Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2011, 10:25   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: TATA - FIAT Palio Stile MJD : Crafted by FIAT specially for ME!

Thanks Lloyd!

Good to know that your home town is not too far away from Munnar. Its really high time you started your ownership thread. In less than 2 months, you have OVERclocked and have reached almost 10k kms
funkykar is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2011, 15:45   #92
BHPian

Funkykar, Belated Wishes for the New year. Good to the see the car ODO read as 1111 on 1.1.11

Reading the reviews of the Palio and after personally looking at it. I am now falling more in love with the Red Beauty.

BTW, What have you decided about the MAG Wheels? Any updates, we all are waiting.
GreenDay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2011, 16:33   #93
Senior - BHPian

Motoroids has a report on the new Fiat Palio. I'm not sure how true this info is and hence did not create a new thread.

Looking at the photo in the link, the Punto genes are clearly seen and the car looks quite nice. Wonder is that car will make it India...
Old 7th January 2011, 00:50   #94
Senior - BHPian

ODO nearing the 3000 mark now. I wanted to see how my red beauty peforms if red lined. Today after office, along with my collegues red beauty (took the delivery along with me) decided to hit the highway. Until Mehkri circle it was B2B traffice. Then we cruised along until BIAL. Once the Interceptor range was done with, we floored the pedal whenever the opportunity arised. By the time we reached Nandi hills cross, I had already touched 150kmph at a breeze. Then on never let the RPM fall below 3500. I was able to easily manage 140-150 even at average turns. The handling felt as if I was driving at 80-90. Braking seemed okay too considering I am still on stock tires. Then I started accelerating at stretches where the road had good visibility and clear of traffic. I hit speeds upto 170KMPH. It felt very very nervy as I got a bit conscious as this is the fastest that I have driven on road in any car. Braking seemed a bit weary at speeds over 150KMPH. I dont know if it was because of the stock tires or it is supposed to be that way.

All my Palio now needs is the Alloys and wider tires. I am just unable to manage time to get this. It should be done by maximum end of month.

I am already impressed by the Palio and MJD. Yet, again and again it continues to delight me
Old 7th January 2011, 00:56   #95

The Palio MJD is one the most underated and fun cars in India. And it is QUICK!!! Had the chance to drive it one of those open northern highway routes when I did the Fiat India Diesel runs.
Old 10th January 2011, 22:51   #96

@funkykar: Belated(3000Km old ) congratulations man! A bold yet beautiful decision I would say. Palio is indeed a very good car and the best thing which you've got is the A-pillars which don't obstruct your vision like most(almost all) modern cars. How is the beauty feeling now in terms of cabin noise and does the engine sounds similar to the Punto mjd when the pedal is floored? It would be great if you could post some detailed interior pictures of the Red Beauty! Wish you lifelong delighting experience with your beauty.Oh I love FIATs! Do keep the thread updated.
Old 11th January 2011, 11:06   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Funky: did you get the head lights upgraded?

How better is it with the upgraded headlamps. Please share some information on the same.
Old 11th January 2011, 18:09   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACFT View Post
the best thing which you've got is the A-pillars which don't obstruct your vision like most(almost all) modern cars. How is the beauty feeling now in terms of cabin noise and does the engine sounds similar to the Punto mjd when the pedal is floored?
Thank you ACFT! I like your question. A true comparison of Palio can be made only with the Punto. I have driven Sujith1100's Punto for a few thousand kilometers. I felt the handling to be same on both cars. Punto is far more spacious from the inside though, large dash board and lot of new features. I feel the Punto MJD feels a lot more smoother refined and Palio feels a bit rugged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Funky: did you get the head lights upgraded?

How better is it with the upgraded headlamps. Please share some information on the same.
Yes, I did. After a hunt of 4-5 hours, I found ceramic holders for H4 and upgraded to 80W X 4, Philips. The battery mechanic installed new wiring and a relay. I dont know further details. Its atleast 30% better than before and on the highways, its sufficient now.
Old 11th January 2011, 18:33   #99
Senior - BHPian

Its been some time since I updated on my Grande Fiat Palio. I have moved to 14 inch Alloys now(thanks everyone for suggestions on what looks best for my Palio), HRS make and also wider tires. The tires are of Federal make and the profile is 205/60/R14. They seem to run great. Feels lot better at braking and cornering. Its just around 100 kms that I have driven with these tires, so too early to comment.

I also had been to a scenic location on Sunday to capture some photographs of my red beauty. It was captured by Sujith1100, Arun1100, GreenDay and Karthik1100. I will post the pictures of the car and the interiors in a week. The number of pictures clicked were too huge in number and very high resolution, so I need to find time to go get it from their individual houses. I am crippled with a busted camera, no no pics from my side.

I also visited the service center today to replace the oil. Prerana motors hosur road were courteous enough to entertain me even though I hadnt taken a prior appointment. Thanks to Surendra, the service advisor, who ensured I was not inconvinced and got the work done in a jiffy.

I also am planning a trip to Goa in the weekend. A lot of pictures from there as well as my driving report @ 5000kms can be expected some time next week.

The only pending thing for my red Palio is seat covers. I am still undecided whether to go for fabric or pure leather seats.

Until I post a lot of pictures, here is a video of my Palio driving on a mud road. I hope the alloys and tires are visible enough.

Stay tuned to this thread. A lot and lot more to come. Until then, enjoy this video:

Video courtesy: Sujith1100
Old 11th January 2011, 18:59   #100
BHPian

That's a beautiful Video Karthik. Your Grande Palio indeed looks hot tasting dirt! Would have been lil better if the Cam was on a Tripod.

Btw, How much did you shell out for the alloys & tires?

Now eagerly waiting for the photos!

Cheers
Lloyd
lloydofcochin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2011, 19:14   #101
Senior - BHPian

^ Thanks LLoyd! There are lot of photos and videos to come by. I too am desperately waiting to see them. The alloys costed me 17.5k for a set of 5. The tires costed me 17.5k for a set of 5. I got the tires and alloys fitted at a different place. I have installed the hub centric rings as suggested by H14. Nitrogen filled and alignment also was checked. The service folk at Prerana motors too were appreciating the hub centric rings and also told that if the wheel is removed for any reason, putting it back is a very very easy task as the ring gives support for inseting the lug nuts.
funkykar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2011, 19:24   #102
BANNED

As always, an ocean of Desire is admired by many. But possessed by few. FIATS are Back.

Congrats Karthik. Good to see you clocking lots of miles so fast!! The video is just amazing!
Old 12th January 2011, 00:07   #103
Senior - BHPian

The photoshoot was planned for just my FIAT. But something more happened!

Pics by Karthik1100.
Attached Thumbnails
TATA - FIAT Palio Stile MJD : Crafted by FIAT specially for ME!-1.jpg  

Old 12th January 2011, 00:08   #104

Woooh! Karthik she looks awsome in that video!
Right on, I've driven both, Palio 1.2 ELX(2001 model) with 195 profile tyres and Punto 1.3 Emotion(2010 model) with stock tyres, for about 1000Kms and I too felt that both Punto and Palio handle equally well. But, do you miss the ABS? as I've experienced number of times on the Punto when the ABS came in handy to pull me out of nervous moves (Yes, I've pushed the Punto harder than the Palio ). And, I would like to tell you that after seeing your walk-around video, I was so captivated that I called up the new TATA-FIAT dealer(Classic) in Udaipur on 27th Dec.2010 and after call conferencing with FIAT's regional sales manager (yes, the FIAT guy talked directly to me i.e. a customer!) I was told that only one Bossa Nova White SDX is lying at Ranjangaon plant! But, before I could even think it was picked-up by some dealer in south.
While the ruggedness can be heard in the video(when she stops near the camera), she also looks more elegant with those alloys and complete with the meaty tyres. Don't forget to post the interior pics covering all possible angles.
Old 12th January 2011, 12:41   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACFT View Post
Woooh! Karthik she looks awsome in that videoI too felt that both Punto and Palio handle equally well. But, do you miss the ABS?

And, I would like to tell you that after seeing your walk-around video, I was so captivated that I called up the new TATA-FIAT dealer(Classic) in Udaipur on 27th Dec.2010 and after call conferencing with FIAT's regional sales manager (yes, the FIAT guy talked directly to me i.e. a customer!) I was told that only one Bossa Nova White SDX is lying at Ranjangaon plant! But, before I could even think it was picked-up by some dealer in south.

While the ruggedness can be heard in the video(when she stops near the camera), she also looks more elegant with those alloys and complete with the meaty tyres. Don't forget to post the interior pics covering all possible angles.
Hello NO! I dont miss the ABS or EBD. I come from the old school of car driving. Driving the 1100 which are all 4 drums, the 118 NE which are front disc rear drum, it has taught me effective braking. These 2 cars have trained me to brake and handle any modern day car. I already feel that the Palio's brakes are twice as effective of what I needed. Above 150, its a different story though. I felt the need for better braking only above 150KMPH, hence the enhanced tires.

Sorry to hear that you just lost the opportunity of owning a SDX. Just stay tuned and followup every fortnight, you may get lucky. Unconfirmed sources have said that once Fiat delivers all the Palios booked under Dhamaka offer (booked until Aug2010 roughly), Fiat will continue to produce some 25 cars a month. If this is so, in a month or 2, you may get an opportunity to own one

Interior, exterior, ICE, tires, alloys and everything on my car - the pictures and videos will be posted in week or two.

Most Viewed