Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2010, 20:19   #1
BHPian

My 2010 Mitsubishi Outlander – Vogue White & Aggressive

Background & Selection –

It all started 1.5 years ago when I sold of my 7 year old Mahindra Scorpio. I cannot remember even a single day that I got disappointed with the Scorpio (keeping aside the usual generic issues). It was a fantastic vehicle to own. Moving on, I sold the SUV early last year in anticipation of upgrading to a new Car. I have always been inclined more towards SUVs as they are unmatched when it comes to the ‘FEEL’ factor. Even during my college (year 2006) in the US, I bought a ’96 Jeep Cherokee 4x4. What a beast it was. I drove it in 15inch.+ deep snow covered tarmac with a ‘U-haul’ trailer attached behind and it was just one of the most amazing experience ever. Anyways, then started the process of short listing the nominees for the next purchase. I had a budget of 10-12 Lacs. As I wanted to buy a big vehicle with sufficient GC that would suit the pathetic uneven roads of Gurgaon, I wasn’t left with many options within the budget range I had.

Following were considered for the purchase:

Tata Safari: A showroom visit was all it took to divert my mind off the Safari. I always had a soft spot for the rugged and handsome Safari but the interior quality made me think twice. The display model had its interior fitting all loose and flimsy. The sales guy wasn’t very enthusiast either. On the other hand, the commanding position of the front seats and the comfort in the rear seats are simply way ahead of the competition. Don’t get me wrong, it is an awesome VFM SUV but somehow the quality niggles kept me from short listing this SUV to the final list.

Toyota Innova: Enough has already been said and read about this car in T-BHP. Very comfortable, easy to drive, more car-like than the competition, Toyota resale and reliability, etc. etc. But its shape just doesn’t exude the ‘flavor-waves’ that I was looking for. And that was a deal breaker for me. It’s a MUV not a SUV.

USED Pajero/CR-V/Grand Vitara etc.: Used cars were also considered but the idea of high maintenance cost and the compromise in the ‘new car’ feel prevented me from going there.

Mahindra Scorpio: The new Scorpio is a whole different (improved) vehicle than the one I had back in the days. Everything about this SUV is better and more advanced than the older model. Along with a couple of friends I went to test drive the new Scorpio and came back very-very impressed. Mahindra has come a long way from back then when they launched the first Scorpio avatar. The ride quality is so much better and stable on the highways. It glides through the broken tarmac quite comfortably with a fair amount of ‘bounce’ but it’s not unsettling like the older model. Interiors were also acceptable and a huge improvement from the predecessor. The drive was exceptional with the 120 bhp 2.2 liter MHawk engine. It is indeed very powerful and easy to drive with the fun factor always there in the engine bay. My mind was almost set to purchase the new Scorpio. Fortunately, ‘shraads’ were about to start and a lot of people don’t make new purchases during that period. I gave myself this buffer time to rethink and come to a concrete decision. All those sleepless nights kept on making me think that if I buy the Scorpio, it will be the same car as I had before, just better. It didn’t make any sense for me as I wanted to ‘upgrade’. Irrespective of the fact that many people do buy the same car again and that the new Scorpio is a fantastic SUV, I never got 100% sure about the decision.

Because I could not decide on the new car, I got pretty irritated. Then after having a man-to-man talk with my father, it was decided that the budget be increased to 20-22 lacs. I was on cloud nine. The whole selection process started again but on a different level this time. Selecting a SUV in this budget was very exciting for me.

Following were considered for the purchase: (keeping it short)

Chevrolet Captiva: I am not a big fan of Chevys. No offence.

Ford Endeavour: A good car but the low floor seating made it quite uncomfortable for me to travel in.

Toyota Fortuner: Waiting period was the deal breaker.

Nissan X-Trail: Out of my budget.

Honda CR-V: Too common.

Mitsubishi Outlander: A last minute entry. Saw an advertisement, filled up a test-drive form online, got a call from a dealer in New Delhi, did the test-drive and the rest is history. I finalized my decision of buying the Outlander moments after the test-drive. Why? Read my review.

Buying & Delivery Experience –

Excel Motors, New Delhi, arranged for the test-drive in gurgaon. After I was done making up my mind about the purchase, I had a word with ASIAN Motors sales guy and found their offer to be a better deal. Also, Excel Motors sales guy wasn’t very active in follow ups and the usual ‘sales’ tactics. On 14th Nov. 2010, I along with a friend drove down to ASIAN Motors to finalize the deal. Down payment was made on the spot and I officially booked my new car. With finance formalities taken care of within the next two days, I was ready to do a PDI. Vogue White color was selected as it looked very sexy on the car in the showroom. Luckily they had four whites in their inventory. On 19th Nov. I along with all the completed paper work reached the showroom at sharp 10:00 am. After a couple of signatures here & there, I started with the exhaustive PDI. Everything mentioned in the T-BHP PDI list was done. I won’t go much in detail but all four cars were checked before I set my mind on the one I wanted. I found some or the other problem (physical scratches) in every car they had in stock. At one moment the Sales Manager (jokingly) told me to select the components I like in from the available cars and he will get them fixed on one of the cars . Anyways, after a daylong episode of PDI, I talked about the accessories with my sales manager. Being a ‘loaded’ car, I wasn’t very keen to accessorize it any further. So all that I asked for was the sun-films. I told them I’ll be coming again the next day for a final inspection and to check the sun-films which were to be installed that very day. Delivery was to be taken on the 21st Nov. so I had only one day in between for final inspection and to resolve any issues related to the car. Final inspection was done on the 20th of Nov. and everything was found to be in perfect shape. Woke up the next morning, all excited, got ready and left for the showroom along with two of my friends. Reached there at 11:30 am and 20 minutes later drove off in my brand new vogue white Mitsubishi Outlander. The overall experience was very good. The sales staff were very courteous and helpful during the whole process. Everything from booking to the delivery was smooth.

About the Car – (Review)

This is just the initial review (and stating the reasons as to why I bought this soft-roader) so I will keep it short. The test-drive was reason enough for me to buy this beautiful softroader. I moment I got inside the Outlander it was everything I could have asked for and more. After deciding on increasing the budget for my purchase I realized that more than an authentic SUV, I was more inclined towards an urban softroader as I never intend to do hardcore offroading, ever.

(+) I like –

1. The aggressive looking Jet Fighter grill.
2. AFS projector xenon headlamps. The throw is quite wide-spread and bright. Visibility at night is superb. They have independent washers too.
3. Sleek yet Bold looks. Very urban.
4. LED tail lamps are quite bright.
5. Split open tail gate with park bench (very practical).
6. Ride quality is very car-like. Minimal body roll that too only on high speed maneuvering only.
7. 2.4 litre petrol engine churns out 170PS of peak power at 6500 rpm which is delivered in a silky smooth way. Very peppy and rev happy. Hence, awesome.
8. 6 speed CVT transmission with paddle shifters makes it really fun to drive. Makes me feel like a F1 driver.
9. Shift-on-the-fly electronic 4x4 with differential lock.
10. Rear leg room is more than I asked for with sliding & reclining rear seats. Very comfy.
11. Electronic driver seat & manual passenger seat are very well contoured. Easy to find the perfect driving position.
12. Steering, though heavy in city, has brilliant feedback.
13. 215 mm of road defying ground clearance.
14. Cruise Control is a blessing on long highway drives.
15. 9 component Rockford Fosgate audio system is the best I have heard on a car in this range and even above. It is 6 CD MP3 changer with USB & AUX. The sound stage is very clear with a tight bass, loud mids & highs.
16. Instrument cluster, with its colored LCD display, is such a pleasure to look at. Sporty yet elegant.
17. Automatic climate control is very efficient.
18. Black Leather padded interior panels with white thread stitching are high in quality and very plush.
19. Plastic panels feel very sturdy but not like what the Germans are used to.
20. Very well insulated cabin with just slight road noise ( 215/70 R16 Yokohama Geolander) audible at high speeds.
21. Keyless operation all around.
22. MID with host of information about the car.
23. Heated front seats, thought not very useful in India, are great to have. Will test them in peak winters.
24. Choice of two different types of sounds for the indicators. One is the usual ‘click’ and the other one is a beep like in the new Scorpio. Pretty cool.
25. Lane changing function for the indicators. Very useful.
26. Auto folding ORVM when car is locked and vice-versa.
27. Twin Airbags. ABS & EBD. Different sensors for anti-theft security.
28. Inclination sensor which senses a change in the cars inclination (when locked) which if more than 3 degrees will trigger the alarm.
29. Cornering lights are very practical.
30. One-touch electronically controlled folding operation for the rear seats. Very convenient.

The list is never ending so I’ll stop and focus on the negatives now. Will keep on updating the thread with more points.

(-) I would have liked –

1. Fuel efficiency is a bummer as of now. Will update as I crunch more miles.
2. Mitsubishi A.S.S has yet to prove itself. With the EVO X launched, I expect them to ‘up’ their game.
3. No lumbar support on any seat. Can become a tad inconvenient sometimes.
4. Rear seat under thigh support could have been better. Not an issue though.
5. No digital display for the automatic climate control settings.
6. The power window switches on the doors are NOT backlit. (WHY..?)
7. No hydraulic shocks for the hood to suspend on. Just the usual metal rod.
8. Boot door needs a fair bit of slamming to close.
9. Inside RVM is not automatically dimmed at night. It has the usual manual flip knob.
10. Rear parking sensors do not have any graphical display inside the cabin like in the Skodas. Instead, it’s just a beep sound.
11. I would have preferred 225 or 235 section tyres as opposed to the 215s that are standard. Not an issue. Planning to upgrade after 6 months or so anyways.

There could be more but I can’t think of any at the moment. Will keep on updating as the ownership period increases.

Conclusion –

It’s a beautiful car . Money well spent. So far I have only clocked 350 kms on this beauty. Real time Fuel economy figures will broadcast on this thread after the first service at 1000 kms or 1 month (whichever is earlier). Till now it shows 2.5 kmpl when I cold start it in the morning and reaches slowly to 14.5 kmpl once I touch the highway. It stays that way for 30 minutes of highway ride that I go through every day. In city it drops down to around 7-8 kmpl on an average every day with the A/C switched off but mind numbing traffic. It’s still in the run-in period therefore haven’t revved it up as of now so can’t really review the performance. Will update this thread with more info and another review after the first service is done. Till then enjoy the pictures. More pics coming soon..

Special thanks to fellow TBHPians AlokSriva and sknair for answering my questions before the purchase and helping me finalize the decision.

Any questions/comments are most welcome. I am a novice writer so please accept my limited writing skills.
Attached Thumbnails
My 2010 Mitsubishi Outlander – Vogue White & Aggressive-dsc_0406-large.jpg  

My 2010 Mitsubishi Outlander – Vogue White & Aggressive-dsc_0413-large.jpg  

My 2010 Mitsubishi Outlander – Vogue White & Aggressive-dsc_0415-large.jpg  

My 2010 Mitsubishi Outlander – Vogue White & Aggressive-dsc_0421-large.jpg  

My 2010 Mitsubishi Outlander – Vogue White & Aggressive-dsc_0423-large.jpg  

My 2010 Mitsubishi Outlander – Vogue White & Aggressive-dsc_0425-large.jpg  

My 2010 Mitsubishi Outlander – Vogue White & Aggressive-dsc_0433-large.jpg  

My 2010 Mitsubishi Outlander – Vogue White & Aggressive-dsc_0443-large.jpg  

My 2010 Mitsubishi Outlander – Vogue White & Aggressive-dsc_0467-large.jpg  

My 2010 Mitsubishi Outlander – Vogue White & Aggressive-dsc_0519-large.jpg  

My 2010 Mitsubishi Outlander – Vogue White & Aggressive-dsc_0560-large.jpg  

My 2010 Mitsubishi Outlander – Vogue White & Aggressive-dsc_0564-large.jpg  

My 2010 Mitsubishi Outlander – Vogue White & Aggressive-dsc_0575-large.jpg  

My 2010 Mitsubishi Outlander – Vogue White & Aggressive-tintiied.jpg  

Last edited by Technocrat : 9th December 2010 at 03:24. Reason: Only 2 smilies per pos allowed, please read the board rules carefully, thanks
carrazy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th December 2010, 20:26   #2
Senior - BHPian

