Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2011, 12:50   #136
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

re: TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!

Furebo, will have to check that and get back, give me a day. I don't remember exactly.
Old 16th March 2011, 15:44   #137
Senior - BHPian

re: TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!

Hi ACM,
Went through the thread and the details and enjoyed myself ! Great reporting.
While the Tata Aria never caught my fancy, thanks to the report I now feel I've test driven and know quite a bit about it. And be able to speak very knowledgably about it to poor unsuspecting guys !
Let's meet up sometime in Thane and check out the two vehicles we are possessed by !

A Request : Could you post some shots of the engine bay ? Thanks.

Last edited by Guderian : 16th March 2011 at 15:54.
Old 21st March 2011, 17:46   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furebo View Post
Looks like the wait keeps getting longer, ACM where art thou?
Hey ACM i got the data i needed, LobsterB helped me out. Sorry if i caused any trouble!

I went through your thread and and i read many good things about the Aria. But as an owner could you list the shortcomings in an unbiased way?

This would really help many, thanks.

Last edited by Furebo : 21st March 2011 at 18:06.
Old 23rd March 2011, 10:24   #139
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Third Service

Guedrian, Nice Idea, lets meet up in Thane one of this days. Will PM.

Furebo, Oops jut did not get the time for snaps, but I guess you got the info, Will revert soon in a later post on the shortcomings.

Third Service.

Have pasted a scan of service 1+2+3 Bills, Rs. 6225 + Rs. 360 + Rs. 6896
The actual essential bits were about Rs. 200 + Rs. 200 + Rs. 5500, the rest were my indulgence. (Like Teflon, Use of Spray for greesing, AC Fungus spray, Bardahl Oil Additive etc.)

Highlights:

1) No Lowlights at all, am delighted with the service, everything went smooth, and the SA was pleasant.

2) All three times (3 services) the person mentioned as SA was the person who attended. All three times this guy met me on time and gave the car on time. Have rated him 10/10 each time. He has always taken care of minor jobs left pending (parts not in stock) from previous service in the next one.

Neutral:

1) They replaced a bolt connected with the gearbox or something (not really sure) with a nylon one. (This is supposed to reduce the already low gear knob vibrations further.) There are not supposed to inform the customers about this, but the relationship developed over time got me this info. They will incorporate all improvements of significance in all cars when they come for service automatically.

2) They is a ECU reprogam for the very initial Aria's again meant to address a shaking Gear knob, which I think PSB had I havent. This was in very initial units and the chassis no pops up if the update is required. They will only do this if there is a complaint in this matter for one of the initial cars.

They seem to be taking feedback and tweeking suff.

Lowlights:

1) Very minor niggles but if one is reasonable there are actually none.

2) All Filters are expensive in the Dicor range.

Addtional Points:

A) Went in for Normal Oil (not synthetic) This itself is close to Rs. 400/ltr now and synthetic is close Rs. 1200/ltr (both cases with taxes). Added A Diesel Additive instead.

B) Will be servicing it every 11k kms now onwards (though 15K is prescribed) will get allignment and rotation done at these same intervals, and will replace all filters aswell.
Attached Thumbnails
TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-_20110323_09461301.jpg  

Last edited by ACM : 23rd March 2011 at 10:38.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2011, 10:38   #140
BHPian

Re: Third Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Will be servicing it every 11k kms now onwards (though 15K is prescribed) will get allignment and rotation done at these same intervals, and will replace all filters aswell.
Interesting bit that Aria has 15k service intervals,

one of the guys i met was telling me that with the Aria all services are free (No labor) till 3 years/1L kms can you confirm this?
Old 23rd March 2011, 10:53   #141
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Furebo

The info given is only partially correct.

With the Aria one has only 5 free services, 45000kms or 3 years which ever is earlier.

1st Service - 1000-1500 kms or 1 month
2nd Service - 5000-5500 kms or (dont remember 3 or 6 months)
3rd Service - 15000-15000 kms or 12 months
4th Service - 30000-30500 kms or 24 months
5th Serivice - 45000-45500 kms or 36 months

So even if one sticks to 15000 kms interval if one does 45000 kms in 1.5 years then the free services will end after 1.5 years.

The Service book clearly mentions that if one is doing only intra city runs in heavy traffic all the time then the service intervals should be reduced to as low as 7500kms, for me it is a fair mix of all forms of trafic and freeway so have arrived at 11k kms.

I my case am at just 4.5 months and have finished the first 3 services, at 11k kms.

They do oil and filter changes only in services 3,4,5... (1&2) are more like inspection and correction services with no oil changes.

In case of free services also Oil change and filters are charges as also alignment, tyre rotation is free.

I think I will be by 12 months be close to 33k kms and would have finished all 5 free services in my first year itself.

There is as per the serivice advisor a person who has been running up huge no of miles on the Aria he is presently at about 35,000 kms and has finished his 4 services in just this initial 5 months. He has a more basic model of the Aria and seems he has a factory in Gujarat that he keeps visiting from Bombay.

By the way there are still absolutely no rattles for me even at 11k kms. As per the SA all other TATA cars before this had major corrections coming in from the factory in the initial periods but that has not been the case in the Aria. Touch wood.

Last edited by ACM : 23rd March 2011 at 10:55.
Old 23rd March 2011, 14:02   #142
Senior - BHPian

You can check GTO's official review on the Aria for the pics, till ACM uploads his pics.

here is the link:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ve-review.html

Thanks Furebo.

Still loooking for the engine bay pics ACM !

What exactly is the crushed can like thing (looks plastic-ky, dark grey) on the right top part of the engine bay ?
That radiator cap/aperture too looks very unique and 'chromy'. Any different from the normal design ?
The TFort doesn't have a radiator cap. Coolant reservoir bottle cap is the only input point.
Interesting, how different manufacturers throw up unique designs compared to the standard designs across manufacturers a few years ago !

Last edited by mobike008 : 23rd March 2011 at 15:56. Reason: removed improper quote tags
Old 28th March 2011, 09:41   #143
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Still loooking for the engine bay pics ACM !

What exactly is the crushed can like thing (looks plastic-ky, dark grey) on the right top part of the engine bay ?
That radiator cap/aperture too looks very unique and 'chromy'. Any different from the normal design ?
The TFort doesn't have a radiator cap. Coolant reservoir bottle cap is the only input point.
Interesting, how different manufacturers throw up unique designs compared to the standard designs across manufacturers a few years ago !

Actually that crushed can like thing that you see in GTO's Engine bay snaps is not present in mine. Infact at that same location I have the ECU and it is quite elegantly fitted, let me get across a snap of that next time I open the hood. Had noticed the crushed can myself while checking out that review but never checked for it on mine till you pointed it out.

Also there is no radiator chap. Like in your TFort the coolant reservoir bottle cap is the only input point here too.

Also the review vehicle in GTO's review has matt steel buttons on the steering wheel. While mine are High gloss Satin black and so are those on all other Aria's that I have seen. Even other publications that did the review had matt steel buttons, I guess that ended with the review lot.

There have been some changes since the initial review vehicle but these are quite noticeable.

Last edited by ACM : 28th March 2011 at 09:42.
Old 28th March 2011, 10:20   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Actually that crushed can like thing that you see in GTO's Engine bay snaps is not present in mine. Infact at that same location I have the ECU and it is quite elegantly fitted, let me get across a snap of that next time I open the hood. Had noticed the crushed can myself while checking out that review but never checked for it on mine till you pointed it out.

Also there is no radiator chap. Like in your TFort the coolant reservoir bottle cap is the only input point here too.

Also the review vehicle in GTO's review has matt steel buttons on the steering wheel. While mine are High gloss Satin black and so are those on all other Aria's that I have seen. Even other publications that did the review had matt steel buttons, I guess that ended with the review lot.

There have been some changes since the initial review vehicle but these are quite noticeable.
Hi ACM, Thanks. Ahso - the radiator redesign is now becoming the order of the day. Incidentally now I am all the more curious to know what is that chromy thing on what appears to be a radiator in GTO's snaps. I thought that was a radiator cap !

And now I await the snaps from your Aria's engine bay !

Last edited by Guderian : 28th March 2011 at 10:32.
Old 30th March 2011, 22:37   #145
BHPian

Hey ACM, I got a chance to check out the Aria at a nearby car accessories shop. Looked really cool. The owner commented that the handling was rather smooth, and better than many city cars within the city. And the tyres looked really chunky - good for our potholed roads. It looks like this will be on my shortlist when I start looking around for my SUV soon
Old 4th April 2011, 12:07   #146
BHPian

Hi Just came across in another post of yours that Aria`s Plus variant with 4x2 drive specifications are mentioned in the service manual. Can throw some light on the specification for that like kerb weight , tyre size and ground clearance? Are there any differences in the features list? My brother was ready to go for the base Aria but was skeptical about the exterior look of the vehicle as no dealer has stock of that.Since the present base version has 4wd but no ESP or TC we thought its better to wait till TATA launches a 2wd drive at say 13 lak approx.The vehicle would be used for touring.
Old 20th April 2011, 16:56   #147
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Improvement Ideas for the Aria - how to better what is already quite good.

One can always make a good product even better, so here goes - some dreams..Ideas for TATA to make the Aria even better.

The Aria is already well featured but it can be even better. The quality is decent so what can they do.

1) Wiper Blades should be like those in the Laura, Linea, Punto, Civic – Bosch Aero Twin single slab of rubber. Yes the movement style is similar to that in the Civic but similar rubber should also have been used, this would cost so less yet and would make the vehicle seem better compared to the present inelegant blades.

2) Daylight running lights (possibly with the front fogs) – just a software feature that can be added.

3) Autofold the mirrors when key is removed from ignition. (will help improve the life of the mirror fold button and make it more convenient. This would improve WOW factor at Zero additional cost as it is purely a software feature.

4) Give a range of tyre upgrades upto which warranty on the car will still be valid.

5) Sell the accessories painted at the factory end with cost of painting included.

6) Power though good should have been close to 165 bhp with 0-100 timings close to 13 Sec. (like the fortuner . Am sure a remap would achieve this easily with the present new drive train and superb stability handling this extra power will be fine.

7) TATA car buyers always feel that first editions are tryouts for the company and they will lose out. Hence many people avoid the first versions of TATA vehicles. For a change ensure that the first time buyers of the ARIA are protected and pass on improvements to the car to them even if at a specific optional cost. The word getting out about this will boost the brand value of TATA MOTORS as a company that takes care of their customers. Unlikely to happen but no harm in dreaming right?

8) Provide 3D floor mats with the car by default, the Rs. 980 Mats on offer feel a bit cheap for this car.

9) Powered Front Seats would help a lot. How about memory seats that also track the ORVM settings.

10) Headrest mounted DVD Screens and player would help. I can get one of good quality fitted outside for as less as Rs. 8500, then why is this basic feature that even the Safari VX has been skipped on. It would make the top end model seem even better value.

11) Remote for middle row to control the infotainment would have helped- alternatively audio controls in the middle row armrest would be nice to have.

12) Middle row arm rest is a bit too shot to be comfortable enough, needs to be longer.

13) Front and middle row seats could have been bolstered and curved a bit more for a more snug fit on the passengers on the seats. Sportier seats anyone.

14) Official Side Step as an accessory (similar to safari side step) rather than the present dealer sourced one would be nice to have.

15) Roof Rails (not luggage carrier) would improve the looks of the Aria significantly.

16) Led Parking lights don’t really add too much to the cost, and kinda moves the car a segment higher.

17) Xenons could come in at a later stage, not too essential right now.

18) It is hard to fold the last row seats, always get the pants dirty on the rear bumper each time as the motion involved pulling the nylon tag while pushing the seat forward. Powered fold for the last row seats would add to the plush factor - like the Merc GL / R-Class. How about a powered rear door close feature?

19) An original front guard as an official accessories would help those who want to mount additional auxiliary lights. The Aria would be used a lot for long distance travel and these lights are useful at night. Plus this helps in bullying the ricks.

20) The front seat belts are a bit short for large six footers like me, they limit the extent to which I can raise the front driver seat.

21) The front row seats should go back a further couple of inches at the max back position. The space compared to the Safari is reduced in the front seat travel needs to be increased a bit.

22) Parking sensors also be retained even though there is a camera in the pride version, the sensors make a sound and give distance info. Infact the sensors if added to the front like in cars like the Laura would aid parking since one can’t see the entire front and it would help the judgement.

23) Hooks for luggage / nets in the rear space.

24) Manual sliding sun netting on the middle row door glasses would again take the car to a higher level without too much addition in the cost at your end. Powered ones..

25) Just go ahead a load the woofer space in the rear door panel with a wired unit however small.

Phew.. anyone want to add to this? from a fun perspective, am sure TATA has been watching the ownership threads on TBHP.

A lot of what I have suggested above is really practical infact get a feeling that all of this could be done in less than 1-1.5L more to make for a dream vehicle. Half of the pointers can be brought in at the current price itself. When one spends so much time in the car one does get ideas about what one can do to it.
Old 27th April 2011, 14:30   #148
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
Hi Just came across in another post of yours that Aria`s Plus variant with 4x2 drive specifications are mentioned in the service manual. Can throw some light on the specification for that like kerb weight , tyre size and ground clearance? Are there any differences in the features list? My brother was ready to go for the base Aria but was skeptical about the exterior look of the vehicle as no dealer has stock of that.Since the present base version has 4wd but no ESP or TC we thought its better to wait till TATA launches a 2wd drive at say 13 lak approx.The vehicle would be used for touring.
Damodar

Sorry for the delay in responding, have pasted below scans from the TATA Motors Service book that mention the specs of the Plus as well as prestige + variants that are not yet offically introduced in the market.

The Plus variant would indeed be in the Innova spec and price zone, but have no idea when TATA would launch it.

Credits for the scans are to the TATA Aria Service Manual
Attached Thumbnails
TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-146.jpg  

TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-147.jpg  

TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-148.jpg  

TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-149.jpg  

Old 27th April 2011, 14:38   #149
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furebo View Post
@ACM

Hey I was curious so as to know as to where the chassis/engine number and VIN are located on the Aria.
Could you please upload some pictures of the same; it would be really helpful.
Again a delayed reaction.

Got the info that you require in the service manual itself, did not actually search the car for it.
Attached Thumbnails
TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-numbering-locations.jpg  

ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2011, 14:42   #150
AVR
BHPian

The "Number of Wheels" line item is really enlightening.

Good review going there and nice points put up as enhancements. Am hoping to see a lot of similar fit-n-finish improvments in the Merlin also.

Would you ever evaluate a tuning box or remap post warranty? Do you think an Aria needs more power? Another user in his review mentioned that power is just enough but never lacking. What do you think?

Cheers,
Adi

Most Viewed