Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2012, 20:03   #316
BHPian

re: Skoda Yeti@ India (An ownership review) EDIT: Now sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailtosid View Post
Hi Demonhead,

how was ur overall experience at TAFE? u think TAFE has improved on its customer experience now?

Cheers,
Sid
In summary - quite bad. My experience with both dealers was quite bad in terms of responsiveness.. I have a long list of poor experience points.. Only once i paid my booking fee to TAFE did they suddenly start being very responsive! I didnt have a great experience and only went with them on a cheaper qoute. Dont expect much put just focus on price negotiation is all and select a dealer accordingly and do a complete and thourough PDI. Else please talk to Shankar, who seems to have a good experience with Vinayak, for guidance.
Old 24th January 2012, 21:25   #317
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

32 PSI is good for the Yeti.

I just did a BLR-CHN-BLR trip last week (around 810kms) and my vehicle is hitting the 2800 kms run mark now. No problems on that trip - on the contrary, the drive was so enjoyable that I didnt want it to end!

This clutch problem of yours could be a faulty clutch feeder line. Maybe the rubber leads might be weak or something similar. Check this aspect. Thankfully I havent seen any such issues on my beast.

Dont ride the clutch demonhead, whatever you do - especially in traffic. Just plug the beast into neutral and take your foot off the clutch in case the wait in traffic is going to be long and you cant move anyway.

To avoid the stalling problem, keep the vehicle constantly at 1000Rpm and it wont stall. Even if one is chugging along in stop start traffic, it can peacefully go along in 1st or 2nd depending on the space between you and the chap in front of you. But the moment you are going to fall below 1000rpm is the time to shove it in neutral and wait.

Going over speed breakers and suchlike, ideally shift down to a lower gear and take the bump slowly while maintaining 1000rpm and you wont stall. Suppose the speed breaker comes suddenly, then cut to 2nd, take the breaker without bringing the revs down and there will be no stalling.

This clutch trouble of yours worries me though. Better get it checked before you go out of town. The last thing you want is your gears to seize up on account of fluid leakage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonhead View Post
Thanks all - I am going to stick to 32 psi all round too.

New problem, need help! - 2500kms done and yesterday onwards i noticed a slight play in the clutch :( There is 1/4th of the clutch freely depressing now and i noticed a small amount of oil leakage under the left front wheel.. I will go to TAFE tmrw for a check however im wondering if this is what i had dreaded initially - my getz petrol half clutch driving transition to Yeti causing issues.. I am all the more worried as the entire family is looking forward to a drive to chennai the day after and im not sure whether i can drive around with this worry now.. Any thoughts on why and what this issue could be and whether it needs significant work to negate chennai trip on thu?

Thank you once again for your time..
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2012, 14:27   #318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
32 PSI is good for the Yeti.
Hi Shankar - thanks once again for your time and your note. Im just back from a visit to TAFE and the technician there said this is a hydraulic clutch and there is no issue.. Asked me to check out another yeti to reaffirm my doubt.. But that was a 4x2.. He even checked for fluid leakage etc and said absolutely no problem.. Somehow i still have a nagging feeling that there is a slight difference from a couple of days ago with a slight play when i depress the clutch.. Anyway took his word for it.. I rationalised maybe my driving style has caused it and it should be alright soon etc.. Credit to him he spent some time explaining the best way to use the clutch and made me demo it with him sitting with me.. I realised the value of just using the clutch (without using the accelerator) to move from standstill and even while backing up.. I remember reading this advise on somebody elses post here and not keenly following it.. I found it to be such a revelation and slowly got comfortable with it.. The car just seems so much simpler, easier and pleasurable to drive like this with no jerks or nervousness moving from standstill or reversing or in stalling etc.. My typical driving style was to put the car in 1st and as the clutch was halfway start on the gas pedal.. Im not vastly experienced in driving neither am i a technical geek - just have done 100,000 kms in the last 4yrs driving my getz in one particular style, as described above, and feeling terrible that i carried that driving style over to 2500kms of the yeti.. Not sure if i've done some long term damage etc.. If only someone told me this piece of advise when the car was handed over to me or i'd paid enough attention to the detailed posts on this site..:(
Demonhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2012, 10:19   #319
BHPian

First "serious" problem on my Yeti, I see oil near turbo and its dripping on the underside plate! I inquired about this and the first reply was its "normal" turbo always leak some oil and the nearby area are damped with these oil, I am not convinced I want them to look at it thoroughly and fix any issue there, car is going to service center on Monday for a complete check of leak and fix, what I heard is there might be some seal that is leaking and a need new "O" ring, finger crossed on this oil leak, suggest other to look at the bottom area of turbo and near by, the other area of the engine bay is completely clean and no oil, its just dripping from turbo and down under, you don't notice them unless you somehow look that deep in the engine bay.

-Pramod

Last edited by pramods : 27th January 2012 at 10:20.
pramods is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2012, 10:31   #320
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramods View Post
First "serious" problem on my Yeti, I see oil near turbo and its dripping on the underside plate! I inquired about this and the first reply was its "normal" turbo always leak some oil and the nearby area are damped with these oil, I am not convinced I want them to look at it thoroughly and fix any issue there, car is going to service center on Monday for a complete check of leak and fix, what I heard is there might be some seal that is leaking and a need new "O" ring, finger crossed on this oil leak, suggest other to look at the bottom area of turbo and near by, the other area of the engine bay is completely clean and no oil, its just dripping from turbo and down under, you don't notice them unless you somehow look that deep in the engine bay.

-Pramod
Hi Pramod,

Oil leak from the turbo is a potentially serious problem, and happens when there is a leak from manifold gaskets/ O-Seal connecting the exhaust chamber to the turbo inlet manifold. This is definitely NOT normal!

This can be corrected by replacement of the Seals and the oil leakage should stop. Don't wait to get this problem fixed, as if the turbo starves on oil, it can cause premature turbo failure. Like they say, A stitch in time saves nine! (a 50 Rupee seal is vital to save a 50K Turbo!)

I had the same problem on my earlier Ford Fiesta (after 50K kms) and got it rectified by the replacement of the seal.
Anyway, hope that these guys fix it quickly and efficiently.
How many Kms has your Yeti covered so far? Mine is around 18K now.

Regards,
Behemoth

Last edited by Behemoth : 27th January 2012 at 10:32.
Old 27th January 2012, 11:25   #321
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Hi Pramod,

Oil leak from the turbo is a potentially serious problem, and happens when there is a leak from manifold gaskets/ O-Seal connecting the exhaust chamber to the turbo inlet manifold. This is definitely NOT normal!

This can be corrected by replacement of the Seals and the oil leakage should stop. Don't wait to get this problem fixed, as if the turbo starves on oil, it can cause premature turbo failure. Like they say, A stitch in time saves nine! (a 50 Rupee seal is vital to save a 50K Turbo!)

I had the same problem on my earlier Ford Fiesta (after 50K kms) and got it rectified by the replacement of the seal.
Anyway, hope that these guys fix it quickly and efficiently.
How many Kms has your Yeti covered so far? Mine is around 18K now.

Regards,
Behemoth
Yeah, that's what I told them any leak is a leak and it's not supposed to happen! They are going to fix it on Monday, its gonna take 2 days is what is told to me, they have to disassemble quite a lot to fix the "O" ring back! all this has happened after 1st service, I have not driven much it 13K now and just 2K after servicing, before that I have seen the turbo area and it was clean! I hope they fix it properly.

-Pramod
Old 30th January 2012, 17:41   #322
BHPian

Have given the Yeti for the oil leak fix today, it gonna take 2 days and expecting it be delivered back tomorrow evening or else Wednesday. I am hoping this too be a minor issue and get a permanent fix! Will update once I get the vehicle back and have driven some miles to see if the leak has been fixed or not.

-Pramod
pramods is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2012, 18:42   #323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am hoping this too be a minor issue and get a permanent fix! Will update once I get the vehicle back and have driven some miles to see if the leak has been fixed or not.
-Pramod
Hi Pramod,
Sorry to hear about this oily business. Yes it can be a heart stopping moment to discover such gremlins out of the blue.
While the cause is most likely to be what Behemoth and you have already stated - one of the oil seals having gone kaput - sometimes there could be an issue with a cocked up oil separator in a diesel engine which causes the fine oil spray to move along with the air and land up in the turbo coating all the hoses - intercooler and the rest of the airways with the oil. But it is at the turbo side where the oil wicking takes place and later progresses into a dripping condition or if any of the hose clips are loose at that point. In that case they would possibly replace only the oil separator unit which is I think a cheapish item and clean up all the hoses etc. If this were to be the case then you would have some heavy smoke from the tail. Of the Yeti of course !

This was my experience from the Scorp CRDe days and I guess the design on the Yeti would be someway similar as far as the separator/basic air flow etc is concerned.
One thing surprising is that normally turbo oil seals are pretty robust and rarely go pffffft and even if they do - certainly not at 20K KMs of life.

Do keep us posted on the outcome and good luck.
Old 30th January 2012, 19:10   #324
Team-BHP Support

Just wondering guys but could it not be due to overfilling of oil during the service. Since this issue has occurred after service. Overfilling of oil is not good for the turbo but the excess oil maybe finding it's way out.
Old 30th January 2012, 21:49   #325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639
Just wondering guys but could it not be due to overfilling of oil during the service. Since this issue has occurred after service. Overfilling of oil is not good for the turbo but the excess oil maybe finding it's way out.
It never came to my mind and Yeti is already at service center, but this could one of the reason, I don't know if service guys would have figured out this! I am not sure but the last time I checked the oil after the leak I somehow thought the level to be higher than the indicated mark, my fault I should have looked again, as I was expecting the level to be too low from the leak and was too happy to note the oil level much higher!
I will only know what has been done tomorrow now.

-Pramod
Old 31st January 2012, 18:11   #326
BHPian

Received my Yeti, it was a seal replacement, as per the service adviser nothing to worry about! I have not yet driven hard to really check if the oil is still leaking or its gone for ever, will do that later during weekend. Was in rush back to office but they have cleaned the whole area and if it leak it would be visible very easily. Hoping for the best.

-Pramod
Old 31st January 2012, 19:21   #327
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Good to hear this slippery issue is sorted for the Abominable beast.
Vid's thought is an interesting one - worth keeping in mind, as is Guderian's input.
Cheers
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2012, 22:00   #328
BHPian

I checked the area near the turbo and don't see any oil currently, previously I got oil on my palm, I am still not sure and would wait some more days and mile and would check regularly, I am hoping this to be a minor glitch which will not comeback to haunt me anymore
-Pramod
Old 1st February 2012, 06:08   #329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Received my Yeti, it was a seal replacement, as per the service adviser nothing to worry about!
-Pramod
Good to hear that Pramod. I am sure the leak would have vanished.

Only question that begs attention is why has such a robust component's seal given way so quickly ? One had heard of this in vehicles after completing
1/2L KMs. So a little puzzled. The only thing I can think of is that the European seal and sealant (rubber/silicon/chem compounds) unable to take the Indian conditions ? Not sure.
You should ask for an explanation.
Old 1st February 2012, 08:30   #330
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Just wondering guys but could it not be due to overfilling of oil during the service. Since this issue has occurred after service.
But even if that was the reason, I dont think it would have happened soon after servicing. For a seal to give away, it would need longer operations in such conditions (excess oil in the turbo)

Any thoughts ?

Most Viewed