Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2013, 16:38   #301
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

re: TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahakar View Post
LOL I even get this tak sound of the AC.

Never bothered about it really as my music is on very loud when I drive.

Will get it checked on my next visit to the A*S*S.

On the sound situation, one thing that the A*S*S haven't managed to get rid of is the sound of the brakes. You know you get that squealing or screeching sound from buses and trucks when they brake at signals, that kind. I get it once in a while especially on very slow speed braking. I have heard the same on my US / Europe trips on GM/Ford trucks. Any of you having something similar on your Arias.

Cheers
I don't or if at all very rarely get any sound from the brakes - they are squeak free.

I did change the brakes pads some time around 40k kms I think - Not sure but this thread does have it mentioned where.

My biggest issue has been the number of non standard service visits that I have had to make for the ARIA and the days at the service centre. TATA ASS that I visit (Wasan Chembur) have been good overall and they do give special attention to Aria Guys but I just don't want to keep meeting them even if they replace every thing on the car Free of Cost within Warranty. Nope it is no Toyota. It is still more fun to drive and has better interiors but nowhere close as far as niggle free ownership is concerned.
Old 24th March 2013, 18:34   #302
AAD
BHPian

re: TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!

ACM - I am back to SMF from DMF. The clutch started to act funny last week & I had difficulty engaging 1st & Reverse Gear. Sent the Aria to Tata Motors, Worli & have been advised to go for SMF since the DMF has again given way.

I am losing confidence in the Aria as a reliable vehicle & since my work involves long distance travelling, I am seriously looking to change to Fortuner for bullet proof reliability.
Old 25th March 2013, 10:03   #303
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAD View Post
ACM - I am back to SMF from DMF. The clutch started to act funny last week & I had difficulty engaging 1st & Reverse Gear. Sent the Aria to Tata Motors, Worli & have been advised to go for SMF since the DMF has again given way.

I am losing confidence in the Aria as a reliable vehicle & since my work involves long distance travelling, I am seriously looking to change to Fortuner for bullet proof reliability.
Sad - I think you must insist that TATA indeed does find a solution that lets you use the DMF reliably - some other component (clutch -bearing or gearbox) in the drive train must be causing the DMF Premature Failure.

Last edited by ACM : 25th March 2013 at 10:04.
Old 25th March 2013, 10:09   #304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Sad - I think you must insist that TATA indeed does find a solution that lets you use the DMF reliably - some other component (clutch -bearing or gearbox) in the drive train must be causing the DMF Premature Failure.
The new 2.2 dicor engines for Safari (2012 and onwards) have the mark2 gearbox and DMF. I have not heard of any DMF failures on any new Safari including mine. Why are they failing on the Aria?
Old 25th March 2013, 10:47   #305
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
The new 2.2 dicor engines for Safari (2012 and onwards) have the mark2 gearbox and DMF. I have not heard of any DMF failures on any new Safari including mine.
I think they have stopped the DMF, and are back to the single.
Old 25th March 2013, 11:28   #306
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
The new 2.2 dicor engines for Safari (2012 and onwards) have the mark2 gearbox and DMF. I have not heard of any DMF failures on any new Safari including mine. Why are they failing on the Aria?
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
I think they have stopped the DMF, and are back to the single.
To the best of my knowledge:

1) Safari does not come with DMF - It is SMF.
2) Aria higher models still come with DMF except for pure LX (which has SMF for sure) - not sure about Pure either.
3) Mine required replacement at about 47,000 kms and it was replaced within warranty with a DMF - about 3 months back.

They for sure seem to have some issue with DMF and if a customer says he is fine with SMF seem to be offering it to him but I feel that is not the correct approach and they should put all resources into finding the solution.

My Laura DMF required replacement around 50,000 kms and it was then out of warranty - cost me about Rs. 43,000. They too have a SMF option if the customer wishes to save some money (anyways out of warranty) - it is about 40% cheaper.
Old 26th March 2013, 01:36   #307
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
....My Laura DMF required replacement around 50,000 kms and it was then out of warranty - cost me about Rs. 43,000...
Quote:
3) Mine required replacement at about 47,000 kms and it was replaced within warranty with a DMF - about 3 months back....
Any idea how much does the Aria's DMF / SMF cost?
Old 26th March 2013, 10:03   #308
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Any idea how much does the Aria's DMF / SMF cost?
I think DMF was between 24-28K - Don't remember exactly but definately between the two figures. Don't know the SMF pricing.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2013, 12:06   #309
BHPian

Read elsewhere in this forum that you had sold the Aria. Would like to know the reason behind the decision ACM.
Old 2nd June 2013, 10:47   #310
BHPian

Quote:

I think DMF was between 24-28K - Don't remember exactly but definately between the two figures. Don't know the SMF pricing.
ACM, I too would like to know the reason for you selling of aria as I am considering bw aria and storme.you may pm please.
Old 3rd June 2013, 12:27   #311
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqMaster View Post
Read elsewhere in this forum that you had sold the Aria. Would like to know the reason behind the decision ACM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
ACM, I too would like to know the reason for you selling of aria as I am considering bw aria and storme.you may pm please.
Yes I have just sold / returned by Aria to TATA (Through their dealer). I think since mine was from the very first lot it was a bit of lemon in some ways. It had issues and they were indeed taken care off. The service centre gave special attention but did take a whole lot of time. It was finally a matter of loss in confidence - but not in the product but rather in the particular unit that I had.

The Process took more than 3 months of negotiations, but I think TATA overall took care of me in the end and did the right thing. - Do not wish to divulge any more info than that though I am free to.

The Aria is without any doubt in my view the better vehicle compared to the Storme. Infact I would say that the one vehicle that comes closest to the Aria is the Rexton, but it is a fair bit more expensive OTR. Also need to mention that I had bought the Aria over the Fortuner which I will now also acknowledge would be a lot more reliable (but we all know that) and yet the Aria is a lot more comfortable and a greater joy to drive overall (need not necessarily mean a better ownership experience though as that would depend on the specific needs and the individuals temperament as well).

The Storme is ideal for mild rough-roading and also if one's drive is limited to a shorter traffic filled distance daily. I drove 70-100 kms daily with 3/4th being free roads and in high speed driving the Aria is much better. But on really bad roads and in tight traffic the Storme is more fun. Also the Aria is in my view for those who want a bit more refinement and comfort in life and for those who value features and use them (a bit like me.) The Strome is quite bare in that sense. I had consider and was offered a swap (leaving out the financial aspects) with the Strome but I liked the Aria more inspite of trying out the Strome for a few days. My kid though did love the Storme and Yes it has one advantage in the sense that one can lug the engine around probably due to the absence of DMF and AWD. The Aria stalls in second gear at low speeds quite easily over speed bumps and infact one is advised to shift to first to prevent damage to DMF. The Strome is more flexible about the gear we can pick it up from. The Aria seat belt is a bit tight for heavier persons while the Storme has a really long one. In the storme Taller persons 6' + guys will find the top of the speedo getting cut by the steering which ever position one selects - Aria has that aspect bang one. The Strome has more leg room for the driver than the Aria. The Aria seats are more comfortable than the Strome (all of them).

I did have issues with the Aria but none of them were really about the high end features of the Aria that it has over the Storme. Most were mechanical issues and the Aria and the Storme share the same mechanicals for most things. Both are in my view quite sorted out by now. So should be reliable.

I think we should see a Aria face lift (minor look change with AT & more power possibly) around Diwali or year end. (Just the Gut feel basis reports but with no official info basis), and we should see a double DIN in the Strome some time next year, and of course an AT as well in due course.

I think the Storme looks better than the Aria on the outside but one spends all the time on the inside and the Aria is a much better vehicle there. Both will depreciate quite fast though.

Hope this view point helps.

Still have to upload the farewell snap/s.
ACM is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2013, 13:50   #312
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
It was finally a matter of loss in confidence - but not in the product but rather in the particular unit that I had.
With Tata each unit is a coin toss. I hope you get heads next time around

Quote:
I would say that the one vehicle that comes closest to the Aria is the Rexton, but it is a fair bit more expensive OTR.
I too have narrowed down my choice to Rexton from the lot of UVs avl in the 16 to 25 OTR price. My decision was mainly due to the fact that I owned the M-Class on which this Rexton is based and I really loved the car despite a few bug bears that Mercedes came with those days. Engine, gearbox , drivetrain is same as ML270 CDI. Transfer case is from Borg Warner., hence the core mechanicals are fairly robust and proven. My main concerns are the Korean Gismos added by SSyangyong, so I will go for the manual which doesn't have all the fancy stuff...
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2013, 14:46   #313
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I too have narrowed down my choice to Rexton from the lot of UVs avl in the 16 to 25 OTR price. My decision was mainly due to the fact that I owned the M-Class on which this Rexton is based and I really loved the car despite a few bug bears that Mercedes came with those days. Engine, gearbox , drivetrain is same as ML270 CDI. Transfer case is from Borg Warner., hence the core mechanicals are fairly robust and proven. My main concerns are the Korean Gismos added by SSyangyong, so I will go for the manual which doesn't have all the fancy stuff...
Actually I have bit of a take on this as well.

My Sis located in USA had the ML for many years (5-7) and it proved to be quite unreliable - (she had to on multiple occasions enter the vehicle going in from the rear door or to open the dickey by going in from the other side. Once in sub zero temp the driver side window would not go up and she had to drive for 1 hr to home in such a situation and finally gave up and sold it for an Honda Acura for the reliability only to find that it was actually worse. They used it too for about 7 years and recently went in for a LR - don't remember which model exactly. On my mentioning that a LR won't really match a Honda or Merc on reliability their response was that nothing could get worse after their last two vehicles. They did check out the Merc GL but were put off by the reliability reports in North America and just did not like the Land Cruiser. (Of course at all times they did have another more reliable vehicle with them at home for her other half.

It seems that the Merc GL & ML are made at Alabama USA and hence are not that well made (in their experience and as per reports) while the S Class being made at Germany has always been reliable. I have definitely observed cases of unsatisfied customers for both the Merc ML and GL within India as well.

Now with the Sanyoung rexton being based on the ML - that does raise doubts in my mind. The TATA Aria atleast came with a 4 year 150,000 kms warranty, but am not sure about the Rextron warranty. I too may eventually go for it but there is definitely something to worry about.
Old 3rd June 2013, 19:49   #314
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
It seems that the Merc GL & ML are made at Alabama USA and hence are not that well made (in their experience and as per reports) while the S Class being made at Germany has always been reliable. I have definitely observed cases of unsatisfied customers for both the Merc ML and GL within India as well.
Your sister is definitely correct. My M-Class too had it's share of problems, and it was definitely due to the fact that it was Mercedes first plant in North America. However, just like Tata, it had more to do with execution and QC than with design. I always say that the best SUV you can buy in India will be designed by Tata and made by Mahindra...
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2013, 22:29   #315
BHPian

Well ACM, I am not sure if this thread kind of concludes how it started - Heart over mind or mind in the right place!.

I feel a bit sad that despite many sincere attempts to report issues and get them corrected, TATA isn't learning from these "incidents". It is a bit sad to know that you had to sell your Aria which I am sure you have maintained well.

While I am eagerly waiting for the Aria AT I have in my mind a question which bothers me - if I am to buy the Aria AT and gives me same teething issues as my Marina DiCOR had given me 6+ years ago probably folks in my family will call me a Dumpkopf.

ACM's ownership report kind of helped me maintain some kind of defense to my anti-TATA folks. Probably I now have to go slow with the idea of an Aria.

To summarize - TATA makes great vehicles, but they lack the refinement and the touch which others provide. Concorde Motors gives great service better than Hyundai folks but still folks love Hyundai cars for their finish and "upmarket feel".
srinih75 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks