Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2011, 10:50   #46
BHPian

Re: My Skoda Yeti: just the right amount of SUV !

Quote:
Originally Posted by niranjanrvce View Post
I was referring to the EGL complex.
So if you start the car, slot the gear into first and just leave the clutch the car does NOT stall and starts chugging along at 9kmph?! That's AT like behavior. Are you sure you can do this from standstill? If yes, that's a very clever touch to manage city driving in India.
Then there sure is a second red Yeti lurking somewhere in Bangalore. And yes I am absolutely sure about the behaviour in 1st and 2nd gear. I use that everyday in my office commute which is via very slow traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.anand View Post
When I TD'd the Yeti, I particularly didn't like the clutch as compared to my car. If was not firm, a bit loose and vibrating a bit, was told the diesels are that way. By firm, what do you mean, is it heavy?
It is just that the clutch play/travel is a little long. I remember one of he skodas I test-drove (now I am confused if it was the Laura or the Yeti) had a very short clutch play.
Old 12th January 2011, 12:32   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryManUnited View Post
I tried a little experiment today. I wanted to see how fast can the Yeti be driven without touching the accelerator. So I started from standstill and then slotted first. 9 kmph. Without pressing the A-pedal I slotted the 2nd. Still no accelerator and the car settled at 19kmph. Slotted the 3rd. STALL. So the conclusion is that the car can be driven in 1st and 2nd gear without using the accelerator. Just the hack needed to overcome the stalling issues in bumper to bumper traffic. I am quite adept at this by now.
That's true of the diesel Verna I own and the diesel Octavia I've driven though the speeds may be different from 9 kmph and 19 kmph. So I am wondering if it's a feature with diesel cars or specific to Yeti.

Cheers,
Old 12th January 2011, 13:11   #48
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

This is mostly standard for all diesels today- called anti stall - one can continue driving the car in first, second and in some cars even third without pressing on the accelerator.

But the car would stall as soon as one comes to a halt in any of these gears using the brake without pressing the clutch. Else it will crawl on.

This was true even for the TCIC safari from years back and is true even for the new Aria - in both cases it works even in third gear.
Old 12th January 2011, 13:49   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
This is mostly standard for all diesels today- called anti stall - one can continue driving the car in first, second and in some cars even third without pressing on the accelerator.

But the car would stall as soon as one comes to a halt in any of these gears using the brake without pressing the clutch. Else it will crawl on.

This was true even for the TCIC safari from years back and is true even for the new Aria - in both cases it works even in third gear.
That is some great information. Thanks. Do you know if there is any detrimental effect on the clutch if the car is driven this way?
Old 13th January 2011, 00:52   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post

Though i am not sure if it is a feature or resultant of the enourmous torque which is available in most diesel engines. I have also used the same in my Scorpio & can even do it is 3rd & sometimes 4th gear!!!!
Though i personally believe lugging like this will surely have some impact on the clutch, may be gurus can help more!!!
Old 16th January 2011, 18:33   #51
BHPian

Congratulations GloryManUnited. I had seen your car the first day it arrived at your parking lot. I think the sunflower at the back was not there initially and only yesterday I noticed that.
Amazing car. Enjoy!
Old 2nd February 2011, 19:18   #52
BHPian

So I just finished the first 1000KM and am totally enjoying owning this piece of art. I ensured I kept the revs below 3000 RPM and now for the next 500 KM it is recommended that I rev the engine towards the redline with gradual acceleration. That is easier said than done. The engine makes a lot of noise past 3500 RPM so I am not sure if this is good idea? I also wonder whether I should be red-lining in all the gears?? Someone with experience please help me understand this !!

Some good bits and some bad ones thus far ...

The gearshift in not exactly a short throw at-least compared to the ikon. If is slightly longer in feel. On the positive side, I probably never slotted a wrong gear with this stick. Surprising since a lot of reviews mentioned that the gear slots are bunched close together.

I don't like the feature where 2 presses on the remote open all the doors. I would have preferred a single press. On the positive side, a single press of the lock button locks all the doors and turns off the headlight if I forget to turn it off. So at the end of the journey, just step out and press the lock button once for complete shutdown. Very convenient.

The lane change indicator feature is good too. Just a small tug at the indicator stalk and the indicator blinks thrice.

The under-thigh support even in the front seats is a little short for a 6 footer like me. May lead to fatigue on long drives. The seat is comfortable overall with adjustable lumbar support.

The overall efficiency so far has been around 11.5 kmpl. Most of my drives have been in stop and go traffic in Bangalore south. The FE jumps to 13-14 the moment I drive on roads that let me engage the fifth gear. I have been using regular diesel. Just 2 visits to the petrol pump so far in about 40 days of ownership ! Each time I filled about 50L.
Old 2nd February 2011, 20:40   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I don't like the feature where 2 presses on the remote open all the doors.
One press only opens the driver's door?

Security. You might appreciate it if you ever get back to your car to find some undesirables hanging around. You would appreciate it if you had to park in some dodgy London streets or multi-storey car parks!

Might be nice, of course, if this sort of thing was programmable.
Old 2nd February 2011, 21:53   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

Security. You might appreciate it if you ever get back to your car to find some undesirables hanging around. You would appreciate it if you had to park in some dodgy London streets or multi-storey car parks!

I agree some of us may prefer this way. But then that is why it needs to be programmable. A minor nit this is though.
Old 11th March 2011, 16:39   #55

Congratulations (belated) on your purchase !

I got mine a couple of weeks ago, and it's just as you described. Fantastic !

You were spot on about the tyre inflation pressures - mine came with 50 PSI on all four. In fact, I've raised the topic on this forum under the Skoda Yeti - tyre pressure section.

What tyre pressures seems to be working well for you ? I shall try out the same.

Best,
Krishna
Old 13th March 2011, 23:18   #56
BHPian

34 front, 32 rear ! Read that off someone's post on tbhp and its workin for me !

Congrats for a fab purchase. Which color did u pick?
Old 18th March 2011, 01:12   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Caught a glimpse of my first yeti-in-the-flesh today. It is smaller than I expected (an advantage); looks cuter in real life than in the photos (an advantage); and, generally, just looks a whole lot better than I thought It would. I was sold on the concept; now I'm sold on the car too --- apart from the little matter of being able to afford one.
Old 18th March 2011, 01:19   #58
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryManUnited View Post
I agree some of us may prefer this way. But then that is why it needs to be programmable. A minor nit this is though.
This and many other features are programmable through Vag-Com. Read more:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...g-vag-com.html
Old 14th April 2011, 20:47   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by busdriverkumar View Post
Congratulations (belated) on your purchase !

I got mine a couple of weeks ago, and it's just as you described. Fantastic !

You were spot on about the tyre inflation pressures - mine came with 50 PSI on all four. In fact, I've raised the topic on this forum under the Skoda Yeti - tyre pressure section.

What tyre pressures seems to be working well for you ? I shall try out the same.

Best,
Krishna
Krishna, How have been the past four weeks with your Yeti. Mine has clocked well over 6,000 km, with no trouble. Love to read about your experience. If you have already written about it please do point me to the thread.

I too had noticed abnormally high pressure on my tyres post delivery. I wonder why they do that. It could be outright dangerous. I had also mentioned it to Skoda, when they called me for a follow-up call.
Old 15th April 2011, 10:52   #60
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

this is a nice feature also available on the top spec Subaru that I used recently and other vehicles as well. this special programmable security system is very sensible in our cities where crime rates are ever increasing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

Most Viewed