Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2011, 19:49   #121
BHPian

Re: The Abominable (Skoda) Yeti - Crossed 16000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Did you scrape your tyre on a curbing by any chance? Tubeless tyres are very sensitive to scrapes on sidewalls. Goodyear or any tyre manufacturer for that matter are generally very reluctant to accept any manufacturing defect esp after 16000 kms of running.
No, I haven't curbed the tyre. I am a pretty careful driver. Had I scraped the tire on curb, I would have known it.

I do understand that any tyre manufacturer would be rather reluctant to accept it as their fault after 16,000 km. Nevertheless it gives me a good chance to test the waters for Skoda service and their support.

So far it has been quite good. Skoda Aurangabad got back to me within 24 hours of logging the issue on their web-based support form. Mr Srinivas from Skoda Aurangabad contacted me. After I explained the situation to him, he said that they would pass the issue to their Pune dealer who in turn will get in touch with me. Asset Auto got in touch with me the same afternoon. They raised the issue with Goodyear, who in sms'ed the date for tomorrow. The lady from asset auto has promised to call back with exact time and location.

In fact when Asset Auto called me last evening, they said that they'll try and impress upon the manufacturer to provide a replacement for "goodwill". I am curious how this works. After so much adverse publicity regarding their A.S.S. I am just chronicling my interactions with Skoda, its dealers and suppliers.

Now the question is, should I replace just one tyre or would it more advisable to replace both rear tires?
Old 28th July 2011, 21:30   #122
BHPian

re: The Abominable (Skoda) Yeti *UPDATE* 20,000Kms Update on Pg.14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Hi Sushil,
Even in my Yeti, I have noticed sidewalls damage in the Goodyear tyres.. Though it is not as bad as yours, the tyres certainly seem to have very weak sidewalls. My front right tyre had developed a cut around 3 cm long, but without air leakage. I repaired the tyre with some Feviquick, but I am now terribly conscious about the tyres and am also actively looking at changing them with good AT tyres. I am also able to find the 215/65 R16 size everywhere. I sent a mail to Skoda on whether this size will be ok, but so far haven't got any response. I feel that we need to push Skoda to offer AT tyres in the correct size directly.
I couldn't agree with you more. I find it strange that A/T tires are not available in the specified size.

If they are available with Indian tire manufacturers Skoda should either supply these (without charging ridiculous premium), or clearly authorize the 215/65 R16 A/T.
Old 28th July 2011, 21:45   #123
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SushilBajpai View Post
I couldn't agree with you more. I find it strange that A/T tires are not available in the specified size.

If they are available with Indian tire manufacturers Skoda should either supply these (without charging ridiculous premium), or clearly authorize the 215/65 R16 A/T.
Maybe because we do not have any other compact 4x4s in our market. Did you check the graymarket dealers?
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2011, 11:38   #124
BHPian

Quote:

May be this site could help in your decision making : Tyre Size Calculator - Changing Tyres - Etyres

Wonder if the tire damage was caused by under inflation following an undetected puncture. Punctures in tubeless tires are hard to detect at times.

Last edited by rajcs : 29th July 2011 at 11:38. Reason: spelling
rajcs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2011, 12:05   #125
Senior - BHPian

Hi Sushil,
Though this is my first post on your thread - I must state that this thread was one which I was constantly reading earlier and it almost helped me make up my mind to go in for the Yeti in Jan this year. Especially your first post with all the snaps and the description of its 'go anywhere' capability.

Thank you indeed for the great thread and the regular updates.

I was of course held gulity - of having finally selected the TFort !

Going by the snaps of your tyre and a previous 'tyred' experience of mine - I think the 'triangularish' cut is because of the tyre having scraped a jagged stone/ rock in one of your drives.

Wishing you a great time with the Yeti !
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2011, 19:42   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajcs View Post
May be this site could help in your decision making : Tyre Size Calculator - Changing Tyres - Etyres

Wonder if the tire damage was caused by under inflation following an undetected puncture. Punctures in tubeless tires are hard to detect at times.
Thanks for the tyre size calculator link. It shows a difference of 3.25% in the diameter, while the recommended maximum is 2.5%.

I have not had a puncture so far. In spite of the side-wall damage the tyre is not leaking any air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Hi Sushil,
Though this is my first post on your thread - I must state that this thread was one which I was constantly reading earlier and it almost helped me make up my mind to go in for the Yeti in Jan this year. Especially your first post with all the snaps and the description of its 'go anywhere' capability.

Thank you indeed for the great thread and the regular updates.

I was of course held gulity - of having finally selected the TFort !

Going by the snaps of your tyre and a previous 'tyred' experience of mine - I think the 'triangularish' cut is because of the tyre having scraped a jagged stone/ rock in one of your drives.

Wishing you a great time with the Yeti !
Hi Guderian,

Thanks for your kind words. The Yeti has proven to be great vehicle so far. I have no idea where I might have scraped the tyre.

However, I now have another problem.

The stock Skoda Yeti Goodyear excellence are also in short supply - at least in Pune. I checked with several dealers but the Goodyear tyre is not available and they (including the gentleman from Goodyear) have no idea when they will be available. So the Yeti is grounded for some time.

If anyone finds set of 215-60-R16 95 H all terrain tires please do post in this thread.

Behemoth and couple of others - including me of course - are looking for these. Behemoth wants to do a Leh trip, and I now think it is vital that he fits A/T tires on his Yeti before embarking on the journey.

@ Promod: You are the master of Yeti Mods in these forums. Any idea how to resolve this issue?
Old 30th July 2011, 10:36   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If anyone finds set of 215-60-R16 95 H all terrain tires please do post in this thread.
215/60/16 being an odd size for SUVs in our country you will be hard pressed to find AT tyres of that size. Bridgestone lists Turanza GR60 Touring tires in 215/60/16 and Michelin has Primacy LC in the same size. But I fear Primacy LC may be too soft for the terrain that the Yeti is capable of and could be prone to sidewall damage.

Have you considered importing AT tires from Malaysia or Thailand through some import agents?
Old 30th July 2011, 10:46   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The stock Skoda Yeti Goodyear excellence are also in short supply - at least in Pune. I checked with several dealers but the Goodyear tyre is not available and they (including the gentleman from Goodyear) have no idea when they will be available. So the Yeti is grounded for some time.

Hi Sushil,
Are you only looking at Goodyears or are you open to another brand ? Can check with my friends at Yokohama for the same size and they'll help you out directly.
Please let me know - PM me your contact no & we can chat up.

Last edited by Guderian : 30th July 2011 at 10:50.
Old 30th July 2011, 12:58   #129
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Frankly since you are open to changing, get rid of the Goodyears. From whatever I have experienced and heard, they are crap.

Call one of these Bombay tyre dealers, they definitely will be able to source tyres for you and send them to Pune.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/mumbai...ad-mumbai.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/mumbai...uz-mumbai.html
Akshay1234 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2011, 14:08   #130
Senior - BHPian

Why dont you guys look at Yokohama Geolander H/T tyres, pretty good tyres having good balance between dry and wet traction and can handle some off roading as well. There is also Geolander A/T tyres available.
Stock Goodyear tyres are meant for passaenger cars, however since the Yeti has a kerb weight more like saloon cars unlike typical SUVs or crossover, Skoda has opted to offer them.

Last edited by Invinsible : 30th July 2011 at 14:13.
Invinsible is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2011, 17:12   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

After my experience with the Goodyears, I am also inclined to change them for proper AT tyres as soon as possible.
Guderian, it will be a great help if you could check with your friends at Yokohama. The local dealer told me that do have tyres in this size, but are not currently importing them due to no requirements in India yet. If they could start importing the ATS tyres in the Yeti size, it will be the perfect solution for us. Thanks!
Old 31st July 2011, 01:00   #132
VBN
BHPian

Definitely some issue with the tyres. I have had 2 punctures so far on the yeti goodyears, whereas, my previous corolla tyres started giving punctures only after 3 years.
Old 31st July 2011, 09:05   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
Why dont you guys look at Yokohama Geolander H/T tyres, pretty good tyres having good balance between dry and wet traction and can handle some off roading as well. There is also Geolander A/T tyres available.
Stock Goodyear tyres are meant for passaenger cars, however since the Yeti has a kerb weight more like saloon cars unlike typical SUVs or crossover, Skoda has opted to offer them.
Thanks Invinsible. I'm looking out for Yoko Geolander H/T (as A/T is not available in the size recommended for Yeti). However, in context of the damage to side wall, which is the cause of concern, would Yokohama H/T fare any better?

Quote:
After my experience with the Goodyears, I am also inclined to change them for proper AT tyres as soon as possible.
Guderian, it will be a great help if you could check with your friends at Yokohama. The local dealer told me that do have tyres in this size, but are not currently importing them due to no requirements in India yet. If they could start importing the ATS tyres in the Yeti size, it will be the perfect solution for us. Thanks!
Behemoth, you sure need a set of A/T tires - for peace of mind and more - for your Leh adventure. Sure, I do hope they begin the import - but it does not seem to be happening in a hurry.

Akshay1234 has posted a couple of links for shops in Bombay which keep tires in all sizes. Just check if they carry appropriate A/Ts, and if they'll ship to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBN View Post
Definitely some issue with the tyres. I have had 2 punctures so far on the yeti goodyears, whereas, my previous corolla tyres started giving punctures only after 3 years.
Fortunately I have been lucky vis-a-vis punctures - none in 17000 km, and unlucky regarding side-wall damage. I wouldn't write-off Goodyear tires just so. They have been a trusty companion on my escapades. Though I am careful - and who isn't - I have taken the Yeti on some pretty tough roads.

After 17,000 km the tread wear is about 30 - 40%. But for the cut in sidewall they would have travelled over 40,000 km.

The annoying part is that Goodyear Excellence is also currently NOT available (and the spare tyre is non-standard so can't replace the main tyre), forcing me into a decision to replace all four tires, while I could have done with one. Skoda dealers simply expressed their inability to help, saying that this is a local replacement.

Last edited by SushilBajpai : 31st July 2011 at 09:08.
Old 31st July 2011, 13:07   #134
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Akshay1234 has posted a couple of links for shops in Bombay which keep tires in all sizes. Just check if they carry appropriate A/Ts, and if they'll ship to you.
Did those dealers have tyres in your size? I don't have personal experience with Saifee, but Kenny from Pal is a helpful chap.
Old 31st July 2011, 20:13   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guderian, it will be a great help if you could check with your friends at Yokohama. Thanks!
Hi Behemoth,
Checked etc and chatted up with Sushil as well. Yoko doesn't have this tyre size in India in the A/T range.
Checking tomorrow about the same size in other ranges (H/T) of Yoko and its ready availability. Will report back.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks