Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2011, 14:04   #76
Senior - BHPian

re: VW Jetta - 2 Years & 2nd Service Completed!

Quote:
On second thoughts can anyone throw some light on whether sunfilm is required in view of the following which appears on decoding the VIN:
Sun film is definitely required for the chennai heat. Just consider the HOT country reference is not applicable for a place like chennai. There is a marked difference in adding a sun film to the windshield.

Quote:
new Jettas having the bottle opener
I am pretty sure the cars came with the bottle opener and i am pretty sure the service guys flicked it from every other car. As we dont care about chasing them for the bottle opener. I never got mine when i took the car. And i am sure someone flicked it.

Quote:
AIR CIRCULATION switch that has been provided is a CLIMATIC switch. Illustrations I am referring to are attached below. Have any of you noticed and/ or received any clarifications for this?
The car does not have automatic recirculation mode. Re-circulation is manual. And i never went into such details to check the difference. May be will throw a question to the GM here.

Quote:
9W0 - W/o car phone preparation/installation
I am sure we can retrofil a blue tooth module. The module is usually fitted below the seats in european and American car. We can get the currenly upgraded blue tooth kit and fit the same. Read it somewhere in TDI forums.

Hope this helps.
Old 27th June 2011, 15:19   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
I am pretty sure the cars came with the bottle opener and i am pretty sure the service guys flicked it from every other car. As we dont care about chasing them for the bottle opener. I never got mine when i took the car. And i am sure someone flicked it.
I think you should ask the dealership - they all know about it - the cup holders are useless without the opener in between - its supposed to be a dual purpose item - you can slide it to hold a bigger/ smaller cup.

Quote:
The car does not have automatic recirculation mode. Re-circulation is manual. And i never went into such details to check the difference. May be will throw a question to the GM here.
In my view, since its sold as a climatronic the necessary buttons (as shown in the manual) should be there. The GM better have a good answer to this one!

Quote:
I am sure we can retrofil a blue tooth module. The module is usually fitted below the seats in european and American car. We can get the currenly upgraded blue tooth kit and fit the same. Read it somewhere in TDI forums.
But can one then use the call button on the steering to operate it?
Old 27th June 2011, 16:09   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But can one then use the call button on the steering to operate it?
The buttons in the steering wheel will become fully functional. only catch is the cost. Close to 30K
Old 27th June 2011, 16:27   #79
BHPian

Holy Cow! I think I'm ok with my non-wireless handsfree
Old 10th July 2011, 21:24   #80
Senior - BHPian

Here is a development. Was driving my car and after around 30 minutes the Re-circulation button just went of. The car started to read temperatures totally different. Setting 26 usually cooled the car enough for me. Today @ 26 the car was throwing hot air. Setting the temperature to 19 started to cool but as if it was trying to set the car to 24.

Think one the below is conked.
- Temperature sensor
- O2 sensor

Going to take it this week and get this rectified.
Old 10th July 2011, 21:30   #81
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Here is a development. Was driving my car and after around 30 minutes the Re-circulation button just went of. The car started to read temperatures totally different. Setting 26 usually cooled the car enough for me. Today @ 26 the car was throwing hot air. Setting the temperature to 19 started to cool but as if it was trying to set the car to 24.

Think one the below is conked.
- Temperature sensor
- O2 sensor

Going to take it this week and get this rectified.
Was it raining heavily by any chance? Where did the o2 sensor come into the picture?
Old 11th July 2011, 07:13   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Where did the o2 sensor come into the picture?
The Faulty Catalytic converter warning light is either the catalytic converter has some fault or the oxygen sensor (conked). It was prevalent in the early MK3 and MK4's. So i am guessing if its just an Oxygen sensor. I am praying its not a chew everything at sight rat issue.
Old 11th July 2011, 10:54   #83
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The Faulty Catalytic converter warning light is either the catalytic converter has some fault or the oxygen sensor (conked). It was prevalent in the early MK3 and MK4's. So i am guessing if its just an Oxygen sensor. I am praying its not a chew everything at sight rat issue.
But you didn't mention anything about a warning light coming on hence I asked the question.
Old 6th August 2011, 10:55   #84
Senior - BHPian

Update -

The oxygen sensor in the front had wires slightly messed by a rat. Luckily nothing required apart from re-taping the wires.

New issue:-

Car suspension is squeaking a little bit. It almost feels like the strut mount bush is rubbing with the metal while going at less than 20Kmph, with no sound.

With a music system on, i cant hear any sound. Only on very close inspection i could hear the sound.

To check the same i jacked the front wheel up and slowly jacked down. There is a definitely squeaking noise on the upper strut mount. It feels like the rubber part is making a noise with the body at the contact point.

THinking of getting the below and spraying the same.
ATP - ATP Re-Seal®, 8 oz. (AT205)

Note -
-There are not leakage in the bushing.
- Just feels the bushings are very dry
- No thud/clunk or any other noise
- Suspension works very well at all speeds and no sound when the suspension works
- Only on very close inspection could i find this

Onsearching the net it does appear the squeaking is a common sign in suspension where the climate changes from HOT to cold or vice versa.

I took it to the service centre where a friendly mechanic inspected and told it was nothing to worry now.

I am going to Coimbatore, but after i am back i am definitely going to ask the mechanic to lubricate the bushings to see if the noise goes off.

We did a DIY process to remove and clean the complete front grill. Will post in details. Just a heads up on the picture after removal.

Its exactly 15 minute process to open, clean and put it back. Cleaned the grill itself, radiator shield, the trays to remove any thing that a rat may like, place some dry tobacco leaves, clean horns and just the satisfaction of you being part of your car makes it a great exercise.

Old 16th August 2011, 19:14   #85
Senior - BHPian

Update after 1300km trip:-

Stablity - Car is highly stable and with the kind of roads we have one can easilly do an average of 90-100 KM/H. The safety factor is far more doing this average compared to my earlier swift. My Swift safe average was around 80.

Noise - Car is definitely sound proof compared to many. But above 100 the wind noise and the engine noise slightly filter in. We basically drove without music for close to 8 hours. That gives us more confidence that we will never upgrade any music system in this car.

Power:- Car has enough power from 100-140. At 140 the car starts to take a little longer to reach 160 let alone 180. Till 140 there aint much of a drag that is felt or struggle that we associate.

Braking :- Braking from 140 to 60 for sudden lorry movements was not scary, it was rather assuring. 120-60 felt far far safe and from 100-60/40 just felt like driving in city traffic. If you are moving up from Drum brakes learn to hit a disc brake the proper way. Let the brake module take care of "how to brake".

Suspension and GC - GC is very well enough. And with stiffer suspension the ride sits perfectly at those speeds and cornering at 100/120 is never a problem with a very mild body roll on tougher curves. Yet the car sits and makes the driver feel closer to the ground and assuring to complete the curve. Never scraped any thing throughout the trip(touch wood).

AC - AC was fantastic all throughout. Was at either 23 or 25.

Steering - Steering feels far better compared to city driving. City driving is not difficult but high way driving gets easier. The steering is slightly stiffer and that works out very well in the high way. Almost feels the steering stiffness gets adjusted dynamically. Could be programmable as i read in some forums. But dont know yet.

Seating - Rear seat is the most comfortable seat in Jetta. But the option of sitting in the rear seat while driving was not there. So the front seats are absolutely fantastic. Zero strain after driving straight 8 hours with a stop for breakfast.

Other details:-

Oil Consumption - Not much as i worried when i started. May be half a point and slightly below the uppre limit.

Tyres - Had a flat tyre. The german design is very evident for easy mount/unmount. Took me 10-14 minutes to change to spare and move on. Fixing the flat was 120 rupees here. The spare is back in its slot while the fixed tyre moves the car. The jack is truley a fantastic design. Easiest and closely to those hydraullic jacks. One need not use force at any point , may be for removing the bolts.

Note:- Always raise the tyres(Handbrake on) and remove bolts. Hold tyres and slowly unmount them. Mounting is far easier.

FE - Total trip FE with lots on inner city travel was around 19.2kmpl.

Highway FE @ over 100 between 120-130 was around 21kmpl.

Overall was around 20KMPl.

Crazy facts - @100 in the highway the car feels like 40. @ 80 feels like "Can you please go"....We even tried 50kmph and felt like we could run faster than the car.

Most importantly, i started falling for the rear curves of this car. First time i saw the car parked in my office after 630Pm in dim lights. The curves just felt awesome.

On the return trip fell in love with the front end.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2011, 07:02   #86
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Update after 1300km trip
Thanks for the update VW2010. The car has done only 1300kms so far?
The Jetta is truly a fantastic product. And the mileage of 20kmpl is pretty awesome.
Old 20th October 2012, 16:28   #87
Senior - BHPian

Its been really a long while since i updated this thread....Wanted to update on somethings i was able to open up with VAG COM.

Car has run around 20K. Except for my Dog scratching the car big time its been doing ok.

The car has run close to 20 months now and things that has changed from initial impression or added to it:-

- Not one bit of rattle
- Excellent poise on highway
- BT module has made things easier except that i have a version of RCD that does not support controlling music via car. Can live with that.
- Have added LED based door sills. Does not look cheap but fun. Suits my cars color so have no regrets.
- Rats do give a hard time but have been able to use some methods to protect the car so far. Touch wood.
- Lumbar support did turn out to be mildly useful.
- Rear windshield sun screen installed and works well after removal of sun film.
- Lost one tyre when it got punctured while driving back from Bangalore. Had to drive in a single lane traffic to avoid creating a traffic nonsense and park it when i got some space. Got a replacement.
- Mud gaurd is useful but the rear guard scrapes speed breakers sometime.
- Takes bad road with so much ease. Talks a lot about the suspension. Bad roads will take Jetta than other cars. For ride is very comfortable.

Now let me come back to VAG COM Changes. There are quite a few hidden features these cars have that are disabled straight out of the factory. And the MKVI or 2011 jetta has even more features for sure.

1) Enabling disabling DRL(2011 version)
2) Sound alarm when locking and unlocking.
3) Fog lamps as DRL (Should work in 2010 models as well).
4) Voice command which is pretty useful.
5) Fog lams that turn on when your use your indicators making it adaptive while you are trying to turn.
6) Fog lamps to turn on if you are trying to turn making it an additional light to assist turning.
7) Making alarm/mirror down/DRL available in MFD.

Interesting feature:-

- Using the rain sensor to enable roll up of windows. If you forget your roll down your windows and if it rains enabling this option automatically closes the window.

So far have tried these options. Will update this thread if i find anything else.

2011 should have more options. And i am sure similar options can be enabled for Skoda series as well. Will post some pictures and videos if possible.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2012, 20:14   #88

@VW 2010
hi,have received the bluetooth kit from car systems for my jetta Tsi.The service guys have agreed to install the kit but will require help from your side with the installation manual.Will be highly grateful if you can mail me a copy on my email spalyekar@yahoo.co.in (hope mentioning my email id is allowed by the mods).
will be waiting for your mail expectantly.thanks in advance.
Any other pearls of wisdom regarding the installation will be highly welcome.
Old 5th November 2012, 10:50   #89
Senior - BHPian

@loco

Just saw this. Will email you the pdf from home. You can also download a version from the Car systems site as well.

I will share what i have
Old 24th January 2013, 14:56   #90
Senior - BHPian

So i completed two years and the second service done on 21st. In short the only additional cost during this second service is the front brake pads. Only the brake pads.

- Total cost was 15K with around 4K for parts and labour of brake pads.

Did the service in ABRA as sundaram did not have dates and i didnt want to play around the service date and warranty knowing these companies can take you for a ride when we need their help.

ABRA has improved their services a lot. The car was handled well, cleaned and delivered spotless.

All niggles complained were attended and the SA has spent quality time to fix even minor squeak in the car where he has opened all doors, checked beadings, cleaned beadings and fixed them.

Overall satisfied with the service from ABRA at this point.

Only moot point is the 2.5% service charge for credit cards. A company this buy cannot be doing the simplest thing of taking these minor charges.

The service centre gave back the changed parts including the brake pads. Will post a picture later. The pads come with a sensor and i did question why they are changing if the sensor is yet to detect. The mechanic spoke to me directly and did explain that post another 1000km the pads would need to changed and it would mean another day in the service centre, extra cost and time. Anyway i was going to change so didnt mind the explanation.

There is difference in labor charges in ABRA compared to Sundaram. Sundaram is atleast 10-15% higher.

I am not going to jinx anything and say anything about the car.

Overall satisfied with service experience.
VW2010 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed