrations.) So that was a goodwill gesture from TATA but backed by logic from my end to nudge them towards it. Need to thank Rakesh(W), Devendra(W), Sujoy(S) and Natrajan(S) from TATA in the Service dept acoss west and south India for their support at various times. Besides Wasan Motors Service Advisor Sunder Suverna who was a great help at all times even if I was outstation. Machines have issues (some more than others) it is the handling of issues that matter the most to me. Machines have issues - some more than others - it is handling of issues that matters the most to me. Makes living with a TATA possible.

For those who feel I am going soft even in the face of issues, lets skip the conversation on what caused this early replacement requirement at this stage and reliabilty etc. we have discussed that enough at various times, I guess. To sum up I feel that a failure of any of the element in the Gearbox, clutch, DMF path has an impact on the other elements if not detected soon enough.

The Transmission now feels as smooth as when new - of course it is now new.

Do need to mention here that my Laura DMF had also need to be replaced at about 45k-50k kms and it had costed me Rs. 43,000 then as it was out of the 2 year warranty, but here since this was well within warranty it was replaced at company cost and also that it cost about Rs. 25,000 with labour and taxes for that part. So in terms of part cost it is signicantly lower than in the similarly priced TATA than in the Skoda inspite of rationalization of Skoda spare part prices in recent times.

Also for info of all: Skoda Laura too has SMF (single mass flywheel) option as a replacement of the DMF for certain models.

And the Aria Pure LX that has just been introduced to go below the 10L pricepoint skips on DMF with a SMF to save on costs. It then goes very close the the Innova in bare bones specs though it still has higher power, GC, All round disk brakes and larger tyres.

Have not forgotten to post the Konkan experience snaps will do so soon, need to select and resize them as yet.
ACM is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th October 2012, 20:57   #259
BHPian

Hi ACM,
Nice to see your thread regularly updated. I saw your Aria parked at Automatrix Mangalore when I had been there for the second service of my Punto. I was not a BHPian then, but since I was following your thread I knew it was yours :-).
Sorry if I have missed it, but how was your Aria transported back ?
Old 29th October 2012, 09:14   #260
Senior - BHPian

Re: Konkan Experience with TATA Motors Full Throttle - Clips II

ACM, how much would the DMF cost for Aria? IIRC, a clutch change ( the whole kit) costs 12k ish for Safari.

Didnt know that Laura had/has DMF.
Old 29th October 2012, 14:07   #261
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Konkan Experience with TATA Motors Full Throttle - Clips II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus_M View Post
I saw your Aria parked at Automatrix Mangalore Sorry if I have missed it, but how was your Aria transported back ?
The Tata Service guys got the car repaired withing about 5 days and then the TATA Motors Full Throttle teams TATA representative had it driven down to Mumbai. I was then in the middle of the Konkan experience and TATA motors provided me an alternate Aria to continue the trip in till Mumbai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
ACM, how much would the DMF cost for Aria? IIRC, a clutch change ( the whole kit) costs 12k ish for Safari.

Didnt know that Laura had/has DMF.
Aria DMF costs about 24K including Taxes and Labour.

The Aria clutch + Pressure Plate + Labour + bearing is together about 10K lower than in the Safari as the Aria has the DMF in addition.
Old 31st October 2012, 17:57   #262
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

SNAPS from the TMFT Konkan Experience

Am pasting below snaps frrom the TMFT Konkan Experience.

Most of these were shot by wifee.

Have unlike earlier not disguised the Number Plate/s as some of these have anyways made their way to various facebook posts through snaps clicked by other participants.

Since our camera and camera woman were both safely inside the vehicle during the rains there are no sensational snaps. Have reduced the size of snaps of the view around but still kept a few to keep a bit of the flavour.

Me pasting the stickers the wrong way (without colin glass cleaner):
TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-dsc03396.jpg

The Cougar Team doing it the right way:
TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-dsc03397.jpg
TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-dsc03399.jpg

Starting young:
TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-dsc03398.jpg
TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-dsc03400.jpg

Convoy on the Way: Post first halt a bit after Pune:
TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-dsc03402.jpg
TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-dsc03409.jpg
TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-dsc03414.jpg

Nuts who keep the Emergency signal light blinking in the Tunnel - blinding others.
TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-dsc03425.jpg

Satnav to cross check the directions along the way:
TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-dsc03440.jpg

The Full Aria Pride 9919 Team:
TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-dsc03442.jpg

Views along the Mumbai Goa Route:
TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-dsc03416.jpg
TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-dsc03419.jpg
TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-dsc03427.jpg
TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-dsc03428.jpg

A sunset point in the middle of nowhere just after Vitthal Kamat at Amboli.
TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-dsc03443.jpg

Goa the Next Day Morning:
TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-dsc03450.jpg

Last edited by ACM : 31st October 2012 at 18:22.
ACM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st October 2012, 19:04   #263
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

TMFT KE Snaps - II

TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-dsc03614.jpgIs that our Governor outside Goa Raj Bhavan?
TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-dsc03458.jpg

Along Goa Costal Roads:
TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-dsc03462.jpg
TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-dsc03463.jpg

At Goa Saint Francis Xaviers Church
TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-dsc03471.jpg

Leaving from Taj Vivanta Panaji Goa
TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-dsc03398.jpg
TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-dsc03501.jpg

Walking round the car to get some sensation in the feet on the way to Mangalore
TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-dsc03505.jpg

Goa Mangalore Convoy:
TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-dsc03513.jpg
TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-dsc03515.jpg

One of the best sections of the sandy white beach encountered along the route: Close to Turtle Bay Resort on route close to Mangalore.
TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-dsc03524.jpg
TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-dsc03530.jpg
TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-dsc03548.jpg

Round the fire at Coorg TATA Plantation Trails with the replacement Aria to continue the journey:
TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-dsc03562.jpg

Coorg Trails to Jog Falls - Steep and narrow Trails:
TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-dsc03583.jpg
TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-dsc03584.jpg

Superb View and equally bad roads - Coorg to Jog Falls:
TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-dsc03593.jpg

Final Destination before turning back for Bombay: - Jog Falls:
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03614.JPG
Views:	1537
Size:	331.4 KB
ID:	1008376

Posting some snaps of the views along the way from Mangalore to Coorg Plantation Trails (Flowers) to Jog Falls below: Don't want to covert this ownership thread into a travel thread so will stop now.
Attached Thumbnails
TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-dsc03470.jpg  

TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-dsc03502.jpg  

TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-dsc03509.jpg  

TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-dsc03517.jpg  

TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-dsc03528.jpg  

TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-dsc03553.jpg  

TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-dsc03566.jpg  

TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-dsc03570.jpg  

TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-dsc03573.jpg  

TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-dsc03574.jpg  

TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-dsc03587.jpg  

TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-dsc03589.jpg  

Last edited by ACM : 31st October 2012 at 19:32.
ACM is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th November 2012, 12:47   #264
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

An Aria made ready for real off roading vs the normal one

Am pasting below snaps of Aria made ready for a bit of true off roading vs the normal one.

Changes:
1) Suspension lifted - Seen in front and side views as well as in the wheel arch.

2) Front overhang reduced by shortening the font bumper - instead of three rows of black strips in the bumper there are two in the modified one. Also there is a slit for the raised intercooler.

3) Front bumper Air spoiler that aids in managing air flow at high speeds is removed in the modified Aria.

4) Intercooler upfront is raised and hence new slots/grill added to aid cooling through the modified bumper.

A normal Aria in white to compare with the modified one - Look at the GC and the front Bumper with three slots, a spoiler strip at the bottom and no Intercooler grill.
TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-20121002-09.12.34.jpg

A few views of the modified Aria with smaller two strip bumper no spoiler strip and with an added intercooler grill for the raised intercooler. Also note the raised GC and hence the space in the wheel Arch.
TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-20121002-09.12.42.jpg
TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-20121002-09.12.48.jpg
TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-20121002-09.12.54.jpg
TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-20121002-09.13.08.jpg
TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-20121002-09.12.26.jpg

The Last two snaps are of the Normal Aria that TATA Motors provided to me to complete my Konkan Experience once my own Car broke down. Though they did not have to do this as per the terms of the trip but then it was a nice goodwill gesture and in a way them owning up to their responsibility as a team to ensure the customer did not suffer.
TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-20121010-11.37.13.jpg
TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-20121010-11.37.28.jpg

Last edited by ACM : 5th November 2012 at 12:59.
ACM is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th November 2012, 12:57   #265
Senior - BHPian

re: TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!

Hi ACM,

Nice snaps. What is the mirror on your dashboard next to the GPS screen?
Old 5th November 2012, 13:06   #266
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

re: TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
Hi ACM,

Nice snaps. What is the mirror on your dashboard next to the GPS screen?
That is a mirror to (when required) see my kiddo and other passengers in the back seat without turning back. The XUV by the way has one of these integrated into the roof above the rear view mirror. Have seen this I think in the Rexton as well I guess. Got mine from Mother Care, and either keep it in the spot shown or on the glass just above the rear view mirror on the driver side.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2012, 09:29   #267
Senior - BHPian

Hi ACM,
Coming to this thread after a long time indeed.
Sorry to read about the minor mishap in August. Glad to read that it was done up well and cheap too. But yes as others pointed out the need to carry out the work on the entire rear door by the ASC was quite an overkill.
Did the Tata folks mention as to why and how did the flywheel start vibrating and what exactly went wrong with it ? Also didn't quite catch as to why the gearbox was replaced. Any reason that I may have missed ?
Wonderful trip to Konkan and great snaps.
Again a query - the snap with the Indian Navy Missile Boat (Osa I/Vidyut class) - where was this taken ?
Great that you got your Aria back in good condition and with plenty of new stuff !
Happy driving.

Last edited by Guderian : 6th November 2012 at 09:31.
Old 6th November 2012, 11:59   #268
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Hi ACM,
Coming to this thread after a long time indeed.
Sorry to read about the minor mishap in August. Glad to read that it was done up well and cheap too. But yes as others pointed out the need to carry out the work on the entire rear door by the ASC was quite an overkill.
Did the Tata folks mention as to why and how did the flywheel start vibrating and what exactly went wrong with it ? Also didn't quite catch as to why the gearbox was replaced. Any reason that I may have missed ?
Wonderful trip to Konkan and great snaps.
Again a query - the snap with the Indian Navy Missile Boat (Osa I/Vidyut class) - where was this taken ?
Great that you got your Aria back in good condition and with plenty of new stuff !
Happy driving.
Thanks Guderian, We need to catch up one of these days.

Though we cannot be exactly sure, I believe a bearing in the Gearbox developed play leading to the central spindal in the gearbox breaking most of it's teeth over time, though repairable by internal part replacement TATA were convinced by me to replace it entirely considering my usage pattern , Simultaneously the linked parts of DMF and the Clutch were at close to 50K kms and were obviously in the bottom 25-30% of their normal life. DMF life even for the european brands like Skoda, VW, Audi (actually the same part for all three) tends to be lesser than that of SMF. They too were I guess impacted in quick succession probably due to the vehicle being driven a fair bit (as it was in the middle of the trip) before getting the required attention at the service centre. They should probably have replace it all entirely at one go but I guess they tried with one part and then later it was found that the rest too needed replacement.

The Indian Navy Boat was on route between Goa and Mangalore around Karvar about 1.5 hrs from Goa I guess.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2012, 14:15   #269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post

Though we cannot be exactly sure, I believe a bearing in the Gearbox developed play leading to the central spindal in the gearbox breaking most of it's teeth over time...

The Indian Navy Boat was on route between Goa and Mangalore around Karvar about 1.5 hrs from Goa I guess.
Hi ACM,
Thanks for the note.
Oh yes we'll catch up indeed.

That gearbox bit sounds quite scary. Never heard of this before really. I thought the GB bearings and slip sleeves are supposed to be among the toughest parts in a vehicle. Anyway I suppose it's one of those things in a mechanical device. Glad all is well now - but can imagine what you'd have gone through then with the family and all.

OT:
That Indian Navy Missile Boat in Karwar - I can barely make out the pennant number painted on the side as 'K84'. And if that's so then that's the INS Vijeta. One of the iconic vessels of the IN. OSA l/Vidyut class missile boat. Its sister boats of the Killer MB Squad attacked Karachi Harbour and Pak NHQ on the night of Dec 4, '71 during the Indo-Pak war sinking destroyers PNSs Khaibar & Shah Jahan besides damaging quite a few PN ships and shore installations.
The squad against struck Karachi on Dec 8, '71.
Quite a bit of history there !

Last edited by Guderian : 6th November 2012 at 14:38.
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2012, 18:04   #270
BHPian

Hi ACM,
Thanks for an excellent post. Hope I am not off topic in asking you-
Are you satisfied with the illumination from the pair of stock 55 watt bulbs? Did you opt for any upgrade or see any changes made in the other cars at the Full Throttle event. I recently did a bit of highway night-driving last week in my Aria and felt the need for better lights. Would like to hear you experience.

Most Viewed