Superb review carrazy. Congratulations on your new Outlander. It is one of my personal favourites and I have been seeing many Outlanders on the roads in recent. I think they are selling in good numbers.

The car looks superb in White. I just flipped for the sound quality of that RF audio system which comes standard. I just hope a diesel comes soon. That will boost sales for sure.

Enjoy your new car and do update this thread regularly with your ownership experience. Drive safe
Old 6th December 2010, 22:12   #3
BHPian

great car and great review, though do black out your car number on the photos. outlander is the most well rounded package at the best price today in the market, i had gone to check it out but being unsure of mitsubishi motors and no manual option i decided to give it a go. i think they need to get a manual option and a diesel engine and its golden.
Old 6th December 2010, 22:24   #4
Team-BHP Support

Sorry CR-V lovers, but this is what takes the cake.

If there was a diesel power-plant, it would do wonders to the sale.

Your Mitsu looks awesome mate
Old 6th December 2010, 22:33   #5
Senior - BHPian

Lovely review and congratulations on acquiring the Outlander.White looks simply majestic.Happy Motoring.
Old 6th December 2010, 22:44   #6
BHPian

Good choice and a good colour too, I just love white. I test drove the Outlander a couple of days back, and what an SUV it is, it's the most Car like SUV out there in that price bracket, the paddle shift's are soo much fun.
Old 6th December 2010, 23:04   #7
Senior - BHPian

Wow, a white Outlander. Congratulations Carrzy. Thats a long list of likes .

This is one car which is currently on the top of my wish list. Extremely comfortably, good to drive, and one of the best AWDs in business.

Although, I prefer the old front to the new one, but this again is very good. The jet fighter look reminds you of EVO every time you look at it.

Wish you miles of happiness.

Please find my replies in Bold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrazy View Post
Chevrolet Captiva: I am not a big fan of Chevys. No offence.

You have company!

Mitsubishi Outlander: A last minute entry. Saw an advertisement,

Glad to hear this. It has finally worked for HM to get Rohit Bal do some advertisement for the Outlander. Also, they have been displaying the car in malls across delhi. Moreover, they have a permanent slot in Prominent mall in south delhi. Only other cars on display, 3,5 and 7. Perfect!

Wish they advertised for other cars too.

Buying & Delivery Experience –

After I was done making up my mind about the purchase, I had a word with ASIAN Motors sales guy and found their offer to be a better deal.

Both service and sales people at Asian are fantastic.

Luckily they had four whites in their inventory. On 19th Nov. I along with all the completed paper work reached the showroom at sharp 10:00 am. After a couple of signatures here & there, I started with the exhaustive PDI. Everything mentioned in the T-BHP PDI list was done. I won’t go much in detail but all four cars were checked before I set my mind on the one I wanted. I found some or the other problem (physical scratches) in every car they had in stock. At one moment the Sales Manager (jokingly) told me to select the components I like in from the available cars and he will get them fixed on one of the cars.

That because, they earlier had a big body shop at the back of the showroom that catered to both Mitsubishi and Nissan. All the new vehicles were at that point in time parked in the body shop. Once Nissan dealership was closed, the returns from Mitsubishi were not sufficient. Hence, the body shop was shifted to Anant Parvat. And now they dont have enough space to park the new vehicles. At night they are parked in the service center but during day, they are parked across the street, where there's a hell lot of dirt. So, scratches are very nominal. Infact, that was the first thing I talked about to them, but their senior advisor said (about 10 cars were standing across the street) "Sir, the cost of land to store these vehicles is 10 times the cost of these vehicles, does not make sense to get space if there are no returns" Well, very logical.

2.4 litre petrol engine churns out 170PS of peak power at 6500 rpm which is delivered in a silky smooth way. Very peppy and rev happy. Hence, awesome.

A hell of an Engine. Truely up there with he best of them.

Mitsubishi A.S.S has yet to prove itself. With the EVO X launched, I expect them to ‘up’ their game.

My experience with the asian motors have been excellent. Everyone from the service advisors, to technicians to GM is every friends. Infact, its the only place, where you can stand next to your vehicle and get it serviced.

9. Inside RVM is not automatically dimmed at night. It has the usual manual flip knob.

I felt it very strange as well, if they can give that in Pajero, why not in Outy?

11. I would have preferred 225 or 235 section tyres as opposed to the 215s that are standard.

FE my dear, cannot afford to advertise any less than what already is.
One thing. Did you get the extended warranty. You shouldnt need it though, but its still good to have it incase.. Though, you can buy ot anytime before they current, 2 yr warranty expires. They are working on some AMC plan as well, should come soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
I just hope a diesel comes soon. That will boost sales for sure.
When I asked this to their manager, he said, no plans, but pajero sport is on its way, you can buy that.. and I was like...well, never mind.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 6th December 2010 at 23:10.
Old 7th December 2010, 00:14   #8
BHPian

Congratulations on your new Outlander.Amazing ride. Have always loved the "jet fighter" look. Super duper hot in white.Coming for a ride soon bro. Now both you brothers have cars with looks to die for.The Chevy and the Mitsu.
Old 7th December 2010, 08:39   #9
Senior - BHPian

Its a stunning softroader. I guess if they had priced it around 16-17lac, it would have sold more. How much did it cost you?

And guess the car needs to warm up a bit before it can start giving you better mileage.

Enjoy!
Old 7th December 2010, 08:55   #10
BHPian

Fantabulous review carrazy and yes, the cars looks mind blowing in white. The 2nd & 4th pictures might push 'someone' to go for this beauty. The 6-speed CVT auto tranny with those gorgeous paddles, will make driving a pleasure and not to mention the audio system
No auto-dimming mirror on a 20+ lac SUV? Thats a bit cheapo mindset of Mitsu and as gaurav said, the Jet-Fighter grille do remains me of an Evo.
What is the 'INFO' button is for and more interior pics
Do update this thread regularly and congrats once again. I envy you!
Old 7th December 2010, 09:29   #11
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations @carrazy. The car is stunning. Nice photography as well. Drive safe.
Old 7th December 2010, 10:22   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Wonderfully penned down review there. Fantastic looking car as well. I had seen this in a mall in Bangalore. Damn loved the Evo front and the LED taillights.

Enjoy many more happy miles with the car.
Old 8th December 2010, 23:56   #13
BHPian

Re: My 2010 Mitsubishi Outlander – Vogue White & Aggressive

Great review and congrats bro.
Btw can you message me how much discount you got as I am also looking at purchasing this car.
Also what is the FE you are getting?
Thanks
Old 9th December 2010, 00:58   #14
BHPian

Congratulations for great buying decision. Mitsubishi Outlander is the best available softroader available in India currently and it is no doubt a stunner when it comes to the front looks.
Old 9th December 2010, 14:07   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support

A+ review & pictures. Congrats on the Outlander, Carrazy! If this Mitsubishi had a diesel, it would enjoy atleast 3X the sales it does today. Amazing road manners & overall quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrazy View Post
After a couple of signatures here & there, I started with the exhaustive PDI. Everything mentioned in the T-BHP PDI list was done.

Quote:
I would have preferred 225 or 235 section tyres as opposed to the 215s that are standard. Not an issue. Planning to upgrade after 6 months or so anyways.
I suggest upgrading now, you'll get the best exchange price.

Most Viewed