Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2011, 15:46   #76

Re: Totally 'CAPTIVA'ted - My Chevrolet Captiva!

Hi Anant,
On long drive, full capacity and AC at 3, how does the vehicle respond? Do the passengers on the last row get sufficient AC?

Had look of the Fortunner on Saturday (26th Feb 2011). Looks massive from outside as well as inside. However the interiors were an absolute dampner and for the lack of features an ex-showroom prise of 20L i guess is high.

Regards,
Jagadeesh
Old 28th February 2011, 17:57   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Hi Anant,
On long drive, full capacity and AC at 3, how does the vehicle respond? Do the passengers on the last row get sufficient AC?

Had look of the Fortunner on Saturday (26th Feb 2011). Looks massive from outside as well as inside. However the interiors were an absolute dampner and for the lack of features an ex-showroom prise of 20L i guess is high.

Regards,
Jagadeesh
Hi Jagadeesh,

We have been on quite a few long drives. One was Bangalore-Hubli, which is around 415 kms. We did it in 4.5 hours flat. The vehicle behaved very very well actually. Much more than our expectations. We thought there would be body roll and the middle row passengers would be uncomfortable, but to our surprise we were quite comfortable. Not much body roll. We were 7 members and none of us felt any discomfort during our travel. With 7 people, one doesn't feel any lack of power as we observe in some cars. Of course, because of the load, the braking is not that accurate/powerful but never goes to a point where its uncomfortable. Vehicle felt well damped over potholes. Steering gets heavier with speed. Overall a wonderful experience.

As far as the AC is concerned, the last row passengers would have to bear for about 4 to 5 mins before it gets cooled evenly. What helped for us is the sunroof. Open it fully and all the heat is vanished in seconds, literally. Hope this answers your queries.

Regards,
Anant.
Old 1st March 2011, 09:37   #78
BHPian

Absence of 2nd and 3rd row of AC is the ONLY minor flaw in Captiva.
1-Testosterone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2011, 15:27   #79

Folks, just got my Captiva LTZ on Thursday from Geeyem, Kerala. Got it registered the next day and drove to Bangalore yesterday. Fantastic drive, I must say. The only bad part of the drive was the bumpy ride on the bad stretches of NH47 in Kerala, especially the one between Thrissur and Palakkad. Couldn't believe it is part of a national highway. The car had 95km or so on the odo when I took delivery because it had to come from the main showroom to our local one. Drove another 50 odd km before driving to Bangalore. And then this long drive of about 650+ km. This has got a superb engine and I just didn't expect this much of response from the 2L engine in such a big vehicle.

Initially, after the first 75km or so, the FE was above 10kmpl. However, the ride was a bit too rough on some of the stretches and I think the Captiva ended up being a bad choice. Didn't want to believe that I made the wrong decision after thinking of all kinds of options including used Beemers and Mercs. Thought there is something wrong and felt the tyre pressure may not be right. Checked and found it at 45 psi! Brought it down to the suggested pressure of 35 psi and the ride was awesome after that. However, bad roads still offered the bumpy feel. I have no experience on such highways in any other SUV or sedan, so not sure if this would be the case in another premium car.

FE started dropping after that and settled at 9.1. Not sure why the dealership set it at 45 psi. Quite a surprise as they must know the right pressure.

The OTR price was 21.93L and then I added the running boards (steps) for 26.5k. The dealer gave away a reverse parking camera with 7'' display. The display fixed on the rear view mirror also has USB and SD card slots that are missing in the built-in audio system Seems like I'm all set except for a navigation system that I may add some time in near future, but not really a high priority at this point.

Not sure whether it's the cars or the drivers, but able to cruise past fortuners and lauras which are supposed to be having more powerful engines for the size of those cars. Also, speeds of 120-130 kmph didn't really feel like more than 90kmph to people sitting in the car. It has been quite pleasing and have decided to drive quite a bit on highways now which I have done much in India. Also, decided to make most of the future trips to Kerala by car. Never thought driving can be so pleasing on our roads :-) Just wish the Kerala roads were all as good as the ones in TN and other states.

Have a question for other owners:
What is the ideal tyre pressure for best ride comfort and also to balance other factors? Is 35 psi which I set good enough or should it really be higher as the dealer had set it to 45 psi?
Old 23rd March 2011, 14:28   #80
BHPian

33 - Front
35 - Back
Old 28th March 2011, 22:29   #81

Thank you, Testosterone!!!

On FE, I was wrong. The display is not FE as kmpl but litter for 100km which I didn't notice earlier. So, it got to its best of 9.1 litter for 100 after my long kerala-bangalore drive and now it's 10.3litter for 100km which means less than 10kmpl. However, it is still awesome FE for me as my CRV on petrol used to give only between 7 and 7.5kmpl in city. Even the petrol sedans I drove in the past few years (accent and fiesta) were giving only around 9kmpl, so this is great on diesel.
Old 17th April 2011, 12:24   #82
BHPian

The display does not give the correct consumption. I too got fooled and was pleased that my AWD was giving me over 10kmpl in the city. I did a fulll tank to tank test and the actual mileage turned out to be shade below 9 kmpl. Thats still ok by me though !
Old 15th June 2011, 14:37   #83
Senior - BHPian

Hi Anant,,

I believe the first two services are over for your chevy... How do you rate the Chevrolet service? What are the average service/repair costs? Are the spares expensive?

Please share your experiences.

regards,

Nitin
Old 25th September 2011, 21:35   #84
BHPian

anant/ girish,

Please share your ownership experience. eagerly waiting to know more about the ownership
Old 13th March 2016, 01:05   #85

Good Day, Sir
Can you please advice me ,on the sensibility of going in for a used chevrolet captiva LTZ AWD 2011 model .What do you think of the running costs of the vehicle and what do you think will be the pros and cons of going for this vehicle rather than new breed of compact SUV's in the market presently ( aprrehensive due to less power and seating capacity ) . Your valuable advice will be much appreciated.
Old 23rd March 2016, 18:25   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitsass View Post
Good Day, Sir
Can you please advice me ,on the sensibility of going in for a used chevrolet captiva LTZ AWD 2011 model .What do you think of the running costs of the vehicle and what do you think will be the pros and cons of going for this vehicle rather than new breed of compact SUV's in the market presently ( aprrehensive due to less power and seating capacity ) . Your valuable advice will be much appreciated.
I am half through a long term review. That may take a while. But here are the highlights .
As regards the running costs, , the car gives about 9 kms in the city and the same on the highway if you maintain average speeds of 100 km/h and/or drive consistently at above 120 kms/h.
Apart from normal servicing I have not had any other expenses, in the last 5 years of ownership. The servicing interval is 7500 kms and i am now doing 2 services per year. The average cost is about rs 10000 per service except for servicing at 30,000 km intervals when it go up to Rs 30,000 .
Compared to the new gen SUV look alikes, one can compare this to the Duster or the Creta, since the Captiva is also a monocoque and not a ladder frame , So one cant really compare the Captiva to a Fortuner or the Endeavour, despite the LTZ being a AWD. The Captiva is not a serious offroader though it can get you out of sticky situations , if pressed. The insides are a bit dated as essentially we are compariing 2011 model to a 2016 model. So it does not have a great display unit giving you all details or a GPS etc. The 3 rd row is fit for kids or for short people but quite claustrophobic. . But neither the 2nd or the 3rd row, have AC vents , which is a huge problem Dont count on the 3rd row. AC is fine in Bangalore but in really hot weather the 2nd row of seats suffers too.

On the other hand it is built solidly , has airbags and is a heavy vehicle and i feel safe inside. Its a CBU , so every part and component is from Korea The sound insulation is good .The sound system is fine by me. With the 3 rd row folded , which is all the time in my case , there is huge luggage space. . I love the surge of power the 1998 cc engine gives you, Even in the city , you leave all the other cars standing at the signals . I have done several long distance rides and the car is very comfortable at 120 kms and can keep going all day at that speed. I have topped speeds of 160 kms on occasions and the car feels planted .
This car has everything and more which the new gen cars offer , except the fancy display unit, Bluetooth and cruise control. So if the price is right , the Captiva is a good buy. I have never had reason to regret.

Only one word of caution. GM is losing dealers and I have no idea what GMs approach is to the Indian market. So one could have issues with the dealers .
vgsr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2017, 17:24   #87
BHPian

Need chevrolet captiva rear shock absorbers

Hi All,

I need chevrolet captiva rear shock absorbers. I came across this site, could you please suggest or has anyone done any purchase from this site?

https://boodmo.com/catalog/3359-shoc...rolet-captiva/

Please guide.

Thanks in Advance.

Most Viewed