Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2014, 14:56   #751
Team-BHP Support

re: Skoda Yeti@ India (An ownership review) EDIT: Now sold!

Shankar find someone with a steam cleaner and get them to do the leather seats. It will be factory fresh afterwards. The detailers whom I use have this steam cleaner, and I've seen over the years how the leather looks brand new after this step. And it doesn't leave the gloss of using a leather wax or cleaner.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2014, 15:30   #752
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Shankar find someone with a steam cleaner and get them to do the leather seats. It will be factory fresh afterwards. The detailers whom I use have this steam cleaner, and I've seen over the years how the leather looks brand new after this step. And it doesn't leave the gloss of using a leather wax or cleaner.

Good idea. Will consider this. Steam will typically open the pores of the leather and remove all the excess muck.
The waxes and oils are great, but they tend to leave a residue of grease. Grease does attract dust and other muck, all of which tends to go and permeate the seats over a period of time.
Thanks for suggesting this.

I keep forgetting despite having worked for a premium leather brand, leather is exactly the same as skin and will benefit from the same treatment that we give to our skin! Steam treatment for one's face makes it look completely refreshed, it is the same for the seat leather!
Old 23rd February 2014, 16:58   #753
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Is there a scientific way to 'refresh' the seats to make them look as good as new? Specifically the drivers seat?
A friend of mine who is almost painfully **** about interiors had a look at my seats and suggested something. Being a person known for the impeccable condition of his cars, I took his advice and it worked.

The advice seemed a bit strange initially - he recommended using Mysore Sandal Soap. Specifically, lather it up in water and use the lather of Mysore Sandal Soap - according to him the BEST cleaning solution for leather, that does not damage it.

Wax it afterwards.
Steeroid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2014, 17:23   #754
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
A friend of mine who is almost painfully **** about interiors had a look at my seats and suggested something. Being a person known for the impeccable condition of his cars, I took his advice and it worked.

The advice seemed a bit strange initially - he recommended using Mysore Sandal Soap. Specifically, lather it up in water and use the lather of Mysore Sandal Soap - according to him the BEST cleaning solution for leather, that does not damage it.

Wax it afterwards.

I can begin to believe this. Especially when considering that I have been using Mysore Sandal soap exclusively, for my personal use, ever since I can remember.

However, it would never until now, have occurred to me to consider it for my car's leather seats.

Saying that, hey, if I use it for my own person, then why not on my lovely leather car seats too?

Let me try this unconventional idea. I need to gear my mind up for it first though.
Old 23rd February 2014, 21:26   #755
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I can begin to believe this. Especially when considering that I have been using Mysore Sandal soap exclusively, for my personal use, ever since I can remember.

However, it would never until now, have occurred to me to consider it for my car's leather seats.

Saying that, hey, if I use it for my own person, then why not on my lovely leather car seats too?

Let me try this unconventional idea. I need to gear my mind up for it first though.
The mysore sandal soap may clean it up, but I'm 100% sure it wont give as good results as a steam clean. After the steam clean the leather which has stretched, and got a bit lose in some places becomes tight as a glove again. And it feels like new, almost a bit fluffy (lol).
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2014, 17:11   #756
BHPian

Skoda Yeti@ India (An ownership review)

It's time for an update, even though it's just 2.2K kms in an year it's time for 4th service.

No complaints apart from AC which seems to work ok when the vehicle is running but the cooling is not sufficient when the vehicle is at idle speed or at very slow speed.
There seems to be some internal recall sort of for AC and Skoda is either replacing the AC valve or Compressor or both. My Yeti too is on the list and it will be checked further as of now they are changing the AC valve and after that a through checking and final report to Skoda, if required Compressor will be changed.

This is going to be first major overhaul on my Yeti, am hoping Skoda has figured out and fixed the AC problem for good, as the temperature here in Nagpur is rising steadily.

Skoda Yeti@ India (An ownership review) EDIT: Now sold!-nagpurtemp.jpg

Will update once I get my Yeti back on Tuesday.

-Pramod

Last edited by pramods : 3rd May 2014 at 17:33.
pramods is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2014, 17:21   #757
Distinguished - BHPian

What I use is Abro leather and vinyl cleaner spray and using a medium hard scrubbing brush, give it a nice scrub. It takes out all the dirt and muck and deposits from the seats. Then after that I wipe it with a clean towel. After that I polish it with Turtle leather conditioner. Seats look as good as new even after 40 months. I also has bought a steam cleaner as I heard it is supposed to be good. But frankly I did not find it at all effective and it left my car smelling very damp and musty - so decided never to use it again!
Incidentally even my Yeti also went through the Ac valve and compressor change as part of the recall and is cooling perfectly now. Shankar also got it done a few days back. Best to get it done now while it is still under warranty! Later it would otherwise cost a bomb.

Last edited by Behemoth : 3rd May 2014 at 17:26.
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2014, 18:09   #758
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
I also has bought a steam cleaner as I heard it is supposed to be good. But frankly I did not find it at all effective and it left my car smelling very damp and musty - so decided never to use it again!
That would be based on my recommendation. May I know which steam cleaner you bought?

I am very surprised it didnt work. The steam cleaner along with a cleaning brush has done wonders whenever I have seen it.

Also my Yeti too is due for a compressor/valve change. I intend on getting it done during the next service in about 2-3k kms.
Old 3rd May 2014, 20:58   #759
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That would be based on my recommendation. May I know which steam cleaner you bought?

I am very surprised it didnt work. The steam cleaner along with a cleaning brush has done wonders whenever I have seen it.

Also my Yeti too is due for a compressor/valve change. I intend on getting it done during the next service in about 2-3k kms.
I bought an Inalsa Rapid steam cleaner and have a brush attachment. It does dislodge the grime but the steam really makes the leather too wet and unless you immediately wipe it away the moisture gets into the seats.
Old 3rd May 2014, 21:11   #760
Senior - BHPian

I am seeing most of your Yetis have AC cooling problem and are replacing the compressor/valve. My Yeti is May 2012 make (assembled) and have crossed around 20K kms with no apparent feel of AC cooling problem. Is it like this cooling problem starts occuring after a certain mileage (eg. beyond 40K kms) Or, may be that I am the only one most of the time in the car and not feeling the cooling affect on other seats? Are there any particular symptoms or steps that one could look for AC problem?
Old 3rd May 2014, 21:42   #761
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
I am seeing most of your Yetis have AC cooling problem and are replacing the compressor/valve. My Yeti is May 2012 make (assembled) and have crossed around 20K kms with no apparent feel of AC cooling problem. Is it like this cooling problem starts occuring after a certain mileage (eg. beyond 40K kms) Or, may be that I am the only one most of the time in the car and not feeling the cooling affect on other seats? Are there any particular symptoms or steps that one could look for AC problem?
The problem arises when it's idle for more than 2 min or something. On my daily travel to Gurgaon i used to face this problem at toll. Mine was replaced last year not as part of recall but part of complaint i raised. They inititally changed the valve and later compressor. They took about 2 weeks to fix the whole problem later the reimbursed me the taxi bills for my daily commute.

One thing though i am surprised that they are doing it this late because as far as i remember, after my issue i got to know from my SA that skoda is planning to fix this as a recall (they may not technically call it) and it includes laura too. I know my friend who got the laura at the same time was called upon early this year.

On a side note, i went for 4th service in april and just today i completed 60k.

Last edited by abbey4u : 3rd May 2014 at 21:44.
abbey4u is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2014, 07:32   #762
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
What I use is Abro leather and vinyl cleaner spray and using a medium hard scrubbing brush ...
Quote:
The steam cleaner along with a cleaning brush has done wonders whenever I have seen it.
Can you gentlemen please post a pic / more details of said brush? Buying a branded cleaner is easy, but it would be important to get the right brush so the cleaning is effective but the leather is not harmed. Thanks.
Old 4th May 2014, 09:00   #763

I had an AC problem at 27000km and the service center just replaced the compressor and it was done in a day and now the AC just is awesome even at 40 degrees
Old 4th May 2014, 09:04   #764
Distinguished - BHPian

It is a medium hard carpet brush from a company called Kem. Should be very easily available anywhere. It is quite good in taking out all the grime from the Yetis seats. In fact there were also some oil stains from Lays chips which my son had dropped on the seats. After using the Abro cleaner and this brush they also came off easily.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Yeti@ India (An ownership review) EDIT: Now sold!-1399174328289.jpg  

Old 4th May 2014, 12:07   #765
BHPian

Skoda Yeti@ India (An ownership review)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbey4u View Post
The problem arises when it's idle for more than 2 min or something. .....

You are right, the problem is more prominent only when you are idling or chugging along near to ideal rpm, at this speed AC almost stops cooling, I complained about this last year May at 3rd servicing and was told that they have a software update and will call me in few days, that never happened and I drove my car just 2.2K kms in whole year and never felt the need again, but now the heat in Nagpur has made it more apparent again and I will also be running out of extended warranty in next few months and this seems to be a big ticket item !

-Pramod

Last edited by pramods : 4th May 2014 at 12:10.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks