Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2012, 19:22   #376
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBN
I had an accident this morning in the yeti at around 5.20-5.25am midway between Belgaum and Dharwad on NH4. I was fresh at the wheel from 4.45am having taken over from my driver.

. It was so sudden that the 2 front airbags just opened up and then I could feel the truck scaring ahead. I did not feel the first impact at all.

The yeti controlled itself very well ad I brought it to the side lane for a stop. The truck chappie didn't even stop giving me to believe it was his fault.

A little bit of panic as smoke from the airbags filled the cabin. My parents, family and driver were all fine. Only I had some scratches on my left hand as the plastic GPS holder probably scraped it while falling down.

Kudos to Skoda for the strong build and handling and safety aspects in the car.

I look forward to getting it all fixed and be on the road again and get rid of all the demons inside me for the last 3 hours on the road now.

Will have to settle the hefty bill when it comes, but no physical injury, I think, is a blessing to count.
Good that you and your family and chauffeur are all safe. Dont worry about the car. You can always take the insurance and/ or earn or buy another one. The main thing is that life and limb are intact!
Thank god for the fantastic safety features that these modern cars come with. I really appreciate Skoda, VW, Audi, Volvo, BMW, Merc and the other Euro vehicles for their sheer build quality, in-built safety design and the paramount priority being given to passenger safety over silly gizmos and bling! Glad that I evolved in time and did not compromise on those safety features when I was car hunting. Take care and I wish your Yeti all the best for a speedy recovery!
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2012, 22:54   #377
Distinguished - BHPian

Good to know that your family is safe. After all that's what matters the most. Car can be repaired anytime. Human body can't!

One concern about the condition in which the airbag opened. It was a side impact. Was the declaration very high when you hit the truck. Like 60 to 0 within 1 second or something like that?
Old 7th June 2012, 23:30   #378
VBN
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki
One concern about the condition in which the airbag opened. It was a side impact. Was the declaration very high when you hit the truck. Like 60 to 0 within 1 second or something like that?
I had started to slow down on seeing the road narrow when the truck hit me as it swerved too much to the right. When the truck hit the front left, the left wheel had gotten pushed back against the apron of the car(owing to the impact) causing a gash in the tyre. The tyre bust that I had felt was actually a resultant of the gash caused by the tyre pushed back against the car apron on impact. The car handled itself well and I was able to bring it to a stop soon on the side. A little more and I would have been into a ditch on the side of the highway. That didn't happen owing to the brakes applied ab initio and the great handling of the vehicle. I feel it's actually good the airbags opened on the side impact (more than deceleration) as it could easily have turned into something more serious.

The Skoda on- road assistance service arranged for the rowing of the vehicle to the workshop 70kms away. They didn't charge for the service. I guess the recovery is built into the pricing of the parts etc. The number of the Skoda 24 hour helpline is 18002094646. This number as well as the hubli workshop details aren't mentioned in the 2-pager on all workshop locations list that was provided along with the user manual. I had called the mangalore workshop person at 6am and he assisted me with the 1800 number and some details of the assistance at hubli. The towing person also advised of facilities at kolhapur. So looks like Skoda has ramped up outlets and workshops in the last 15 months.

The statistics on the car have been downloaded by the workshop and uploaded along with photos into the Skoda central system. The hubli workshop didn't have all the parts and they do a weekly order on Thursday's which the service advisor assures me has been done.

Last edited by VBN : 7th June 2012 at 23:38.
VBN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2012, 21:53   #379
BHPian

Good to see Skoda is trying, but hey are not yet there, hope your Yeti comes out of service center faster and better.
I went ahead and changed my Goodyear tyres, no Yoko or Mich available in 215/60/16 in one of the shop they had 2 tyres and it din't make sense, went ahead with Bridgestone with same size and profile, at least today lots of noises that I used to hear have suddenly vanished , hope it continues this way, the new tyres costed Rs 8100 each looks worth to me.

-Pramod
Old 10th June 2012, 12:57   #380
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Skoda Yeti@ India (An ownership review) EDIT: Now sold!

Note from Moderator: Posts related to Yeti tire upgrade moved to the dedicated thread (Skoda Yeti : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread) to keep all the information at one place for ease of searching. Thanks for your co-operation

Last edited by .anshuman : 10th June 2012 at 12:58.
Old 10th June 2012, 15:25   #381
BHPian

Glad to know that you and your family are safe! The car certainly did its job of keeping you'll safe.
How long will they take to fix the car? I believe they'll add the towing charge to your final settlement bill. IIRC some insurance companies pay towing charges to the tune of 1.5-2k.
My folks had an accident on the same road in 08. The car was totaled by the seatbelts saved them

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBN View Post
The last one involving a swift desire was the most ghastly in terms of head on collision and impact, that vehicle did not have air bags. Pulling out the passengers from that car was heart wrenching,
Was this a crash with a truck? I Believe the 54yr old gent driving the car passed away. He along with his family were shifting base to Udupi from Belgaum when this happened.
Old 10th June 2012, 18:20   #382
BHPian

Hi,
Part 1: I had gone to Sireesh Auto (blr) to book XUV 500 yesterday but after a TD with my family I hesitated because of the Brakes( spongy) and Suspension. I realized that as long as i am on smooth road things are great but moment its broken road or a bump I could feel everyone getting thrown around.
Part 2: I also TD the Yeti 4x4 and fell in love, it was a Tafe Yeti. I told the sales guy to get back to me with an offer. I am yet to hear from him or Tafe. I have heard Skoda service as horrible but they are not even keen to sell. Can the Yetian's on this forum advice me please.
Old 11th June 2012, 05:10   #383
BANNED

Ah the Dilemma strikes again!

If you're looking for a Yeti, please refer my name to Mr Hemanth, the GM of Vinayak Skoda in Palace Orchards. He looked after me well, and I have indeed referred several potential Bangalore Yeti seekers to him. I believe he's looked after them nicely too.

I also tried buying from TAFE on Hosur which is closer for me that Palace Orchards but owing to a similar experience in terms of "interest to sell", I went with Vinayak.

PM me and I will give you Hemanth's mobile number

Cheers
Shankar

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinoctober View Post
Hi,
Part 1: I had gone to Sireesh Auto (blr) to book XUV 500 yesterday but after a TD with my family I hesitated because of the Brakes( spongy) and Suspension. I realized that as long as i am on smooth road things are great but moment its broken road or a bump I could feel everyone getting thrown around.
Part 2: I also TD the Yeti 4x4 and fell in love, it was a Tafe Yeti. I told the sales guy to get back to me with an offer. I am yet to hear from him or Tafe. I have heard Skoda service as horrible but they are not even keen to sell. Can the Yetian's on this forum advice me please.
Old 11th June 2012, 16:36   #384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Ah the Dilemma strikes again!

If you're looking for a Yeti, please refer my name to Mr Hemanth, the GM of Vinayak Skoda in Palace Orchards. He looked after me well, and I have indeed referred several potential Bangalore Yeti seekers to him. I believe he's looked after them nicely too.

I also tried buying from TAFE on Hosur which is closer for me that Palace Orchards but owing to a similar experience in terms of "interest to sell", I went with Vinayak.

PM me and I will give you Hemanth's mobile number

Cheers
Shankar

HI shankar, I am yet to figure out how to PM you or is it reserved for distinguished members only?
I did drop into vinayak today morning and the attitude is the same Tafe or Vinayak. I fail to understand these dealers. Also the price by tafe and vinayak are different.
I also got to know a 2nd hand yeti for sale. i may have to spent a few days to figure out the History of this car
Old 13th June 2012, 06:37   #385
BHPian

Quote:
HI shankar, I am yet to figure out how to PM you or is it reserved for distinguished members only?
I did drop into vinayak today morning and the attitude is the same Tafe or Vinayak. I fail to understand these dealers. Also the price by tafe and vinayak are different.
I also got to know a 2nd hand yeti for sale. i may have to spent a few days to figure out the History of this car
after six months am still struggling to buy a Yeti! Vinayak has quoted a price that is lesser than the one quoted by TAFE Mangalore. TAFE Mangalore rates fluctuate as much as the Stock Indices in Bombay! i Cant buy from Vinayak as i do not have a Permanent Address in Bangalore and nor can i Do a TCR and take it to Mangalore and get it registered in Mangalore as Vinayak doesnt have authority to sell in Mangalore

TAFE on the other hand wants to fleece me and make me pay the post budget price for the pre budget stock. the reason they give when i argued that hiked excise cannot be charged from me as the vehicle had left the factory before the hike is that they have invested on the set-up and the showroom and need to recover their costs, they have spent on maintenance and upkeep of the car since 7 months etc

Last edited by Sunilrj : 13th June 2012 at 06:38.
Old 13th June 2012, 13:14   #386
BHPian

Do you think the Diesel Vehicle rates will go up with the New tax proposed? Is it wise to go for the Yeti now ? Had a call from Tafe after 1 week asking me what kind of offer am i looking at? they offering 1 lakh discount ,which i think can be pushed to 1.5 as shankar balan adviced + I would like a 1 lakh km warranty. well i need some incentive to plunge 21 lakh right away. what do you guys think?
Old 13th June 2012, 20:17   #387
VBN
BHPian

The incentive is the vehicle. On the tax front, the increase in excise duty, on passenger diesel cars, will soon be a reality, I feel. Might be better to push for the discount and close the deal quickly.
VBN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2012, 20:31   #388
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinoctober

Ok. Please call Hemanth the GM of Vinayak on ninety nine thousand eighty six thousand three hundred fifty nine.
Mention me and that you are looking to be treated properly with a good fair discount and proper care etc. Tell him about your experience with the exec whoever it is and that guy will get his bottom booted.
I got the wind up based on the rumour of diesel tax in Dec last year and so promptly bought the Yeti.
If I were looking to buy one now as two or three of you chaps seem to be, then I would do it now! No delays!
That white second hand yeti is nice looking but seems to have done a lot of mileage in one year. Personally, looking at the asking price I would go and get a new one!
Old 14th June 2012, 13:51   #389
BANNED

Quote:
You can PM any BHPian. I ve sent you a PM with my number and you can call me directly since I m going to meet Hemant to close another sale for a friend today in the evening. I completely recommend him for all sales issues with Skoda. We can go together or meet at Vinayak directly if you wish to.

Also, let me know if you want the history of the Yeti checked, I can do it for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
That white second hand yeti is nice looking but seems to have done a lot of mileage in one year. Personally, looking at the asking price I would go and get a new one!
Precisely, also a new European car smells and feels so nice that it is difficult to beat the effect.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2012, 13:57   #390
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath
You can PM any BHPian. I ve sent you a PM with my number and you can call me directly since I m going to meet Hemant to close another sale for a friend today in the evening. I completely recommend him for all sales issues with Skoda. We can go together or meet at Vinayak directly if you wish to.

Also, let me know if you want the history of the Yeti checked, I can do it for you.

Precisely, also a new European car smells and feels so nice that it is difficult to beat the effect.
I ve seen that white used yeti. Its been sitting around fr sale since March 2012. Has been doing the rounds of Car House, Royal Carz, Classic etc and as of now it is sittng in Car House. I would buy a new one andvthis is because the asking price is really high and the vehicle has done a lot of kms n its short life.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks