Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2012, 20:30   #496
Senior - BHPian

re: Skoda Yeti@ India (An ownership review) EDIT: Now sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
The Clutch master and slave cylinders are normally very close to the gearbox and share the oil with the gearbox. I don't think there is any visible bottle /buffer that you will be able to see as it doesn't reduce and never needs topping, unless there is a leakage.
Do get your problem checked asap, as within a few km of driving the clutch can fail and the damage to clutch and gearbox will be much more severe than just a leaking gasket /cylinder, which may be the case as of now.

Regards,
Behemoth
Actually the fluid used is smilar to brake fluid dot 4 dot 5. most cars have a container for the oil above the clutch cyl. In this case I feel it shares or rather feeds off the brake master cyl container but only above the half point. Old slave cyls were long units on the outside of the bell housing and would push the fork who's other end held the thrust bearing which actuated the cover assy of the clutch. The newer cars have their slave cyl directly behind the thrust bearing inside the bell housing. Anyway oil isn't leaking but I think maybe the rubber wahers in the master cyl have given way cos this is a vehicle which stood idle in the stock yard.
You're right I don't wanna spoil anything so I've called up skoda assistance wich this yeti has for a period of 2 years (but the period in Skoda India records differs I will rectify that later) and they will send a flat bed truck tomorrow and shift the car to the workshop.
I'm glad atleast this facility is available and more so that I thought about it and didn't drive the vehicle.
At the moment feel my M 800 5 speed is more reliable atleast I could have changed the clutch cable my self...
regards
Old 27th July 2012, 20:45   #497
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar
Actually the fluid used is smilar to brake fluid dot 4 dot 5. most cars have a container for the oil above the clutch cyl. In this case I feel it shares or rather feeds off the brake master cyl container but only above the half point. Old slave cyls were long units on the outside of the bell housing and would push the fork who's other end held the thrust bearing which actuated the cover assy of the clutch. The newer cars have their slave cyl directly behind the thrust bearing inside the bell housing. Anyway oil isn't leaking but I think maybe the rubber wahers in the master cyl have given way cos this is a vehicle which stood idle in the stock yard.
You're right I don't wanna spoil anything so I've called up skoda assistance wich this yeti has for a period of 2 years (but the period in Skoda India records differs I will rectify that later) and they will send a flat bed truck tomorrow and shift the car to the workshop.
I'm glad atleast this facility is available and more so that I thought about it and didn't drive the vehicle.
At the moment feel my M 800 5 speed is more reliable atleast I could have changed the clutch cable my self...
regards
Yes you are right and today's cars are quite complicated now. Better let the service guys assess the issue. You also have good knowledge of engines- are you an automobile engineer too by education! (I started my career as one but moved to marketing after doing my Mba!)
In those times engines were mostly mechanical and quite easy to fix. nowadays the electronics has made them quite complex and actually made them more prone to failure.
Old 27th July 2012, 22:21   #498
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You also have good knowledge of engines- are you an automobile engineer too by education! (I started my career as one but moved to marketing after doing my Mba!)
In those times engines were mostly mechanical and quite easy to fix. nowadays the electronics has made them quite complex and actually made them more prone to failure.
So it shows I guess. Actually I am not. My late father was and I learnt a lot from him. Studied his books when I should have been with mine. So I learned how to overhaul engines, suspension, brakes, and practially too. I had vintage motorcyles to help me experiment some more.
But youre right those old cars were easy to fix, but these are so comfortable. But the electronics and the processor that controls everything is a bother at times. The yeti was too good to be true, 12950 kms of pure driving bliss. Never been so lucky with a new vehicle. My dad used to say cars were meant to be more in the workshop than on the roads in the old days.... still true at times. You should have stuck to it, migh t have enjoyed todays cars giving trouble with their electronics
regards

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 27th July 2012 at 22:31.
Old 28th July 2012, 11:49   #499
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar

So it shows I guess. Actually I am not. My late father was and I learnt a lot from him. Studied his books when I should have been with mine. So I learned how to overhaul engines, suspension, brakes, and practially too. I had vintage motorcyles to help me experiment some more.
But youre right those old cars were easy to fix, but these are so comfortable. But the electronics and the processor that controls everything is a bother at times. The yeti was too good to be true, 12950 kms of pure driving bliss. Never been so lucky with a new vehicle. My dad used to say cars were meant to be more in the workshop than on the roads in the old days.... still true at times. You should have stuck to it, migh t have enjoyed todays cars giving trouble with their electronics
regards
Your knowledge speaks well and you father taught you the practical way and my respect goes out to him. In today's era you will find very few people with that level of knowledge. Even the service engineers in most workshop are not capable and instead of getting to the heart of the issue, they adopt a hit and trial way of solving problems. Also another trend in service nowadays is that they replace the whole assemblies instead of trying to replace or repair components as the earlier generations used to do. What could be solved by dismantling, a little machining and then proper reassembly, is now solved only by full replacement of the assembly by the company workshops.
Hope that your Yeti gets back on its wheels back again quickly.
All the best.
regards
Behemoth
Old 29th July 2012, 08:55   #500
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoskooll View Post
Skoda calls it: Rugged Wheel Arch Extension Kit - Part No. 5L0 071 069,
Find the same in the attached document.Attachment 953055
where did you source the Kit from ? Could you give me the contact details ? / link
Old 29th July 2012, 17:25   #501
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Your knowledge speaks well and you father taught you the practical way and my respect goes out to him.Hope that your Yeti gets back on its wheels back again quickly.
All the best.
regards
Behemoth
Behemoth,
Thanks for those words, It is kind of you and I will treasure them.
Skoda India sent a flat bed tow truck on time to take it to the workshop. They called before, then again when it was handed over to the wrokshop, and then the workshop called to inform me. Later a Supervisor called and said they's tell me by monday what exactly has gone bad.
Skoda Yeti@ India (An ownership review) EDIT: Now sold!-img00686201207280922.jpg
Here's a photo of the Yeti on the tow truck
Old 30th July 2012, 11:44   #502
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonhead View Post
Thanks all - I am going to stick to 32 psi all round too.

New problem, need help! - 2500kms done and yesterday onwards i noticed a slight play in the clutch :( There is 1/4th of the clutch freely depressing now and i noticed a small amount of oil leakage under the left front wheel.. Any thoughts on why and what this issue could be and whether it needs significant work to negate chennai trip on thu?

Thank you once again for your time..
Demonhead
you better get this checked properly specially if you find play after the vehicle has been stationary for awhile. Pumping or using the clutch tends to make the play become less. Atleast thats what happened in our case. JMD Bhandup says that there is a leak in the master cylinder and since it's a normal wear part (this is something I don't understand cos Skoda mentions that their parts carry a warranty for 2 years or 100000 kms) so they have to send the details and photos of the parts to Skoda India and get approval. I know Linings of the clutch or brake can wear out but can't believe a master cylinder would get worn out by depressing to disengage the clutch. And if it's just the rubber that has got swollen and hence the leaking I believe cos it's a vehicle that has remained idle in the stockyard for a long period of time.
So all Yeti owners who have a 2010 or 2011 Year of manufacture vehicle pay attention to such parts that can perish with time
Best regards
Nigel
Old 30th July 2012, 22:31   #503
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunilrj View Post
where did you source the Kit from ? Could you give me the contact details ? / link
Before delivery i wanted to see all the accessories available at the dealership. After finalising on the ones i required i asked the sales guy dealing with accessories if the wheel arch kit was available in india? He said he would need the part number & would get back to me. He rang me a few days later & said that it was available. He also told me that no one had ever had them fitted before & would order more kits. Note that not all accessories in the attached document are available.
Old 31st July 2012, 12:10   #504
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
Demonhead
you better get this checked properly specially if you find play after the vehicle has been stationary for awhile.
==============
So all Yeti owners who have a 2010 or 2011 Year of manufacture vehicle pay attention to such parts that can perish with time
Best regards
Nigel
Im sorry to hear about your clutch issue and thanks a lot for your note! I have noted your points about the clutch. My clutch seems to have a slight play but then again i wonder if its cause of my driving style or if its just that the way it is supposed to feel. I think after Shankar's advice i've been trying to hard not to ride the clutch a lot as i have poor clutch driving habits. I am at 14.5k kms and i'm going in soon for the first service and will be focusing on a complete check on the clutch etc..
Thanks once again for sharing your immense knowledge..
Old 2nd August 2012, 19:41   #505
BHPian

the proverbial "Beauty & the Beast"... Yeti 4x4 Elegance joins the Linea T-Jet+
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Yeti@ India (An ownership review) EDIT: Now sold!-beautynbeast1r.jpg  

xplorauto is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2012, 06:16   #506
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoskooll View Post
Before delivery i wanted to see all the accessories available at the dealership. After finalising on the ones i required i asked the sales guy dealing with accessories if the wheel arch kit was available in india? He said he would need the part number & would get back to me. He rang me a few days later & said that it was available. He also told me that no one had ever had them fitted before & would order more kits. Note that not all accessories in the attached document are available.
@ autoskooll If my Dealer is not able to source them could you please source them for me and send them ? i cant PM you my number or contact details.

also are the front Mud flaps removed or still retained after the kit was installed ?
Old 6th August 2012, 21:03   #507
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunilrj View Post
@ autoskooll If my Dealer is not able to source them could you please source them for me and send them ? i cant PM you my number or contact details.

also are the front Mud flaps removed or still retained after the kit was installed ?
Hey Sunilrj, i'm extremely sorry but i cant source the kit for you as i'm studying about 70 Ks away from the dealership. Get in touch with Mr.Shrikant at EUROPA AUTO Pune (Accessories), 020-66750000 . During delivery they told me that this was the first installation they had done & they would be ordering more such kits. Check with them for availability & dispatch.
autoskooll is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2012, 08:25   #508
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramods
Thanks, I need to go through the manual again to figure out "other hidden features", nonetheless here is an updated, I updated my Yeti with bluetooth module, the module has been activated and is working as expected. The exact details are
Part number: 7P6 035 730 C / 7P6035730C Software: SW 0440 Hardware: H05, which included Bluetooth interface 7P6 035 730 C * cablings * microphone 3B0 035 711 B.

The bluetooth pairing need to be done via MFD and my address book has been transfered to Car memory, the MFC shows the status for signal strength, battery and even the A2DP option for music!.

Will post the pictures later, but the integrated bluetooth for Yeti is awesome!

-Pramod
Hi Pramods, just a small query. You mentioned disconnecting the light connection. I suppose after installation of your Bluetooth module the light could be reconnected? Can this module be installed in the Ambition model which does not have the Bolero system?

Thanks in advance

Carcrazy
Old 24th August 2012, 13:18   #509
BHPian

Yes it can be fitted on ambient model, the finial connector are same on, you would be able to make the call via your music system provided it has the phone interface .(I have not seen the music system of ambient version but believe it might have the phone interface )

-Pramod
Old 24th August 2012, 19:12   #510
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramods View Post
TPMS is ABS based and the module in Yeti is different from Laura, nonetheless the mechanism is same almost similar coding. Now I have the proper auto light switch too,
also done the SuperB like needle sagging.Have a look at TPMS light on dash, this will not come on any other Indian Yeti!
-Pramod
Hey Pramod,
Quick question:

From where did you source the AUTO function headlight switch? Whats the part number?

Also need sourcing info for the cruise control system. While driving back to Bangalore from Munnar, the right ankle was showing signs of fatigue. The last leg was really difficult as i had a painful calf muscle. So I have decided to go for the cruise control whatever the risk. Fortunately I know someone who services ultra high end cars. I will seek his help should the service center guys refuse.

Most Viewed