Team-BHP - 'The Search' ends here - ZEN it is !!!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/)
-   -   'The Search' ends here - ZEN it is !!! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/93287-search-ends-here-zen.html)

Well guys, let me warn you first that this is going to be a long post, since the Search was also looong.

It's been almost 3 months since we decided to buy a second car for the family.

Reasons:
- My wife was complaining of back-pain from riding the Activa to work everyday.
- I had to drop and pick-up my son, which compromised my office timings.
- Palio MJD was too tough for her to handle (Off the records, it's me who was too tough for her to handle lol:- I could never sit silently when she drives the Palio)

Hence came the decision to go for another one.
Since I already have all types of possible loans and EMIs, :Frustrati
it has to be Pre-owned car.

Phase 1:
Our initial budget was 75k. And all I could think of in that range was MATIZ.
Though many members advised against Matiz, we really liked the looks and the space.
Checked out 3 or 4 Matiz's. All of them turned out to be dealers acting as 'owners'. Hence quotes were way beyond market rates.
And none of them were in good condition.

Time to re-look at the budget and options.

Phase 2:
Increased my budget to 1.25 lakhs by arranging finance thro personal resources.
Now we had three options: Zen, Santro and Alto.
Started spending my weekends on FreeAds and weekdays on online classifieds.

Santro went out of the list pretty soon. As most of the Santro's in used car market had run a lot and changed many hands.
Between the other two, Zen always had the upper hand, since her brother had one long back. And the whole family likes Zen.
Zen was growing in my mind with everday and every search. Started focussing only on Zen.

..... To be continued.
(MODS: Just to prevent this post from looking like an essay, I propose to continue in the next post. Please merge if it's unacceptable).

Phase 3:
Hunting for a Zen for 1.5 months taught me one thing:
'There is a MAD RUSH for Zen's in Bangalore'.
I realise that I have to increase my budget again, and I did. Now it's 2 lakhs.

One more thing I learned is 'once you inspect a car and like it, MOVE FAST'. It's listed in our 'how to buy used car' thread also, but bcos of my laziness and complacency, I lost many good deals.

I would like share only one experience with you all, just to highlight the demand.
Came across a 99 model Zen, LX version, single owner, 20000kms quoted at 1.15 lakhs. Inspected the car, found it in excellent condition, mileage was genuine.
Took out the cheque and started writing the same price he quoted.
The owner stops me and says "give me two more days and I will confirm the deal".
Me: "Sir, I am writing the same amount you quoted".
Owner: "But still.. I need two more days to think"
Me: ??
Two days later, when I call him he says he sold it for 1.25 lakhs. :Shockked:

Phase 4: The saviour - Maruti True Value:
One fine day, I realised I am spending too much time and efforts on this search (infact, I was enjoying this).
But my wife had had enough and there we knock the doors of 'TrueValue'. Atleast we will have some peace-of-mind and less hassles of searching, checking, RTO troubles, etc.

And the demand for Zen plays spoilsport here also. When you see a Zen posted in TrueValue website and call the dealer, it's already sold-off.
It seems the Zen's get booked within a day or two of arriving the dealer - even before they carry-out the checks & repars and advertise in their website.

So, every evening, I kept calling all TrueValue dealers in the city to check for arrival of a Zen. Last Monday, one of the dealers tells me of the arrival
of a Zen. Went there on Tuesday, saw the car and paid the booking amount immediately.

Car inspection Report:
It had just arrived the previous day and was in the storeyard. The Sales Exceutive responded well, brought the car out for test-drive.
Sorry for not posting PIC's. I promise some today when I take delivery.
The Car was in excellent condition, only a scratch in bumper, engine was smooth and peppy, AC worked very well, Gearbox was also very smooth, had a cassette player and 4 speakers. Two previous owners.
Only glitch was the mileage of 80000kms. But the car was in far better state for that mieage.
The SE quoted 1.9 lakhs, I started with 1.6L. And we settled for 1.75lakhs.

Am taking the delivery this evening. I will post more details and PICs ASAP.

Congrats! As you have already bought it, there is no room for suggestions :)
which year model
Inspect it thoroughly. fyi, True value generally offers 1 year warranty and 2 free service.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ch.nathan (Post 2166109)
The SE quoted 1.9 lakhs, I started with 1.6L. And we settled for 1.75lakhs

That was an interesting read. What is the year of make? I feel that you are paying a hefty premium for a car that has clocked almost half the mileage of its trouble free life.

From the little info whatever you have given, since the car has changed hands twice, I presume it must be a 8~10 year old car.

If you can still reverse your transaction, I strongly suggest that you take a look at Team Bhp's classifieds. There are pretty good cars with a realistic price tag.

Congrats. The Zen is a good car. No wonder it sells so well in the used car market.

Congrats!

Zen surely costs a bomb. Be aware thay it is not as good for back pain as the tall boy cars like Santro and WagonR.

Even my 2004 WR commands only 1.6 L. Genuine 1st owner 56k kms. :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warwithwheels (Post 2166200)
That was an interesting read. What is the year of make? I feel that you are paying a hefty premium for a car that has clocked almost half the mileage of its trouble free life.

From the little info whatever you have given, since the car has changed hands twice, I presume it must be a 8~10 year old car.

If you can still reverse your transaction, I strongly suggest that you take a look at Team Bhp's classifieds. There are pretty good cars with a realistic price tag.

It's 2003 make, BS-2 version.

Even CarWale's quote is 1.56L.
Considering the demand for Zen, all repairs done by Maruti, 6-month warranty and 3 free services, I feel it's a fair deal.
(Consoling myself :))

Congratulations!
You have finally got one you like!

Is it the same one you mentioned in the Used Car Thread?

Congrats for the Car !

By the way, I never knew that you can do bargain at Big sellers like True Value also !

I thought these big shops/ showrooms are fixed price shops :)

Team BHP does not allow booking, buying process discussions.

It seems like you have already purchased a Zen, closing this thread temporarily and when your ready to start a ownership report, please report this post and we will re-open and move this thread to the correction section ( Intial Ownership Thread) !!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ch.nathan (Post 2166283)
It's 2003 make, BS-2 version.

Even CarWale's quote is 1.56L.
Considering the demand for Zen, all repairs done by Maruti, 6-month warranty and 3 free services, I feel it's a fair deal.
(Consoling myself :))

Never expected such a mad rush for the used zen. It is natural that you pay a premium for the used cars in true value. Do never bother because you have got a peace of mind which is worthless.

Enjoy your drive and do post some pics.

One thing that i don't like with the true value people is that they never update their website.There is absolutely no point in checking their website.All the cars are way long back sold out.

Posting some of the PICs:

Zen indeed is an excellent buy. Heartiest congratulations !! clap:

The only thing u will not like about this car is the AC aka the "Nitro Booster" button lol:

Congratulations on your Zen. I was about to sell my Zen as well. The price you have paid has just given me the confidence to sell mine at the price that I am quoting. When I was looking out to bu a Zen last year I had the same kind of feedback from the True Value. As soon as it comes on the website it will be sold. And the old shape Zen has more value than the Estilo and the post 2003 model. Dealers often told me that the old shape Zen is a rare vehicle and it is very difficult to get a good Zen as people won't sell those in good condition.

Ch Nathan Your Zen looks cute and original. Barring the odolog else all appears fine. The plus point missing in your posts is that it is a LXi, with PS and rear wash wipe. So the price is OK. The 1999 one also would have been better, but for the owner.