Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2013, 09:09   #691
BHPian

re: Skoda Yeti@ India (An ownership review) EDIT: Now sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnkurS View Post
The more I think about it Blaupunkt seems like a solid option, so I guess thats the direction the HU is heading in.

Now all thats left is getting my hands on the VGA-Com cable and get the features enabled myself. Cannot wait!
Good choice AnkurS!

Also, a guy in cochin, (vagtune.in) does a lot of fitments on VAG cars without voiding the warranty. If you have the budget, a great addition to the list could be steering mounted controls (you could upgrade to 3-spoke leather), and auto headlamp switch. Both would cost around 50K.
Old 14th September 2013, 12:03   #692
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajeeshonly View Post
Good choice AnkurS!

Also, a guy in cochin, (vagtune.in) does a lot of fitments on VAG cars without voiding the warranty. If you have the budget, a great addition to the list could be steering mounted controls (you could upgrade to 3-spoke leather), and auto headlamp switch. Both would cost around 50K.
I looked at their website before - do they have a branch in Blore at all? Else will have to think about driving out to Cochin. Thanks for the tip.
Old 14th September 2013, 12:18   #693

I am looking for VCAS cable on Loan in Delhi, can anyone willing to offer the same for which I will be thankful!!

Quote:
Hello Everyone!

This is my first post at T-BHP after many months of waiting to become a T-BHP member, so WOOT!

I can't wait for my own little Bigfoot to arrive, I just wish I could afford the 4x4 Elegance, but Bangalore OTR prices just do not make it easier for someone like me to go all out. Hence, aftermarket upgrades will have to do!
Hi Ankur, I am also a proud owner of Yeti 4X4 elegance model. Yeti 4X2 is also a great car. You can search Bolero Unit from Ebay. As regard to VGA-Com cable, I am also looking for the same as I want install BT module which I recently purchased locally and heard that lot of modifications can be carried out with it. Please let me know if you get to know any source for VGA-Com cable, may we can share the cost so that we can jointly use it!!

Last edited by moralfibre : 1st October 2013 at 10:32. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 14th September 2013, 13:02   #694
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Hello Everyone!

This is my first post at T-BHP after many months of waiting to become a T-BHP member, so WOOT!

I would like to give my thanks to authors of some very helpful posts with respect to the Yeti. I'm about to become a proud part owner of a new Skoda Yeti (Ambition 4X2) and have been chomping at the bit for the last 1 month. Having read posts from Pramod, Shankar, Behemoth and Sunilrj on the forum, I have a few questions and was hoping there would be answers to some of these:
a. I would like to change the HU in the Ambition from Swing to Bolero - the dealer is non-committal and I wanted to check from someone who may have done this whether this upgrade would in any way hamper any of the features such as Reverse Parking Sensors or such?
b. I would like to get the BT module installed - I understand that it can be sourced from Europe / eBay etc., but can the guys at the Bangalore A.S.S. install these?
c. Should I plonk cash for the VGA-Com Hex cable from Ross Tech? It appears that this would be money well spent, given that various safety features / functions can be activated through the cable and interface, but I'm not sure if someone's done these 'upgrades' on a 4x2 Yeti yet?
d. Would it make sense to ditch the OEM HU completely and go for an aftermarket integrated BT HU such as from Blaupunkt / Kenwood / Alpine? Will this cause issues with the manufacturer's warranty at all?

I can't wait for my own little Bigfoot to arrive, I just wish I could afford the 4x4 Elegance, but Bangalore OTR prices just do not make it easier for someone like me to go all out. Hence, aftermarket upgrades will have to do!
I would suggest be very careful about after market stuff especially because they are very sensitive about warranty void issues and this is an expensive car.
Having said that, there is this guy Vagtune in Cochin who seems to be quite a cat at fixing Skoda vehicles with a number of bells, whistles and toys. Our fellow member Nitinbose has used his services and is extremely satisfied I believe. And by the way the cable is a VAG VCDS compatible cable and not a VGA one. There are several members who have this, on the forum. Would suggest write to SunilRJ also as he is quite an expert on most things Skoda on account of his having done a lot of diligent and patient research on the subject. Behemoth is another fund of information. I am not an expert by any stretch, just a simple regular joe consumer who likes good quality stuff.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 14th September 2013 at 13:10.
Old 14th September 2013, 14:34   #695
BHPian

Hi Deepak,

I've ordered the VAG cable from Ross Tech last week, so it should be here in a couple of days. Be happy to share it with anyone who finds a use for it. Feel free to drop me a line if I can be of help.

Thanks for the reply Shankar. Sunil and Pramod have really been busy with their Yetis, haven't they? I hope I can do some of the things they've been able to do on my car as well (without voiding the warranty, of course!). Thanks for pointing out the boo-boo, that was me typing without thinking!

Cheers
Ankur
AnkurS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2013, 19:08   #696
BHPian

Quote:
I looked at their website before - do they have a branch in Blore at all? Else will have to think about driving out to Cochin. Thanks for the tip.
If you call the number on the website, he might come down to bangalore to get your stuff done. I have met him and got a USB module fitted for the swing audio. He knows his stuff, but still advise you to oversee the work in case you decide to hire him.
ajeeshonly is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2013, 19:14   #697
BHPian

Quote:

If you call the number on the website, he might come down to bangalore to get your stuff done. I have met him and got a USB module fitted for the swing audio. He knows his stuff, but still advise you to oversee the work in case you decide to hire him.
That sounds great Ajeesh! Will look at their website more closely. What else have you got done to your Yeti mate?
Old 14th September 2013, 22:28   #698
BHPian

Quote:
...I have met him and got a USB module fitted for the swing audio...
Can you please provide some more details on how you went about doing this? Did you use a genuine Skoda part? And what was the cost?
Old 14th September 2013, 23:10   #699
BHPian

Had a trouble free experience so far with the car in the past 1.5 years of the Yeti's ownership. Got a confirmation yesterday from the ASC that the cylinder head needs to be replaced. Such incidents do raise the question on the quality. Just lucky that the incident happened within the warranty phase, dreading to think what will happen post-warranty days...

Anyways ASC has placed order for the cylinder heads, seems like it will be another 10 days that I get my car back :-(
Old 15th September 2013, 00:06   #700
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailtosid View Post
Had a trouble free experience so far with the car in the past 1.5 years of the Yeti's ownership. Got a confirmation yesterday from the ASC that the cylinder head needs to be replaced. Such incidents do raise the question on the quality. Just lucky that the incident happened within the warranty phase, dreading to think what will happen post-warranty days...

Anyways ASC has placed order for the cylinder heads, seems like it will be another 10 days that I get my car back :-(
Sorry to hear that Sid. Did they state the reason for failure? Hope you get your car back in tip top shape after the replacement.
Old 15th September 2013, 12:36   #701
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoom View Post
Can you please provide some more details on how you went about doing this? Did you use a genuine Skoda part? And what was the cost?
It had the VW logo and serial number. I don't know how to verify how genuine it is. It cost me 15k for the module and fitting. IPod cable would cost another 1.5k. USB cable came with the module.

Since I am from cochin, I drove in to his shop in Edappally on NH47 and got it fitted by Mr. Sugesh himself. It was a 20 minute job, even though there were other delays due to his lack of planning. All he did was open the panel, remove the direct cabling, and making it pass through this new module. He also made settings using the VAG cable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailtosid View Post
I share the same concerns. My compressor is being replaced right now. My vehicle doesn't have extended warranty and that worries me. My warranty expires in February, and not sure if extended warranty can be purchased at this time.

Last edited by moralfibre : 1st October 2013 at 10:32. Reason: Back to back posts.
ajeeshonly is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2013, 16:56   #702
BHPian

Quote:
I share the same concerns. My compressor is being replaced right now. My vehicle doesn't have extended warranty and that worries me. My warranty expires in February, and not sure if extended warranty can be purchased at this time.
All that I know is the extended warranty can be purchased only at the time of purchase. Am also checking why the part failed, will update the forum later...
Old 15th September 2013, 19:56   #703
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Speak to the guy - they schedule visits to Bangalore, Mangalore, Coimbatore, Chennai based on requirements from people there.

He has most of the stuff you want and then some more, including auto-park, xenon kit, etc
Steeroid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2013, 20:06   #704
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post

Speak to the guy - they schedule visits to Bangalore, Mangalore, Coimbatore, Chennai based on requirements from people there.

He has most of the stuff you want and then some more, including auto-park, xenon kit, etc
Sent him a message Steeroid. Waiting for a response, else will call him. Just concerned if any of the upgrades might void warranty, fingers crossed!
Old 16th September 2013, 19:40   #705
BHPian

Quote:
Sent him a message Steeroid. Waiting for a response, else will call him. Just concerned if any of the upgrades might void warranty, fingers crossed!
Ankur, I am sure folks that our TBHP guys recommended are going to be highly skilled and top guns in their trade. Question is - what if you do some changes outside Service center and later god forbid require warranty claim. Reading all the sad stories, I have no confidence that A.S.S will not point to a harmless changes you did and cry foul just to get out of warranty processing. In fact I was too evaluating putting a Philadelphia 835 but decided against it.

I know this sounds strange but I would be more comfortable making changes that they can not easily see/detect ( remap ) than the once they can.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks