Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2011, 19:36   #46
BHPian

re: Skoda Yeti@ India (An ownership review) EDIT: Now sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramods View Post

After almost a month wait the RTO told me to choose some other registration number, the number 80 has already been allocated... RTO can get me 8080 instead of 80!
-Pramod
Congratulations Pramod! Personally I think 8080 (Yeti! Yeti!) sounds better than just 80 (yeti!). With the final shackle now out of its way the Yeti would be rearing to go. I look forward to reading your escapades.

This is not off-topic. We should now have some real ownership stories.

You're cleared for take-off. So fasten your seat belts and get ready to roll. Beware! Low-flying is illegal in India.

Wishing you millions of happy miles.
Old 3rd January 2011, 22:01   #47
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMehta View Post
hi Pramod, firstly congrats on purchasing the yeti.
I had been following your Scorpio thread, could you please give an update on its sale and its last fuel leakage problem.
thanks.
hey pramod,
i think you forgot to reply to my post. Your feedback will be valuable. Thanks.
Old 4th January 2011, 12:57   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Indian Yeti gets the rough road package by default, it does have the protective film on the rear door and its supposed to be that way so you are not able to make out else it will look like "after market".
-Pramod
Quote:
Originally Posted by SushilBajpai View Post
As pramod says, the rough road package is standard fitment on Indian Yeti.. You can't see clear plastic flim near the rear wheels in photographs. It is otherwise it is quite obvious to the eyes. The front wheel mud-flaps should also help reduce the problem. Unfortunately they are not provided as standard. I have been chasing the dealership to procure these for me from Skoda for nearly a month now - without any success.

Having clocked more than 2000 km on odo, I have not noticed any paint chipping though.

Thanks for this update to you both. I could have sworn I did see the film in the flesh, and was surprised I couldn't make it out even in the large format pics Pramod has shared.

Good to know that is taken care of at least. Hope the front mud-flaps come through as well.

Great following your respective Yetis on this forum.
Old 5th January 2011, 07:20   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMehta View Post
hey pramod,
i think you forgot to reply to my post. Your feedback will be valuable. Thanks.
Scorpio is gone for good, even though the service center didn't hav the new gasket they were able to FIX it with some glue, that fix worked and there was no leakage any more.

-Pramod
PS: got the registration number as 8080 finally.
Old 5th January 2011, 23:19   #50
BHPian

Re: Skoda Yeti@ Tips to prevent stalling

Quote:
Two simple tips to avoid stalling the Yeti, during the initial days of getting to know the Yeti:

1. Downshift before reaching 1000 RPM.
2. Upshift after reaching 1200 RPM
3. Ensure RPM not less than 1100-1200 before accelerating or before releasing the clutch.

It appears silly driving a car like this (so mechanically). But after a couple days it becomes instinctive and then the above figures become more relaxed.

Having said this, it is very much possible to start off Yeti from the 1st gear, just by judiciuosly leaving clutch and without touching the accelerator.
This is what I have learned: To avoid stalls, especially at crawl traffic speeds, release the cluth without depressing the accelerator. So if you want to inch very slowly, just release clutch on first gear. At slightly higher crawl speeds, do the same thing with 2nd gear.

Using this technique I managed to stall just once today
Old 6th January 2011, 02:10   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

In every way but this, the Yeti seems to have so much going for it.

Ease of driving is all part of the diesel experience, isn't it? Shouldn't it be?
Old 6th January 2011, 11:17   #52
BHPian

I used the Hill hold feature once, this feature is only activated when you use the offroad button, while in Chikhaldara at one of the hairpin bend I stalled and have to use the offroad feature to hold the vehicle and get off to a good start! the offroad button deactivates itself if you pick up a good speed, the characteristic of the vehicle changes if offroad mode and the vehicle feels heavier in this mode.

-Pramod
pramods is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2011, 12:18   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is what I have learned: To avoid stalls, especially at crawl traffic speeds, release the cluth without depressing the accelerator
Could this be the way the car is designed to run to ensure you are at the right gear at the right speed specially the first and second gear. Even in Jetta i found the second gear required a little practice and almost everytime you stall you are driving very slow (as in first gear speed). Could this be a feature to protect the transmission and clutch to avoid revving very high at higher gears in low speed. I have no idea about this but just making a guess if that helps.

I feel these cars are designed not to run like Swift or Indica where we almost everytime move the vehicle in second gear. The moment it stalls you are pretty much starting from stand still in first gear and there by it almost makes me feel its a feature of the car to make sure you are using the right low gears for right speed.

Tech gods- forgive me if my statements are absolute nonsense but just a guess here.
Old 9th January 2011, 19:04   #54
BHPian

Quote:
I have no idea whether bluetooth module can be retrofitted on Yeti. Or for that matter, if it is available with Skoda India.

Nearly three weeks down the line, I am still waiting for the front mudflap and rubber floor-mats. Under the circumstances, bluetooth availability seems far-fetched. Have you go these for your vehicle?
Quote:
Elegance has the Phone connectivity, as the system is Bolero and this provides the phone connectivity, phone need to be added through the MID and not through the Music System, please read the user manual, the system is similar to Superb, let me know if you are able to get this working, else please look at internet with Skoda Bluetooth connectivity with Bolero system.
So what is the actual situation here? AFAIK, the Yeti or any of the VAG cars in India do not have the MDI (Mobile Device Interface) module/ interface even as an option.
And I have not yet heard about phone preparation being available either. Is that still not an option??

If neither of these interfaces are present, the buttons in the steering wheel are expensive dummies! I would not want to pay for them if there is no way to activate them!

Any definitive idea if there is or there isn't a way to optionally specify the MDI and the phone prep for India bound Yetis?

The Elegance Models in the UK get the following:

17” ‘Spitzberg’ alloy wheels (7Jx17’’ 225/50 R17 94W)
4-spoke multi-functional leather steering wheel for radio and telephone
Bi-xenon headlights with cornering function and dynamic angle control
Boarding spots integrated into door mirrors
Cornering front fog lights
Double lumbar supports (front)
ESP incl. ABS+EBD+EBC+ASR+EDL+HBA+DSR+ESBS
Full leather upholstery
Glasses storage case
Heated front seats
Hill hold control
Light assistant (coming home, leaving home, tunnel light, day light running lights)
Off road button (4x4 only)
Rain sensor and auto-dimming rear view mirror
Telephone pre-installation GSM II with Bluetooth®

What have they left off in the Indian edition?

Last edited by crackingride : 9th January 2011 at 19:12. Reason: added detail on UK spec
Old 9th January 2011, 19:15   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations

Hey pramods, missed this thread earlier, but my hearty congratulations on getting the Yeti. You've had plenty of heartburn with the Scorpio including the incomplete Leh trip, so I suppose Leh is going to see you in the Yeti the coming summer?
Old 9th January 2011, 20:03   #56
BHPian

Thanks, yes Leh is on provided I get off this time round! Related to bluetooth and phone preparation I am sure it can be done as the latest Superb are coming with phone and the system is same, possible order the same module of superb and get it fitted[I inquired this but service guys where not sure about the availability]. Hope to get this and installed, next in plan is replace the Bolero system with Columbus provided I am able to get the India maps to work with this else its useless for the cost![I heard the system cost 1.5K GBP]

-Pramod
Old 10th January 2011, 13:31   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackingride View Post
The Elegance Models in the UK get the following:

4-spoke multi-functional leather steering wheel for radio and telephone
Bi-xenon headlights with cornering function and dynamic angle control
Boarding spots integrated into door mirrors
Cornering front fog lights
Light assistant (coming home, leaving home, tunnel light, day light running lights)

Rain sensor and auto-dimming rear view mirror
Telephone pre-installation GSM II with Bluetooth®

What have they left off in the Indian edition?
Guess one can activate these if you have the software/hardware. Search for VAG at TBHP.
Old 10th January 2011, 16:46   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Guess one can activate these if you have the software/hardware. Search for VAG at TBHP.
If you have the software/ hardware, you might as well have the actual spec imported directly?? SOME of this might be possible using code tricks, but the Bi-Xenon headlights and Adaptive Front Light System (AFS) with cornering, for example, costs around 850 GBP. It automatically adapts lighting to various travel situations, swivels into turnings, and changes the illuminated surface and offers various lighting regimes, e.g. for city, motorway or driving in rain depending on the speed and actual driving conditions.

Telephone pre- install is not available as far as I can tell.

We seem to have rain sensing wipers, but not light assistant.
Etc. etc. etc.

Sad fact is that landed costs here are so high that to make it meet pricing targets, they remove the expensive bits, and we still pay more for less.
Old 11th January 2011, 09:44   #59
BHPian

I was not aware and have not read anywhere that there is lane change indicator feature available, I some how missed to slot the indicator knob and it blinked for 4 times, I tried again and yes this is a feature and not something different I did! its good to have feature while changing lanes on highway instead of slotting the knob completely, just press it in desired direction slightly and it blinks for 4 times.

-Pramod
Old 11th January 2011, 16:15   #60
BHPian

Quote:
I was not aware and have not read anywhere that there is lane change indicator feature available, I some how missed to slot the indicator knob and it blinked for 4 times, I tried again and yes this is a feature and not something different I did! its good to have feature while changing lanes on highway instead of slotting the knob completely, just press it in desired direction slightly and it blinks for 4 times.

-Pramod
Right and left turn signal light
– Push the lever upwards or downwards.
– If you only wish to flash three times (the so-called convenience turn signal), push the lever briefly up to the upper or lower pressure point and release it. This function can be activated/deactivated in the information display* on page 24.
– Turn signal for changing lanes - in order to only flash briefly, move the lever up or down to the pressure point and hold it in this position.

All this on Page 59 of your manual!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks