Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2011, 13:35   #1876
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
i had done a Sumo's interior around 10 years ago, when they were small shop, now they have moved onto the bigger league.

the photos of bestops are for illustration purpose ONLY! dont expect the same products from them.

yes they do make replicas for MM JEEPS and MG Gypsys.

one can take their own photos of anything you want them to make for you.
Sorry for going OT guys.

Dear Parm,

Thanks for the info. How would you rate their quality of work and how are their rates? What is the expected turnaround time for a hardtop conversion for example? Do you have any idea?
Old 2nd September 2011, 14:24   #1877
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Sorry for going OT guys.

Dear Parm,

Thanks for the info. How would you rate their quality of work and how are their rates? What is the expected turnaround time for a hardtop conversion for example? Do you have any idea?
the work i got done from them was top quality. 8 out of 10 in terms of workmanship, ideas implemented and price.

i havent got any work done from them regarding the hardtop conversion.

but im sure to go to them for hardtop for Thar MDI/ CRDe, whichever i buy. Gypsy i prefer to be soft top.
Old 2nd September 2011, 21:03   #1878
Senior - BHPian

I suppose this is the work done by Bimbra Industries:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...eview-119.html

The red thar with black hard top.Looks good and is pretty functional too.
Old 3rd September 2011, 11:25   #1879
Senior - BHPian

i would prefer a two part hard top for thar...

something like this..
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-dscf2971.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-dscf2969.jpg  

Parm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2011, 18:20   #1880
BHPian

The "modified" Thar adventure pictures- especially the one with the flesh colored top- which have been put up are "jarring to the senses" to put it mildly.I wonder who would want to shell out hard earned money and get their Thar, look like a hearse---!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
i would prefer a two part hard top for thar...

something like this..
Looks great!How much will it cost for this hard top?

Last edited by mobike008 : 5th September 2011 at 12:14. Reason: Back to back posts. Please wait for 30 Mins before next post or use EDIT button to make changes to existing post.
Old 4th September 2011, 10:47   #1881
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin_80 View Post
The mail I recieved on enquiring about a hard top, and some WIP pics that were sent.
Hey Nitin,
I dont think a Thar can look more uglier then this one.
KkVaidya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2011, 16:44   #1882
BHPian

It looks so much like the Roplas one! Just not worth the 2.5L I feel.
Old 5th September 2011, 00:12   #1883
Senior - BHPian

i like the high placement of the tailights on the C pillar, from the safety point of view (visible from far), the moving of the number plate onto the spare wheel along with the third brake light is a nice move. though the LED tailights are of cheap finished quality.

i would reserve my comments till i see the finished product.

the two sets of twin exhaust keep reminding me of the BMW M5, the lights in the rear bumper are not so nice.

any more pics of the front of the vehical?

Nanda ji its time your dept came out with a OEM finish and not a Mayapuri & Moga finish!
Old 6th September 2011, 12:35   #1884
BHPian

I would suggest all Thar owners who might have got the roll bars fitted, to remove the seats once and seal all the holes that the dealers must have left open while re-positioning the seats to accomodate the roll bar. I was horrified to find many holes, missing bolts, under the seat due to which the corners had started rusting because of the water that used to get in from underneath through these holes. The roll bar fitting was very shoddy.
Old 6th September 2011, 16:48   #1885
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Sorry for going OT guys.

Dear Parm,

Way back in 1994 i had got some customization work done by Bimbra's. This was the first hard top they had created in a MM540DP.

At that time it took over three months. We cut the roll bar to get an even flat surface for the roof. We installed genuine leather seats with headrests, beige carpets, music system, Air conditioning (Cooling only..Sanden), front bull bar, side steps made from metal pipes among many other things.

At that time the hard top alone costed 35-40,000/- Sadly the paint job was not upto the mark and the roof rusted within 2 years and developed leaks also. The Jeep was eventually sold to some gentleman from Punjab when i was abroad for studies. The Regn no was DL5CA3308. If anyone knows about its location or present condition i would be very happy.

I have only one grainy pic of it to share with you. This was before i replaced the Gypsy rims with 3 spoke Millenium Alloy Wheels. The tyres were MRF Zigmas.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-scan0002.jpg  

Old 15th September 2011, 11:54   #1886
AVR
BHPian

Not sure I understand the logic but a 4wd lifestyle vehicle like the Thar comes with Bridgestone Dueler Highway Terrains while their 2wd people carrier Xylo comes with Bridgestone Dueler All Terrains. What could be the point especially when many people who were to use the Thar the right way would atleast prefer All Terrain tyres.
Old 15th September 2011, 12:22   #1887
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
Not sure I understand the logic but a 4wd lifestyle vehicle like the Thar comes with Bridgestone Dueler Highway Terrains while their 2wd people carrier Xylo comes with Bridgestone Dueler All Terrains. What could be the point ....
It's a Jeep thing ... you won't understand

On a slightly more serious note, I guess this is one of those unexplainable facts of life involving Mahindra vehicles.

You want one more....I have seen some 2WD Boleros (passenger vehicles, not the maxi-truck) with FFRA, but there are some 4WD Mahindra vehicles with SFRA...why ????

One would logically expect it to be the other way around, right ?
Old 15th September 2011, 12:30   #1888
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
It's a Jeep thing ... you won't understand

On a slightly more serious note, I guess this is one of those unexplainable facts of life involving Mahindra vehicles.
Jeep things is only what I understand now but this is beyond me!

My take: The MM "Parts Bin" - Everyday they make multiple vehicles out of the available parts in the bin so someday you'll get extra bonus and someday things will be missing . Remember how there were "Bolero" marked stickers on the early Thars or the one reviewed by Team-bhp.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 19th September 2011 at 12:15. Reason: spelling
Old 19th September 2011, 11:50   #1889
BHPian

I see that the Thar ex-showroom Price has been revised to 6,31,400 from 5,99,000 that I got earlier this year. Apart from price increase due to inflation, wonder what enhancements have gone in to warrant this 30k increase.
Old 19th September 2011, 15:02   #1890
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
Not sure I understand the logic but a 4wd lifestyle vehicle like the Thar comes with Bridgestone Dueler Highway Terrains while their 2wd people carrier Xylo comes with Bridgestone Dueler All Terrains. What could be the point especially when many people who were to use the Thar the right way would atleast prefer All Terrain tyres.
Dear AVR - the answer to this one is very straightforward. Thar has to meet CMVR, means it must meet BS4 on chassis dynamometer (M1 category vehicle - white number plate) with "a" and "b" values defined clearly. Try and meet "a" and "b" with offroad tyres and see what emission you get. THERE WAS NO CHOICE. Further, who will do additional development of a tyre for such volumes?

Best regards,

Behram dhabhar

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks