Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2010, 15:29   #31
BHPian

re: Stop at nothing. Not even gears. The 1st A-Star AT ownership on Team-BHP

A reviewer on a Malayalam channel said that the shift lock is for preventing accidental shifting of the lever, especially say when you have kids fiddling them by mistake. I don't know how much truth is in that.

I suppose the A-star auto also has hill hold back like the i10 auto. The reviewer said about i10 auto having it, but didn't hear him mention it for A-star auto.

The mileage figures he quoted for i10 were laughable. He said 14 in city and 16 on highways. This is for the older one and not the VTVT one. He sounded like a Hyundai spokesman. So much for objective reviews.

Pradeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
By "unlock" what do you mean ?
As I understood it, "By design, the lever will not shift through the gates when the engine is switched off. The Shift Lock is for emergencies. One can hold shift-lock button down and move the lever through the gates if ever required."

I can see your point about say moving from D to R, while car is in motion. But is it a no-no to even move from D to D3 OR say D3 to 2 ? IIRC, the manual seems to suggest this is OK.

I have never used parking brake on any cars - due to fear of forgetting to release brake before driving off. But I guess I need to change my habit and also encourage wifey/FIL to use this as the parking-brake has more relevance for an AT - while parked and also at short stops when we are in N.

Last edited by pradkumar : 17th December 2010 at 15:37.
Old 17th December 2010, 16:28   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar
How do you manage very slow speeds in the automatic, i.e where the normal movement of the car without pressing the accelerator is too fast? Do you hold the brakes to slow it down?
Yes, use the brake to regulate the speed - no more painful half-clutching and stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradkumar
A reviewer on a Malayalam channel said that the shift lock is for preventing accidental shifting of the lever, especially say when you have kids fiddling them by mistake. I don't know how much truth is in that.
I also thought it would be that. I guess it is the name of the button "shift lock' that creates this picture - ie. lock the gear shift. So, I did try pressing the button when in D to "lock it in place". But nothing happened.

Finally figured it out by accident - I had parked the car in the garage, but the rear was not fully in. I did not want to crank the engine just to move the car a few inches forward, so tried to do what I do normally on the Baleno - move to Neutral and push the car. But I could not shift from P, since engine was off. Just tried depressing the "shift-lock" button and then was able to shift to other gears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradkumar
I suppose the A-star auto also has hill hold back like the i10 auto. The reviewer said about i10 auto having it, but didn't hear him mention it for A-star auto.
What is hill hold-back ? How is this engaged in the i10-AT. I don't remember reading about this in the manual.
Old 17th December 2010, 16:53   #33
Team-BHP Support

On an uphill slope, if the car has hill hold feature, the car wont roll back. The corolla AT does not have this feature.

I'm surprised the i10 does.
Old 17th December 2010, 17:01   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
On an uphill slope, if the car has hill hold feature, the car wont roll back. The corolla AT does not have this feature.

Hill hold is a standard feature of all AT cars. Hyundai just publishes it while Toyota finds it too trivial to publish.
Old 17th December 2010, 19:16   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
Hill hold is a standard feature of all AT cars. Hyundai just publishes it while Toyota finds it too trivial to publish.
Hmmm, Actually I'm not talking about publishing it. I've driven the car and it doesn't hold steady on a hill, it begins to roll back.
Old 17th December 2010, 20:15   #36
BHPian

Congrats SupremeBaleno

@supremebaleno - congrats on buying A- star AT.The colour looks rocking on the car.I felt that steering is touch too heavy for liking.

Your car comes with seat height adjusters which I think is boon for short drivers and sometimes helps to remove blind spots as passenger seat is lower as compared to driver's side(this is from experience)

Regarding the mud flaps - they are not MGA mudflaps and are from bygone era. The MGA mudflaps are made up plastic and do not roll and hit the Tyres.
The MGA mudflaps-See the picture below with arrow mark.
Stop at nothing. Not even gears. The 1st A-Star AT ownership on Team-BHP-54687quotthelittlegiantquotswiftimage0250.jpg

Lastly, I wish you , Your Family and Team Bhp members a Merry Christmas
Old 17th December 2010, 20:34   #37
Senior - BHPian

Re: Congrats SupremeBaleno

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639
I've driven the car and it doesn't hold steady on a hill, it begins to roll back.
How much was the incline, vid6639 ? I need to try this on the A*-AT when I am home for X'mas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozeninTime
congrats on buying A- star AT.The colour looks rocking on the car.I felt that steering is touch too heavy for liking.
Thanks. Good to know some people appreciate the color. Wifey has still not gotten over the disappointment of not getting a black or white A-Star. I found the steering lighter than our Swift - not sure if the over-inflated tyres with 50psi in them had anything to with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozeninTime
Regarding the mud flaps - they are not MGA mudflaps and are from bygone era. The MGA mudflaps are made up plastic and do not roll and hit the Tyres. Lastly, I wish you , Your Family and Team Bhp members a Merry Christmas
Yeah, the mud-flaps are crap. Need to change to MGA. And thanks for the wishes. Wish you and family a Merry Christmas and a Great New Year.
Old 17th December 2010, 21:49   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I think that is completely fine, infact I usually do that in my Accord when I want to downshift and drive it like a manual (No paddle shift or tiptronic, so what choice besides moving the gear level down to 1). Of course I make sure the speed isnt too high for a lower gear.
It's ok to shift to 2/L of the car is on sufficiently low speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post
I have a dumb question: In an manual car when 1st gear is still too fast, like traffic that is inching forward, or getting out of a parking lot etc, we use the half clutch. How do you manage very slow speeds in the automatic, i.e where the normal movement of the car without pressing the accelerator is too fast? Do you hold the brakes to slow it down?

Oh, BTW, congrats on a nice handling, spunky little car! Please do update with your mileage from time to time.
Just use the brakes!

Quote:
Yes, use the brake to regulate the speed - no more painful half-clutching and stuff.

I also thought it would be that. I guess it is the name of the button "shift lock' that creates this picture - ie. lock the gear shift. So, I did try pressing the button when in D to "lock it in place". But nothing happened.

Finally figured it out by accident - I had parked the car in the garage, but the rear was not fully in. I did not want to crank the engine just to move the car a few inches forward, so tried to do what I do normally on the Baleno - move to Neutral and push the car. But I could not shift from P, since engine was off. Just tried depressing the "shift-lock" button and then was able to shift to other gears.

What is hill hold-back ? How is this engaged in the i10-AT. I don't remember reading about this in the manual.
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
Quote:
Hmmm, Actually I'm not talking about publishing it. I've driven the car and it doesn't hold steady on a hill, it begins to roll back.
i10 does not have hill hold function. Don't think Astar has it either.
Its the AT creep at lower angles that keeps the car from rolling back.

Last edited by blackasta : 17th December 2010 at 21:55.
Old 17th December 2010, 22:17   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
i10 does not have hill hold function. Don't think Astar has it either.
Its the AT creep at lower angles that keeps the car from rolling back.
That's what I thought, the creep will result in the car going neither forward or reverse on a slight incline.

I don't think any car actually has that apart from Passat and above.
Old 17th December 2010, 22:29   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Do not try to move between any gear other than D<->N when the car is moving. It can result in huge transmission damage.

When we are in P - no brakes are applied. Only the output shaft is mechanically locked. The parking pawl (a pin of sorts) prevents the transmission from rotating and the car does not move. If you hoist the rear wheels of the Astar on the jack while on P - they shall rotate freely.
While parking on an incline of any sorts, always engage the handbreak - this reduces the pressure from the parking pawl and helps in transmission longevity.

No disrespect intended - you are wrong.
The shift lock insert wherein you can insert a key and shift the gear lever if the battery dies or if you cant start the engine is what I am talking about. What is wrong in this? I have done this to move a friend's corolla.

Last edited by srishiva : 17th December 2010 at 22:31.
Old 17th December 2010, 22:40   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
The shift lock insert wherein you can insert a key and shift the gear lever if the battery dies or if you cant start the engine is what I am talking about. What is wrong in this? I have done this to move a friend's corolla.
We are talking about the shift lock button here which is on the shift stick!
Now I understand what you are talking about is a notch on the shift console.
Old 18th December 2010, 13:13   #42
BHPian

I could not figure out what you people are speaking about? In ANHC if we need to move the lever when the engine if in off we can insert the key to a separate hole next to the gear lever which releases the lock and we are free to move the lever moreover my car doesnot move even a bit if i place the lever in P which is for parking then why do we need an seperate hill hold feature? plus if you are not sure you can always use the hand brake
Old 19th December 2010, 19:34   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyaprakash
I could not figure out what you people are speaking about? In ANHC if we need to move the lever when the engine if in off we can insert the key to a separate hole next to the gear lever which releases the lock and we are free to move the lever
The same function is done by pressing down the shift-lock button in the A-Star. See the button pointed to by the brown-arrow near the shift-stick in the pic below.
Stop at nothing. Not even gears. The 1st A-Star AT ownership on Team-BHP-shiftlock.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyaprakash
moreover my car doesnot move even a bit if i place the lever in P which is for parking then why do we need an seperate hill hold feature? plus if you are not sure you can always use the hand brake
Hill-assist is not when car is parked. Assume you are driving up an incline and at the top there is a traffic signal, with couple cars waiting. You stop behind them and other cars join the line behind you. Now when the light turns green, you would not want your car to rollback and hit the car behind. This is where hill-assist comes in. For minor inclines, the "AT-creep" ensures you don't rollback. But for serious inclines, hill-assist would help avoid the car rolling back. I got this info by googling "hill-lock".

I doubt the A-Star has it - don't remember reading in the manual. Just that on small inclines the "AT-creep" avoids rolling back, like it would do for the i10_AT and other AT cars without "hill-assist".

Other AT-queries (hope they are not too ):

1) While on the subject of AT-creep, why do AT cars have this creep at all ? In AT cars, in D or R, the car moves forward/backward without accelerator input aka AT-creep. Why is it like this ? Instead, why not require pressing the accelerator to move, like it is in auto-gear 2-wheelers ? Also, if the creep was not there, there would be no need for the N slot - 1 slot less.

2) Also, could the order of the gears in AT cars be done better than it is now ? For eg, in our car it is P -> R -> N -> D -> D3 -> 2 -> L

So I start the car in P and then need to slot to D. But for this I have to go via R and the moment you slot in R, you can feel the Reverse gear engaging + if you dont have the brake depressed, the car can move backwards due to the AT-creep. Same goes when I am parking the car and while moving from D to P, I again have to go via R, even if I have no intention to reverse.

Instead, could not the gear order be like R -> P -> N -> D ->D3 ->2 -> L ?
This would also ensure that Reverse is never slotted unintentionally and is used only when we want to reverse.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 19th December 2010 at 19:50.
Old 19th December 2010, 20:30   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

So I start the car in P and then need to slot to D. But for this I have to go via R and the moment you slot in R, you can feel the Reverse gear engaging + if you dont have the brake depressed, the car can move backwards due to the AT-creep. Same goes when I am parking the car and while moving from D to P, I again have to go via R, even if I have no intention to reverse.

Instead, could not the gear order be like R -> P -> N -> D ->D3 ->2 -> L ?
This would also ensure that Reverse is never slotted unintentionally and is used only when we want to reverse.
The creep is because of the torque converter. Im not too technically sound on the topic, but if you google it youll get your answers.

Also to move out of P you need the brake pressed. So unless you leave the brake in R it wont go back on its own.
Old 19th December 2010, 21:16   #45
Senior - BHPian

AT creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234
The creep is because of the torque converter. Im not too technically sound on the topic, but if you google it youll get your answers.
I was just being lazy and thought it would be easier if someone posted the tech on AT-creep instead of having to surf various pages and still be clueless.

Anyway I did a bit of googling and looks like I am not alone - there are many out there who hate this creep. There was one guy who mentions that the early AT cars did not have creep and given the accidents (some even fatal) that creep causes, it is surprising that manufacturers have not come out with a solution to this. Hmm.

The good side of the AT-creep is that at small inclines you dont have to worry about the car rolling backwards.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks