Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2010, 12:00   #31
BHPian

re: Sea grey Figo TDCi : One year report @17000KMs

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
Argh!!! I understand it pretty much!!

BTW I do remember a member doing some jugaad to add the dead pedal. Let me see if I can find the link. He just addeda wooden pedal to left of clutch, I personally thought it does more harm than good. Is there any way one can "install", properly I mean, a dead pedal for Figo or any car for that matter?

*Installed* - Dead Pedal in my Mahindra Scorpio

There you go, it's a very recent thread. But the difference is that the scorpio has lots of space to the left of the clutch pedal, which unfortunately the Figo lacks in.
Old 28th December 2010, 12:06   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
*Installed* - Dead Pedal in my Mahindra Scorpio

There you go, it's a very recent thread. But the difference is that the scorpio has lots of space to the left of the clutch pedal, which unfortunately the Figo lacks in.
Ahh!!! There is lot of space there.

I just got the other thread where a Figopian did something similar but less professional. Its here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post1866453

I dont think I can really drive if there is a pedal like that. So I guess, we will have to rest our case concluding that we cannot do anything but concluding that we cannot do anything!!
Old 28th December 2010, 15:43   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Deep Blue, hope the video helps
It works! Nice to see a lot of info, particularly the temperature. I will religiously warm the engine after overnight starts before pushing off.
Old 28th December 2010, 17:53   #34
BHPian

Hi anilisanil,
My mom has never driven a diesel car before and is considering the figo tdci, I just want some tips and standard procedures (like turning on or off the car) one should take to maintain the life of a diesel car. Also how is the performance of the figo tdci in comparison to other petrol cars, sorry if someone has already answered them somewhere else, just cant find these answers for modern diesels.
Thanks
Prankit
Old 28th December 2010, 18:26   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoriginal9321 View Post
Hi anilisanil,
My mom has never driven a diesel car before and is considering the figo tdci, I just want some tips and standard procedures (like turning on or off the car) one should take to maintain the life of a diesel car. Also how is the performance of the figo tdci in comparison to other petrol cars, sorry if someone has already answered them somewhere else, just cant find these answers for modern diesels.
Thanks
Prankit

I just let you know what I follow-
  • idle the car for atleast 30 secs (may be more in winters) before you start/stop.
  • Get aquainted with lots of torque, Figo has got a lot of low end torque where one does not require to use the gas pedal for gaining momentum, just engage the gear, the car chucks along.
  • This is related to the first point, do not floor the gas pedal until the engine heats up (you can judge that by sound) flooring the engine when it is still cold may lead to increased wear and tear.
I could only think of those, as I said earlier Figo's power delivery is linear making its city drive ability smooth, all you need to do is to know when to change the gears and how often. Being a diesel Figo requires comparitvely lesser gear changes than petrol.
Old 28th December 2010, 18:31   #36
BHPian

Thanks for the prompt answers!
One more quick question, is there anything specific to follow while turning the car off/on in a traffic jam or at a red light? I guess the engine is still hot so it doesnt need idling.
Also, is there any type of light or indicator which shows you if the engine is ready to run, i mean after turning the car on in cold conditions?
Thanks
Old 28th December 2010, 18:39   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoriginal9321 View Post
Thanks for the prompt answers!
One more quick question, is there anything specific to follow while turning the car off/on in a traffic jam or at a red light? I guess the engine is still hot so it doesnt need idling.
Also, is there any type of light or indicator which shows you if the engine is ready to run, i mean after turning the car on in cold conditions?
Thanks
There is no such indicator, the air entering the engine should be preheated if it does not have enough temperature which is taken care of by glow plugs, Figo does not have a dedicate temp display, but it is not of big concern too, the engine does heat up in 5-7 kms, so it is adviseable to not to do high speeds immediately after cold starting the engine (this is in spite of idling).

As for the starting/stopping during red, it depends on the signal. However, I do not stop unless I know I am going to stop for more than 2 minutes. I however do not encounter too many such reds so may be I am wrong one to answer!
Old 28th December 2010, 18:43   #38
Senior - BHPian

For long drives, I normally kept a different set of footwear for use within the car. It helps a tad when there is no dead pedal - cant really explain how, maybe its just the feel!
For the question about the absence of power windows, IMHO it is better to have a larger glass area with no power windows and partial opening, than to have power windows for a foot tall claustrophobic glass area. anyway some of us never drive the glass down throughout - the weather/ traffic conditions do not allow for this luxury. you can also tell them that you are saving them from pollution
thanks for the reminder about idling, somehow I never followed this - should keep it in mind!
Old 28th December 2010, 19:03   #39
BHPian

Good write up Anil. You should in fact pen more, travelogues and such. You have a knack for it! I too've been extolling the virtues of 3rd gear to people who would listen. Love that one slot a lot!
Old 28th December 2010, 22:10   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Ahh!!! There is lot of space there.

I dont think I can really drive if there is a pedal like that. So I guess, we will have to rest our case concluding that we cannot do anything but concluding that we cannot do anything!!
Thanks anilsanil & jayded. Yes. you seem to be right.
I wish all cars could come with dead pedal which does not cost much but is great convenience. Only Fabia, Punto, and Hyundai hatches come with one as OEM.
Old 29th December 2010, 01:18   #41
BHPian

Quote:
How did I do this?

Attachment 473263

I think it is common for an owner of a car newly launched in the market, to discover new features of the car. There are many things that I have discovered over 5 months of ownership. But most of them are already known to many and have been reported elsewhere.

So let me bring in to you something that I discovered about figo by sheer accident. It is how to make your digital odo show a host of information!
Thats a really nice hidden thing in the Figo.

Will try it for sure and will let u know.

By the way u told how to enter in the test mode but you didnt tell how to exit from it.

Last edited by .anshuman : 29th December 2010 at 17:18. Reason: Quoted Video removed.
Old 29th December 2010, 08:52   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel lover View Post
Thats a really nice hidden thing in the Figo.

Will try it for sure and will let u know.

By the way u told how to enter in the test mode but you didnt tell how to exit from it.
once you enter test mode you will stay there until you turn off the ignition
Old 29th December 2010, 16:41   #43
BHPian

Quote:
once you enter test mode you will stay there until you turn off the ignition
ok.

And what if I drive the car while it is in test mode? Will the speedo n tacho needle work ? Will the odo counter and DTE counter work (although they wont be visible in test mode) ?

Do you daily start the car in test mode and wait till the temp reaches optimum level ? Then u turn off the ignition and restart it again or simply drive in test mode?

I know these are some baseless queries. It wud be great if u answer them.
Old 29th December 2010, 16:49   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel lover View Post
ok.

And what if I drive the car while it is in test mode? Will the speedo n tacho needle work ? Will the odo counter and DTE counter work (although they wont be visible in test mode) ?

Do you daily start the car in test mode and wait till the temp reaches optimum level ? Then u turn off the ignition and restart it again or simply drive in test mode?

I know these are some baseless queries. It wud be great if u answer them.

I will ask you a question- will the ODO stop clocking if you keep your meter in DTE mode?

To answer your question, the ODO will continue to work and will not get reset. I did drive twice or so with temperature meter on, which is how I came to know how long did i take to reach the optimum temperature.

But yeah, I dont do acrobatics to siwtch between modes nor am I extremely finicky about what is going on on the meter, I just used initially to know about the engine characteristics. I still do not know most of the readings (there are some 12-14 readings I guess) except for speed, tacho, temperature and voltage. Somehow I wish if there is real time mileage reading, but it is not being shown :(
Old 30th December 2010, 22:58   #45
BHPian

Quote:
I also upgraded to Phillips extreme which cost me 1000
Hi Anil

Will try the test feature on my figo also very soon.

Also wanted to knw whether this headlights upgrade helped in better illumination ?

I am thinking of upgrading the lights and would love to hear about ur experience on this.

Are they really worth the money spent ?

Another thing is that I am also planning for the front fog lamps since here its quite cold and due to dense fog, they might prove a boon.

Should I go for both the upgrades at the same time or do it one at a time ?

What do u suggest?

Thanks for ur precious time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks